12-17-13 10:25 PM
105 ... 2345
tools
    Thought so too.

Also, I think the privacy issue associated with iBeacon may have been blown out of proportion. For me, the retail scenario seems no more invasive than the many security cameras already installed in-store monitoring shoppers. Yet the potential of the indoor positioning capability is far reaching.

Though I cringed at the iBeacon name. And, as others already pointed out iBeacon really just works on BLE. But, marketing is marketing.
    A video camera has no way of going on my personal device in my pocket and get my name of my phone, what I last typed, and where I last browsed. Wayyy different!!!! Very different, not even a comparision.

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    12-09-13 08:40 AM
    iBeacon is an awful, awful thing. IT WILL NEVER INFECT MY IPHONE!!!....

Sorry to be dramatic. Just the mere thought if this "technology" makes me want to smash everything electronic.
    12-09-13 10:24 AM
    A video camera has no way of going on my personal device in my pocket and get my name of my phone, what I last typed, and where I last browsed. Wayyy different!!!! Very different, not even a comparision.

I understand your feeling. But you may have given iBeacon too much credit to believe it could easily do all the things you feared. I'm just saying that we should not trivialize this thing to allow Apple to have it all again.
    12-09-13 10:33 AM
    iBeacon is an awful, awful thing. IT WILL NEVER INFECT MY IPHONE!!!....

Sorry to be dramatic. Just the mere thought if this "technology" makes me want to smash everything electronic.
    What is really awful are those nanoprobes that the evil NSA had the CDC put in all of the flu shots for the last three years.... isn't the possibilities of technology grand!
    12-09-13 10:44 AM
    As much as we hate waiting in line at the "store", retailers hate having to pay those people to be there. They just have to fine the right technology to make the they "system" work to allow them to get rid of those "checkers" and get people comfortable with it.
    Very good point. The adoption or popularity of iBeacon may initially be driven by the retailers more than by the consumers. As soon it becomes a reality, consumers will most likely get along in droves, regardless of any preconceived privacy concern. At BlackBerry, let's not stay behind.
    12-09-13 10:49 AM
    Interesting, but its a very US/Apple myopic view of the world. I agree that lots of small independents is where Square & Beacon can play...although I think Square is the better option as it is less big brother in its implementation and less hardware/set-up. Square is a very creative, low-overhead mobile acquisition play that is non-threatening to Joe Lunchbox.

Did you notice the article isn't talking about the hidden P2P beacon feature that makes every iPhone a beacon transmitter automatically?This will be a big fear factor for the average American who already thinks NSA is listening to everything they do and are concerned about who is using their data. Huge loss of control fears to be managed with this method.

I think it will be very different say in Canada where we are less fragmented and the Tap&Go or PayPass terminals (ie NFC) have very deep distribution already with most major retailers. Plus we have MasterCard & Visa actively pushing them and most upgrades or new POS acquisition terminals come with it by default. Once the major banks push out their eWallets in a big way in 2014 I think more people will inherently trust that ecosystem much more. Plus add on the other convergent uses of NFC on your phone in addition to POS terminal interactions such as secure building access, easy file sharing, smart tags, etc.

It is interesting, for sure. Bluetooth LE can certainly play a part as a technology enabler, but psycho/social issues around deliberate choice interaction vs forced interaction I think are being underestimated in the Apple scenario being described and doesn't take into consideration the banking/POS infrastructure in other countries.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by jstirtzinger; 12-09-13 at 11:24 AM.
    asherwiin likes this.
    12-09-13 10:54 AM
    Why can't they just compliment each other. Blutooth is a bit more long range. Not sure if banks would trust something like that since a signal can easily be relayed (look at the car industry and how after all these years, they still haven't solved the "relay" weakness from keyless entry keys).

But blutooth can be used to open less secure areas, track positions inside a shopping mall, send location based promotions.

NFC can be used for the more sensitive stuff like payments, mobile wallets. I know apple won't like this, but sometime they'll just have to accept they are not the center of the world

Posted via CB10
    jstirtzinger likes this.
    12-09-13 11:27 AM
    Why can't they just compliment each other. Blutooth is a bit more long range. Not sure if banks would trust something like that since a signal can easily be relayed (look at the car industry and how after all these years, they still haven't solved the "relay" weakness from keyless entry keys).

But blutooth can be used to open less secure areas, track positions inside a shopping mall, send location based promotions.

NFC can be used for the more sensitive stuff like payments, mobile wallets. I know apple won't like this, but sometime they'll just have to accept they are not the center of the world

Posted via CB10
    I completely agree.

Posted via CB10
    12-09-13 11:37 AM
    2. There are a lot more people with Android phones than with iPhones.
    It's not about people, it's about shoppers.
    12-09-13 08:22 PM
    NFC is becoming the standard today for making payments and in a number of other industries.

But in industry RFID is still being used predominantly, and while most all credit card machines are now NFC capable... how many people use it?

Now if Apple pushes out an easy to setup and use App, they go thru a big marketing campaign and people start doing it for the "cool" factor. And in conjunction they pay a few big retailers to install the necessary hardware to get things started....

Imagine making a shopping list on your phone for the SUPER CENTER and instead of having to search for everything, your phone leads you to each item using the shortest route.... you get to the register and everything is already scanned and the payment applied. Maybe all you have to do is go through a scanner to have all of the items in your cart processed and removed from the security scanner database at the doors, pick up your receipt and go.

Maybe iBeacon won't be the end of NFC, but I can see RFID, NFC and iBeacon all working together.... except for with iPhones that may never have NFC chips.

As much as we hate waiting in line at the "store", retailers hate having to pay those people to be there. They just have to fine the right technology to make the they "system" work to allow them to get rid of those "checkers" and get people comfortable with it.
    Amazon has all this and more covered
    12-09-13 09:46 PM
    Amazon has all this and more covered
    LOL. Yes change the scenario above to "imagine NEVER having to go to the shopping center." :-)

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 06:01 AM
    Qualcomm announces its own version of proximity sensor.

BT Smart is the same thing as BT LE. In volume these things are pretty cheap so the tech has really opened up to everyone.
    12-10-13 08:53 AM
    IBeacon isn't even a new technology so I'm just curious as to why it's being compared to NFC. Please stop with this ridiculous sensationalism. This iBeacon stuff has nothing to do with NFC therefore it won't be an NFC killer. Also it's proprietary and therefore the OS with the biggest marketshare will never get it. This is just a marketing tool for Apple.

Edit: removed the word ret*rded since it got starred out and also, Android *can* apparently use this, but why would it? This "technology" has nothing to do with NFC anyway. You guys do realise it's literally a Bluetooth device pushing notifications? So magical, what's Steve Job's ghost going to come up with next?
    Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 03:10 AM
    IBeacon isn't even a new technology so I'm just curious as to why it's being compared to NFC. Please stop with this ridiculous sensationalism. This iBeacon stuff has nothing to do with NFC therefore it won't be an NFC killer. Also it's proprietary and therefore the OS with the biggest marketshare will never get it. This is just a marketing tool for Apple.

Edit: removed the word ret*rded since it got starred out and also, Android *can* apparently use this, but why would it? This "technology" has nothing to do with NFC anyway. You guys do realise it's literally a Bluetooth device pushing notifications? So magical, what's Steve Job's ghost going to come up with next?
    Posted via CB10
    I think the point is iBeacons will accelerate a change in mindset, from making a purchase via line of persons leading to a single point of sale, to an interactive experience that includes purchasing from anywhere in the store.
    Google may create something similar, partnering with businesses, meshing together Google Wallet and Places.
    Also, why not just use a barcode generated from banking app, similar to the Starbucks app? Why not continue to use my debit card?

NFC requires an additional radio on your phone, to what benefit? I don't think NFC will ever see widespread adoption, too many factors going against it.
    12-12-13 10:29 PM
    NFC requires an additional radio on your phone, to what benefit? I don't think NFC will ever see widespread adoption, too many factors going against it.
    Although the ONLY phone that doesn't have it today is an iPhone. Also your Visas and Mastercards are already NFC issued today...that's how the pay pass and tapn'go works. For people that want to avoid lines they'll shop on line instead.

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 06:29 AM
    80% of the phones in the world are non-Apple. The only market where this might gain some widespread traction is the USA, which today is an increasingly smaller part of the global market.

Uphill battle for Apple...
    May 80% aren't apple if you count the dumb phones. But those android market shares include so many android devices that are cheap and aren't being used as smartphones. The us is close to 50/50 between android and iphone. But the iphones are used much much more for smartphone stuff.
    Basically no one in the us is going to develope a nfc service and roll it out because iphones don't use it. There won't be further development in the us.
    Personally I don't want a store scanning my iPhone and trying to send it more ads. So I don't really see the service here.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 07:15 AM
    Although the ONLY phone that doesn't have it today is an iPhone. Also your Visas and Mastercards are already NFC issued today...that's how the pay pass and tapn'go works. For people that want to avoid lines they'll shop on line instead.

