05-04-15 09:37 AM
92 1234
tools
    Because then you are stuck with a Samsung.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 10:09 AM
    I may be missing something here, but why wouldn't someone who wanted a device with "specs similar to the new Galaxy 6," just not buy a Galaxy 6?
    Well if you like the BB10 OS then you would want to stay with that OS. I like BB10. It is very great to use. However since I have to download so many apps via SNAP, maybe I should just go to a platform where I don't do workarounds. So is the BB10 OS enough to keep me? Well without new all touch competitive hardware and the glorious Chairman Chen saying I'm not a customer they care for, the answer is I should definitely leave.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    03-22-15 10:30 AM
    Well if you like the BB10 OS then you would want to stay with that OS. I like BB10. It is very great to use. However since I have to download so many apps via SNAP, maybe I should just go to a platform where I don't do workarounds. So is the BB10 OS enough to keep me? Well without new all touch competitive hardware and the glorious Chairman Chen saying I'm not a customer they care for, the answer is I should definitely leave.

Posted via CB10
    Given the vagaries of the market, there's no denying that BlackBerry, just as Apple and the various manufacturers using the Android or Windows Mobile OS, are not going to satisfy every consumer. For most consumers, decisions about mobile devices are based upon a balance of needs, desires, what we are comfortable with, and what we can afford. For manufacturers, decisions are based solely upon profitability. If BB thought they could increase profits by increasing their device specs, I truly believe that they would do so. Unfortunately, it is currently difficult, if not impossible, to compete with the "big boys." Heck, even Microsoft is having trouble making inroads in the mobile market.

I like OS10 too and hope that I will be able to use a BB OS for many years to come...
    03-22-15 11:03 AM
    If you don't know I'm certainly not going to tell you. Read. Read. And read some more.

BlackBerry hates America!

Thanks. Thanks. And thanks for your reply..... looks like you missed the point.
    03-22-15 11:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    I strongly agree, you should definitely get an Android or iPhone.
    03-22-15 01:41 PM
    What specs? Based on what?

Hopefully, not entirely based on a pretty mock-up shown for a few seconds before being whisked away again?

I don't recall Chen using the word "flagship". In fact, IIRC I don't believe Chen said much of anything, he gave a teasing intro of very few words and then the guy with the sliders walked on stage... and rapidly walked off again before anyone could take a good look.

Is the sole basis for the belief that Samsung must be involved in the slider simply because the device isn't fugly like the Passport?
    The slider has a dual curved edge screen, which samsung currently has a patent for. That means they made some sort of deal to get a unique patented Samsung technology(that I doubt they would just give away easily), and based on profits and assets of each company it would be assumed that this is a partnership based on exchanging technologies instead of just cash.

Samsung needs BlackBerry software and security expertise way more then they need their money. The Secure Galaxy tab by BlackBerry supports this.

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    03-22-15 01:48 PM
    The slider has a dual curved edge screen, which samsung currently has a patent for. That means they made some sort of deal to get a unique patented Samsung technology(that I doubt they would just give away easily), and based on profits and assets of each company it would be assumed that this is a partnership based on exchanging technologies instead of just cash.

Samsung needs BlackBerry software and security expertise way more then they need their money. The Secure Galaxy tab by BlackBerry supports this.
    Samsung sells their displays to any manufacturer that wants to buy them. Many OEMs use Samsung displays (even Apple at one point). There's no indication that the slider using them is the result of some exclusive deal. It could just as easily be a simple purchase order.

Samsung doesn't need the BB software and security expertise, though I'm sure they are happy to corroborate with them for efficiency sake. The Secure Galaxy tab is by Samsung and Secusmart, while BB's involvement is more by extension since the just recently acquired the company.
    JeepBB likes this.
    03-22-15 02:05 PM
    On the face of it, better hardware specs would be nice. No disagreement there.

However, who does that appeal to most?

I'm going to suggest iPhone people don't care about specs unless it's how much better the iPhone 9 is to the iPhone 8S - it's been brainwashed into them. Otherwise, they'd have made the leap to another brand ages ago because let's face it, the specs of any iPhone are generally **** compared with the other "flagship" phones of their age.

I'm not going to waste time talking about the Windows Phone crowd because I can't understand what motivates them to use such awful product in the first place.

That leaves the Android folks. These, in my experience, have been the spec wieners. Quad core this, blah blah blah that. Less interested in the experience than the processor revision under the hood. Their gaming rig at home is probably cutting edge, too.

They don't matter, and they shouldn't matter. The spec wieners want custom Android builds, customizable everything out the yin yang, and clearly, CLEARLY don't care about security. They just won't switch to BlackBerry because of hardware.

Oh, and before I go, chasing "The fastest/biggest/whateverest" is always a losing proposition. Just ask Intel. They release a new "fastest" processor, then six months down the road AMD release an even faster one that's just an over clocked version of what Intel released a year ago. Intel spends billions each year to innovate and push the envelope, AMD spends a fraction of that reverse engineering.

So sod it, hardware isn't going to help.

Posted via CB10
    03-22-15 02:11 PM
    I may be missing something here, but why wouldn't someone who wanted a device with "specs similar to the new Galaxy 6," just not buy a Galaxy 6?
    Because I prefer a physical keyboard. I bought a Samsung Infuse when it was released. The specs and screen were pretty good.

But I hated the virtual keyboard almost from day one. So I happily came back to BlackBerry when the Q10 was released.

Like the Saturn car, it was new and innovative. GM changed the look over time but not really what was under the hood. Now the Saturn is no more.
    03-22-15 03:03 PM
    Given the vagaries of the market, there's no denying that BlackBerry, just as Apple and the various manufacturers using the Android or Windows Mobile OS, are not going to satisfy every consumer. For most consumers, decisions about mobile devices are based upon a balance of needs, desires, what we are comfortable with, and what we can afford. For manufacturers, decisions are based solely upon profitability. If BB thought they could increase profits by increasing their device specs, I truly believe that they would do so. Unfortunately, it is currently difficult, if not impossible, to compete with the "big boys." Heck, even Microsoft is having trouble making inroads in the mobile market.

I like OS10 too and hope that I will be able to use a BB OS for many years to come...
    Here is BlackBerry's problem. They are ignoring the BB10 customers they have now on the Z10 and Z30, which is a good number. While they have to win new enterprise customers and the Leap is targeted as a cheap, large screen all touch, does that mean they should ignore the existing customers, and risk losing them and have them out there bad mouthing the company when someone asks them questions about smartphones? This is the situation BlackBerry is creating. Doesn't have to be a powerhouse device, but needs to be a SOC improvement over the Z30. Think Qualcomm 6xx with quad core GPU, and a 1080p. This isn't high end, but is a good improvement. Leap for low end and Enterprise, and this device to keep your existing Z users by giving them an upgrade path.

Classic would be enjoying more sales from Q10 users if it had an improved SOC too. Releasing a device with a tool belt and same SOC isn't going to get many Q10 users to stay on board, and the Passport is a not for all devices with the 3 row PKB. Instead BlackBerry is slipping back to the BBOS days where they keep releasing devices with the same processor year after year with a minor change.

Posted via CB10
    crackberry_geek likes this.
    03-22-15 03:05 PM
    Samsung sells their displays to any manufacturer that wants to buy them. Many OEMs use Samsung displays (even Apple at one point). There's no indication that the slider using them is the result of some exclusive deal. It could just as easily be a simple purchase order.

Samsung doesn't need the BB software and security expertise, though I'm sure they are happy to corroborate with them for efficiency sake. The Secure Galaxy tab is by Samsung and Secusmart, while BB's involvement is more by extension since the just recently acquired the company.
    Don't forget about IBM...for accuracy sake. Your the stickler on being accurate so if your going to perpetuate information rather than just rumor etc...etc...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=IBM+secure+tablet&iax=1

му ηєω мιηι ℓαρтσρ...αкα ραѕѕρσят!!!
    03-23-15 01:37 AM
    I strongly agree, you should definitely get an Android or iPhone.
    Yes that will help BlackBerry, along with all of the testing I'll be doing for IP PBX and smartphone integration. Guess I should just recommend that myself and the potential 60,000+ devices in that project go that route huh? Bunch of blind Homers on this sight that can't see the forest for the trees.

Posted via CB10
    03-23-15 07:46 AM
    Yes that will help BlackBerry, along with all of the testing I'll be doing for IP PBX and smartphone integration. Guess I should just recommend that myself and the potential 60,000+ devices in that project go that route huh? Bunch of blind Homers on this sight that can't see the forest for the trees.

Posted via CB10
    It is a shame you don't look into my posts further to see my REAL point.... homer.
    nt300 likes this.
    03-23-15 09:08 AM
    Why can't / won't BlackBerry make a phone with specs similar to the new Galaxy 6?

I'm getting real tired of say: But hey, look, I have a real keyboard. I came back to BlackBerry when the Q10 was released. And thought that BlackBerry was on the right path.

But they're doing the same thing that GM did with the Saturn car. Little changes here and there. But nut nothing spectacular. And now the Saturn is no more.

BlackBerry the hardware technology is out, USE IT!
    Yes it's called the BlackBerry Slider. But I agree a renamed Z30 is needed really bad.

Sexy White Z30
    03-23-15 11:10 PM
    What specs? Based on what?

Hopefully, not entirely based on a pretty mock-up shown for a few seconds before being whisked away again?

I don't recall Chen using the word "flagship". In fact, IIRC I don't believe Chen said much of anything, he gave a teasing intro of very few words and then the guy with the sliders walked on stage... and rapidly walked off again before anyone could take a good look.

