12-21-15 10:20 PM
222 12345 ...
tools
    I chew tobacco. I'm an NRA member. I still alcohol. I own assault rifles. Lived in Russia. My daughter in-law is a Chinese national. I voted for Sarah Palin and I still can't get the NSA to notice me.

Its only my healthy narcissism that keeps me believing my personal information is worth stealing.
    They seem woefully inadequate at actually stopping the real criminals, I think you're going to remain unsuccessful.

PassportSQW100-1/10.3.1.2576 O2 UK
    Tim-ANC and lift like this.
    07-30-15 08:17 AM
    I chew tobacco. I'm an NRA member. I still alcohol. I own assault rifles. Lived in Russia. My daughter in-law is a Chinese national. I voted for Sarah Palin and I still can't get the NSA to notice me.

Its only my healthy narcissism that keeps me believing my personal information is worth stealing.
    I don't know, identity theft is usually pretty serious. It can make you lose your job and worldly possessions if you can't get it sorted out.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    07-30-15 08:37 AM
    They seem woefully inadequate at actually stopping the real criminals, I think you're going to remain unsuccessful.

They succeeded in foiling more than one terrorist attack planned for July 4. So yes, some of NSA's methods are working.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    07-30-15 09:20 AM
    You still have to opt in each wifi credential the first time you use them, so if I understand correctly nothing is collected at that point (I turned it off in setting during set-up).
    Yes you have control over that part but what if your friend comes over with their windows 10 and connects to your wifi and its sharing it to his contacts by default. The problem with "features" like these is that you cant control what others do entirely. You would have to have a guest wifi for them, block wifi access, or educate them on not sharing.
    There are alot of security implications with this sharing function and people don't pay attention to things so its going to get shared easily by others. The responsiblity is placed on the user who will not pay enough attention to not share it!!!
    BlackQtCoder and lift like this.
    07-30-15 10:27 AM
    Yes you have control over that part but what if your friend comes over with their windows 10 and connects to your wifi and its sharing it to his contacts by default. The problem with "features" like these is that you cant control what others do entirely. You would have to have a guest wifi for them, block wifi access, or educate them on not sharing.
    There are alot of security implications with this sharing function and people don't pay attention to things so its going to get shared easily by others. The responsiblity is placed on the user who will not pay enough attention to not share it!!!
    Some valid points but do we stop moving forward because some people refuse to pay attention? I turned off wifi sharing, and if someone comes to my house and needs to connect to the internet, I will ask them if they have it turned off before giving them access or have a guest wifi. While I appreciate the risks in what can be a useful feature, technology cannot stand still.
    07-30-15 10:42 AM
    I dont do anything illegal, so I could care less. Also, I haven't known of a type writter that has used ribbons in ages.
    Do you have a door on your bathroom?
    tmf06, gvs1341 and clickitykeys like this.
    07-30-15 11:03 AM
    I don't know, identity theft is usually pretty serious. It can make you lose your job and worldly possessions if you can't get it sorted out.
    Oh I know, I was a victim of identity theft. $15000 of credit card debt taken out in my name. Took several years to get it all cleaned up and I knew who did it. But the perpetrator was close family member, not a stranger through the internet. As is often the case, such dangers tend to be close to home.
    jmr1015 and anon(8908445) like this.
    07-30-15 11:03 AM
    They succeeded in foiling more than one terrorist attack planned for July 4. So yes, some of NSA's methods are working.

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Passport
    Going by their own statements?
    I can say that BlackBerry will produce an iOS device. Would you believe me?
    dejanh and lift like this.
    07-30-15 11:27 AM
    To bring the topic back on point, here's a rather interesting article defusing most of the FUD about Wifi Sense: Windows 10's Wi-Fi Sense is not a security risk. Here's why | ZDNet
    kbz1960 likes this.
    07-30-15 12:50 PM
    Just about everything we use is sniffed in some manner by the provider, some more than others.
    I have been using Windows 10 in beta since October last year and just updated my own desktop into the Pro version and love it.
    We need to stop with the paranoia, if not use landlines and typewriters as it won't get any better.
    Stop with the paranoia? People have lost jobs and been denied health insurance because of stupid comments posted on social media and/or search queries on Google etc. There are stupid people everywhere who will post/search stupid stuff all the time. Is that a fair punishment though? A little paranoia is a good thing these days...and you're dreaming if you think all is well. You don't even have to be doing anything illegal to have your life ruined because of the interweb. C'est la vie, right? Do you think it's ok for someone to look into your bedroom window, as long as you're not getting undressed?

