03-18-15 07:17 PM
147 ... 23456
tools
    To sum it up, Blackberry should really wrap its (and QNX's) branding and skin on to the car UIs whenever possible. It is an important step to ensure that consumers know that their car is in safe hands and designed by forward-thinking people.
    12-23-13 02:56 AM
    I hope auto makers realize that people like me will never buy a car with Apple in it.

I also bought my last ford unless they ditch Microsoft sync.

Posted via CB10
    CDM76 likes this.
    12-23-13 06:41 AM
    I hope auto makers realize that people like me will never buy a car with Apple in it.
    I doubt it has ever come up. They are thinking of all of those people who buy iPhones and iPads.
    schmeat likes this.
    12-23-13 07:13 AM
    How about bbry just get on and launch some great products? I'm just sick of years of talking big and delivering zilch. Time to put up or shut up...
    QNX has been delivering. Many prototyped features are making their way into cars.

What I'm actually curious about is whether automakers want to maintain their own user interface or get someone like QNX or BBRY to build something for them. Also, it will be interesting to see how carriers deal with another connected device (ie. Your car).

Also, the sharing of data between devices becomes even more important. I wonder if we'll see a head unit that supports Miracast.

I dread another device with another set of data and apps and everything else. Let's really be about connected devices.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 07:16 AM
    Apple doesn't even have NFC. Apple makes the most outdated phones and has the most over priced and over rated products. People are waking up to the Apple fraud.

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 07:21 AM
    Apple doesn't even have NFC. Apple makes the most outdated phones and has the most over priced and over rated products. People are waking up to the Apple fraud.

Posted via CB10
    Is that why their last 2 phones broke Apple's sales records? People on this forum are so delusional. They would've been a great C-level employee at RIM.
    anon1727506 and Savior4Life like this.
    12-23-13 08:01 AM
    What I'm actually curious about is whether automakers want to maintain their own user interface or get someone like QNX or BBRY to build something for them.

I dread another device with another set of data and apps and everything else. Let's really be about connected devices.
    That's what they do currently. QNX modifies the interface for the car company.

QNX already runs Android apps. So, it is all a matter of is the screen in the car for the app is a standard resolution or if the Infotainment system modifies it to fit the screen. I would prefer option 2, but just use black bars to adjust the screen size instead of stretching. That way cars can have unique looks with their Infotainment systems and developers don't have the headache of developing for odd dimension screens.
    12-23-13 08:57 AM

Posted via CB10

Seriously dude, and you KNOW I'm a BB lover, but come on, even you don't really believe that!
    avt123 likes this.
    12-23-13 10:14 AM
    It doesn't appear so:
    Forbes: Apple Can Ignore Android Market Share Stats All The Way To The Bank
    ValueWalk: Apple Inc. Hoards The Money, Android Hoards The Market Share
    Forbes: Apple's iPhone 5s #1 Worldwide Smartphone And Quadruples Chinese Share
    Looks like it might even get worst:
    Engadget: iPhone 5s and 5c to reach China Mobile on January 17th, 2014
    (Side note: China mobile already has 42 million iPhone clients using iPhones on their network unofficially:
    9to5mac from this source: SinaTech)
    Insight on marketshare:
    Why an 80% market share might only represent half of smartphone users

Poor Apple. They're doomed.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12-23-13 at 10:32 AM.
    avt123 likes this.
    12-23-13 10:19 AM
    The in-car UX is minefield of liability. The first thing that people want to know when there is an accident is whether the person was drinking or texting. I'm pretty sure the only thing that Apple is going to want to be involved in is integration of voice, multimedia, and nav with iPhones. I don't think they are going to want people running a bunch of apps on their dash devices.
    12-23-13 10:23 AM
    QNX has been delivering. Many prototyped features are making their way into cars.

What I'm actually curious about is whether automakers want to maintain their own user interface or get someone like QNX or BBRY to build something for them. Also, it will be interesting to see how carriers deal with another connected device (ie. Your car).

Also, the sharing of data between devices becomes even more important. I wonder if we'll see a head unit that supports Miracast.

Posted via CB10
    Good point.
    What would be best for the consumer is if when ordering a car they can pick which OS interface they want on the head unit.
    Or the ability to change the interface at the dealer or third party authorized vendor when buying a used car.
    When spending large sums on a car, no one should be locked into an interface they don't want or can't use.
    It should be agnostic.
    12-23-13 10:37 AM
    When spending large sums on a car, no one should be locked into an interface they don't want or can't use.
    It should be agnostic.
    Nice sentiment but most carmakers charge a couple hundred dollars just for the map DVD in your factor navigation system so I don't think they are going to open up vehicle info systems in any way. They also have a lot of liability for whatever shows up on these systems that distracts drivers.
    12-23-13 10:59 AM
    You do realize that Apple needs QNX to run in the cars right? QNX is the OS, what apple is doing is running their own theme on top of the car's infotainment OS

Apple knows that for most people it's the perception, not the truth that's important.

Posted via CB10

So are you saying that MS sync (ford sync, or whatever it's all called) is using QNX at its core also? Sync supports iOS which would mean apple needs "something" to run. Not necessarily QNX.

That "something" could just as easily be something that apple design and build, right? And knowing Apple they're far more likely to do that than use somebody else's underlying technology if they possibly can.

Twitter: xandermac
    12-23-13 03:07 PM
    So are you saying that MS sync (ford sync, or whatever it's all called) is using QNX at its core also? Sync supports iOS which would mean apple needs "something" to run. Not necessarily QNX.

