12-17-13 10:25 PM
105 123 ...
tools
    NewsBlogsIn Depth
    Game over for NFC as Apple iBeacons hit world's busiest retail stores | Computerworld Blogs

Jonny Evans
    Apple Holic
    Game over for NFC as Apple iBeacons hit world's busiest retail stores
    By Jonny Evans
    December 06, 2013 9:24 AM EST
    NFC is finished. It was a dream that failed. Any hope its champions may once have held ended today when Apple switched on iBeacons solutions across its insanely busy US retail stores.

Big dreams, big stores

These are among the most profitable stores in the world with over 400 million visitors each year:

"We welcomed almost 400 million visitors to our retail stores and opened or remodeled 49 new stores and for the second year in a row we produced over $50 million in revenue per store," said CEO, Tim Cook, during the recent financial announcement.

400 million people is a lot of mind-share meaning Apple has a chance to persuade millions to use this kind of technology.

How it works:

When you walk into a store you can choose to receive notifications (messages and discount offers). You can do things like:
    Collect online orders
    See what's happening in-store
    Read product reviews and buy accessories
    In future it seems likely you'll be able to do other things, such as

Check stock availability
    Purchase goods for collection after visiting the store
    Receive notifications of products and offers that match your purchasing taste
    And pay for stuff.
    This isn't just about sales, of course. Apple said iBeacon provides apps with "a whole new level of micro-location awareness, such as trail markers in a park, exhibits in a museum, or product displays in stores." You'll see solutions implementing this in museums, at festivals, in bars.

Trust counts

There's also an advantage in that iBeacons comes from a brand people already trust, rather than some weirdly-named marketing firm. That's a big advantage as so many surveys suggest NFC hasn't achieved trust or traction with most consumers.

That's not to say NFC is completely finished, just that Apple's alternate universe now offers a more effective solution -- even for payments. In time, it's logical to expect iBeacons will support payments as Touch ID and iCloud Keychain become ever more robust.

Apple hasn't had to reinvent the wheel when it comes to payment processing technology: You'll pay for things using your existing payment/credit cards, but through an Apple device, like making an iTunes purchase. You can already purchase accessories using iBeacons in Apple retail stores.

iBeacons' big advantage over NFC is its longer range and relative affordability. As Apple makes iBeacon masts available to retailers, it's a no-brainer other big brands will implement support within their existing (and already profitable) branded apps and stores. This will enable them to market goods and services in a consensual way to customers. MLB has already announced it will use iBeacons to help sports fans attending the game.

Customers who count

It's also worth considering the demographics of Apple's customers, who tend to be more affluent. Now, I may abhor the implied class/economic bias of this, but what it means to marketing types is pure honey: Apple seems set to offer a cheap-to-deploy and effective sales, payments and marketing system that aims straight for the most valuable audience retailers want to speak with: people with money.

With this in mind it's nothing but logical to imagine iBeacons tech rapidly being put into place at retailers worldwide.

The only people who'll suffer as this happens are those who have pinned their hopes on NFC. That technology may be available and already widely deployed, but most people don't, or won't, use it.

Apple's move to deploy these solutions on the high street means NFC has been beaten at its own game.
    russworman likes this.
    12-06-13 12:08 PM
    Was Firewire the end of USB?
    12-06-13 12:12 PM
    Don't trust iphones security in the first place so wouldn't pay anything with it for sure.

I trust BlackBerry security and nfc is the way to be. Like the other said, firewire didn't replace usb.

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    beamolite and Stewartj1 like this.
    12-06-13 12:16 PM
    No

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 12:30 PM
    I wish there were more uses for nfc that were implemented.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 12:33 PM
    [QUOTE=pbeasley;9665322]NewsBlogsIn Depth
    Game over for NFC as Apple iBeacons hit world's busiest retail stores | Computerworld Blogs

Jonny Evans
    Apple Holic
    Game over for NFC as Apple iBeacons hit world's busiest retail stores
    By Jonny Evans
    December 06, 2013 9:24 AM EST
    NFC is finished. It was a dream that failed.� Any hope its champions may once have held ended today when Apple switched on iBeacons solutions across its insanely busy US retail stores.

Three things in this post are worth further investigation:
    1. It appears that, currently, iBeacon exists only in Apple stores, which is a limited space. How fast it migrates out of the Apple stores is a completely different question. It would require hardware, software, and manpower training costs at any other retailer that chooses to install it. What is that cost?
    2. There are a lot more people with Android phones than with iPhones. NFC has yet to be fully exploited in the retail environment, and the technology is very straight forward. NFC has been in use for 30 years I know of. All that's needed is the software installation at the retailer's end to support NFC payments along with a secure credit card wallet available on the phones that have NFC capacity (HELLO, BLACKBERRY!) And with barcode scanners present at every retailer, a payment method using a credit card securely stored on your phone and displaying a barcode, payments are really simple.
    3. With the security issues of iPhones, which are easily hi-jacked by MITM attack, the iBeacon seems to be a potential magnet for hackers and thieves. Scanned barcodes don't possess this vulnerability.