Is the sole basis for the belief that Samsung must be involved in the slider simply because the device isn't fugly like the Passport?
    The Rumoured Specifications of this Slider Device by a reliable Source:
    While the specs of the device werent offially announced, we are informed of the following unconfirmed details:

Snapdragon 810, 64 Bit processor (4 x 32-Bit & 4 x 64-Bit Cores) Basically making this device future proof.
    3 GB Ram
    32 GB Inbuilt, + 128 Gb Micro SD
    3850 mAH non-removable battery
    16 MP rear camera with a 5 MP front camera
    http://rapidmobile.biz/blackberry/bl...kberry-slider/

nt300 is a classic BlackBerry fanboy. When pressed for proof to quantify his claims, he can't produce.
    And as for Birdman, I am surprised you would speak about me in that manner. There's already a thread about the proposed Slider Specs.

Sexy White Z30
    03-23-15 11:19 PM
    Ah, from a "reliable source".

Yup, that's certainly good enough for me, I'm entirely convinced by that spec list. I'm sorry that I ever doubted you.

:face-palm:
    MarsupilamiX and mikeo007 like this.
    03-24-15 04:02 AM
    Hi all,

I'm under the impression that as long as you have the apps you want and the user experience is fluid you don't care of what's in your phone. If all is smooth you don't care what chip is in there I guess and BlackBerry as well as Apple don't use high specs. If you look at the RAM of the 6+ it features what I believe 1 GB of RAM but runs not bad at all rather than the enormous 3GB of the Note4 for instance. BB have designed nice phones and as far as I remember BB10 isn't that laggy.

So based on this I'd say that BB is really doing a good enough job for now to use reasonable specs in a good OS to provide a fluid user experience without sacrificing too much battery life. My Nexus 5 usually dies at the end of the day even without a lot of heavy use. I'm sure that a Z10 would beat that.
    03-24-15 04:12 AM
    The Rumoured Specifications of this Slider Device by a reliable Source:
    While the specs of the device werent offially announced, we are informed of the following unconfirmed details:

Snapdragon 810, 64 Bit processor (4 x 32-Bit & 4 x 64-Bit Cores) Basically making this device future proof.
    3 GB Ram
    32 GB Inbuilt, + 128 Gb Micro SD
    3850 mAH non-removable battery
    16 MP rear camera with a 5 MP front camera
    http://rapidmobile.biz/blackberry/bl...kberry-slider/

And as for Birdman, I am surprised you would speak about me in that manner. There's already a thread about the proposed Slider Specs.

Sexy White Z30
    How did the Classic and Leap specs leaks work out? No one thought they were getting the Z10/Q10 SOC, the lowest I heard was the Z30's leading up. I don't think BlackBerry can pull a 64 bit migration and a device like that off by end of the year. Sorry but they can't walk and chew gum and this is simply beyond them now IMHO.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 09:27 AM
    Blackberry has released 4 devices and basically a new OS in what? A year and a half... I would say that they are capable of a lot more now.

Brought to you by an overpriced carrier.
    03-24-15 01:20 PM
    Blackberry has released 4 devices and basically a new OS in what? A year and a half... I would say that they are capable of a lot more now.
    Are you referring to 2013-14? They're a much leaner company now.
    03-24-15 01:30 PM

Two of the new phones are retreads of previous devices. The Z10/Q10/Q5/Classic/Leap are basically the same phones when it comes to the SOC. Z3 was a Foxconn device. Look how long it took them to get Classic out from announcement and it was just optimizing the OS for a few buttons and a trackpad, and they were late with it. 64 Bit is going to require a lot of engineering time on the OS, on the native apps BlackBerry writes, and all of the security certifications will have to be done again.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 02:03 PM

Not really.

Passport is the only truly new device since the Z30.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 02:31 PM
    What good does a 64-bit OS really do you on a mobile OS? What application would you want to run that needs that large of an instruction set, or to access more than 4 GB of RAM? Even in Windows and OS X, the bulk of the applications people use are 32-bit.

The only reason to do it is because someone else has, which is not a compelling reason.

Posted via CB10
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    03-24-15 06:00 PM
    What good does a 64-bit OS really do you on a mobile OS? What application would you want to run that needs that large of an instruction set, or to access more than 4 GB of RAM? Even in Windows and OS X, the bulk of the applications people use are 32-bit.

The only reason to do it is because someone else has, which is not a compelling reason.

Posted via CB10
    On site rapid 3D rendering for engineers for one. Larger number calculations that currently aren't available to apps today, but will evolve with the newfound ability for two. Advancement breeds ability. The downfall of any company is the sense that "What we have now is good enough". Enter the RIM/BBRY fall from grace.

Via Tapatalk
    Last edited by DenverRalphy; 03-24-15 at 06:24 PM.
    03-24-15 06:13 PM

Posted via CB10
    I would think that the heavy number crunching needed in some of those genome apps touted in the Nanthealth deal would benefit greatly from 64 bit processing. The more a device is capable of, the more you do with a device.

Posted via CB10
    03-24-15 07:29 PM
92 1234