That "something" could just as easily be something that apple design and build, right? And knowing Apple they're far more likely to do that than use somebody else's underlying technology if they possibly can.

Twitter: xandermac
    Ford Sync uses Embedded Windows not QNX

Posted via CB10
    12-23-13 09:04 PM

I also bought my last ford unless they ditch Microsoft sync.

Posted via CB10
    I don't wish to offend you, so do not take this personally.

There is really not enough of you for any car manufacturer to care.
    xandermac and ccbs like this.
    12-23-13 10:18 PM
    People make the mistake of thinking that iphone integration will equal car sales...
    With bluetooth available more and more the need for propietary connections will be rendered pointless.

Besides most of those iphone users got them through subsidy.
    There will be no subsidy fpr these cars lol.
    This will be a level playing field imo.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 10:50 PM
    Is that why their last 2 phones broke Apple's sales records? People on this forum are so delusional. They would've been a great C-level employee at RIM.
    Sorry I don't mean to burst your bubble but I am not a BlackBerry employees nor do I have a BlackBerry. I have a SG4 and without a doubt iphone5 is old and outdated to EVERY SINGLE phone and OS. The only people who are delusional and out of touch are iPhone users with their tiny outdated LMAO 4 inch screen which doesn't even have NFC. The fact is users are waking up to the Apple fraud as one would have to be very weak minded to buy an apple product.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 12:19 AM
    LMFAO. Just because you provided Apple paid for propaganda links to made up article doesn't make it fact. The weak minded will believe everything they read.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybrad...y-to-the-bank/

The title of this article screams propaganda. So apple can continue to lose market share all the way toward zero and laugh to the bank? Makes sense..lol. Hitler propagandist always said it is better to tell a big lie then a small one. This tactic is being used everyday and that article is a perfect example.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 12:40 AM
    Consumers will most definitely be drawn to car systems that integrate with their smartphones. Just look at premium headphones that come with iPhone controls.

It's a selling point that is worth featuring for iPhone users and not worth mentioning for Blackberry users especially if it requires BB10 which most Blackberry owners don't even use so you would risk pissing off more people than could use the feature.
    12-27-13 01:56 AM
    LMFAO. Just because you provided Apple paid for propaganda links to made up article doesn't make it fact. The weak minded will believe everything they read.
    Apple Can Ignore Android Market Share Stats All The Way To The Bank - Forbes

The title of this article screams propaganda. So apple can continue to lose market share all the way toward zero and laugh to the bank? Makes sense..lol. Hitler propagandist always said it is better to tell a big lie then a small one. This tactic is being used everyday and that article is a perfect example.
    When a poster starts of with LMFAO it can usually be guaranteed that the rest of the post is BS.
    Thanks for adding to that statistic.

You provide nothing except what's on your mind, which only you can verify.

Apparently you believe something else. Unfortunately thin air is available to everyone and not a source of information.

Provide an alternative verifiable source that disputes the links or remove the tinfoil.

Your choice.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12-27-13 at 05:00 AM.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-27-13 02:15 AM
    Sorry I don't mean to burst your bubble but I am not a BlackBerry employees nor do I have a BlackBerry. I have a SG4 and without a doubt iphone5 is old and outdated to EVERY SINGLE phone and OS. The only people who are delusional and out of touch are iPhone users with their tiny outdated LMAO 4 inch screen which doesn't even have NFC. The fact is users are waking up to the Apple fraud as one would have to be very weak minded to buy an apple product.
    Then you're lost.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12-27-13 at 07:31 AM.
    12-27-13 07:12 AM

Posted via CB10
    Wife wanted a tablet.... so I was weak and bought her an iPad. First time that I really spent a few days with an Apple product. Have to say I HATE the limits that are placed on memory on the Apple products. But from that point on, I have to say the user experience far exceeded anything that I have experienced with the PlayBook or my Z10.

And based on a family get together we just had of about thirty people.... Apple isn't fading away in to the sunset anytime soon. Other than my Z10 there were ZERO BlackBerry's other than mine, most were Andriod with Apple not far behind. Still a lot of dumb phones, so still a lot of room for growth.... if these people ever decide they want to pay for or learn how to use a smartphone.

But several of the Android users had been Apple users before, and were planning to return on their next upgrade. Only one Apple user was planning on going to a NOTE.... but if Apple had a Super Sized Phone he would stay also. With most everyone it was about the overall EXPERIENCE, and not the device!

Granted this is a very small group in one corner of the US and not a true sample of the world wide market. But I think Apple is going to be OK....

There were 33,800,000 total iPhones sold in Apple's last quarter. That’s an average of
    375,555 a day
    15,648 an hour
    261 a minute
    4 a second

Which is more than they sold the last quarter, or the one before that, or the one before that.
    techvisor likes this.
    12-27-13 08:17 AM

Posted via CB10
    They might not have NFC but they have iBeacon. NFC may not be around any longer.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 12:25 PM
    They prob won't beat them to it just like they didn't beat them to the smart phone market but they will most likely IMO out do them.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 03:04 PM
    They might not have NFC but they have iBeacon. NFC may not be around any longer.

Posted via CB10
    Different ranges for those protocols mean different implementations and use cases.

Posted via CB10. Join C001A8DC6 for bento-inspired lunch ideas
    12-27-13 05:43 PM
147 ... 23456