03-20-15 02:03 PM
210 1234 ...
tools
    I say swap them. Go full Android and have a BlackBerry 10 runtime / or app solution to keep in compliance.
    Assuming BB had the money to pull this off, I would build a pure BB10 device minus the Android RT for highly secure customers that still demand BB phones. Keep the devices available for purchase to general consumers on the BB website. Offer one QWERTY and one touch or slider. Build a second line of phones for consumers with Android and skin it like BB10. As the Android division hopefully makes them money, they invest in maturing and building out the BB10 ecosystem, and eventually switch all devices back to BB10. Basically, they would do what Samsung is trying to do now with Tizen (and for good reason). Dumping BB10 entirely after all the time and effort they have put into maturing the OS would be a mistake. They had to have know that gaining traction in the market was going to be a long play for them.
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    03-05-15 04:09 PM
    For mass-market/consumers:

Full Android running BlackBerry Experience Suite (Hub, Calendar etc.)
    Not unlike how Android manufactures run their own skin on top of Android. HTC has Sense skin, Samsung has TouchWiz and so on. BlackBerry can skin it and call it BlackBerry Experience

For heavily regulated / security conscious industries:
    Existing BlackBerry 10 OS with Android run-time (as currently is the case: BES admin can enable/disable Android run-time, may enable it on personal side, but disable on work-side). This will prevent access to Google Play but that's a choice heavily regulated industries will make. If they want Android, they can go with consumer version (Android running BB Experience skin); if they want super security and lock everything down, they can go with BB 10 .

That's best of both worlds
    garrett1972 likes this.
    03-05-15 04:22 PM
    An Android Blackberry would have zero interest from me. There are so many Android devices out there so why would Blackberry be a better device?
    Dave Bourque and rthonpm like this.
    03-05-15 04:34 PM
    An Android Blackberry would have zero interest from me. There are so many Android devices out there so why would Blackberry be a better device?
    Nobody here convinced me that full android BlackBerry skin is the way to go. What advantage would that give other than android apps that run smoother. ( which can continue to be improved on in bb10)

Posted via CB10
    m1kr0 likes this.
    03-05-15 04:37 PM
    Because it would do the things BB10 does (hub, UI, share framework, etc), minus the extra secure portions which most consumers can't even take advantage of without BES.

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-05-15 04:40 PM
    Assuming BB had the money to pull this off, I would build a pure BB10 device minus the Android RT for highly secure customers that still demand BB phones. Keep the devices available for purchase to general consumers on the BB website. Offer one QWERTY and one touch or slider. Build a second line of phones for consumers with Android and skin it like BB10. As the Android division hopefully makes them money, they invest in maturing and building out the BB10 ecosystem, and eventually switch all devices back to BB10. Basically, they would do what Samsung is trying to do now with Tizen (and for good reason). Dumping BB10 entirely after all the time and effort they have put into maturing the OS would be a mistake. They had to have know that gaining traction in the market was going to be a long play for them.
    I suppose that would be a long term strategy,.. but your initial points are close to what I envisioned.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 04:41 PM
    If I wanted an Android I would have

Wait for it.....

Purchased an Android phone.

Funny thing to consider, but true.

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime and rthonpm like this.
    03-05-15 05:09 PM
    If you want an Android phone, get an Android phone! How hard can it be.

Blackberry are for those who don't want an Android phone.

Now, can we move on from here.
    03-05-15 05:15 PM
    Here we go again, another I want BlackBerry to make an Android phones thread. Seriously these threads are becoming petty and annoying and should be closed.

Again, I think Android sucks and I don't want an Android Berry. I'd rather get an iPhone if BlackBerry switched to Android.
    03-05-15 05:19 PM
    Either way I'm not upgrading till the dust settles
    03-05-15 05:22 PM
    If you want an Android phone, get an Android phone! How hard can it be.

Blackberry are for those who don't want an Android phone.

Now, can we move on from here.
    Pretty much this.

If more people used bb10, more developers would have an incentive to make native bb10 apps. Cascades is a very nice system for both the user and the developers, with the Crackberry app being a perfect example of what it can do. QNX kernel + adreno graphics can play games just as well as other platforms.

The only thing "wrong with bb10" is that people CHOOSE not to use it.

I chose to use bb10, because I like it. And I don't like or use or care Android or Android runtimes, apps, etc. However, if they removed the runtime then the BlackBerry ecosystem would wither and die, because.... people choose not to us bb10, thus developers choose not to spend their limited resources on it.

