I am just saying that I don't see millions of NFC readers being replaced by blutooth, do you ?

Also, i'm in Canada, NFC payment is really picking up here. 90% of payment terminals uses NFC (I tap my credit card all the time) , bus passes are NFC, self serve bike rentals are NFC... the only thing is making phones compatible with it.. and it's on the way!

Posted via CB10
    Technically, what you are referring to is RFID. The NFC spec is built on top of RFID, but it requires two-way communications, so you need something like a smartphone.

Despite the thread title, these technologies are quite different. You wouldn't want to use iBeacon/Bluetooth LE to unlock a door. But iBeacon does allow for some interesting use cases. For example, an airport could use it to give you turn-by-turn directions to your gate--including leading you to the security check with the shortest line. That's not something you can do today with NFC (or with wifi).
    12-07-13 08:42 AM
    [QUOTE=CherokeeMarty;9665537]
    NewsBlogsIn Depth
    Game over for NFC as Apple iBeacons hit world's busiest retail stores | Computerworld Blogs

Jonny Evans
    Apple Holic
    Game over for NFC as Apple iBeacons hit world's busiest retail stores
    By Jonny Evans
    December 06, 2013 9:24 AM EST
    NFC is finished. It was a dream that failed.� Any hope its champions may once have held ended today when Apple switched on iBeacons solutions across its insanely busy US retail stores.

Three things in this post are worth further investigation:
    1. It appears that, currently, iBeacon exists only in Apple stores, which is a limited space. How fast it migrates out of the Apple stores is a completely different question. It would require hardware, software, and manpower training costs at any other retailer that chooses to install it. What is that cost?
    2. There are a lot more people with Android phones than with iPhones. NFC has yet to be fully exploited in the retail environment, and the technology is very straight forward. NFC has been in use for 30 years I know of. All that's needed is the software installation at the retailer's end to support NFC payments along with a secure credit card wallet available on the phones that have NFC capacity (HELLO, BLACKBERRY!) And with barcode scanners present at every retailer, a payment method using a credit card securely stored on your phone and displaying a barcode, payments are really simple.
    3. With the security issues of iPhones, which are easily hi-jacked by MITM attack, the iBeacon seems to be a potential magnet for hackers and thieves. Scanned barcodes don't possess this vulnerability.

Just something to think about.
    Apple’s iBeacon Comes To Retailers Via Shopkick’s ShopBeacon

"ShopBeacon, as the new iBeacon transmitter is called, begins trials today in Macy’s in Union Square, San Francisco and Herald Square, NYC, before Shopkick rolls it out to more of its retail partners across the U.S.

Those retailers include American Eagle Outfitters, Best Buy, Crate and Barrel, JCPenney, Macy’s, Old Navy, The Sports Authority and Target, among a number of consumer brands that also promote product offers through the app.
    The closed beta in the two Macy’s stores — which will work on the Shopkick app not just on iPhone devices but also Android handsets using version 4.3 or higher — will open up to all visitors in the locations “within weeks.”

Apple to precisely locate shoppers within its stores using iBeacon technology

"Major League Baseball already plans to use the technology next year to customize fans' experiences at its ballparks, provided they download the At The Ballpark app to their iPhones or iPads and have iOS 7 installed. In a demo earlier this year, MLB officials showed how the app can offer special features based on users' location in a stadium, such as coupons in the souvenir shop or a video that plays near landmarks."

iBeacon Technology Tapped to Unlock Location-Specific Newsstand Content on iOS Devices

"Exact Editions, a London based digital publishing startup, has begun implementing Apple's iBeacon microlocation receivers to deliver location-based access to iOS Newsstand publications, reports TechCrunch. The iBeacon receivers are used as a part of the company's “ByPlace“ service, which can trigger location specific publications and other content once an iPhone or iPad is nearby. "

Vendors
    ROXIMITY IBEACON Take full advantage of iPhone's new iBeacon framework, simply
    iBeacon Apps
    Estimote Beacons
    Real world context for your apps

Bleu Station
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12-07-13 at 10:09 AM.
    12-07-13 09:38 AM
    I am just saying that I don't see millions of NFC readers being replaced by blutooth, do you ?

Also, i'm in Canada, NFC payment is really picking up here. 90% of payment terminals uses NFC (I tap my credit card all the time) , bus passes are NFC, self serve bike rentals are NFC... the only thing is making phones compatible with it.. and it's on the way!

Posted via CB10
    Most new smartphones have bluetooth 4.0. Android and blackberry phones have the same capabilities. Ibeacons are generic to apple, while Android has S-beam. The difference between beacons and NFC is cost and proximity.
    12-07-13 10:02 AM
    NFC is just starting here in Austria! The majority of new credit- and maestro cards are NFC enabled and a lot of super markets have updated their payment terminals. You can handle transactions really fast that way!

The next logical step would be to support this functionality within an app on your smartphone...
    12-07-13 11:49 AM
    Apple's move to deploy these solutions on the high street means NFC has been beaten at its own game.
    And if President Obama tries to use it he will get his knuckles smacked by his security team!
    Apple does have a great propaganda machine!:
    12-07-13 01:40 PM
    And if President Obama tries to use it he will get his knuckles smacked by his security team!
    Apple does have a great propaganda machine!:
    What?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-07-13 03:49 PM
    Another example of Apple competing for the bronze medal, all the result of an OS that is seriously out of date and in desparate need of a dramatic refreshment.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    12-07-13 03:55 PM
    Another example of Apple competing for the bronze medal, all the result of an OS that is seriously out of date and in desparate need of a dramatic refreshment.
    Nothing wrong bronze, as long as it brings you gold.
    12-07-13 04:10 PM
    No one uses NFC (FROM THEIR PHONE) in the US. Which, like it or not, is still the biggest and the most affluent technology market in the world. This will amount to more transactions (and higher dollar amounts per transaction) in a month, just in Apple stores, than NFC has in all of North America throughout it's entire history. If jelly-bean and kit-kat can do it too, then yeah; NFC on this continent has just been smothered in its crib.

I see people use NFC (from their phone) here in the US all the time. What are you basing your claim on? Myself, as someone who has numerous retail outlets as clients, I see it quite often.

Are you confusing "no one in the US" with the more accurate "I myself personally don't use it"?

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    anon(5624621) and web99 like this.
    12-07-13 04:24 PM
    I see people use NFC (from their phone) here in the US all the time. What are you basing your claim on? Myself, as someone who has numerous retail outlets as clients, I see it quite often.

Are you confusing "no one in the US" with the more accurate "I myself personally don't use it"?

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    I agree. I see more people paying this way now here in the DC area and other places I visit in the US. This is especially true now that Isis is out.

I also know of another retailer who is rolling out iBeacons in their ten largest stores. That same retailer accepts NFC at checkout. So I see both technologies growing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    DenverRalphy likes this.
    12-07-13 04:31 PM
    Yes. I was basing my statements on personal experience. I admit that. After doing a little a very little bit of research, I'll change my statement to say "statistically, a few".
    12-07-13 04:36 PM
    so basically its just another extension to wifi?
    12-07-13 04:45 PM
    No one uses NFC (FROM THEIR PHONE) in the US. Which, like it or not, is still the biggest and the most affluent technology market in the world. This will amount to more transactions (and higher dollar amounts per transaction) in a month, just in Apple stores, than NFC has in all of North America throughout it's entire history. If jelly-bean and kit-kat can do it too, then yeah; NFC on this continent has just been smothered in its crib.

There are over 100 NFC enabled payment locations within 12 miles of my house. I doubt that number will decrease within 12 months.
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    12-07-13 05:07 PM
    I just want to point out that the range limitation of NFC is considered a security advantage, since there is no way to intercept a signal from a distance.

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    canuckvoip and eldricho like this.
    12-07-13 05:31 PM
    I can see major hacks happening now lol
    12-07-13 05:32 PM
    redacted 10char
    12-07-13 07:08 PM
    I haven't used NFC in my Z10 for anything - tried sending a picture to a friends Note3, but I guess they aren't compatible. Purchases.... just don't see an advantage in pulling out my phone and turning NFC on when a CC is so easy (you don't think I'm going to leave NFC on all the time with the Z10 battery life do you?) But I know that most retailers are set up for NFC now, changing would be expensive. Of course Apple owners are a commodity that some retailers would be happy to make changes for.
    1. unless this is like the starbucks app where it generates a barcode for them to scan (which i think is lame and not innovative), I have no idea how this is going to work or if it is going to work at all!

2. I can see it being easily hacked and credit card information stolen without actual NFC

I just used my NFC mobile payment today at the supermarket and the cashier was astonished. She didnt believe her eyes and had to check the terminal twice and then the receipt to confirm that it was paid. This NFC payment is not trying to replace credit cards, but rather acts as an extension to it. For example, there was one time I was rushing downtown for an interview and I forgot my wallet in my car. After the interview, I was hungry and had no more money in my transit pass. What did I do? Luckily I had my trusty Z10 to save my day. I ordered a sandwich from Tim Hortons and paid with my phone's mobile payments app via NFC. Then I reloaded the balance on my transit pass with my phone again. Saved my **** twice that day. So now I always have NFC on, but just because it is enabled doesnt mean its active. So i don't notice any loss in battery life.
    12-08-13 12:48 AM
    In keeping with the spirit of the season...

