05-04-15 09:37 AM
92 123 ...
tools
    Why can't / won't BlackBerry make a phone with specs similar to the new Galaxy 6?

I'm getting real tired of say: But hey, look, I have a real keyboard. I came back to BlackBerry when the Q10 was released. And thought that BlackBerry was on the right path.

But they're doing the same thing that GM did with the Saturn car. Little changes here and there. But nut nothing spectacular. And now the Saturn is no more.

BlackBerry the hardware technology is out, USE IT!
    03-20-15 09:40 AM
    Why can't / won't BlackBerry make a phone with specs similar to the new Galaxy 6?

I'm getting real tired of say: But hey, look, I have a real keyboard. I came back to BlackBerry when the Q10 was released. And thought that BlackBerry was on the right path.

But they're doing the same thing that GM did with the Saturn car. Little changes here and there. But nut nothing spectacular. And now the Saturn is no more.

BlackBerry the hardware technology is out, USE IT!
    They don't have the purchasing power Apple and Samsung have.
    But with the new relationship with Samsung maybe this could change.

BlackBerry hates America!
    03-20-15 10:14 AM
    OP: you're also forgetting Samsung is a major component manufacturer. They have the scale to make their own components while BlackBerry has to purchase them, or pay to have them built to their specifications. They are two very different companies.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 10:52 AM
    For the same reason Microsoft doesn't make a WP8.1 flagship. To get discount on components you have to order a lot of them. And so you ahve to make a lot of phones with those components and distribute them all over the world.

Sure, we at CB would buy this high-end BB10 phone, but most people wouldn't. And since high-end phones cost a lot to make, the danger of not selling is very big and the loses would be huge for BB.
    03-20-15 11:01 AM
    I don't understand the post.

Why make a phone to have specs like an S6?
    DonTonyB likes this.
    03-20-15 11:53 AM
    I don't understand the post.

Why make a phone to have specs like an S6?
    If you don't know I'm certainly not going to tell you. Read. Read. And read some more.

BlackBerry hates America!
    03-20-15 12:33 PM
    The Passport isn't spectacular? The new Slider with G6 Edge screen+Camera?

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    Nascarfan24 likes this.
    03-20-15 12:39 PM
    They are with curved screen

Z10
    03-20-15 12:41 PM
    Maybe they will later in the year or early next. I'm sure Samsung wouldn't want a BlackBerry GS6 competing directly with their GS6 at launch time. Maybe they will wait about 6 months after GS6 launch, when sales start slowing and then let BlackBerry launch a device based on it. That way they can still make money off the hardware later in its life cycle. A 6 month old GS6 spec'd device would still be better than anything BlackBerry would put out on their own.

Posted via CB10
    eyesopen1111 and LuvULongTime like this.
    03-20-15 01:26 PM
    They will. Now that Blackberry and Samsung officially have some kind of collaboration that also means that they will have access to their technology much earlier. Samsung delays the availability of their cutting edge displays so that their own phones get a competitive advantage. However, now Samsung can provide Blackberry their tech on an earlier stage. My is guess is that the display in the new slider is the Samsung 1440x5660 5.1" display.

Will Blackberry ever be able to release the latest tech before Samsung or LG? Not likely because they don't own any HW tech however I don't see this as an enormous disadvantage. The Blackberry Passport doesn't sport the absolutely latest everything, however is very premium despite of that.
    03-20-15 01:35 PM
    The only Samsung/BlackBerry collaboration that I've read about is to do with Knox and WorkLife. A deal that seems to favour Samsung who will acquire BB's mobile billing know-how.

However, I keep reading here on CB of deeper collaboration ranging from Samsung providing components to BB (that's no biggie, as Samsung will supply anyone willing to pay their price), all the way through to Samsung actually building handsets (based on the S6 no less!) for BB - which would be impossible given Samsung's membership of the Android OHA and BB10's inclusion of the Android RT.

Does anyone have any details of these other collaborations, or is this "special relationship" a CB fantasy?
    03-20-15 01:59 PM
    I suspect the Samsung thing is not a "partnership." Despite what Blackberry might say. I think it's more likely a simple cash transaction.

As for the slider with the "edge" screen, a guy held up a dummy on stage for about five seconds. That's a long way from a shipping product. We will see.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    JeepBB and dolco like this.
    03-20-15 02:14 PM
    You will not see much in the way of Flagship devices as unless Enterprise customers are clamouring for them ( which I doubt due to costs )... The consumer looking for flagship devices are few and the amount of devices produced with be minimal... so expect more supply chain issues like the Passport....
    JeepBB and anon1727506 like this.
    03-20-15 02:32 PM
    The only Samsung/BlackBerry collaboration that I've read about is to do with Knox and WorkLife. A deal that seems to favour Samsung who will acquire BB's mobile billing know-how.

However, I keep reading here on CB of deeper collaboration ranging from Samsung providing components to BB (that's no biggie, as Samsung will supply anyone willing to pay their price), all the way through to Samsung actually building handsets (based on the S6 no less!) for BB - which would be impossible given Samsung's membership of the Android OHA and BB10's inclusion of the Android RT.

