12-21-15 10:20 PM
222 ... 56789
tools
    Your attitude and sheepish comment is why it will never change.
    It's not an untrue statement. Trusting corporations -- any corporation -- borders on the foolhardy.

Information is gold, and no entity can respect my privacy more than I do.
    baarn likes this.
    08-12-15 04:06 PM
    Actually it's "I could care less" with the full phrase being "I could care less, but I'd have to try". In any case, don't correct people for things when you don't do your due diligence.

Your phrasing is a modern adjustment, and not the original phrase at all.

Posted via CB10
    Actually, I can't find reference to "but I'd have to try". Several instances of "than you" (comparison).

It seems "could care less" is used in sarcasm and comparisons, but not in your case.

So, it's definitely used lots, but still polarizing amongst who think what's right and what's wrong. It f'n annoys me to hell.

http://blog.dictionary.com/could-care-less/

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 04:26 PM
    http://pxc-coding.com/de/portfolio/donotspy10/

Use this for mass changes at once.

If you have many to install or upgrade, you should be using a custom iso or at the very least, an autounattend file to disable things from the get go.

Posted via CB10
    08-12-15 04:35 PM

If you have many to install or upgrade, you should be using a custom iso or at the very least, an autounattend file to disable things from the get go.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the autounattend file hint... :-)

  BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!  
    08-12-15 04:56 PM

Posted via CB10
    Better not use the express installation of DoNotSpy10, because this will install Open Candy adware.

Summary here http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/com...privacy-tools/

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-18-15 12:13 PM
    My question is more basic. IS it possible to have Windows 10 without giving away all of your information, both personal and tracking? Unless I see something definitive not only do I plan to use the Win7 home premium on current laptop I'll also only look at Win 8.1 for it's replacement.

I opt out of everything I am aware exists in all of my devices. Unfortunately I'm having physical hardware issues with laptop plus I decided to finally get a tablet (Win8.1) as an E book reader with occasional Netflix and Web browsing. So I need to know if I can lock down a Win10 device as thoroughly as earlier OS? I already dodged an "update" that would've installed M$ consumer experience software and hid 2 windows updates that would "prepare" my device to update the OS. I personally think that if the OS is so wonderful why does M$ feel the need to sneak it onto my pc when I've ignored the constant pop-ups telling me to reserve my update! Whether it's true or not, I do wonder about M$ taking the free OS and adding the "feature" to become a yearly service instead of the paid for copy all previous PC's got. Even if they don't, I'm unsure if I would ever run an OS that wouldn't let me refuse future updates either directly or by not letting me have next security patch unless I have all features!

Thoughts, anyone? And no, neither Luddite nor wearing a foil hat. I refuse to give my personal data to any entity, not just M$.

I know NSA could defeat my simple attempts at privacy, that isn't the point. They aren't interested in me as I don't violate laws or post to any social media sites. There's no monetary incentive for them to care about. But if store "A" sells data that I buy certain products to database vendors I then wind up flooded with sales pitches for any related products. What I buy, read, listen to or eat is NOT for sale. I just want to be left alone.

Off of my soap box, does anyone know of any parts of Windows 10 that track or monitor me that CAN'T be turned off? Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    09-08-15 03:30 PM
    09-08-15 03:45 PM
    It seems to me that if Microsoft really meant something malicious they wouldn't have mentioned it in the EULA.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-08-15 08:49 PM
    Yes, yada yada get a tin foil hat etc.

Tin foil hats have a scary way to be right in recent history though.
    How is it tin toil if PRISM, XKeyscore and Tempora live and kicking. Please enlighten us.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2639
    09-09-15 12:56 AM
    My question is more basic. IS it possible to have Windows 10 without giving away all of your information, both personal and tracking? Unless I see something definitive not only do I plan to use the Win7 home premium on current laptop I'll also only look at Win 8.1 for it's replacement.
    Better be careful what updates you install on either of those versions:
    Microsoft accused of adding spy features to Windows 7, 8 | Ars Technica
    lift likes this.
    09-09-15 08:14 AM
    I think this is much to do over nothing. If the NSA or hackers want in a network it won't be at the wireless router level. The feature is on by default but can be turn off during install, or later if desired.

If this were Apple I suspect many would say how amazing and simple they've made connecting to networks.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-10-15 08:41 AM
    Better be careful what updates you install on either of those versions:
    Microsoft accused of adding spy features to Windows 7, 8 | Ars Technica
    Thanks for telling others! I have noticed several of the windows "updates" trying to install new customer experience files, update telemetry etc just in the last few updates. I unchecked and hid them.
    Personally I don't think that they have my best interests at heart for one simple fact. If Windows 10 is something that I will really want, why do they feel justified in sneaking it in by posing as a security update I actually want! A great product is one people chase after. If you have to sucker people just to install it then how can you expect trust instead of disgust??

Posted via CB10
    lift and deadcowboy like this.
    09-17-15 04:23 AM
    lift likes this.
    09-17-15 11:36 AM
    What does he mean by that?

Does John Chen understand what he says himself?
    09-17-15 12:17 PM
    What does he mean by that?

Does John Chen understand what he says himself?
    She means that a Microsoft Phone; like all smartphones, telephones, intercom systems, most computers, and some peripherals; has a built in microphone that can be used to record stuff.
    09-17-15 06:29 PM
    "Microphone" is short for Microsoft phone.
    techvisor likes this.
    09-17-15 06:46 PM
    I know it's fun to drift away into side notes but the basic question IMHO isn't whether Microsoft is malicious or if the tinfoil hat crowd has any validity.

