12-17-13 10:25 PM
105 1234 ...
tools
    Isn't that based on blue tooth ? Every office towers here uses NFC, and most apartment complexe does too. I don't see everyone changing that soon.

Also isn't there a security risk? IBeacon is going to constantly transmit. someone standing close to you enough can pick up that signal and relay it to a station next to the door you want to open and it's done! They have that issue with keyless entry cars... no real way to secure that.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 03:46 PM
    Though, the Lightning connector is leagues better than micro usb. I wish it were adopted by Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    Android = 80% of world phone market give or take. Android = micro USB. Let's stick to the global standard then. Per my previous post, no need to have the VHS vs Betamax debate all over again. Just my opinion but I don't think Google is quite ready to adapt Apple standards in the near future.
    eldricho likes this.
    12-06-13 04:10 PM
    I have long thought that Bluetooth would supplant NFC because of the huge advantage in range for Bluetooth. iBeacons is going to accelerate this process in my opinion. This is another smart decision by Apple, taking an existing technology and implementing it in a way that people find very useful.

I think in the future more and more stores will offer free Wi-Fi, and perhaps the store will develop an application that can be accessed via their Wi-Fi network. The application could provide the same type of functionality as iBeacons. This would also be a more solid technical solution than Bluetooth. In addition to pricing info I would also suggest the app provides the exact location of the products via store map, or taking it a step further and using augmented reality.
    12-06-13 04:11 PM
    if you call Apple ecosystem little what is the size of Blackberry? if you need to refresh your math $150B in cash is more than $2B in cash
    The number of Androids are twice as many as iPhones

To really have a good idevice experience, you need to be in a iworld with only idevices. In our household we do have idevices, but also android and BlackBerry10, and it is a pain in the **** for iusers to do same as we can on bb10 and android. BlackBerry10 is by far the most open system, filled up by support for standards, so if you want to communicate with devices other than your own brand, BlackBerry10 IS the way to go, but most non-ios systems are far better than iOS on that hold.

When it comes to payment terminals, it would make NO sense if they only supported idevices,

But so far, the industry (payment) has yet to agree on a standard to use,.. so for now - they will have to support several, just like most ATMs

So yes- in Apples own little world
    12-06-13 04:27 PM
    Journalism school dropout blogs for a living:

headline: Game over for NFC

Section two paragraph four:
    "That's not to say NFC is completely finished"

I effing hate these early twenty something shallow-as-a-puddle bloggers getting any significant readership. It's a kind of formulaic writing that doesn't actually SAY anything but purports to be the tech world's version of "the day everything changed" or whatever.... only it's every article on every blog-like Website and every few minutes there's another one.

Credibility doesn't matter at all any more... just attracting clicks at this specific moment in time... "blipverts" for the 20teens.
    anon4287986 and clickitykeys like this.
    12-06-13 04:31 PM
    Was Firewire the end of USB?
    poor analogy. The vast majority of computers sold run Windows and do not ship with Firewire.
    12-06-13 05:17 PM
    iBeacon is just basically BluetoothLE. Most moden Android phones support this protocol. iBeacons can become an industry standard and be compatible with millions of Android handsets without any fuss.
    12-06-13 05:19 PM
    Was Firewire the end of USB?
    Was iPhone the end of Blackberry's cosumer aspiration?
    ekv likes this.
    12-06-13 05:33 PM
    "Will iBeacon be the end of NFC?"

Posted via CB Forums iOS app
    12-06-13 05:38 PM
    I have used NFC extensively on my Z10. I have connected with S3s, Note 3s, and many other devices. In fact I use it do frequently I don't bother turning it off. Best way to share contacts and files. My battery lasts me 15-20 hours. I'm not a heavy user. I keep a spare with me just in case.
    12-06-13 06:13 PM
    Ibeacon is total garbage. Bad enough a non jail broken phone has crap iAds.

NFC is finished because apple still doesn't support it. Um ok. Get with the times... Going to be a flop IMHO
    12-06-13 06:51 PM
    if you call Apple ecosystem little what is the size of Blackberry? if you need to refresh your math $150B in cash is more than $2B in cash
    .....and that is relevant to this thread how?
    app_Developer likes this.
    12-06-13 07:03 PM
    iBeacon is just basically BluetoothLE. Most moden Android phones support this protocol. iBeacons can become an industry standard and be compatible with millions of Android handsets without any fuss.
    BB10 also supports Bluetooth 4.0, aka Bluetooth LE.

As I understand it, iBeacon is just a "profile" on top of the LE spec, and it's already been reverse-engineered. The only advantage Apple devices have at the moment is that iOS 7 provides support, so there's no need to have an app open to get iBeacon signals. But that's easy enough for Google or Blackberry to implement if they want.

Edit: strange, that first link is not going to the correct thread in Tapatalk. This is the correct URL: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...herals-847389/
    Last edited by chtang; 12-06-13 at 08:35 PM.
    RyanGermann likes this.
    12-06-13 07:13 PM
    does the idea of ibeacon creep anybody else out...just the fact that they can track me around the store even to the aisle I'm in...it kinda gives me the creeps

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    BBPandy and anon4287986 like this.
    12-06-13 09:42 PM
    Actually, BLE works much better in BB10 than in ANY android phone right now.
    You can download an app here to test with any FindMe/Proximity device like wallet TrackR or Tile or StickNfind etc. Read here OR here for more samples of BB10 BLE code.