"It sees you when you're sleeping, it knows when you're awake..."

Think about this. From Above:
    "Apple to precisely locate shoppers within its stores using iBeacon technology"

Anyone who turns something like this on on their phone has NO right to complain about tracking or phone spying. If you're going to let an entity, in this case a retail store, track you, you're giving up your privacy. It's on and you're fair game.

Sorry, but no thanks.
    12-08-13 05:28 AM
    Don't forget displayport

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 09:50 AM
    so basically its just another extension to wifi?
    iBeacon is simply an implementation of Bluetooth LE (low energy), the latest protocol adopted by the Bluetooth SIG.

I would love to see it used in museums. Wander up to a piece and commentary pops up with associated photos, animations, and suggested similar items/periods/history. Or dinosaurs.

I would never leave the museum.

As for NFC vs BT LE, it will be interesting to see how their fates work out. BT LE is always in a low power state whereas NFC appears to consume more at idle/not in use. NFC, though, is instantaneous whereas BT classic at least has a distinct connection lag time; I don't know if that will hold for BT LE. NFC does have known security issues whereas BT was designed to have a relatively decent amount of security, no doubt in part because it has a much longer range (m vs cm). Consequently, NFC cannot address some applications that BT LE can.

The big thing is that NFC is currently backed by the big payment companies and those guys 1) have clout and 2) don't want to share the bounty. The two techs may well end up sharing space.
    12-08-13 03:54 PM
    In keeping with the spirit of the season...

"It sees you when you're sleeping, it knows when you're awake..."

Think about this. From Above:
    "Apple to precisely locate shoppers within its stores using iBeacon technology"

Anyone who turns something like this on on their phone has NO right to complain about tracking or phone spying. If you're going to let an entity, in this case a retail store, track you, you're giving up your privacy. It's on and you're fair game.

Sorry, but no thanks.
    The store won't really know much more than the info you have given them if you shop online. I know I have looked at stuff online and then decided I wanted to check it out in a B&M store, only to be unable to find it in the store itself. I personally would only do this at a store I shop at a lot, though. So agreed, it is all about personal responsibility. BTW, I hope that means you don't use FB or Google products.

I am much more ticked at the bastards who sell your info to catalogue companies. And credit card companies who snoop my credit history and then bombard me with completely unwanted offers.
    12-08-13 04:00 PM
    Was Firewire the end of USB?
    I've never seen a more perfectly brief shutdown.

That was wonderful.
    12-08-13 05:31 PM
    I'm confused, why are people saying that iBeacon will be the end of NFC? They serve as 2 different things. iBeacon is used to let you navigate around indoors (while allowing the retailers ect. to monitor your every move) NFC allows quick, easy, & secure connections

Posted via CB10
    12-08-13 06:10 PM
    I'm confused, why are people saying that iBeacon will be the end of NFC? They serve as 2 different things. iBeacon is used to let you navigate around indoors (while allowing the retailers ect. to monitor your every move) NFC allows quick, easy, & secure connections

Posted via CB10
    Thought so too.

Also, I think the privacy issue associated with iBeacon may have been blown out of proportion. For me, the retail scenario seems no more invasive than the many security cameras already installed in-store monitoring shoppers. Yet the potential of the indoor positioning capability is far reaching.

Though I cringed at the iBeacon name. And, as others already pointed out iBeacon really just works on BLE. But, marketing is marketing.
    12-08-13 10:15 PM
    NFC is becoming the standard today for making payments and in a number of other industries.

But in industry RFID is still being used predominantly, and while most all credit card machines are now NFC capable... how many people use it?

Now if Apple pushes out an easy to setup and use App, they go thru a big marketing campaign and people start doing it for the "cool" factor. And in conjunction they pay a few big retailers to install the necessary hardware to get things started....

Imagine making a shopping list on your phone for the SUPER CENTER and instead of having to search for everything, your phone leads you to each item using the shortest route.... you get to the register and everything is already scanned and the payment applied. Maybe all you have to do is go through a scanner to have all of the items in your cart processed and removed from the security scanner database at the doors, pick up your receipt and go.

Maybe iBeacon won't be the end of NFC, but I can see RFID, NFC and iBeacon all working together.... except for with iPhones that may never have NFC chips.

As much as we hate waiting in line at the "store", retailers hate having to pay those people to be there. They just have to fine the right technology to make the they "system" work to allow them to get rid of those "checkers" and get people comfortable with it.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-09-13 09:12 AM
105 12345