Posted via CB10
    In the US the iphone is basically the only phone that matters. Even the iphone 5c with its technology from 2012 is outselling all other androids except the Galaxy S4. Add in that iphone 3Gs and of course the 4s are still very functional and the number of iphones out there is just huge. A store that tries to serve non-iphones in the us is going to waste its time.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 07:23 AM
    May 80% aren't apple if you count the dumb phones. But those android market shares include so many android devices that are cheap and aren't being used as smartphones. The us is close to 50/50 between android and iphone. But the iphones are used much much more for smartphone stuff.
    Basically no one in the us is going to develope a nfc service and roll it out because iphones don't use it. There won't be further development in the us.
    Personally I don't want a store scanning my iPhone and trying to send it more ads. So I don't really see the service here.

Posted via CB10
    Except that point of sale terminals already supporting nfc exist...for Mastercard PayPass and Visa PayWave. Nothing new needs to be implemented from the merchant's perspective.

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    12-14-13 03:34 PM
    http://allthingsd.com/20131205/siri-...ypted-in-2014/

A prediction from Mark Anderson, CEO of Strategic News Service:

"Micromapping arrives. Were accustomed to having our phones tell us how to get where were going, but that utility usually stops the second you step indoors. Thats going to change as numerous companies start working on what Anderson calls MALT: Micromapping, Advertising, Location and ID, and Transactions. Precise indoor maps and location information will be coupled with advertising thats targeted at you and that can lead to a transaction that might not even require waiting in a checkout line. Your phone will bring the store to you. It will know what you like, and direct you to where those things are, and when you pick them up, youll just walk out. The store will know who you are and how youre paying, and youll just walk out.
    12-15-13 06:06 AM
    Interesting, but its a very US/Apple myopic view of the world. I agree that lots of small independents is where Square & Beacon can play...although I think Square is the better option as it is less big brother in its implementation and less hardware/set-up. Square is a very creative, low-overhead mobile acquisition play that is non-threatening to Joe Lunchbox.

Did you notice the article isn't talking about the hidden P2P beacon feature that makes every iPhone a beacon transmitter automatically?This will be a big fear factor for the average American who already thinks NSA is listening to everything they do and are concerned about who is using their data. Huge loss of control fears to be managed with this method.

I think it will be very different say in Canada where we are less fragmented and the Tap&Go or PayPass terminals (ie NFC) have very deep distribution already with most major retailers. Plus we have MasterCard & Visa actively pushing them and most upgrades or new POS acquisition terminals come with it by default. Once the major banks push out their eWallets in a big way in 2014 I think more people will inherently trust that ecosystem much more. Plus add on the other convergent uses of NFC on your phone in addition to POS terminal interactions such as secure building access, easy file sharing, smart tags, etc.

It is interesting, for sure. Bluetooth LE can certainly play a part as a technology enabler, but psycho/social issues around deliberate choice interaction vs forced interaction I think are being underestimated in the Apple scenario being described and doesn't take into consideration the banking/POS infrastructure in other countries.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah. I can already use my phone to pay for coffee this way, and using my phone as a visa won't be much different
    12-15-13 06:18 AM
    I understand your feeling. But you may have given iBeacon too much credit to believe it could easily do all the things you feared. I'm just saying that we should not trivialize this thing to allow Apple to have it all again.
    Maybe too much credit, but kinda scary that technology is close to having that power, and yes I am aware I can turn my phone off in a store if I don't want it detected by ibeacon, but if they want to send me directions, have it available to access on a smart panel where I go to it, and set my phone to where it wants to go, not send to me cause my ibeacon is on with my phone. It's too intrusive!

12-15-13 02:37 PM
    Android and BlackBerry use NFC. Seeing how the two are getting so chummy now. I wouldn't buy a black suit just yet.

Posted with my BBZ10 Superphone via CB10 app
    12-15-13 08:39 PM
    It takes away your privacy. I will not ever use opt in iBeacon. Even CBC had posted this. http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/technology/story/1.2457316

Anyway, what will the security be for the iBeacon?

Posted via CB10 on my Z10.
    12-15-13 09:43 PM

An afterthought.
    12-15-13 11:48 PM
    It takes away your privacy. I will not ever use opt in iBeacon. Even CBC had posted this. http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/technology/story/1.2457316

if I were to guess, maybe something called iSecurity.

Throw an "i" in front of anything apple and it just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling of reassurance.
    12-16-13 12:01 AM
105 ... 2345