Some of us have always avoided being tracked, not because we are hiding, not to do illicit things or prey on others. We just want to be left alone. That means we dislike giving away personal data, preferences, opinions or anything else to companies that want nothing other than to know as much as possible about you to have a better product to sell to telemarketers, scammers or any other type of business that wants to convince you to use their products by customizing the pitch, confident in the naive idiocy of the general herd. So when I have something to say I don't blog it. Instead of having any social media accounts to blather every thought that ever pops into my head I either talk directly to someone, email or text them. Only in a forum where there are an existing group of people that I have some connection with will I make a public post. Pretty much just here and giving product reviews for things I buy on Amazon. So while I won't class Windows 10 as a security (other than privacy issues I've heard that it is more secure than previous OS) nightmare I DO consider it a PRIVACY issue that I would be forced to allow Micro$oft to collect all of my personal information just for the ability to buy a new PC. Yes, I'm sure that Apple is no better. But with current windows OS besides never signing into any Microsoft site I can remove the "customer experience" telemetry, cancel the automatic updates to put Win10 on my machine, use ghost, delete cache & cookies frequently, not allow flash and take other steps to minimize data collection. With Windows 10 the worst part is that you can NEVER opt out of any updates, even ones that you already know that will either cause your system to have problems or your privacy to do so. Frankly I plan to stay with 7 premium until it dies in 2020 at which point I'll buy an 8.1 and remove all of the telemetry from IT. I figure that by then I won't care as either I'll be old enough that I can't remember how to use a pc anymore or I'll be dead. Who knows? But I won't be donating to companies without my consent.

Just my $.02, YMMV ;-)

Posted via CB10
    10-17-15 10:08 AM
    Love it, but was annoyed that the first thing I needed to do was turn off the "distribute updates to others" peer to peer thing.

Of course I am also concerned about privacy, but whatever they glean from my browsing habits pales in comparison to what people might gather from other's Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 11:50 AM

Posted via CB10
    I've just read that Microsoft is now updating Win7 and Win8/8.1 with the same spyware that's in Windows 10.

http://www.techworm.net/2015/08/new-...indows-10.html

Just about ready to switch back to Mac or Linux. Microsoft almost had me again.

---
    edit: just noticed that someone else replied with a similar story up above. I'll leave this post in tact for visibility as I think it's important.

Posted via CB10
    SunnyFL likes this.
    10-18-15 12:32 PM
    Not sure Mac is really any different. They want iCloud and iTunes on everything.

Posted via CB10
    10-18-15 01:02 PM
    Google, Apple, Microsoft are now pretty much all in the same game.*

Laptops - tick
    Phones - tick
    Tablets - tick
    Advertising and App Store - tick
    ... (edit2
    Cloud Services - tick (various offerings)
    Enterprise - tick (various offerings, again)

So they'll need the same info to stay competitive. The user wants it. Anyone using Siri or Google Now will expect the same from Cortana. And the other way round. That goes for pretty much any other service in the tech ecosystem. For users that actually utilize these services without any hesitation... :-)

(*edit: they emerged from different origins, or with emphasis on different strengths, though. Software /OS, hardware, web search & advertising respectively)

  Ahoy, Privateers...! :-)  
    techvisor likes this.
    10-18-15 06:43 PM
    Has the privacy statement changed for Windows 7 as well?
    10-19-15 04:53 AM
    If you see how Bill Gates operate, for that matter Microsoft, they are part of PRISM. So no, Windows will never be secured as you may think. Linux FreeBSD would be a reasonable choice that is NOT part of PRISM.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.2.2789
    10-19-15 03:20 PM
    Has the privacy statement changed for Windows 7 as well?
    There are optional updates that introduce the 10 snooping into 7/8/8.1... gonna check and remove those later.... :-)

"Telemetry"

 Ahoy, Privateers, ... get ready for some data piracy...! ;-) 
    10-20-15 01:54 AM
    Of course I am also concerned about privacy, but whatever they glean from my browsing habits pales in comparison to what people might gather from other's Facebook and Twitter feeds.

Posted via CB10
    I suppose that's true for the herd. But amazing as it seems, there are still people who don't have ANY social media accounts! Besides myself I've met others who also don't live their lives in public.

Premwhatsapp, there are several good articles on removal of the Win10 nag screens, to stop the downloads and to remove the new telemetry they've tried to install on my pc four times despite my "hiding" the update. The only recourse is not to install ANY recommended or optional update without reading up on it 1st. The latest attempt to install telemetry was disguised as an update TO windows update!

I Have a great deal of mistrust over Win10 for the simple reason that if it was SO great that I'm supposed to badly desire to get it, why do they have to make multiple attempts to sneak it onto people's systems?? Displays a fundamental lack of trustworthiness and contempt for users, both in "we know what's best for you" or "the users are too stupid to know if we do this to them!"

The icing on this nasty cake is the way that once you have Win10 you CAN'T refuse any updates, even slimy ones like these! So I strongly suspect that no matter how many places people opt out of data collection there will always be new ways they'll find to invade your tiny remaining bits of privacy. Not a perfect solution, but my choice remains : NOT creating a Microshaft (deliberate spelling!) account, staying with Win7 until 2020 and then moving to (yuk) as carefully scrubbed as possible copy of Windows 8.1 and hoping that lasts until I'm dead or senile!

As I have posted before, I have no secrets from the government. I just deeply resent any company thinking it has the right to sell every bit of data about me just because it wants to do it! So I agree with those who are outraged over M$ sneaking things in.

Just my $.02, YMMV! ;-)

Posted via CB10
    10-20-15 03:40 PM
222 ... 56789