Sadly BlackBerry is a niche product now, not unlike Palm OS and Symbian products. The company can either be happy with its cult following and true to those followers or it can become a follower of others and live off their scraps. Either way, the likelihood of BlackBerry ever being on top again is none, at all. Feel free to quote me on that later.

Anyhow, I bought 2 BlackBerry 10 devices, rather than an Android or Windows Phone device, because I like BlackBerry 10 better. And just BlackBerry 10, I don't use the Android runtime.

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 05:29 PM
    I say swap them. Go full Android and have a BlackBerry 10 runtime / or app solution to keep in compliance.
    Is this not essentially what is exactly being done with this weeks agreement with Samsung being able to sell the Galaxy S6 with Blackberry Enterprise Suite (Full) pre-installed to corporate/enterprise customers?!!
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-05-15 05:34 PM
    Fair enough. That was exactly my question. It seems that while most BB10 users don't seek android apps, without the ability to run at least some, a BB10 device (given the realities of the lack of native apps) would become impractical.
    Exactly... to me, it seems native app development has been stifled by the addition of the Amazon App store. I would only see it getting worse with any sort of BlackBerry Android hybrid. Even as someone who relies on so few apps I have to admit that its hard not to wonder what I am missing.
    03-05-15 05:53 PM
    I think it is funny how against this idea BlackBerry 10 die hard fans are.

The OP is talking about BlackBerry making devices that run BB10 and Android. Not either or, yet the BB10 fanboys are sill up in arms about it. Leads me to believe that a lot of people here are afraid of seeing BlackBerry do well with Android after failing so miserably with that mulit-billion dollar mistake that they love so much.

It is pretty crazy, but it seems like a lot of the so called BlackBerry fans would rather watch BlackBerry go out of the hardware business completely than see them be successful with Android.

Me personally, I want BlackBerry to keep making devices. I would buy a BlackBerry Classic today if it weren't for that dead-end OS that is running on it.
    03-05-15 07:03 PM

The OP is talking about BlackBerry making devices that run BB10 and Android. Not either or, yet the BB10 fanboys are sill up in arms about it. Leads me to believe that a lot of people here are afraid of seeing BlackBerry do well with Android after failing so miserably with that mulit-billion dollar mistake that they love so much.

It is pretty crazy, but it seems like a lot of the so called BlackBerry fans would rather watch BlackBerry go out of the hardware business completely than see them be successful with Android.

Me personally, I want BlackBerry to keep making devices. I would buy a BlackBerry Classic today if it weren't for that dead-end OS that is running on it.
    To their credit, I think they just didn't read (or bothered to understand) the entire thing... Lol

They probably extracted the following words from the title:

"Is it worth sacrificing BB10 for Android?"

Ah well...

Posted via CB10
    Witmen, johnny_bravo72 and JeepBB like this.
    03-05-15 08:37 PM
    If I can like your post million times, I would.

"I want Google Play services but I don't want an Android." Okay....

"If you want Android, go get Android! But hey, while I'm here, please point me to the Snap and Cobalt threads to I can get ANDROID apps." Okay....

We need to be more embracing to these possible solutions that will ultimately make the consumers happy and make BBRY a lot of money. This as a solution is exactly what many really want.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Last edited by walt63; 03-05-15 at 10:07 PM.
    Witmen, JeepBB and garrett1972 like this.
    03-05-15 08:39 PM
    What makes you people think that BlackBerry would do any better than HTC, LG, or Sony in the Android market? You folks are the real dreamers.

BlackBerry can survive by remaining true to RIM's core values and by selling software, QNX being no small part of that equation. BlackBerry will not miraculously rise to greatness by selling yet another Android device. In fact, I bet the general spin would be something like, "oh how pathetic... BlackBerry is so desperate they went Android. lol... will not touch! *buys another Samsung*".

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 08:57 PM
    What makes you people think that BlackBerry would do any better than HTC, LG, or Sony in the Android market? You folks are the real dreamers.
    Can you name a single company that has lost over a billion dollars because they decided to make devices that run Android?

We all can name a company who has lost over a billion dollars on BlackBerry 10. Point being, no matter how bad HTC, LG or Sony has done with Android, they've all done a lot better than BlackBerry has done with BB10. That is a undeniable fact.
    JeepBB and Donvald like this.
    03-05-15 09:07 PM
    Can you name a single company that has lost over a billion dollars because they decided to make devices that run Android?

We all can name a company who has lost over a billion dollars on BlackBerry 10. Point being, no matter how bad HTC, LG or Sony has done with Android, they've all done a lot better than BlackBerry has done with BB10. That is a undeniable fact.
    Too bad sony no longer produce smartphone

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/18/80...-smartphone-tv

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on 4G Altel network
    thymaster and Kimberella like this.
    03-05-15 09:14 PM
    Here we go again, another I want BlackBerry to make an Android phones thread. Seriously these threads are becoming petty and annoying and should be closed.

Again, I think Android sucks and I don't want an Android Berry. I'd rather get an iPhone if BlackBerry switched to Android.
    wow... did you read it?

I'm not wanting anything. I'm just wondering if it would be realistic for BlackBerry to remove the Android runtime from BB10 in order to make a BlackBerry skinned fully OHA compliant Android device.

People that hate Android will be fine never being able to install any android apps on their BB10 devices, and those that are ok with Android, but choose BB10 because of the hub, share framework, etc. Would probably quite enjoy an Android device by BlackBerry with the same BB10 UI, and features (which they are about to offer to Android devices anyway).

This isn't about switching to or ditching anything. It's about whether BB10 can survive without a hobbled Android Runtime (apparently people hate Android so much that maybe it would). It's about whether an Android device line, sold along side the Android-less BB10 line, and made to look like BB10 and with its core features would be palatable .

But---HEY, I HAVE AN IDEA THAT IM SURE HAS NEVER BEEN DISCUSSED IN CRACKBERRY AND IS WORTH MAKING A NEW THREAD FOR: Maybe BlackBerry should ditch BB10 and make Android devices!!

Genius.

Lol

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 09:30 PM

Small consolation. Going from bad to less bad is not my idea of a solution.

As to your other post that BlackBerry 10 fans are afraid of success with android, you evidently didn't read the posts about why it would be a bad idea. Let me summarize for you:

1. Current android oem's that make great HW are struggling to do well in Android. Basically anyone not Samsung.

2. Androids biggest differentiator is HW. This is the area where BlackBerry is incredibly weak.

3. BlackBerry does not advertise! If they ran iOS they still wouldn't sell devices because no one knows that they make phones.

I will also add:

1. Android fans spend days and days telling us how Blackberry's brand is damaged, yet Android will magically make this better.

2. Android fans come on this forum and rip the hub, peak and flow, advanced multi tasking as non differentiators. As soon as someone mentions BlackBerry going Android, all of sudden these same people spend hours telling us how those features will now help to sell android devices in a sea of crowded android oem's.

3. Same as above for security. No one cares if it is on a BlackBerry 10 device. However if someone mentions android, it all of a sudden is a reason why BlackBerry will be successful in enterprise.

And lastly...

People that use BlackBerry 10 like the OS a lot. We like it enough to fill in the app gap with android. We don't do this because we want to, but because we have to. There is a big difference. Please don't confuse the two and throw it on our faces.

Posted via CB10
    Tatwi, Toodeurep, dolco and 5 others like this.
    03-05-15 09:36 PM

We saw above that Sony lost so much they decided to pull out of the market completely.

Here is your proof that HTC lost over a billion in 2014,

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-26922839

LG did well last year,

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-so...esults_id65336

But they have lost hundreds of millions several times on their smartphones.

Honestly, it takes little effort to stop dreaming and Google the numbers that show how difficult the Android market has been and continues to be, even for multi billion dollar corporations. To think that BlackBerry stands a snowball's chance in hell of being relevant in the Android market is folly. Look how unpopular Blackphone is, which is basically already what people are asking for from BlackBerry...

Posted via CB10
    03-05-15 09:39 PM
    Too bad sony no longer produce smartphone

Sony is no longer an electronics company | The Verge

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone on 4G Altel network
    Did Sony lose over a billion dollars on their Android smartphones?

I've been thinking about it, trying to think of a single company that has accomplished such an epic level of failure, and I honestly can't come up with anyone that matches BlackBerry. Unless I am forgetting someone, I don't think there has ever been a more less successful mobile operating system than BB10.

Please correct me if I am wrong here though.
    Donvald likes this.
    03-05-15 09:44 PM
    We saw above that Sony lost so much they decided to pull out of the market completely.

Here is your proof that HTC lost over a billion in 2014,

BBC News - HTC reports bigger-than-expected quarterly loss
    Ummm yeah nice try.

Your link states that HTC reported a loss of 1.88bn Taiwanese dollars, that equals roughly 62 million US dollars. Not really the same thing.

To but that in perspective for you, BlackBerry has lost over 31,502,000,000.00 (as in 31 billion) in Taiwanese dollars on BlackBerry 10 according to the current exchange rate.

Again, nice try though.
    Donvald likes this.
    03-05-15 09:55 PM

Show me where BB lost $1bn on BB10.
    thymaster likes this.
    03-05-15 10:06 PM
210 1234 ...