09-19-13 08:01 AM
66 123
tools
    We have all heard the great news that BBM is going cross-platform, if I heard that a year and a half ago I would be upset thinking what else is the point of having a blackberry if everyone has BBM. But now, with BB10 there are so many great features BBM isn't a core determinant anymore.

Why isn't it being offered for Windows Phone 8? Because BlackBerry wants to secure 3rd spot, if Android, iOS and BlackBerry users are all on BBM why buy a windows phone 8. Its a smart tactic, im sure eventually they will provide support but not at the short term until blackberry clinches 3rd spot.

More: BBM is also going to be extended past phones to tablets so obviously iPads and Galaxy Tabs but also to Desktops. My friends in BlackBerry are working on the Mac version of BBM Desktop, and I don't know anyone specifically working on Windows but I am sure the version is there too. It will be the ultimate replacement of Skype, one can hope.
    sheeraz_aa likes this.
    05-14-13 10:23 AM
    The delay for Windows might also have to do with the fact it is a newer OS. As you mentioned the cross platform talk has been floating around for awhile now. Perhaps BlackBerry ready started some of the leg work prior to windows being released. Or perhaps they want to see of it is worth investing in since it is a new platform.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 03:21 PM
    the strategy will only work if bbm manages to overthrow the competition. plus, Microsoft could pull Skype support for all blackberrys as a counter. therefore your explanation is highly improbable
    Etios likes this.
    05-14-13 03:27 PM
    We have all heard the great news that BBM is going cross-platform, if I heard that a year and a half ago I would be upset thinking what else is the point of having a blackberry if everyone has BBM. But now, with BB10 there are so many great features BBM isn't a core determinant anymore.

Why isn't it being offered for Windows Phone 8? Because BlackBerry wants to secure 3rd spot, if Android, iOS and BlackBerry users are all on BBM why buy a windows phone 8. Its a smart tactic, im sure eventually they will provide support but not at the short term until blackberry clinches 3rd spot.

More: BBM is also going to be extended past phones to tablets so obviously iPads and Galaxy Tabs but also to Desktops. My friends in BlackBerry are working on the Mac version of BBM Desktop, and I don't know anyone specifically working on Windows but I am sure the version is there too. It will be the ultimate replacement of Skype, one can hope.
    Its not going to work because Skype User base is just so massive and still gaining. Also ms can easily remove Skype from BlackBerry. And it won't go well man
    Etios likes this.
    05-14-13 07:58 PM
    So if they are ignoring WP8 users then I guess people can kiss that instagram app goodbye lol. I think if it was coming, now would've been the best time to announce it
    05-14-13 08:32 PM
    Not fair. Microsoft brought Skype to BB10.. They would have been able to damage BlackBerry far more by holding out Skype.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-14-13 08:59 PM
    So if they are ignoring WP8 users then I guess people can kiss that instagram app goodbye lol. I think if it was coming, now would've been the best time to announce it
    Sure keep thing that. Man MS can easily crush BB when they want to and also do you really think BB10 is really going to get it as well. Lol you're so funny. Aka not
    Etios likes this.
    05-14-13 10:56 PM
    My thoughts exactly. Microsoft was nice enough to hand over Skype. There could be a good explanation for this though. We just don't know it yet?

Posted via CB10
    05-14-13 11:00 PM
    Haha....that would be awesome if BBM just snuck up behind skype and BLAM! Ambush sucka!
    Dapper37 likes this.
    05-14-13 11:06 PM
    Sure keep thing that. Man MS can easily crush BB when they want to and also do you really think BB10 is really going to get it as well. Lol you're so funny. Aka not
    Lol guess someone pissed your your bowl of cereal. Obviously u missed the joke smh
    05-15-13 01:26 AM
    My thoughts exactly. Microsoft was nice enough to hand over Skype. There could be a good explanation for this though. We just don't know it yet?

Posted via CB10
    From what I know, Microsoft didn't hand anything over...it's an Android port. I don't think that's done by Microsoft, but I could be wrong.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 01:53 AM
    From what I know, Microsoft didn't hand anything over...it's an Android port. I don't think that's done by Microsoft, but I could be wrong.

Posted via CB10
    Actually Microsoft did change some stuff on the Android port so we could get hub integration and push notifications. Thing is they didn't rush to get it out, but took more time than needed (or so I think).
    05-15-13 02:20 AM
    Windows and blackberry (are kind of fighting) for 3rd. If you are windows 8 and who wants to get the 3rd place, will you support blackberry? Of course no.

In blackberry 's side, they knew skype is important for consumers... they're thinking ahead. if windows won't give full skype support for BlackBerry (or let's say they just don't give a damn), why settle for less? That's why they're now slowly expanding bbm to other flatform. This is kind of a plan B I guess.

