Hi,

I have no clue about the blackberry phone release dates, I think the Pearl 9100 has been out for a year and I wanted to know if a new one is coming soon as I want to buy a Pearl model.. Does anyone know if a new Pearl model will be released anytime soon? Or should i just go for the Pearl 9100??
    Sorry if it's been asked recently.

Thanks
    10-09-11 09:29 AM
    No, the Pearl is officially dead. I know there are some people who like the Pearl due to its size, but the Bold is a much better device.
    10-09-11 10:35 AM
    SharpieFiend, do you have any evidence at all that the Pearl is "officially dead"?

OP, don't expect a new version of the Pearl to come anytime soon, but I don't see any reason why we won't see a new one some time in the future.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-11 10:54 AM
    Haven't heard any rumours of a new Pearl from any sources. I wasn't a fan of the Pearl myself due to the keyboard and small screen. Prefer the Bold, but I can certainly understand the appeal.
    10-09-11 10:59 AM
    Gerard Butler will be crushed :P
    10-09-11 11:42 AM
    Wasn't there a pic of a pearl with a full qwerty floating around?

10-09-11 12:20 PM
    No, the Pearl is officially dead. I know there are some people who like the Pearl due to its size, but the Bold is a much better device.
    The Pearl was the best Blackberry ever made right up there with the 9000 & 83xx. I loved my Pearl & still own one for emergencies.
    ashleyxblue likes this.
    10-09-11 02:44 PM
    The Pearl was the best Blackberry ever made right up there with the 9000 & 83xx. I loved my Pearl & still own one for emergencies.
    My wife has one and it has the best speaker out of all blackberrys, so clear and loud.
    10-09-11 03:16 PM
    My wife has one and it has the best speaker out of all blackberrys, so clear and loud.
    I have to agree with your wife. Great speakers and microphone. Pictures were good on it considering being like 1.2 mpxls. The thing is a tank. It's been dropped, tossed, sat on, and the only reasons it was retired was lack of updates, freezing up, and low memory.
    ashleyxblue likes this.
    10-09-11 04:36 PM
    I have to agree with your wife. Great speakers and microphone. Pictures were good on it considering being like 1.2 mpxls. The thing is a tank. It's been dropped, tossed, sat on, and the only reasons it was retired was lack of updates, freezing up, and low memory.
    Yeah, I noticed the old Pearl had 2 speakers, the same size as the one in the 8300s but 2 instead of one. She now has the Pearl 3G and it's just as good, although I don't know if it's still 2 speakers in it.

10-09-11 04:54 PM
    Wasn't there a pic of a pearl with a full qwerty floating around?

Yes, i think they called it the curve .
    10-09-11 06:17 PM
    Yes, i think they called it the curve .
    No, there were some prototypes floating around that were Pearls with full qwerty.
    10-09-11 07:16 PM
    I would LOVE another Pearl - that is one BB I do miss. I was really tempted to track down a Virgin Canada model when they were selling the 9100 off at $99 to clear them out. Yes - that was $99 no contact pricing. I would totally have paid the $20 to unlock it to use on Bell as an emergency phone...

My purple 8130 was a friggin' tank.
    ashleyxblue likes this.
    10-09-11 07:21 PM
    I tried one for a month just to see what the Pearl was all about.
    I really liked it, and once you get used to SureType you can really fly on that keyboard.

The size makes it easy to shove in any pocket.
    The only thing I couldn't live with was the small screen.
    10-09-11 08:03 PM
    My guess is that RIM wil make a new Pearl when the Curve 9360's chipset has aged, slightly. That way RIM can maybe get it cheaper and a upgraded version that might be more energy efficient.

I can't see RIM putting the 1ghz snapdragon in the 9160, and the Curve is already at the bare minimum for battery life. And of course, the Pearl will be smaller than the 9360.

If RIM made a new Pearl that is thinner than the 9100, had the same specs as the 9360, and had at least 5 hours of battery life, then it would be a miracle of miniaturization.
    10-09-11 09:22 PM
    I didn't mind the pearl I had, I just grew tired of the double key presses. It was a tough device. I have a feeling it's not dead at all.

ashleyxblue likes this.
    10-10-11 01:31 AM
    I think that the Pearl is pretty much gone for good because one of the main reasons for its existence was to convert people from candybar featurephones to a blackberry, but now the people using featurephones tend to be using full touchscreen phones so the gateway smartphone would now be something like the curve 9380 instead.
    ashleyxblue likes this.
    10-10-11 05:00 AM
    Thanks for the replies, I have decided to go with the new Blackberry Curve..Since most of you seem to think that the Pearl is 'dead', I really liked the Pearl series.
    Thanks again!
    10-10-11 12:12 PM
    I had a couple 8100's and they were tanks. I dropped them, ran over one, dog chewed on one and thing just kept on keeeping! I still have them as emergency phones.

I personally don't see them coming out with them anytime soon though. I don't think i could even go back to it full time. Screen and low memory are a must now.

10-10-11 04:45 PM
    I hope so that was my 1st blackberry
    10-10-11 05:33 PM
    I tried one for a month just to see what the Pearl was all about.
    I really liked it, and once you get used to SureType you can really fly on that keyboard.

The size makes it easy to shove in any pocket.
    The only thing I couldn't live with was the small screen.
    It was great for one-thumb typing! 14 months after getting my iPhone4 and I still cant type as fast on it as I did on my Pearl. Up until this weekend, I was using my old Pearl as my back up alarm in the morning (yikes, that thing is loud). I left it plugged in for months. This weekend I noticed that it was warm to touch, and the battery door was warped. Turns out the battery was bulging! I removed the battery, but unfortunately the phone (as an alarm) wont work without it.
    10-10-11 08:12 PM
    It was great for one-thumb typing! 14 months after getting my iPhone4 and I still cant type as fast on it as I did on my Pearl. Up until this weekend, I was using my old Pearl as my back up alarm in the morning (yikes, that thing is loud). I left it plugged in for months. This weekend I noticed that it was warm to touch, and the battery door was warped. Turns out the battery was bulging! I removed the battery, but unfortunately the phone (as an alarm) wont work without it.
    You'll need to get a replacement battery from ebay. They're dirt-cheap and great aftermarket replacements.

lotuslanderz likes this.
    10-10-11 08:37 PM
    I am very happy with my Pearl 9100 even if it is a year old. Its an amazing phone.

10-10-11 10:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD