10-18-11 08:40 AM
42 12
tools
    you are completely missing the point.

there is nothing "flagship" about the 9930 from the view of the general consumer market...its a **-hum device that is unexciting at best.. and it is THAT market that drives company performance... small screen and not even a hotspot feature?..

the playbook has not sold because the consuming public saw it for what it was... an overpriced, small, underfeatured, unfinished tablet with no apps.... I wouldnt blame marketing for that.... with o.s. 2.0, a $299-$349 price tag and access to android apps then mebbe it has a chance.

QNX schmooNX.. i say.. There is no "if I build it they will come" in cell phones.... technical merit is irrelevant for the consumer market in the face of zero content..

So go ahead, rag on this post all you like... but data talks, bollshot walks.. and the data shows i am right.

RIM has a flagship product in the Bold 9900 / 9930 smartphone!! ... for the professional and business person or leader .. this is a very compelling phone! ... and IMO it is Best in Class!!

However, for the average consumer, there is a lacking "world class" product offering from RIM ATM ... Hopefully the QNX superphone, which also would deliver a world class camera, a comprehensive app environment and ecosystem, will gain back that segment of the market that has gone to Andriod or Apple ... this is key!

Playbook is a very good product that has a bad rap and poor marketing and lacked some key features out of the box ...
    That needs to be addressed ASAP! ...

Hopefully Playbook 2.0 will be a good start in addressing the deficiencies ... with much more to follow on and build on, coupled with a bold marketing campaign!

Quality software must be released with fewer bugs ...to instill confidence in what was once an amazing brand ... the RIM Brand ...

execution is key ... promise then Deliver!!! ... no delays!! ... and with the highest quality!! ... speed to market is key!!! ... whatever it takes ... overtime .. get it out!!!

... just my thoughts

... a former CEO and Founder of a prominent software company ... and Waterloo CS grad.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    10-16-11 10:33 AM
    I want a full screen LTE device that is not android or Microsoft. What is left?
    This "what is left" question is my frustration and points to a hole in the market that no one seems to fill...

With all of the "superphones" out there, no one has looked at the basic, key, usability features that the users of each platform love and attempted to combine them in one platform.

Take things like
    • BBOS's notification profiles system (& LED), an improved version of BIS/BES (sans truncation!), and BBM
    • Apples relative ease of app development, ease of use, graphics, and multimedia capabilities
    • Androids GUI flexibility (within limits but not as limited as Apple), flash browsing, and upper end device hardware specs

and you might just have something that would take you to the top - all things that already exist, just scattered across multiple platforms.

But, alas, we seem to be stuck picking the lesser of evils.

Will BBX be able to bridge these gaps? If they are smart, that should be the goal. And it should start with at least an on-par-with-the-market feature set and device(s) announced this week.
    Last edited by TBacker; 10-16-11 at 12:20 PM.
    10-16-11 12:17 PM
    Talk is cheap. RIM doesnt so much need to explain what they're gonna do they just need to do it. It doesn't appear as they have a clue as what to do
    10-16-11 12:29 PM
    Talk is cheap. RIM doesnt so much need to explain what they're gonna do they just need to do it. It doesn't appear as they have a clue as what to do
    Talk maybe cheap but if they can't articulate it then they can't execute it either so they do need to explain what they are going to do and then do it.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    10-16-11 01:27 PM
    QNX schmooNX.. i say.. There is no "if I build it they will come" in cell phones.... technical merit is irrelevant for the consumer market in the face of zero content..

I strongly agree with this point. I still believe that OS has little to do with consumer choice outside our small techie circles. The majority of the buying public won't care about the technical differences between QNX, Android, iOS or Symbian.

That is something that the rabid supporters of each platform fail to understand.

I think the average consumer wants a device that is able to make his or her life better: more productive in every aspect. The platforms that have paid attention to this have done better. Content and ease of use seems to be the winning combination.

