01-14-15 09:02 PM
31 12
tools
    I don't know why people keep thinking that if Samsung bought BlackBerry that they would ditch BB10.

Why would they?

a) It provides the secure backbone they want for Enterprise
    b) It works well with BES12 (which they would also own)
    c) It can support Android apps (which they have developers for)
    d) It is a major mobile OS (iOS, Android, Windows Phone & BB10) that they would be their's. They wouldn't have to worry about Google cutting them off via Google services.

In fact, I could see an influx of software engineers which would greatly help BlackBerry produce a better OS.
    Imagine what BlackBerry can be with the engineer and marketing resources of Samsung? Even Apple uses Samsung.
    01-14-15 03:47 PM
    I don't know why people keep thinking that if Samsung bought BlackBerry that they would ditch BB10.

Why would they?

a) It provides the secure backbone they want for Enterprise
    b) It works well with BES12 (which they would also own)
    c) It can support Android apps (which they have developers for)
    d) It is a major mobile OS (iOS, Android, Windows Phone & BB10) that they would be their's. They wouldn't have to worry about Google cutting them off via Google services.

In fact, I could see an influx of software engineers which would greatly help BlackBerry produce a better OS.
    Imagine what BlackBerry can be with the engineer and marketing resources of Samsung? Even Apple uses Samsung.
    They already have an OS or two. Keeping OHA Android would require at least stripping out the Android runtime from BB10.

Anyway, a play by play:

a) On a fundamental step up from Knox, yeah.
    b) Not just BB10, though.
    c) See preamble
    d) [citation needed], sadly.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    01-14-15 03:50 PM
    I think it's totally up in the air.

Samsung has shown interest in decreasing their dependence on Android, by trying to work on Tizen phones. But if you think BB10 has it rough in terms of userbase and developer support, Tizen is 100x worse. It could be that it's worth Samsung's investment to pour some money into BB10 and make it a true competitor. Even if they were forced to strip the Android runtime out, it'd still be lightyears ahead of Tizen.

On the other hand, it could just be all about patents. I don't know.
    01-14-15 03:51 PM
    The biggest reason I see is that BB10 violates OHA rules, which would force Samsung to abandon/change BB10 or remove Google Play from Samsung smartphones.

The other major reason is that BB10 simply isn't profitable to maintain because there does not appear to be much demand for this operating system among not only consumers but enterprise and government as well.

It's not entirely clear even why BBRY maintains BB10 at this point given its dependency on the Android ecosystem. Most likely to save face, because BBRY does not have the funds to develop an Android fork, or because of plans unknown to the public.

BB10 also happens to be a rather difficult OS to scale with very high minimum RAM requirements. This contrasts with Tizen, which Samsung intends to use on smart devices, and limits BB10's usefulness if Samsung were to choose between the two OSes.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 01-14-15 at 04:04 PM.
    Witmen likes this.
    01-14-15 03:54 PM
    Because of C).
    Does Passport 2 with no Android app compatibility sound good to you?
    01-14-15 03:56 PM
    Why strip the Android run time out but instead go all in with BB10? Android will buy them time (until Google totally move everything to Google Play) while BB10 will allow them to move forward (push for BB10 native) as well as "some" Android support.

I believe if Samsung buys BlackBerry, they will be moving away from Android.
    01-14-15 03:59 PM
    I think they would keep BB10. It's a secure platform. It would be their business platform.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 04:01 PM
    Because of C).
    Does Passport 2 with no Android app compatibility sound good to you?
    Does/can Tizen run android apps?

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 04:03 PM
    Looking at it dispassionately, I am less enthralled.

Samsung won't leave Android any time soon. Really, that's all one needs to know. Samsung needs Android more than Android needs it.
    01-14-15 04:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    Sorta.
    Why strip the Android run time out but instead go all in with BB10? Android will buy them time (until Google totally move everything to Google Play) while BB10 will allow them to move forward (push for BB10 native) as well as "some" Android support.

The OS doesn't matter... it's all about he PLATFORM.

BB10 doesn't have one....
    Tre Lawrence likes this.

Yes. Samsung is about to take a hit for Android licenses. They (Samsung) are keeping their fingers in a couple of pies.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 04:05 PM

Posted via CB10
    Some, via ACL.
    01-14-15 04:06 PM
    The OS doesn't matter... it's all about he PLATFORM.

BB10 doesn't have one....
    This!!!
    01-14-15 04:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    You can make it run android apps but not out of the box. You have to DL an app from the Tizen app store once installed with all the components you can use apks. Think of it as installing a runtime.
    01-14-15 04:08 PM
    Samsung may not be interested in the device arm of BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 04:09 PM
    You can make it run android apps but not out of the box. You have to DL an app from the Tizen app store once installed with all the components you can use apks. Think of it as installing a runtime.
    If Samsung can do this with Tizen, wouldn't it be the same as BlackBerry with their Android runtime?
    01-14-15 04:11 PM
    If Samsung can do this with Tizen, wouldn't it be the same as BlackBerry with their Android runtime?
    Its not part of the stock phone. If the BB10 runtime could be installed via BBWorld then it would be the same. The difference is the user is doing it not the OEM.
    01-14-15 04:12 PM
    Why wouldn't they? They've got hundreds of millions sunk into Android development, and getting the app situation on BlackBerry improved would cost many millions more.

There is no business case that can be made for switching to BB10, because of what it does to existing Samsung customers. Using both OSes is similarly misguided.

They're after BlackBerry for their security and parents.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 04:14 PM
    Why wouldn't they? They've got hundreds of millions sunk into Android development, and getting the app situation on BlackBerry improved would cost many millions more.

There is no business case that can be made for switching to BB10, because of what it does to existing Samsung customers. Using both OSes is similarly misguided.

They're after BlackBerry for their security and parents.

Posted via CB10
    Are you implying that theyre completely going to throw out Qnx from devices? I really find that hard to believe

Z30 | 10.3.1.1949
    01-14-15 04:28 PM
    No. It's a bit different. As I understand it, Tizen doesn't come with the runtime bundled.
    01-14-15 04:29 PM
    Are you implying that theyre completely going to throw out Qnx from devices? I really find that hard to believe

Z30 | 10.3.1.1949
    OHA.
    01-14-15 04:29 PM

Z30 | 10.3.1.1949
    Believe it.

QNX in embedded systems would remain, for obvious reasons.

BB10 is on a few tens of millions of devices. Samsung's Android variants are on a few hundred million. Why would you push Android aside for BB10?

But, for reasons I've explained in the other thread, we don't have to have this discussion because it simply won't happen.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-15 04:32 PM
    Believe it.

QNX in embedded systems would remain, for obvious reasons.

BB10 is on a few tens of millions of devices. Samsung's Android variants are on a few hundred million. Why would you push Android aside for BB10?

But, for reasons I've explained in the other thread, we don't have to have this discussion because it simply won't happen.

Posted via CB10
    So in hypothetical terms explain to me how it would work. They would just leave Qnx be and do nothing with it? Or sell?

Z30 | 10.3.1.1949
    01-14-15 05:53 PM
    Okay, Blackberry denied the rumors. let's stop CLUBBING a dead horse.

Please join this earlier discussion: Breaking now - Samsung approached BlackBerry on takeover offer! Stock up over 20%. Enjoy!

CLOSED
    01-14-15 05:55 PM
31 12