12-21-15 10:20 PM
222 ... 6789
tools
    I would appreciate any input from IT Types on this question : is it possible to find and remove or block all of the telemetry and built in spyware from Windows 10? My brother had a hard drive crash and needs a new laptop altogether. Most of the better prices have been on win10 machines with either low spec CP with short battery life or full blown gaming systems with far more capability than he needs for just Word, Excel, and Web browsing. I pointed out that even if he blocks most now that doesn't prevent M$ from putting in every type of scanning, tracking & telemetry they can dream up since Win10 users CAN'T skip any "updates" even if known as intrusive or buggy ones that stop things from working. Opinions?

Just my $.02, YMMV ! ;-) sent via my Q10
    10-26-15 09:05 PM
    I would appreciate any input from IT Types on this question : is it possible to find and remove or block all of the telemetry and built in spyware from Windows 10? My brother had a hard drive crash and needs a new laptop altogether. Most of the better prices have been on win10 machines with either low spec CP with short battery life or full blown gaming systems with far more capability than he needs for just Word, Excel, and Web browsing. I pointed out that even if he blocks most now that doesn't prevent M$ from putting in every type of scanning, tracking & telemetry they can dream up since Win10 users CAN'T skip any "updates" even if known as intrusive or buggy ones that stop things from working. Opinions?

Honestly? Just turn off Cortana. Windows 10's "spyware problem" is less than you think, and more about being able to predict what you want to do with your computer. Telemetry from all Windows 10 users adds up to a LOT of data, which would have to be sorted, processed (and therefore anonymized) long before any storage is done. The NSA is idiotic for this reason, as they are spending a small fortune just archiving the information they have yet do not have the infrastructure needed to process it in a meaningful way.
    10-27-15 05:18 AM
    Honestly? Just turn off Cortana. Windows 10's "spyware problem" is less than you think, and more about being able to predict what you want to do with your computer. Telemetry from all Windows 10 users adds up to a LOT of data, which would have to be sorted, processed (and therefore anonymized) .
    I was aware that Cortana is a large part of the unfiltered information that gets uploaded. I was thinking more about whether all the data about you and your interests being given TO Microsoft in the 1st place. Even if they do anonymize the data before sharing it they themselves get too intimate a view of your life. I happen to think they want to use the data themselves, otherwise why are they working SO hard to sneak in telemetry into Win7 & Win8 pc's disguised in various ways? This is of course ignoring the new ability to add in ANY new "features" that could be much more blatant spyware using the updates that can't be refused aspect of Win10. I suppose some people will enjoy having a pc that knows what you'll want next. I told him that I'm suggesting he gets a Win8.1 machine so he at least can decide to install updates or not.

So my question remains, is there a way (besides avoiding Cortana) to block the flow of information that it uses for predictions? Obviously he still risks data mining from new updates but he wants to know whether or not he'll start with some level of privacy?

I told him that I've seen articles on how to lock down about 8 different types of intrusion built into the OS by default but didn't know if that's all. He has private patient data that is HIPPA protected from being shared and doesn't want to risk being sued by someone over it. I read that the early adopters for Win10 had to accept that every file of any kind would be data mined so I know that the OS has the capability to do it. What I don't know is whether the various fixes I've seen permanently keep that from happening or not. It isn't whether M$ just stores data until they anonymize it, but rather that he isn't allowed to share it with Microsoft either.

So what should I tell him to do? He must replace the laptop asap and looks to me for advice. Thanks for reading a long post!

10-28-15 06:09 PM
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...s-10-tracking/

Can't turn off the tracking..... :-|

 Priv New (Chendroid) World...? :-| 
    11-04-15 07:41 PM
    Well, that's the last nail in the coffin as far as MY willingness to consider a Win10 machine. Others may ignore HIPPA regulations but I take both my privacy as well as my clients privacy seriously.

Besides the new OS's policy that you can't avoid any "update" Microsoft decides to send you, the admissions regarding the unwillingness of Microsoft to remove tracking for standard users even though the Gordon Kelly article says Enterprise users CAN avoid both tracking and updates proves that it is a deliberate choice for Microsoft. That means that they prefer to invade your privacy even when they KNOW that you thought you were opting out! Very poor attitude on their part but of course most users are unthinking sheep begging to be fleeced with a total lack of attention or understanding it's even happening. Now I just have to decide if it's worth the hassle of switching now to Win8.1 or using Win7/64 to the bitter end (20/20?).

11-09-15 03:07 PM
    I think this is much to do over nothing. If the NSA or hackers want in a network it won't be at the wireless router level. The feature is on by default but can be turn off during install, or later if desired.

If this were Apple I suspect many would say how amazing and simple they've made connecting to networks.

Posted via CB10
    Paul, I think you missed the critical point. Most people aren't worried about the NSA at all, since the NSA isn't selling all the data they harvest to every possible mailing list, scammer or identity theft ring. People have a basic right to be left alone, and heavy lobbying works hard to erode it and block all legislation that would change things. So when the supposedly honest and neutral vendor people think only created their system OS decides to dig deeper than any slimy Web scraper can it concerns even some who usually don't think about it!

Superdupont 2_0 and BlackGuy like this.
    11-09-15 03:13 PM
    So when the supposedly honest and neutral vendor people think only created their system OS decides to dig deeper than any slimy Web scraper can it concerns even some who usually don't think about it!
    Oh, c'mon it is 2015.
    Most people use Android and Google apps for their daily needs, we have seen all kinds of malicious apps in Google Play downloaded by millions
    over the whole year and now we should be concerned about Windows 10?

No, we should be concerned about Android and Google Play.
    On W10 you can disable most of the data traffic, on Android you can't if you want to use the apps.
    The few telemetry data from W10 are nothing compared to the invasive data mining from Google and Google Play hackers, which you both can't turn off...
    I agree with your critical point, but I'm afraid nobody is concerned.
    dolco likes this.
    11-09-15 06:30 PM
    The geek distrust of telemetry risks making software dumber | ZDNet

The sad part is that blocking telemetry doesn't really increase your privacy. Almost all of it is anonymous, not just because of potential privacy concerns, but because nobody can sell adverts against how often you run a terminal window. Gmail and Facebook posts are far richer sources of personal information, and both are actively exploited.
    Here you go. This is what Windows 10 is doing. Stop being so paranoid and embrace the future, you already sold your identity to google so you wouldn't have to pay to browse websites.
    Superdupont 2_0 and dolco like this.
    11-09-15 10:08 PM
    Well, both previous posts are accurate to a point. I have actually met others like myself that DO understand and use technology but haven't sold ANYTHING to Google or Facebook since we don't use any of their products or apps! That's part of why I love the ability to control what permissions an app has that BlackBerry gives me! I use my Q10 for work and to help me keep my daily life organized. Instead of games or social media I spend down time either here or reading a book or catching up with news or tech developments.

I have no problem with others who want to use media or play games, but even those people often want some parts of their lives private. I reiterate the basic concept is different. Using Google or media apps comes from a deliberate choice made by the user. Even if they are totally ignorant of what they are sending out, being ignorant IS their choice. Having the ability to data mine every part of someone's life stored on what they thought was THEIR computer by spying on every keystroke and being able to know what apps are used, how often etc is very different! As I said, the fact that enterprise users can avoid all of the crap proves that Microsoft has decided we are sheep to be fleeced. Ask anyone who lost the use of things to drivers alone and you may find another opinion. Just because other lemmings go through life unthinking doesn't mean that all users must be in the herd.

11-11-15 07:42 PM
    I dont do anything illegal, so I could care less. Also, I haven't known of a type writter that has used ribbons in ages.
    So if a person has nothing to say, does that mean they shouldn't care about freedom of speech?

Posted via CB10
    11-12-15 08:17 PM
    11-18-15 01:46 AM
    I like Windows 10. Don't care about them getting some use data. Machines read the data and aggregate it. It's not like people are reading your emails.

Anyone using any spam filtering is already having their emails read by machines.

Also I expect the actual security as opposed to privacy, which are separate things, is actually very good on Windows 10. Microsoft seems to make that better on each iteration.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    11-18-15 01:54 AM
    I disagree with at least part of your statement. You may be correct about the OS itself being better at protecting itself from malware. Only time will tell.

Having emails read is a tiny part of the issues that many have with Win10. Spam filters don't keep track of your browsing history, what apps you use and how often, use a keylogger to be able to keep track of any activity, analyze the number and types of files stored, search for unlicensed software etc. ANY of these things are much more intrusive than machine scanning for spam. People also have a choice of whether or not to use email and CAN choose to pay for a provider that doesn't scan everything to data mine for info to sell. But this new OS marks a new way to exploit the customers at a very deep level with the majority unaware. Many users would be creeped out if they understood what is sold. Granted people should be responsible for their own safety, but for most of the years people have used PC's they felt were their private property. They trusted Microsoft because as far as they knew they didn't do anything to abuse that trust. The recent announcement rather proves it, as Microsoft says that they will give us a "better experience" by gathering so much personal data! So them knowing what you like to read, eat, and watch somehow makes the OS safer???

Feel free to choose to use Win10. Just don't belittle folks that don't find value in allowing companies to not only invade your privacy but to sell whatever they find.

11-18-15 10:09 PM
    I disagree with at least part of your statement. You may be correct about the OS itself being better at protecting itself from malware. Only time will tell.

Having emails read is a tiny part of the issues that many have with Win10. Spam filters don't keep track of your browsing history, what apps you use and how often, use a keylogger to be able to keep track of any activity, analyze the number and types of files stored, search for unlicensed software etc. ANY of these things are much more intrusive than machine scanning for spam. People also have a choice of whether or not to use email and CAN choose to pay for a provider that doesn't scan everything to data mine for info to sell. But this new OS marks a new way to exploit the customers at a very deep level with the majority unaware. Many users would be creeped out if they understood what is sold. Granted people should be responsible for their own safety, but for most of the years people have used PC's they felt were their private property. They trusted Microsoft because as far as they knew they didn't do anything to abuse that trust. The recent announcement rather proves it, as Microsoft says that they will give us a "better experience" by gathering so much personal data! So them knowing what you like to read, eat, and watch somehow makes the OS safer???

Feel free to choose to use Win10. Just don't belittle folks that don't find value in allowing companies to not only invade your privacy but to sell whatever they find.

Do you really think Microsoft is selling your information? They have already updated their privacy policy to clarify their stance.
    11-18-15 10:44 PM

Lol. That's fine. There's always pain in the tail Linux you can struggle to make run market leading applications I guess using Wine. Though there's no evidence anyone reviews every scrap of source code there.

11-19-15 01:37 AM
    Do you really think Microsoft is selling your information? They have already updated their privacy policy to clarify their stance.
    They don't sell it, the give it away to the government according to US law. Selected NGOs are likely to get that information too.
    11-22-15 05:26 PM
    I'm not sure of the privacy superiority of older Windows OS's. When I used 7 and 8.1 on my desktop and Surface, I kept getting ads for outright malware - Warning!!! Your computer may be at risk!!! - and for mail-order brides from third world countries - Thousands of Asian beauties are dying to talk to you!

For whatever reason, I ended up getting profiled as a male loser. I had tracking turned off, then I turned it on and identified myself as a female. It didn't stop the malware and human trafficking ads.

My browsing history consisted of discussion forums on concrete (I own a concrete products company), orchids (with lots of members from Asian countries) and CB, as well as online shopping for tools and tech accessories. So obviously, I was a man incapable of having a normal relationship with a woman.

All of this stopped with Windows 10. I have no idea why, but it's a relief not to look at trash. Whatever information MS is gathering on me, is not being misused. So maybe the tin foil hat has outlived its usefulness?

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    11-29-15 10:06 AM
    Al, you may be an exception. Other than the periodic spam that makes its way into the spam folder I don't get any of those things on my Windows 7 system. I use Abine's Do Not Track, clear cache and cookies daily, search primarily with DuckDuckGo and otherwise just browse.

I did remove the "updates" Microsoft tried to add to enable telemetry and to install Windows 10. Nothing else and no issues.

11-30-15 02:09 PM
    I know this has died down, but this article is pretty relevant: Don't let the 'Grinches' put you off Windows 10 | ZDNet
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    12-04-15 05:30 PM
    I have to agree with much of the article. The one setting I really disapproved of with Windows was sharing my bandwidth with other users. Otherwise I turned off what was obvious, and that's that.

My observation is that while there are legitimate concerns about privacy, most people post far more personal info on Facebook than MS would ever collect on its own through Windows 10

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and Superdupont 2_0 like this.
    12-04-15 07:43 PM
    Just keep in mind that there actually are still people who DON'T post anything on Facebook and don't have any social media accounts...
    What does Microsoft learn about those people if they buy a Win10 machine?

12-06-15 07:58 AM
    To the people who say they have nothing to hide or worry about, the point is you are being profiled. The data brokers are creating an inaccurate personal profile for you based on faulty conclusions about what you read, purchase, search for or accidentally click on. These profiles could later affect your ability to find housing or a job, to be approved for credit or to buy insurance, or to put you on some agency's watch list. Data brokering is a booming business.
    12-06-15 09:22 AM
    To the people who say they have nothing to hide or worry about, the point is you are being profiled. The data brokers are creating an inaccurate personal profile for you based on faulty conclusions about what you read, purchase, search for or accidentally click on. These profiles could later affect your ability to find housing or a job, to be approved for credit or to buy insurance, or to put you on some agency's watch list. Data brokering is a booming business.
    If you may read through this thread first, you will find that there is no profiling with telemetry data.
    The rest can be disabled on W10.
    dolco likes this.
    12-06-15 10:22 AM
    Funny thing is none of that has anything to do with your OS choice. This type of profiling is not being done by Microsoft Apple or Google.

12-06-15 11:41 AM
    If you may read through this thread first, you will find that there is no profiling with telemetry data.
    The rest can be disabled on W10.
    More accurate would be to say that NOW they claim that the telemetry data doesn't tell them personal information other than what programs you run, when and how often. But since the suckers using this OS are unable to avoid all "updates" there's no basis to claim that the capability won't be added later.

12-07-15 07:37 AM
222 ... 6789