So, despite the fact that QNX runs space stations or nuclear plants, in and of itself, it will mean little to the average consumer. And, unfortunately, those are the people who really count when it comes to RIM's future.
    rleo25, newcollector and Mystic205 like this.
    10-16-11 05:40 PM
    People seem to forget that if you set your Android phone to check emails every five minutes (that's pretty long lag for business), then the battery is dead in three hours. You can't even make it through a management meeting in three hours.
    Ummm..what? I'm not sure if this is a joke..or if you're serious. 5 minute polling? 3 hour battery life? Android does push email..and I think the worst models still get 8 hrs of battery life..with most getting average 12-16.
    10-16-11 06:10 PM
    10-16-11 09:23 PM
    RIM needs to hit one out of the park with Tablet OS 2.0, or next spring is meaningless. People - especially developers - need to see that QNX is the real deal and a worthwhile use of their resources. If Tablet OS 2.0 fails to impress then the BBX platform is dead before it even launches. If people like it, however, then the reversal of RIM's fortunes will begin in earnest.
    10-16-11 09:35 PM
    Except that article is over a year old..before dual core..before better optimized chipsets..etc etc. And according to the article:

"While the testing undertaken by LaptopMag followed a strict set of parameters, it only accounted for battery life in terms of web browsing. Talk time and standby battery performance were not tested"

So those tests were average 6 hours web browsing..
    Last edited by Rickroller; 10-16-11 at 09:40 PM.
    10-16-11 09:36 PM
    Except that article is over a year old..before dual core..before better optimized chipsets..etc etc. And according to the article:

"While the testing undertaken by LaptopMag followed a strict set of parameters, it only accounted for battery life in terms of web browsing. Talk time and standby battery performance were not tested"

So those tests were average 6 hours web browsing..
    "In the year and a half since it came out, the iPhone 4's specs have been beaten by Android "superphones" in nearly every way: Screen size, processor power, and wireless Internet speeds. But while most of the reasons why someone might want an iPhone were hard to explain using numbers, one of them wasn't: battery life. Because while the iPhone 4 boasted 6 hours of web-browsing time, the HTC Thunderbolt -- one of the super-est of the superphones -- clocked in at roughly two and a half."

Why the iPhone's Battery Life Beats Android Phones' - Yahoo! News

I'm pretty sure people use smartphones for things other than 3G talking. Dual core processors didn't really compensate for the larger screens and 4G radios.
    Last edited by DBX00; 10-16-11 at 09:43 PM.
    10-16-11 09:41 PM
    "In the year and a half since it came out, the iPhone 4's specs have been beaten by Android "superphones" in nearly every way: Screen size, processor power, and wireless Internet speeds. But while most of the reasons why someone might want an iPhone were hard to explain using numbers, one of them wasn't: battery life. Because while the iPhone 4 boasted 6 hours of web-browsing time, the HTC Thunderbolt -- one of the super-est of the superphones -- clocked in at roughly two and a half."

Why the iPhone's Battery Life Beats Android Phones' - Yahoo! News

I'm pretty sure people use smartphones for things other than 3G talking. Dual core processors didn't really compensate for the larger screens and 4G radios.
    Lol..what are you even arguing? Isnt the Thunderbolt LTE? Of course it draws more than the i4.

You claimed Androids couldn't last thru a 3 hour meeting..which is clearly ridiculous. Keep trying to find facts all you want. My Android lasts 16+ hours of normal useage..which generally includes 3 hours of web browsing, 1 hour of voice calls, and countless emails, texts, and IM's.

