12-01-13 10:51 AM
113 ... 2345
tools
    Honestly, Android port IG > native rip offs. At least we have something. It wasn't too long ago I was on OS 7.1 with my Bold 9900 and had nothing. I'd like to see more native apps too but at least we can sideload Android apps in the meantime and on 10.2.1 they run really well anyway.
    11-21-13 08:47 AM
    Yes because when people go to an app store on a phone today they want to download a bunch of third party workarounds instead of the official apps from the service and/or content provider that they can get on the other platforms. Doesn't matter if those apps are better or not, they are not the apps name. Well at least BlackBerry can get customers with price given the inferior app situation, oh wait!

Windows Phone new they couldn't compete on content so they went on price, and it worked and now they are getting content. BlackBerry was dillusional and thought the name BlackBerry would sell phones at a high price with no content, and they didn't sell phones and they still don't have apps.

Posted via CB10
    Actually one of the more intelligent posts I have read in a while...perfectly sums up BB's problem.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    11-21-13 09:11 AM
    Instagram is mostly for art, marketing and news photography. If you aren't an artist or a photographer, instagram really isn't for you. I love it.
    It helps people to understand you are being sarcastic and funny if you use an emoticon.... like a

You were just trying to be funny... right?
    11-21-13 10:37 AM
    I think some people seem to be confused. I've seen screenshots of iGrann and I agree that it's a very nice IG app. Maybe not as good as 6tag (personal preference) but still nice. That's not the point though. The point is that it's an official app that people want (whether we like it or not) and it used to be a barrier that was keeping people from switching over.

Just yesterday, I went into a local AT&T store to check out the Lumia 1520 and the clerk saw that I was interested and started to talk to me about it. I told her that I was considering it and she said "yeah, it's a great OS, but it lacks some important apps like Instagram and snapchat". Now, arguably, I had to agree with the lack of official snapchat even though that's coming within a couple of months when we get an update, but I showed her the Instagram app and she was like "oh, I didn't realize they got that yet, I'll have to let my last customer know when she comes back since she was looking at the 1020".

It's not so much about making the current customers happy, but more about getting new customers, which means better apps, better market share, and a better ecosystem/experience.
    11-21-13 11:18 AM
    Blah, igrannnnnn

8330--8530--9670--palm pre--palm pixi--HTC evo shift--9850--9930--iphone 4--iphone 5--Z10--HTC One--Galaxy s3--Galaxy s4--Q10
    11-21-13 11:31 AM
    I think some people seem to be confused. I've seen screenshots of iGrann and I agree that it's a very nice IG app. Maybe not as good as 6tag (personal preference) but still nice. That's not the point though. The point is that it's an official app that people want (whether we like it or not) and it used to be a barrier that was keeping people from switching over.

Just yesterday, I went into a local AT&T store to check out the Lumia 1520 and the clerk saw that I was interested and started to talk to me about it. I told her that I was considering it and she said "yeah, it's a great OS, but it lacks some important apps like Instagram and snapchat". Now, arguably, I had to agree with the lack of official snapchat even though that's coming within a couple of months when we get an update, but I showed her the Instagram app and she was like "oh, I didn't realize they got that yet, I'll have to let my last customer know when she comes back since she was looking at the 1020".

It's not so much about making the current customers happy, but more about getting new customers, which means better apps, better market share, and a better ecosystem/experience.
    Couldn't agree more.

3rd party will keep people on the platform happy.

Official Apps attract new customers.
    11-21-13 12:05 PM
    Microsoft has the resources to compete against any of these developers (piggybacking on Skype) if they want. It's not an empty threat if they say "either you build it or we'll build a competing service and integrate it with Skype" and they'll see what happens then.

In fact, I'm surprised that Microsoft hasn't done more to make Skype basically a Facebook / Twitter competitor already.
    They haven't done it because it's idiotic and yet another money drain. Skype is a communications service. It should be a communications service. They don't need to waste time bogging it down with redundant social features no one will use, like Blackberry is doing with BBM.

Just integrate the Titans (Facebook, Twitter, and maybe Flickr) along with your own services and be done with it.

Skype is Microsoft's Communications service: like BBM on Blackberry, iMessage/FaceTime on iOS, or Hangouts on Android.

What you want is for Microsoft to Turn Skype into another Google+, which makes little to no sense.