Just something to think about.
    12-06-13 12:58 PM
    No Apple-only products will ever replace industry standards... Apple just continue to make their own "standards" that works inside their own little world... Let them play with themselves...
    KoreyTM, Enzetsu, bbhuh and 2 others like this.
    12-06-13 12:59 PM
    All I see in you post is;

<br>
    <html>
    Etc.

Verizon Z10 10.2.1.1055
    12-06-13 02:12 PM
    Lightning cable didn't kill usb

I don't see iBeacon coming to other devices and expect it will be mostly big in the US. NFC is pretty widespread across the OS'es and I enjoy using it with my Android friends.

Posted via CB10
    dracolnyte likes this.
    12-06-13 02:38 PM
    80% of the phones in the world are non-Apple. The only market where this might gain some widespread traction is the USA, which today is an increasingly smaller part of the global market.

Uphill battle for Apple...
    dracolnyte likes this.
    12-06-13 02:48 PM
    BAHAHAHA.
    Was this actually supposed to be a real question?
    12-06-13 02:49 PM
    It'll have an impact I think.

What Apple is doing that is helpful to its cause actually is enabling this by providing hardware to retailers (if I understand the article correctly). Show already has numbers on its side, so there is not a lot of barriers to adoption.

I think Google has been overly tentative with Wallet, so we'll see. Hopefully, a competing universal standard can be established. So far, NFC had been underutilized IMHO.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    12-06-13 02:55 PM
    Comparing Firewire which was only used on Mac computers which had a tiny marketshare.

To iBeacon and the marketshare that Apple has in smartphones AND tablets.... who knows.

I haven't used NFC in my Z10 for anything - tried sending a picture to a friends Note3, but I guess they aren't compatible. Purchases.... just don't see an advantage in pulling out my phone and turning NFC on when a CC is so easy (you don't think I'm going to leave NFC on all the time with the Z10 battery life do you?) But I know that most retailers are set up for NFC now, changing would be expensive. Of course Apple owners are a commodity that some retailers would be happy to make changes for.
    Midnight Barbecue likes this.
    12-06-13 02:55 PM
    So... another competitor enters the race and somehow it has already won.

How someone can so assertively arrive at such a conclusion and publish it for the world to see is baffling. Unless of course it's coming directly from Apple's Marketing department.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 03:02 PM
    The VHS vs Betamax debate.
    12-06-13 03:03 PM
    Comparing Firewire which was only used on Mac computers which had a tiny marketshare.

To iBeacon and the marketshare that Apple has in smartphones AND tablets.... who knows.

I haven't used NFC in my Z10 for anything - tried sending a picture to a friends Note3, but I guess they aren't compatible. Purchases.... just don't see an advantage in pulling out my phone and turning NFC on when a CC is so easy (you don't think I'm going to leave NFC on all the time with the Z10 battery life do you?) But I know that most retailers are set up for NFC now, changing would be expensive. Of course Apple owners are a commodity that some retailers would be happy to make changes for.
    Tell them to turn of S-beam and only leave NFC itself on. Should work after that. Has worked for me with the One, S3, S4, Note 2 and some more that way.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 03:03 PM
    80% of the phones in the world are non-Apple. The only market where this might gain some widespread traction is the USA, which today is an increasingly smaller part of the global market.

If you ask most retailers in whatever market... that 20% is probably more valuable to them than the other 80%. All it takes for Apple to make deals with a few key retailers, and everyone else would jump on the bandwagon in an attempt to keep their competitors from cornering that market.

And if Apple implements the apps for controlling these purchases better, and makes it simple to use....

I can see the potential... just like BBM and Channels has an uphill battle, but there is potential.
    12-06-13 03:07 PM
    I think NFC will have to be the standard for payments simply because there are millions of NFC capable POS's already installed all around the world.
    anon(5624621) likes this.
    12-06-13 03:08 PM
    Let us hope not.
    12-06-13 03:18 PM
    No Apple-only products will ever replace industry standards... Apple just continue to make their own "standards" that works inside their own little world... Let them play with themselves...
    if you call Apple ecosystem little what is the size of Blackberry? if you need to refresh your math $150B in cash is more than $2B in cash
    12-06-13 03:26 PM

It might be a smaller part as you call it but it is still the most important and sophisticated market and still the one that Blackberry will never succeed in
    12-06-13 03:29 PM
    Was Firewire the end of USB?
    bad comparison
    12-06-13 03:36 PM
    if you call Apple ecosystem little what is the size of Blackberry? if you need to refresh your math $150B in cash is more than $2B in cash
    (facepalm)

12-06-13 03:43 PM
    It might be a smaller part as you call it but it is still the most important and sophisticated market and still the one that Blackberry will never succeed in
    (facepalm)

12-06-13 03:43 PM
    Lightning cable didn't kill usb

I don't see iBeacon coming to other devices and expect it will be mostly big in the US. NFC is pretty widespread across the OS'es and I enjoy using it with my Android friends.

Posted via CB10
    Though, the Lightning connector is leagues better than micro usb. I wish it were adopted by Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 03:45 PM
105 123 ...