Even with Kitkat 4.4 on Nexus 7 or Nexus 5, there are strange issues like being disconnected randomly w/o notification (which defeats the whole purpose of findme devices like TrackR, sticknfind, Tile etc. I researched a lot before buying a TrackR and all forums & app reviews are full of problems.

Even on iOS, it is only iphone 5S which is working as required, not the earlier models.

That said, there are a huge number of new application use cases for BLE and it should stabilize in the next 1 year with almost all android devices (or any other devices) coming with BLE simply because all BT chips will come with dual mode so if the phone has BT then it will mostly have BLE too.

But the advantage of a good range also makes it completely unsuitable for applications like swiping for attendance or opening doors etc. because you can't filter out RSSI values to that accuracy that only the 1st guys BLE card will open the door - it'll be reading at least 3-4 feet. If you remove the antenna to reduce range then it becomes useless for anything else.

The compromise we have reached for a certain project is to just put in a NFC sticker inside the BLE device and use the NFC ID for contact uses while BLE is used for tracking the user/asset over 10-20 m (it doesn't really work beyond that range with any reliability right now).

The key advantage of BLE which no other device or hardware had till now is that you get a 10-20m range wireless device which is extremely small AND you can put in 1 or 2 coin batteries and it will last for a year or two. So it becomes a install & forget type of device.
    Otherwise, a lot of devices can have similar functions - they just need to be charged every few days or every week.

Also the manufacturers TI & Nordic are putting in a lot of profiles for varied end uses (heart rate, cycle cadence, findme, immediate alert, proximity etc etc and more coming up every month) so that developing new tiny devices is easier.
    app_Developer and chtang like this.
    12-06-13 11:06 PM
    Ibeacon is total garbage. Bad enough a non jail broken phone has crap iAds.

NFC is finished because apple still doesn't support it. Um ok. Get with the times... Going to be a flop IMHO
    you use NFC much more often than you think. It's far from finished. Think of office towers that are unlocked with contact cards. Schools, bus passes, appartement buildings.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 11:43 PM
    does the idea of ibeacon creep anybody else out...just the fact that they can track me around the store even to the aisle I'm in...it kinda gives me the creeps

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    Well, like everything else on an iPhone that people claim to be "creeped-out" by, I imagine you can toggle a switch and turn it off.

People,...if you're afraid of the dark, turn on the lights.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    12-07-13 03:09 AM
    you use NFC much more often than you think. It's far from finished. Think of office towers that are unlocked with contact cards. Schools, bus passes, appartement buildings.

Posted via CB10
    No one uses NFC (FROM THEIR PHONE) in the US. Which, like it or not, is still the biggest and the most affluent technology market in the world. This will amount to more transactions (and higher dollar amounts per transaction) in a month, just in Apple stores, than NFC has in all of North America throughout it's entire history. If jelly-bean and kit-kat can do it too, then yeah; NFC on this continent has just been smothered in its crib.

12-07-13 03:17 AM
    Nope I don't think so for the simple reason that Android handsets far outsell the iPhone.
    12-07-13 04:16 AM
    <lol>no</lol>

Posted via CB10
    12-07-13 04:33 AM
    Ibeacon huh? Anytime I see something with the "i" in it, it already seems cheesy.

Z10
    12-07-13 04:36 AM
    Too many business are using nfc card to enter private area of their office. Same with college/labs. I don't see all of them switching to iphone. Nfc is here to stay, it,s been here for too long to be killed by a spying thing.
    12-07-13 05:22 AM
    I'm tired of this I crap. As much as I love Apple, they have become pathetic with branding everything with I. It's as if they run out imagination. It was great years ago but it's pathetic now.
    12-07-13 05:43 AM
    I'm tired of this I crap. As much as I love Apple, they have become pathetic with branding everything with I. It's as if they run out imagination. It was great years ago but it's pathetic now.
    Agree. Look at all the company's using it too. Ihome, iface, ifixit. To many.

Z10
    12-07-13 06:30 AM
    No one uses NFC (FROM THEIR PHONE) in the US. Which, like it or not, is still the biggest and the most affluent technology market in the world. This will amount to more transactions (and higher dollar amounts per transaction) in a month, just in Apple stores, than NFC has in all of North America throughout it's entire history. If jelly-bean and kit-kat can do it too, then yeah; NFC on this continent has just been smothered in its crib.

I am just saying that I don't see millions of NFC readers being replaced by blutooth, do you ?

Also, i'm in Canada, NFC payment is really picking up here. 90% of payment terminals uses NFC (I tap my credit card all the time) , bus passes are NFC, self serve bike rentals are NFC... the only thing is making phones compatible with it.. and it's on the way!

Posted via CB10
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    12-07-13 07:13 AM
105 1234 ...