12-21-15 10:20 PM
222 ... 23456 ...
tools
    That's what "they" told us. How do you/we REALLY know the truth.
    Fox news, but you already knew that.
    07-30-15 11:23 PM
    Google.
    Boom! The font of all 21st century knowledge and ultimate oracle. Nothing beats Google. We'll played sir.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    07-30-15 11:33 PM
    Security Nightmare, as OP states, is any OS that has a sufficient user base to make the effort of exploitation worthwhile. Depending on Windows 10's uptake, it could turn into a security nightmare.

Nothing is impenetrable. If a bank vault holds billions, you'll spend ten man-years trying to get in. If it holds thousands, you'll probably pass.
    That's one of the things I like about their security,you can log in with your face,your iris or fingerprint,they seem to get it,lol
    07-31-15 06:39 AM
    Pffff telepathy > BlackBerry. Nothing more secure than mind-to-mind communications

http://media.giphy.com/media/eVHDkr6EsFLUY/giphy.gif

Until surprise Vulcan Mind Meld!!!

https://trekadams.files.wordpress.co...0/spock-mm.jpg
    That reminds me of TAT and their pie in the sky ability to swipe from one phone or tablet to another one's screen,awesome! Too bad,I'm 100% positive that would have sent sales thru the roof,why hasn't it been realized?
    07-31-15 06:45 AM
    Almost had me. (As if anyone voted for Sarah).
    I voted her for governor.
    lift likes this.
    07-31-15 06:48 AM
    If you use bitlocker Microsoft will store your encryption key in one drive. One drive eula gives Microsoft carte blanche to do anything they want with one drive contents. It's like going to the police station and giving them a key to your house.

I was intrigued by Windows 10 but when I saw all the infringements on our freedoms I chose not to install it. I don't want to get political but it's time to stand up for our privacy and freedom these are basic human rights. https://www.randpaul.com/

Posted via CB10
    lift, peter0328 and jmrat24 like this.
    07-31-15 07:48 AM
    Some valid points but do we stop moving forward because some people refuse to pay attention? I turned off wifi sharing, and if someone comes to my house and needs to connect to the internet, I will ask them if they have it turned off before giving them access or have a guest wifi. While I appreciate the risks in what can be a useful feature, technology cannot stand still.
    Really not sure how its a way to move forward. I disagree with you in that your home wifi being shared automatically with contacts is revolutionary or moving forward when all you have to do is enter a password once to connect to it the first time! Them claiming this as a great feature doesnt make it as such when it has security concerns and it does not make it a way to move forward. In fact I would argue moving forward would be making things more secure as opposed to the opposite since all these cybersecurity issues have become prevalent.
    07-31-15 08:56 AM
    If you use bitlocker Microsoft will store your encryption key in one drive. One drive eula gives Microsoft carte blanche to do anything they want with one drive contents. It's like going to the police station and giving them a key to your house.

I was intrigued by Windows 10 but when I saw all the infringements on our freedoms I chose not to install it. I don't want to get political but it's time to stand up for our privacy and freedom these are basic human rights. https://www.randpaul.com/

Posted via CB10
    I enabled Bitlocker on my laptop for Win10 last night and it gave me the option to store the recovery on OneDrive (which I declined, thank you very little!) but it is NOT forced on you.

Bitlocker generates a recovery key in the event your TPM malfunctions or is corrupted (or you lose your password, if you're using one.) BTW TPM alone is insecure for a number of reasons, but TPM + (good) Password is VERY secure. Be aware that unless you go into group policy editor if you have a TPM you will not be offered the opportunity to add a password as well as the TPM (which is convenient but stupid.)

TPM alone is "ok" for consumer devices, probably, where the primary issue is accidental loss or theft of the device. A modestly determined attacker is probably going to be unable to break that, but a determined and resource-rich adversary (e.g. the cops, a government, etc) is another matter as tricking the TPM into unsealing the key is possible through a number of means. However, TPM + a password is most-easily broken by using a big wrench (on your head) or vice grips (on your fingernails.)

The recovery key is in fact a "spare" key to the house. You are forced to save it somewhere, but "somewhere" can be to a printer or some other device (e.g. plugged in USB stick, etc.) Nothing says you can't immediately destroy it if you wish, but if you do so and then lose the primary key you're screwed, so be careful with doing that. A decent option is to put it on something (either paper or some form of removable media) and put it somewhere that will not be discovered by those who would be interested in getting it. In other words the *location* of such a backup key becomes the secret.

Putting it on OneDrive is just flat-out dumb for all the obvious reasons but you are NOT forced to do that.
    07-31-15 09:13 AM
    I like the feel , not as cumbersome as win8 and presently trying out the edge browser , do they plan to use add-ons as I couldn't find any . so far so good the experience has been good.
    07-31-15 11:00 AM
    I like the feel , not as cumbersome as win8 and presently trying out the edge browser , do they plan to use add-ons as I couldn't find any . so far so good the experience has been good.
    October is the planned date for add- on support

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    07-31-15 11:59 AM
    A piece of string and two tin cans will keep your communications secure.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-15 12:05 PM
    Agreed Win10 has been pretty awesome so far. I disabled all the data collection metrics on install since I don't use Cortana anyway.
    07-31-15 04:50 PM
    Installed it last night/this morning.