Does the iPhone have good battery life? Yes. Do BB's have good battery life? Yes. Are Androids worse than the 2 others? Generally yes. But I can guarantee they last longer than 3 hours of use (barring some defect)
    10-16-11 09:53 PM
    From some one who has 2 9650 Bolds and just looked at the latest BB's yesterday the i4S is going to kill in cold blood the 9900's.You have business users and you have people who use a phone for everything under the sun.Which do you think there are more of? I have waited and waited for something bigger better and faster than my 9650 but the new BB's are not that much of am improvement and I compared them holding one in each hand in the store.The I4s was much better at anything internet or media. BB is much bettter on email period.So what do I sacrifice. I sacrifice email because I travel non stop and need to use my phone as everything from a GPS to a language translator. APPS.BB not.I4s Yes. And I have never owned a Apple device in my life. Will I like the Apple who knows. If I do not I will get rid of it and hunt something else. Do I need 4G LTE. No. Where I am at most of the time 4G is nowhere to be found and LTE will never get there.I do require a world phone and both do that.Do I preferthe real keyboard. Right now I do but after I get used to the touch screen I may not. RIM downfall. A terrible start on the touch screen phone and spending time developing the Playbook and letting the phones slip into LALA land. In the Tech business you do not get many chances. Ask Nokia how its going for them.You either keep up or stay ahead. When you fall behind they sell your stock and look for the new up and coming company.Do not think RIM can not go away. Many large tech companies are just a distant memory.Now is the time.
    10-16-11 11:25 PM
    OP, why didn't you fax or e-mail RIM that letter?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ritesh likes this.
    10-17-11 12:01 AM
    They need a compelling reason for users to buy RIM products. Apps? Sure--I'm confident (whenever) they get around to integrating the Android apps into BBX they will satisfy any user's app dreams. But I made a switch from the iPhone 3G to a Bold a year ago for the keyboard and didn't care about the apps too much: you can pretty much get all the functionality from a mobile website anyway.

Fighting against Honeycomb (and ICS) and the iPad on they same playing field with the same set of features is a losing battle. I think RIM's killer product is the BB Phone->Playbook integration. They need to allow developers to create apps that can communicate between the phones and playbooks. They already allow free tethering, which is awesome. Now they just need to open it up to developers (security concerns? That's what Blackberry Balance is for). And they also need to do a better job of integrating Text Messaging and phone call features from the Playbook.

I was originally psyched when I saw Rubenstein show off the awesome integration between the Pre 3 and the Touchpad (yes, I know, they were failures, but despite these features which could never be shown off since HP shut down the Palm phones before they came out). But RIM has a chance to create the type of integration experience which would make people buy their stuff. And they can work closely with partners to make the Playbook a central hub for controlling other products besides phones.

I truly think integration between the phone and playbook is the way to go. And this is in addition to all the stuff that's already been talked about (delivering and not overpromising, etc)...
    Last edited by sashas; 10-17-11 at 07:42 AM.
    10-17-11 07:40 AM
    Look to see if Lazaridis is wearing a suit or casual clothes.

He wore a Blackberry polo shirt during his apology video and that is the first time I think I ever saw him not wearing a tie. My predicition is that he will be in casual clothes and that this will signal RIM's shift to a more consumer-oriented looking company.
    10-17-11 07:44 AM
    In the Tech business you do not get many chances. Ask Nokia how its going for them.You either keep up or stay ahead. Do not think RIM can not go away. Many large tech companies are just a distant memory.
    Couldn't be more true,

RIM must deliver with QNX, or it will wander in darkness with nothing keeping them alive but the corporate email users. I'm not sure talk will do much good, without some epic announcement of an earth shattering QNX 4G-LTE dual-core, 3D 1080p screen, app crushing, web smoking super device that they start tossing freebies of into the crowd.

Think about it.... RIM makes a phone equal to Android/Apple??? Does anyone for a second believe that the biased Steve Jobs changed the World believing tech media is going to give RIM their due? No, RIM must hit one out of the park. Knock the skin off the ball doing so. I like Blackberry, I have two and a Playbook. But my new device eagerness and anticipation can only be let down so many times before I just give up on believing that RIM has it in them to deliver.....
    Last edited by ericdude; 10-17-11 at 08:18 AM.
    10-17-11 07:51 AM
    This is their day, let's see if RIM can rise to the occasion. Hopefully, they can...
    10-18-11 08:40 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD