12-21-15 09:20 PM
222 ... 789
tools
    More accurate would be to say that NOW they claim that the telemetry data doesn't tell them personal information other than what programs you run, when and how often. But since the suckers using this OS are unable to avoid all "updates" there's no basis to claim that the capability won't be added later.

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10

If you go up tom post #183, there is this link
    The geek distrust of telemetry risks making software dumber | ZDNet

Quote: "The sad part is that blocking telemetry doesn't really increase your privacy. Almost all of it is anonymous, not just because of potential privacy concerns, but because nobody can sell adverts against how often you run a terminal window. Gmail and Facebook posts are far richer sources of personal information, and both are actively exploited."

It's not that I am dumb and never take a second look before I allow data collection, I am just less concerned about pure telemetry data for a reason.
    dolco likes this.
    12-07-15 07:20 AM
    How many people will actually wade through long, tedious privacy statements about how your information is collected and used and what, if any, options do you have to opt out? (less and less) Somewhere in that fine print there will be info about sharing certain personal info with third party affiliates; that's a concern because the third parties can sell your info to all the corporate interests that want these neatly bundled packets to make decisions about you.

Going back to the point of faulty profiles, a few months after I started visiting the Crackberry site I began to be bombarded with tailored ads for addiction rehab services, just because this site contains the words crack, abuser and feed the addiction.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-07-15 01:00 PM
    How many people will actually wade through long, tedious privacy statements about how your information is collected and used and what, if any, options do you have to opt out? (less and less) Somewhere in that fine print there will be info about sharing certain personal info with third party affiliates; that's a concern because the third parties can sell your info to all the corporate interests that want these neatly bundled packets to make decisions about you.

Going back to the point of faulty profiles, a few months after I started visiting the Crackberry site I began to be bombarded with tailored ads for addiction rehab services, just because this site contains the words crack, abuser and feed the addiction.
    1. People *have* waded through the privacy agreements and found no evidence of what you're claiming is there. There has been an update that clarified misleading language.

2. That is not Microsoft that's giving you addiction ads. That is Google and other advertising companies, who embed tracking code into every webpage you visit. Microsoft does not track the websites you visit (nor do they care, as they're more concerned about the viruses you download when you click on those ads). If you don't run any sort of ad blocking like uBlock, you give away much much much more information about yourself then is in Windows' anonymized telemetry.
    kbz1960 and Superdupont 2_0 like this.
    12-07-15 02:52 PM
    12-08-15 01:40 PM
    You are in control with the ability to determine what information is collected.
    But you can't really turn them off. Makes sense.
    12-08-15 02:53 PM
    Jsmith, I agree with you. Even if you believe that the parts that they WON'T let you opt out from are harmless, the fact that you also CAN'T avoid ANY updates simply means that at any time Microsoft can decide to add "features" that harvest whatever they want. If things go the usual way no one will be told about whatever is collected until someone rats them out. Even then it'll likely be set up as default setting so most of the sheeple never change the settings.

If I didn't need to replace a dying laptop that was originally running Vista I'd just stick with Windows 7 64bit premium I have now. It's supported until 2020. So I was looking at Win10 just to see but so far it looks like I'll have to find the best hardware I can with (yuck) Win 8.1 where I can both remove the telemetry they've tried to sneak in and NOT blindly install every update. Sigh...

jsmith00075 likes this.
    12-08-15 03:38 PM
    Jsmith, I agree with you. Even if you believe that the parts that they WON'T let you opt out from are harmless, the fact that you also CAN'T avoid ANY updates simply means that at any time Microsoft can decide to add "features" that harvest whatever they want. If things go the usual way no one will be told about whatever is collected until someone rats them out. Even then it'll likely be set up as default setting so most of the sheeple never change the settings.

If I didn't need to replace a dying laptop that was originally running Vista I'd just stick with Windows 7 64bit premium I have now. It's supported until 2020. So I was looking at Win10 just to see but so far it looks like I'll have to find the best hardware I can with (yuck) Win 8.1 where I can both remove the telemetry they've tried to sneak in and NOT blindly install every update. Sigh...

Get a laptop from let's say Dell or Asus with Windows 8/8.1 Pro on it and use your official Microsoft downgrade rights to Windows 7 Professional.

All it needs is a Windows 7 iso download (from an official source) and a call to Microsoft to exercise downgrade rights...

:-D

(you can even upgrade to 10 before doing so, to get your hardware registered as eligible for Windows 10 if you ever wanted it down the track!)

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    12-08-15 06:33 PM
    That is a sensible sounding plan. The problem is in the execution! I'm trying to find a 13" laptop or hybrid that's under 4lbs with 5th gen i5, 8GB RAM, either a 256GB SSD or a price low enough to afford to buy one to replace original. The thing that is killing me is that I need a backlit keyboard because I'm often forced to work in poor light. Everything I find either weighs a ton, is over 14" or is a 4GB with 128GB drive. Everything else is either overpriced junk or running Win10.
    Getting frustrated with the searching but not ready to give in and get Win10 even though I don't much like 8.1 but it's supported for longer than Win7...

12-09-15 04:36 AM
    Get a laptop from let's say Dell or Asus with Windows 8/8.1 Pro on it and use your official Microsoft downgrade rights to Windows 7 Professional.

All it needs is a Windows 7 iso download (from an official source) and a call to Microsoft to exercise downgrade rights...

(you can even upgrade to 10 before doing so, to get your hardware registered as eligible for Windows 10 if you ever wanted it down the track!)

Several questions come to mind but 1st, thank you for responding.
    I didn't know there were downgrade rights for either OS versions. Where's a safe source to download the Win7 OS? As for the idea of "upgrading" to Win10, is there a way to ensure there isn't any trace left that would phone home?

Last, if I contacted Microsoft to get the downgrade, wouldn't I need to establish a Microsoft account with them at that time just to get them to talk to me? Or is there some way to buy it instead of dealing with them?

12-13-15 04:43 PM
    I think it's much to do about nothing. Anyone concerned about privacy and security should not use the Internet and especially Facebook.

Posted via the CrackBerry App on Priv
    12-13-15 05:01 PM
    Paul, that's a simplistic and rather useless statement. Some people WORK on the Internet so saying that you should just stop using the Internet is ridiculous at best. Secondly, there are people who never use any social media so while I agree (to a point) that many people overshare in their media, (especially on Facebook) that doesn't entitle Microsoft to harvest all of the data that they DON'T share.

Last edited by scubafan; 12-14-15 at 07:30 AM.
    12-14-15 07:12 AM
    Again, Microsoft is not harvesting your data to sell off. They do however collect anonymized data about how the OS is functioning, but that has no connection to you the user's personal information - and the only people the information collected would actually be useful to is malware writers. You really think Microsoft sells information to malware writers? If you're incapable of understanding what information Microsoft is collecting and what they are using it for, then you're actually part of the reason they collect that information in the first place.
    rthonpm and dolco like this.
    12-14-15 05:35 PM
    It's amazing the amount of misinformation about Windows 10 that's still floating around out there.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-15 08:20 PM
    It's amazing the amount of misinformation about Windows 10 that's still floating around out there.

Posted via CB10
    While your position is somewhat accurate, it is misleading. Yes, they say all of the snooping is just a way to make sure that the OS is working well. Two issues with that viewpoint. First, if that's all there is then why does their system keep track of what apps and programs you have along with how often you run them? Secondly, even if it isn't for sale NOW, the TOS gives them the right to use anything to market to you themselves or with both subsidiary firms or "select 3rd party firms". Unless removed or disabled they see everything on your hard drive, every keystroke and everything the microphone used by Cortana hears. And with the inability to refuse any "update" it would be child's play to add new features.

Remember just a few months ago they had to admit to surreptitiously loading telemetry onto Win 7 and Win 8 system disguised in various ways? To a lot of people that behavior doesn't inspire trust.

12-15-15 01:44 AM
    While your position is somewhat accurate, it is misleading. Yes, they say all of the snooping is just a way to make sure that the OS is working well. Two issues with that viewpoint. First, if that's all there is then why does their system keep track of what apps and programs you have along with how often you run them?
    What do you think crashes in a computer? The core OS kernel is pretty stable, it's when you pile things like drivers and apps and programs on top that causes the most problems. If a certain configuration repeatedly crashes, it would be nice to know that a certain application is causing it.

Secondly, even if it isn't for sale NOW, the TOS gives them the right to use anything to market to you themselves or with both subsidiary firms or "select 3rd party firms". Unless removed or disabled they see everything on your hard drive, every keystroke and everything the microphone used by Cortana hears. And with the inability to refuse any "update" it would be child's play to add new features.
    Where does it say anything like this? I dare you to find a real example without having to run it through the spin cycle. Have you forgotten that Microsoft has a lot of enemies in one form or another? Microsoft is a huge company, but it doesn't have the governmental or media support of big American companies like the banks or news companies. It is accountable to it's actions internationally, where many people are capable of separating fact from fiction or calling Microsoft out for going too far. You really think the European courts would block Microsoft from bundling Internet Explorer then turn around and let it mine their citizen's data for personal profit? Microsoft records only the information it needs - which is no more invasive then a department store keeping track of what sells and what doesn't so it can properly manage their inventory and not lose sales by tying up inventory with unwanted products. The store doesn't keep and analyze any individual's purchase history in order to sell to other companies, but it keeps aggregated histories of what a specific store sells and when and which products are usually sold together.
    Remember just a few months ago they had to admit to surreptitiously loading telemetry onto Win 7 and Win 8 system disguised in various ways? To a lot of people that behavior doesn't inspire trust.
    Windows has always had the telemetry thing. Remember those "report a bug" dialogue boxes that Windows XP had? It is more or less the same thing, but much more improved. In Windows XP you're just as likely to cancel the submission (depriving Microsoft of useful information to resolve the problem in the future) or it might contain less information that would be useful for resolving the problem.

Honestly this thread makes me wonder if there's an impassible educational divide.
    rthonpm, Superdupont 2_0 and dolco like this.
    12-15-15 04:47 AM
    There is an educational divide where common sense and an understanding of the Windows 10 EULA still can't overcome the half-truths and sloppy Internet reporting and/or conspiracy theories that people gravitate to.

There are still people out there who believe that Windows 10 is a subscription OS!

Posted via CB10
    12-15-15 05:31 AM
    There likely IS an educational divide, especially on people thinking that Windows 10 is a subscription model now. EULA leaves option to become one in future but real sticking point is the combination of the interviews which made it seem like they were thinking about going the way of life heavy push for Office 365 instead of a stand alone Office suite by both the ad campaign and the huge initial price difference between the two programs, especially if you want Outlook. The other thing pressing people's caution buttons is the insistence that people MUST take every update there is, even if you know it's breaking drivers. Many feel this will allow Microsoft to either add unwanted features or eventually give them a "kill switch" to force people who don't want to switch to the almost inevitable change to a subscription model if they want to keep using their PC. Crazy? Possibly, but the way they snuck Windows 10 onto many machines, sent the win10 nag screens disguised as a critical update (at first) and with KB 3075249, KB3080149 & KB3068708 they are putting more sophisticated telemetry onto Win7 and Win8 systems. Again, when people find out that these were added without notification or agreement from the user this too leaves a bad taste with users.

12-20-15 03:49 AM
    Then make all communications using invisible ink.

Get your Playboys ready.
    Telepathy is best.

The BlackBerry Guy
    12-20-15 08:09 AM
    Pffff telepathy > BlackBerry. Nothing more secure than mind-to-mind communications

http://media.giphy.com/media/eVHDkr6EsFLUY/giphy.gif

Until surprise Vulcan Mind Meld!!!

https://trekadams.files.wordpress.co...0/spock-mm.jpg
    Lmao

The BlackBerry Guy
    12-20-15 08:22 AM
    You should talk to your husband.
    Lmao!

The BlackBerry Guy
    12-20-15 08:41 AM
    Going by the general Internet response it seems a good idea to turn it off.

Don't want Facebook friends hanging around outside my apartment using my WiFi network.

Via CB10 from Scotland using Z10STL100-2/10.3.2.2339
    Lmao

The BlackBerry Guy
    12-20-15 12:56 PM
    Several questions come to mind but 1st, thank you for responding.
    I didn't know there were downgrade rights for either OS versions. Where's a safe source to download the Win7 OS? As for the idea of "upgrading" to Win10, is there a way to ensure there isn't any trace left that would phone home?

Last, if I contacted Microsoft to get the downgrade, wouldn't I need to establish a Microsoft account with them at that time just to get them to talk to me? Or is there some way to buy it instead of dealing with them?

Only Pro/Professional editions of Windows have downgrade rights (afaik up to two versions down). So theoretically you could even downgrade a laptop that came with Windows 10 Pro down to 7 Professional.

No, once the partition with Windows 10 has been wiped, nothing will be left of 10. But, having said that, Microsoft is installing "telemetry" components (spyware, in other people's terms) even on Windows 7 and 8 retroactively, via (optional or recommended?) updates. So if you're that paranoid, watch what you're installing via KB number, or keep Windows off the web altogether.

Why not take Linux Mint Cinnamon 17.3 for a spin... :-D

Any Digital River download source for Windows 7 is fine. Maybe they even pulled it - yep they did. If so, a torrent with verified MD5sum or SHA1/265 sum will yield the same result, a clean ISO.

http://forums.crackberry.com/e?link=...token=dBKOYPAJ

If you happen to find any Windows 7 Pro key, you can use this link to get a Windows 7 Pro ISO file. Maybe someone you know has a key. Or you might have one yourself for the purpose of creating media for your licence.

Microsoft licensing is a jungle. Forgive me, if got caught in its vines and thickets...

With downgrade rights you have a valid licence, but no media yet. That's were the download comes in, and a call to Microsoft for a key.

Cheers and hope that helps. Yes, it's a jungle so thick not even Microsoft reps know how to get through...

CrackBerry('s greedyness or need for survival - hey BlackBerry!) garbled the link...

https:// www.microsoft. com/en-au/ software-download/windows7

Please remove ^ the spaces...

12-21-15 09:20 PM
222 ... 789