Does anyone have any details of these other collaborations, or is this "special relationship" a CB fantasy?
    True that Samsung sells their tech to anyone that is interested however the question is when and for how much. The closer two companies are then it does matter. I've seen the opposite (direct competitor, legal disputes) which is usually not pretty. Also partnerships doesn't form overnight. Buying large quantities of some tech is not like going to your local grocery store buying milk.
    03-20-15 02:39 PM
    Based on rumored specs, BlackBerry's upcoming up coming BB10 flagship Slider device could be a collaboration with Samsung.

That's the device to wait for.

Posted via CB10
    03-20-15 02:41 PM
    Based on rumored specs, BlackBerry's upcoming up coming BB10 flagship Slider device could be a collaboration with Samsung.

What specs? Based on what?

Hopefully, not entirely based on a pretty mock-up shown for a few seconds before being whisked away again?

I don't recall Chen using the word "flagship". In fact, IIRC I don't believe Chen said much of anything, he gave a teasing intro of very few words and then the guy with the sliders walked on stage... and rapidly walked off again before anyone could take a good look.

Is the sole basis for the belief that Samsung must be involved in the slider simply because the device isn't fugly like the Passport?
    anon1727506, Witmen and mikeo007 like this.
    03-20-15 02:59 PM
    They will. Now that Blackberry and Samsung officially have some kind of collaboration that also means that they will have access to their technology much earlier. Samsung delays the availability of their cutting edge displays so that their own phones get a competitive advantage. However, now Samsung can provide Blackberry their tech on an earlier stage. My is guess is that the display in the new slider is the Samsung 1440x5660 5.1" display.

Will Blackberry ever be able to release the latest tech before Samsung or LG? Not likely because they don't own any HW tech however I don't see this as an enormous disadvantage. The Blackberry Passport doesn't sport the absolutely latest everything, however is very premium despite of that.
    There's nothing to show BB and Samsung have some special relationship beyond a Samsung tablet incorporating SecuSmart into an enterprise tablet. And working together with Samsung Knox, which Google is also a part of.

As for Samsung's hardware technology, they've never held back their HW technology in favor of their own devices vs competition. Quite often, Samsung parts show up in competitor's devices before Samsung's own. Case in point, most Apple devices carried a lot of Samsung parts before Samsung devices. Until Apple lost the opportunity to use them after several petty court battles. Many Android OEMs (HTC, Huawei, etc.) release devices with Samsung hardware before Sammy does themselves.

Via Tapatalk
    anon1727506 likes this.
    03-20-15 03:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    Please point out these rumors. After all... rumors were also stating that the new secure tablet would be a BB10 device instead of an Android device.

Via Tapatalk
    JeepBB, Soulstream and Witmen like this.
    03-20-15 03:08 PM
    The real answer as I understand it, is bb has to write all their drivers for the new hardware and it takes a very long time. Android on the other hand has its drivers done by Qualcomm so they can churn them out fast.
    03-20-15 09:39 PM
    Thanks all for the various answers.

I hope that the Slider has the wow factor.
    03-20-15 10:15 PM
    So how does the rumored "Titan" name come into play...?

Sure you won't give such a name to a product that's not a Lambo or a, ahem... Porsche specs-wise...

:-)

  Passposted while waiting for the Zzzzzlider....  
    03-20-15 11:57 PM
    What specs? Based on what?
    nt300 is a classic BlackBerry fanboy. When pressed for proof to quantify his claims, he can't produce.
    DrBoomBotz, mikeo007 and techvisor like this.
    03-21-15 01:22 AM
    So how does the rumored "Titan" name come into play...?

Sure you won't give such a name to a product that's not a Lambo or a, ahem... Porsche specs-wise...

:-)

  Passposted while waiting for the Zzzzzlider....  
    I'm sure it will be a disappointment based on the most recent offerings. BlackBerry's naming conventions are and always have been totally irrelevant, minus the Passport, which has the same dimensions as a Passport. I'm fully prepared for BlackBerry to punt the handset business. They clearly now are focused on low end corporate phones or gimmicky, non practical stuff.

Posted via CB10
    03-21-15 09:25 AM
    Harley Davidson does quite well for itself, with less than inspiring specs. Don't get me wrong. I like Harley's and would like one in my garage, but they are the type of bike that doesn't need 150 horsepower to enhance the ride. My super duper powerful race engined 750 is rated at about 150hp, but I rarely use half of that. I would probably enjoy a Sunday afternoon ride more often on a Harley than a sport bike.

Perhaps is motorcycle comparisons to cell phones is a bad analogy (the snow is almost melted, can't wait to get back on the bikes), but I do like the end user experience on my dual core 720p blackberries more than the state of the art android powerhouses due to the operating system. Clickety clacking on my $100 q5 is viscerally more satisfying than some glass slabbed anonymous android powerhouse.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    03-22-15 09:22 AM
    I may be missing something here, but why wouldn't someone who wanted a device with "specs similar to the new Galaxy 6," just not buy a Galaxy 6?
    03-22-15 09:31 AM
92 123 ...