I'd rather them build social features into SkyDrive instead (Photo Streams, for example, with Comments and Likes) and keep is simple, than waste time on creating another redundant (and largely unnecessary) social network.

Skype needs to improve as an IM client, as that company has focused mostly on the VoIP/Video Calling experience instead. That's where they should be working, IRT that service...
    11-21-13 03:13 PM
    Well they don't need to compete with Facebook or twitter because they have a good relationship between them. Plus Skype is integrated into Windows 8.1 I suspect it'll be for WP8.1 with SMS support

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Skype already does SMS. I can forsee them integrating Skype Chat into Messaging Hub, while keeping VoIPV/Video Calling, and Skype SMS in the separate Skype app instead.

But it would make little sense to integrate SMS into Skype, as that would cause all sorts of issues with which type of SMS the app actually sends...

Also, Skype doesn't support MMS, so that in itself is a non-started for moving that functionality to that app.

But I can see them moving the Skype IM on Windows Phone into Messaging Hub, yes.

ALSO: More appropriate to the subject, Instagram will likely implement their camera as a Camera Lense on Windows Phone, the same way most other Photo Apps from big name developers have been implementing them (Vine, for example).

This also frees the developers form having to develop their own complete in-app camera experience on Windows Phone, while maintaining pretty consistent user experience (by leveraging the stock camera app on the platform and simply plugging into it, users won't have to learn how to use a foreign camera application, only the features that the lense exposes on top of the stock camera).
    11-21-13 03:16 PM
    By Instagram not making an app for BB10 was a god send as iGrann has shown them and others how to do it.
    11-21-13 04:50 PM
    Dude now that we have BlackGram and iGrann supposedly coming having instagram isn't so much of a big deal at least IMO.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 04:53 PM
    Blah, igrannnnnn

8330--8530--9670--palm pre--palm pixi--HTC evo shift--9850--9930--iphone 4--iphone 5--Z10--HTC One--Galaxy s3--Galaxy s4--Q10
    Check out all those phones you've used.... impressive...!! noticed you like your Q10 more than your Z10.... all good...

from an australian Z10...
    11-21-13 05:10 PM
    Hey native instagram app "iGrann" is definitely better than anything IG themselves can make (Obviously my opinion) there's also BlackGram

Native Vine app "Whine" is also set to release possibly before this month ends.

A native snapchat is in the works

native starbucks app is in blackberry world also."Make"

idk...what other big name apps is missing?
    Igrann is amazing and I can't wait until whine and the SnapChat app.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-13 06:01 PM
    They are even getting Waze and Mint.com is coming soon
    Not sure if it is an Android port or not, but the Waze app in BWorld is from Waze Inc. And it has been in BWorld for some time.

People should check BWorld before they post....
    11-21-13 06:02 PM
    Not sure if it is an Android port or not, but the Waze app in BWorld is from Waze Inc. And it has been in BWorld for some time.

People should check BWorld before they post....

android port on BB

Native on WP8

Sent from my Red Nokia Lumia 920
    11-21-13 07:15 PM
    The W8 Instagram is beta, and is not fully featured as of yet.

android port on BB

Native on WP8

Sent from my Red Nokia Lumia 920
    Well, at least it is from Waze. Seems to work as good as it did when I was on a LG Spectrum 2.
    11-21-13 09:04 PM
    The W8 Instagram is beta, and is not fully featured as of yet.

Well, at least it is from Waze. Seems to work as good as it did when I was on a LG Spectrum 2.
    What's your point? At least WP has it. And it's only missing two features, so really not much of a beta.

IF BlackBerry ever gets a official IG app, I can guarantee you'll see "BETA" attached to it as well

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    11-21-13 09:35 PM
    They haven't done it because it's idiotic and yet another money drain. Skype is a communications service. It should be a communications service. They don't need to waste time bogging it down with redundant social features no one will use, like Blackberry is doing with BBM.

Just integrate the Titans (Facebook, Twitter, and maybe Flickr) along with your own services and be done with it.

Skype is Microsoft's Communications service: like BBM on Blackberry, iMessage/FaceTime on iOS, or Hangouts on Android
    At risk of derailing the thread, you also disagree with me that BlackBerry extending BBM beyond simple messaging with initiatives like channels is a good idea. Skype has a lot of potential that MS has barely begun to exploit, and it's clear that MS intends to... I'm just surprised they haven't done more sooner... I guess they're not as nimble as their competitors, for starters.
    11-21-13 09:35 PM
    At risk of derailing the thread, you also disagree with me that BlackBerry extending BBM beyond simple messaging with initiatives like channels is a good idea. Skype has a lot of potential that MS has barely begun to exploit, and it's clear that MS intends to... I'm just surprised they haven't done more sooner... I guess they're not as nimble as their competitors, for starters.

well with Microsoft is changing pretty fast after the reorganization and expect more innovation from the Microsoft research division

Sent from my GT-I8750 using Tapatalk
    11-22-13 12:19 AM
    instagram says one time, their normally wait 18 months until a new os enter on the market to, what i dont know is start develope after 18 months or will be ready for that time
    11-22-13 01:15 AM
    What's your point? At least WP has it. And it's only missing two features, so really not much of a beta.

IF BlackBerry ever gets a official IG app, I can guarantee you'll see "BETA" attached to it as well

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    Perhaps it will. My point was that for an app that everyone "waited so long for", the reviews were only mediocre with many claiming 6Tag is [currently] better. At least it was yesterday....it seems to have went up 1/2 star.
    11-22-13 06:33 AM
    It helps people to understand you are being sarcastic and funny if you use an emoticon.... like a

You were just trying to be funny... right?
    I don't think the designers of Instagram intended it for memes or some of the other lowbrow things that you sometimes see there.
    Instagram Blog
    11-22-13 08:31 AM
    I don't think the designers of Instagram intended it for memes or some of the other lowbrow things that you sometimes see there.
    Instagram Blog
    Facebook didn't originally intend for it to be used by businesses and look what happened. The fact of the matter is that Instagram is a social network for pictures. People join to connect and post things with their friends. You see artwork from time to time but it's mostly memes, selfies, food, and pictures from events.

Posted via CB10
    anon1727506 likes this.
    11-22-13 10:36 AM
    Yes because when people go to an app store on a phone today they want to download a bunch of third party workarounds instead of the official apps from the service and/or content provider that they can get on the other platforms. Doesn't matter if those apps are better or not, they are not the apps name. Well at least BlackBerry can get customers with price given the inferior app situation, oh wait!

Windows Phone new they couldn't compete on content so they went on price, and it worked and now they are getting content. BlackBerry was dillusional and thought the name BlackBerry would sell phones at a high price with no content, and they didn't sell phones and they still don't have apps.

Posted via CB10
    Microsoft and Nokia did exactly what many in this forum suggested what BlackBerry should have done. It is as if reps from Microsoft/Nokia actually lurked in this forum and took the advice to heart while the delusion continues with BlackBerry.
    JeepBB and Etios like this.
    11-22-13 01:59 PM
    Microsoft and Nokia did exactly what many in this forum suggested what BlackBerry should have done. It is as if reps from Microsoft/Nokia actually lurked in this forum and took the advice to heart while the delusion continues with BlackBerry.
    Very few on Crackberry advised Blackberry to lower the price of the Z10 directly after the launch. The "High margins over volume" line was repeated over and over. Also, the hardware of the Z10 was extremely well received by the Crackberry community. There were copious amounts of compliments regarding design, build quality, and the 4.2" display size that was 'just right'. The criticism of Nokia's strategy was rather strong and it actually continued even some time after the launch of the Lumia 520/521.

The Crackberry community only changed its tone after several stagnant earnings report and, by then, it was too late for BBRY to change direction. Much of the initial enthusiasm over BB10 was lost and it was beginning to develop a "stillborn" stigma.

Lowering the price of the Z10 wouldn't matter much then because consumers would have perceived it as failed device that needed to be liquidated. Considerably slashing prices later, contrary to what some fans had claimed, is never a good strategy due to the damage it does to the product's image.

I remember all of this because I was one of the very few individuals who scrutinized the Z10's hardware and pricing right after launch and noted a lukewarm consumer reception even relative to mildly received Windows Phones.

So, to be fair to BBRY, it didn't really not listen to consumers with regard to the Z10 (or BB10). The truth is that Crackberry changed direction far past when its advice would become relevant and then did one of those retroactive 180s where it pretended it always made these criticisms of the Z10 when the criticisms were actually relevant.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 11-22-13 at 02:59 PM.
    11-22-13 02:48 PM
    You mean pay Instagram a boat load of cash so they could get a native app?
    11-22-13 09:32 PM
113 ... 2345