Only flaw was that my Ethernet card didn't come with drivers, but I downloaded them to my Passport and moved them over with USB host.

So far it's great.
    07-31-15 05:48 PM
    Has anyone tried to use Link in Windows 10 yet? Since there is no longer Windows Media Player in Win10, BB Link can't find any of my music. I've tried to move the music over via drag and drop in the file manager and my Z30 doesn't like that.
    07-31-15 07:35 PM
    Windows has always been a security nightmare.
    07-31-15 07:43 PM
    Windows 10 seems a security nightmare-img_20150801_091454.png

Windows is not only a security risk... it's a privacy risk too

Posted via CB10
    smart548 likes this.
    08-01-15 03:32 AM
    Well, it's not that people are unaware, it's just that you have a computer and you want do things on it so you need an OS. For full functionality that means Mac or Windows. What can you do? I guess use the appropriate protection like firewalls and proxy services. The bottom line is that I don't blame Microsoft for going down this road, no matter how uncomfortable it is for consumers. Microsoft profits are falling (slowly) as we move to mobile computing. (an area that MS is not popular in) by giving windows 10 to everyone for free (even people running bootleg copies of Windows) is reminiscent of the 80's when windows was virtually given out free to hardware manufacturers to get them to run MS's ecosystem, making them the most common on the planet, thus attracting the most programs and talented programmers and software houses. A good model, but one that has been surpassed by Google's, Apple's and Facebook's. So, by reverting to the original MS business model (get it out there, everywhere) and incorporating Google's method (monitor personal info and preferences and target you with specific adverts and marketing) you have a winning recipe. By having one OS across multiple devices (desktop and phone and tablet and XBOX) you can leverage that fact to increase phone sales and provide your phones with a ready made ecosystem of apps, thus making MS a challenger for Apple and Android in the mobile space.

No, I think it's genius. But I hate what it's going to do nonetheless.

Still, nice to see the that the granddad of the tech companies can still teach the newer powerhouses a thing or two. (at our expense, as always)

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    08-01-15 04:40 AM
    I dont do anything illegal, so I could care less. Also, I haven't known of a type writter that has used ribbons in ages.
    Wow, just wow. Disappointing. .

Via my HTC One M9...
    lift likes this.
    08-01-15 05:31 AM
    I dont do anything illegal, so I could care less. Also, I haven't known of a type writter that has used ribbons in ages.
    Companies mining your information and clogging your bandwidth is not what was paid for or agreed to. Not in this case.

It's the principle of the matter, and complacent people will ruin this country.

Posted via CB10
    lift and to boldly go like this.
    08-01-15 09:25 AM
    Companies mining your information and clogging your bandwidth is not what was paid for or agreed to. Not in this case.

It's the principle of the matter, and complacent people will ruin this country.

Posted via CB10
    This, it has even been studied by a university.

http://www.sfu.ca/snfchs/snf-new-media-lab/Adblock.html

Z10STL100-3/10.3.2.2252 SR 10.3.2.2168
    lift likes this.
    08-01-15 09:48 AM
    It's "couldn't care less" and taking a dump is not illegal, but you wouldn't want people monitoring it would you? The bottom line is that privacy is a very important aspect of FREEDOM.

On another note, you say that you don't do anything illegal but you're doing an absolutely magnificent job of murdering the English language.

Z30STA100-2/10.3.1.2582 O2 UK
    anon(8080272) likes this.
    08-01-15 01:36 PM
    Yeah that sounds fair to me.
    Amazing how far we've fallen.

Free speech has no meaning anymore. Not in person, not on the interweb. From your comment I assume you think it's fair that I would be denied health insurance in the US if I made some search queries about cancer for a friend who was just diagnosed?

Amazing.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-15 03:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    The question what's behind all this. Microsoft is company which is after making money and do so fiercely. Storing and processing excessive information just eat up their profits. All companies including Blackberry do send statistics about their SW/HW to a server, but these are for product evaluation only. Starting to process personal data would just eat up valuable time and resources so no company really want this.

I think it is obvious that US government has pressured companies that produces operating systems to add this extra spying. This also why Blackberry isn't allowed to sell because it isn't a US operating system. They only want US operating system to be used as they have added these extra spy features. Symbian was targeted for the same reason (but also a Bill Gates vendetta added to the mix).
    08-01-15 03:06 PM
    The question what's behind all this. Microsoft is company which is after making money and do so fiercely. Storing and processing excessive information just eat up their profits. All companies including Blackberry do send statistics about their SW/HW to a server, but these are for product evaluation only. Starting to process personal data would just eat up valuable time and resources so no company really want this.

I think it is obvious that US government has pressured companies that produces operating systems to add this extra spying. This also why Blackberry isn't allowed to sell because it isn't a US operating system. They only want US operating system to be used as they have added these extra spy features. Symbian was targeted for the same reason (but also a Bill Gates vendetta added to the mix).
    Dude...
    rthonpm and lift like this.
    08-01-15 03:50 PM
    Dude...
    Yes, yada yada get a tin foil hat etc.

Tin foil hats have a scary way to be right in recent history though.
    08-01-15 04:19 PM
222 ... 23456 ...