Anyway, this is just my opinion.

Posted via (CB)
    05-15-13 02:26 AM
    Haven't BlackBerry kicked Skype in the nuts by doing this?
    I mean they courted Skype all year long and now they release BBM across all platforms with BBM voice and video coming soon.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 06:10 AM
    I'd like to say that windows (Microsoft) sometimes does bullsh!ts.

Posted via (CB)
    05-15-13 09:09 AM
    I think people are reading too much into it.

Android and iOS versions are probably just further along in the project, and are within spitting distance from release. So announcing them now is a no-brainer. A WP8 version could very well be planned but not yet started, discussions with MS for development corroboration may be in the works, etc.. There are a myriad of reasons as to why they didn't mention WP8.

I seriously doubt it was any kind of a snub. Nor that there will not be a WP8 version for any nefarious reason.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-15-13 11:22 AM
    If their plan is to win over the mobile messaging game, then they'll probably bring it to WP eventually. Let's look at the larger picture though, Skype is a cross-platform messenger. It exists everywhere, on computers, TV's, in cars, etc.. BlackBerry needs a way to get BBM into all the same places (eventually). Plus, BBM doesn't call phones. So it's not a major threat to Skype at the moment.

Once you have 500 million people using BBM, that's when you really go after Skype. But we're not there yet
    05-15-13 11:59 AM
    I think the logical explanation is related to the userbase and complexities around developing for each platform.

IOS and Native BB10 are very similar, hiring developers or using internal is easier.

Android primarily uses Java, which internally they would have plenty of developers for.

WP8 on the other hand is an entirely different beast, you would need to find people with these skills, which could be harder.

Posted via CB10
    05-15-13 12:23 PM
    I'd tell Microsoft no Native Skype, no BBM for Windows Phone. It isn't like their is a huge Windows Phone base out there to revolt, so play hardball.
    05-15-13 03:26 PM
    What I'm loving about all this is that for the first time BlackBerry is telling a platform that you don't have enough numbers for us to develop for you (wp8)
    Windows better get their act together if they want the BlackBerry goodies.
    On a side note has anyone here tried bbm channels? Already there are a few channels on it and it's so easy to make. No coding etc. Just upload content and it's on.
    BlackBerry just needs to market the he!! out of this. It's like a targeted social network.

Posted via CB10
    epark88 likes this.
    05-15-13 03:42 PM
    I'd tell Microsoft no Native Skype, no BBM for Windows Phone. It isn't like their is a huge Windows Phone base out there to revolt, so play hardball.
    lol that's like telling a car dealer you'd like to pay with fruits.
    05-15-13 11:52 PM
    lol that's like telling a car dealer you'd like to pay with fruits.
    Depends on how much it catches on with the other platforms. If it is huge and becomes another reason not to buy a WP then your analogy is dead.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 06:03 AM
    What I'm loving about all this is that for the first time BlackBerry is telling a platform that you don't have enough numbers for us to develop for you (wp8)
    Windows better get their act together if they want the BlackBerry goodies.
    On a side note has anyone here tried bbm channels? Already there are a few channels on it and it's so easy to make. No coding etc. Just upload content and it's on.
    BlackBerry just needs to market the he!! out of this. It's like a targeted social network.

Posted via CB10
    Good point about marketing. It will be surreal to see a BBM logo in a hipster iPhone commercial but I can see the benefits.

As for Skype, BBM is being developed in such a way that it will crush anything that is out there. Think about it, the capabilities of BBM (including what they are developing) surpass anything by a healthy margin. Cheap, secure, free, high quality communication across different spectrums all with the blackberry name highlighted all along.

BBRY is securing themselves as a viable alternative consumer wise in terms of handsets while at the same time cementing their dominance in the enterprise space. Couple all of this with becoming the standard for MDM with BES10 in terms of revenue. Further to this is the work on mobile computing beyond traditional phones. I am starting to see the genius at work.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-13 08:31 AM
    Apologies for replying so late, I found the thread on Google when searching "BBM Windows Phone" in the hopes I might find some info.

However, BBM not heading to WP likely has to do with the latter's small size/late entry, nothing more. While Microsoft does have its own enterprise messaging solution in Lync, I'm 100% sure that MS is open and hopeful of BBM and other competing products, e.g. Cisco Voice, Salesforce CRM, Google Drive + Docs, Hangouts, etc. As a WP user I am hopeful that we see a lot more Delta Airline level adoptions for WP and W8, that would be the impetus needed to get all these amazing services from BBRY, Salesforce, GOOG, etc.
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    08-29-13 04:06 PM
    If they want BBM to topple Whatsapp, it needs to be everywhere
    Holding back BBM from Windows will hurt Blackberry in the long run
    08-29-13 05:00 PM
66 123