And yeah, I know...if you're so worried don't use it. Is that what it's really come to?

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 01:20 PM
    Stop with the paranoia? People have lost jobs and been denied health insurance because of stupid comments posted on social media and/or search queries on Google etc. There are stupid people everywhere who will post/search stupid stuff all the time. Is that a fair punishment though?
    Yeah that sounds fair to me.
    07-30-15 02:03 PM
    The cone of silence...
    Brought back memories of those funny Get Smart scenes lol.

Posted via CB10
    fkornre likes this.
    07-30-15 02:06 PM
    Stop with the paranoia? People have lost jobs and been denied health insurance because of stupid comments posted on social media and/or search queries on Google etc. There are stupid people everywhere who will post/search stupid stuff all the time. Is that a fair punishment though? A little paranoia is a good thing these days...and you're dreaming if you think all is well. You don't even have to be doing anything illegal to have your life ruined because of the interweb. C'est la vie, right? Do you think it's ok for someone to look into your bedroom window, as long as you're not getting undressed?
    And yeah, I know...if you're so worried don't use it. Is that what it's really come to?
    It seems like you're equating the repercussions of people doing stupid things (over-sharing on public social media, fire-able offenses at work, etc.) with the potential repercussions of simply using online services that collect some of your data (spoiler: they all do).

Can you imagine the storm of manure that would engulf a company like Microsoft or Google if people faced personal repercussions as a result of them misusing your data (which is rarely even seen by a human in anything but a highly generic form) in any way that they weren't legally obligated to? The day that a company like Microsoft or Google starts trading your "estimated health profile" with insurers or your "company loyalty profile" with your employer is the same day that company will be slaughtered on the stock market, swamped with lawsuits & investigated by every regulatory board that can find a thread to grab onto.

Personally, I think that public-facing companies that rely on user trust have too much at stake to start dumping toxic sludge into their own drinking water.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    07-30-15 02:27 PM
    I do like the forcing of Windows updates, though.

Would probably irritate the same crowd that thinks 10.3.2 is haram, but they're all probably on XP anyway.

Just don't force a 1Gb update to my notebook while I'm connected to my mobile hotspot...

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 02:43 PM
    Just don't force a 1Gb update to my notebook while I'm connected to my mobile hotspot...

Posted via CB10
    There is an option in Windows update to not download updates when on a metred connection, such as a hotspot...
    07-30-15 03:02 PM
    I just installed it today, and I made should I had the enterprise version so I could completely disable everything to do with sending info to MS.

Honestly, BB, Android, and iOS do this already in several ways, you guys just hit that "I accept the TOS" check way too fast. At least MS is being upfront about it.
    07-30-15 06:28 PM
    I just installed it today, and I made should I had the enterprise version so I could completely disable everything to do with sending info to MS.

Honestly, BB, Android, and iOS do this already in several ways, you guys just hit that "I accept the TOS" check way too fast. At least MS is being upfront about it.
    Enterprise or Professional? The Enterprise version is a trial version so unless you have a KMS server you won't have any way to activate it. Just get Professional and learn how to use the group policy settings to disable anything you don't want to use.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 06:42 PM

Lp

Posted via CB10
    07-30-15 07:21 PM
    Enterprise or Professional? The Enterprise version is a trial version so unless you have a KMS server you won't have any way to activate it. Just get Professional and learn how to use the group policy settings to disable anything you don't want to use.

Posted via CB10
    With anything under enterprise, you can only disable to an extent, regardless of group policy settings.. Enterprise are allowed to opt out completely.
    Don't worry how I'm activating
    07-30-15 08:49 PM
    Security Nightmare, as OP states, is any OS that has a sufficient user base to make the effort of exploitation worthwhile. Depending on Windows 10's uptake, it could turn into a security nightmare.

Nothing is impenetrable. If a bank vault holds billions, you'll spend ten man-years trying to get in. If it holds thousands, you'll probably pass.
    07-30-15 10:52 PM
    They succeeded in foiling more than one terrorist attack planned for July 4.
    That's what "they" told us. How do you/we REALLY know the truth.
    07-30-15 10:52 PM
    That means you care, no?

Posted via CB10
    Don't think he got it.
    07-30-15 10:55 PM

Almost had me. (As if anyone voted for Sarah).
    BCITMike and Tim-ANC like this.
    07-30-15 10:58 PM
    Almost had me. (As if anyone voted for Sarah).
    You live in Canada. How would you know who voted for Sarah?
    07-30-15 11:03 PM
    You live in Canada. How would you know who voted for Sarah?
    Google.
    07-30-15 11:13 PM
222 12345 ...