Bbm really needs to improve

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 08:58 AM
    Huge in Indonesia though!
    05-21-14 09:20 AM
    No imessenger?

Check Out TechCraze
    05-21-14 10:17 AM
    I'm surprised that Skype is the de facto choice in Phillipines, seeing that a lot of them are on Viber, Line and Whatsapp. Interesting observation.
    05-21-14 10:20 AM
    No imessenger?

Check Out TechCraze
    USA would be the only candidate and that app is not cross platform and thus not on Gplay. Also since Gplay is absent from the Chinese market that info for top messenger is missing from the infographic
    05-21-14 10:55 AM
    USA would be the only candidate and that app is not cross platform and thus not on Gplay. Also since Gplay is absent from the Chinese market that info for top messenger is missing from the infographic
    Ah missed that it was on Google play store, I would take it with a bucket of salt then

Check Out TechCraze
    05-21-14 11:05 AM
    Ah missed that it was on Google play store, I would take it with a bucket of salt then

Check Out TechCraze
    Yes if you find a country where Android is not the dominate smartphone platform, these number will be skewed. Or if messenger is dominantly used on other platforms, say SKYPE and Windows - it's relevance will not show up on this graph.
    05-21-14 11:18 AM
    Over what period is this data?

Check Out TechCraze
    05-21-14 11:26 AM
    Facebook messenger in Canada, really?

Posted via CB10
    05-21-14 07:08 PM
    Yes, it is number 3 in the Canadian Play Store at the moment. BBM is ranked 50.
    05-21-14 09:26 PM
    pretty expected for greece < viber > xD
    05-22-14 04:43 AM
    I'm surprised that BBM is only tops in one country. Didn't expect it would be best everywhere, but more than one. It really is the best in my view. It should be higher up in more countries.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    05-22-14 09:37 PM
    I don't know why, but BBM dropped to 69 on the top free Apps on the Canadian Play Store. It was 50 just a few days ago.
    05-24-14 06:58 PM
    It'd below 100 in singapore

Posted via CB10
    05-24-14 07:00 PM
    I'm surprised that BBM is only tops in one country. Didn't expect it would be best everywhere, but more than one. It really is the best in my view. It should be higher up in more countries.

The BEST??

Really?

I haven't looked at it since I deleted it from my Nexus 7, and that was a week or so after release,...but at that time BBM was well and truly busted.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    05-25-14 02:17 AM
    The BEST??

Really?

I haven't looked at it since I deleted it from my Nexus 7, and that was a week or so after release,...but at that time BBM was well and truly busted.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    Yes. I do believe that BBM is the best messenger service.

05-25-14 08:22 PM
    Pretty sure it's wechat for China

Posted via CB10
    05-26-14 11:11 PM
    So that kinda means Facebook just took over the large majority of messaging apps on Google play since they bought out whatsapp. Too OP

Posted via CB10
    05-27-14 01:54 AM
    Very interesting, but these stats (like all stats) need more context.
    1. I'm not sure how many other messaging apps are preloaded onto different manufacturers' devices, but BBM is definitely preloaded onto at least ten makers of Android phones. Samsung (first deal was for all phones sold in Africa, though I'm not sure about rest of world); LG; Tecno; and from India, Micromax, Zen, Celkon, and Spice. There are more: Be, Brightstar, EVERCOSS, IMO, Mito, Snexian, Tiphone.

2. BBM is also I believe preloaded onto the Nokia X (Android) and in Q2 will be preloaded onto select Windows Phones.

3. BBM is the top downloaded messaging app in 3 countries from the App Store, and is in the top 3 for 12 countries. In other words, in the iOS sphere, it remains very competitive.

BBM (typically) got to the cross-platform party a day late and a dollar short, but it remains a Player. It should be able to differentiate itself with the advent of a highly secure money transfer system (being trialled in Indonesia). BBM Protected will also give BBM a stronghold in the enterprise.
    tinochiko and Alvin Loh like this.
    05-28-14 01:25 PM
    USA would be the only candidate and that app is not cross platform and thus not on Gplay.
    iPhone is actually bigger in Japan, I think. Ever since NTT DOCOMO started carrying the iPhone, its marketshare has rocketed to >50%.

I don't even really consider Facebook a "messaging app"; but, all your contacts are on there already so it's not surprising to me.
    05-28-14 01:39 PM
    iPhone is actually bigger in Japan, I think. Ever since NTT DOCOMO started carrying the iPhone, its marketshare has rocketed to >50%.

I don't even really consider Facebook a "messaging app"; but, all your contacts are on there already so it's not surprising to me.
    You would be surprised, in terms of features, fb (on desktop at least) actually has more in common with bbm than WhatsApp (stickers, groups etc)

Check Out TechCraze
    05-28-14 02:04 PM
    Very interesting, but these stats (like all stats) need more context.
    1. I'm not sure how many other messaging apps are preloaded onto different manufacturers' devices, but BBM is definitely preloaded onto at least ten makers of Android phones. Samsung (first deal was for all phones sold in Africa, though I'm not sure about rest of world); LG; Tecno; and from India, Micromax, Zen, Celkon, and Spice. There are more: Be, Brightstar, EVERCOSS, IMO, Mito, Snexian, Tiphone.
    Pre-loaded apps get counted as downloads on Google Play, so downloads really is a poor way to judge anything. Downloading does not mean usage, and usage is what counts - it's what gives a messaging network it's usefulness and value. That's why the only real metric that matters for a messenger is active users, which is normally given as "daily," "weekly," or "monthly" active users.

Also, remember that Facebook recently spun FB Messenger off as a separate app, so there will have been lots of downloads of that recently, even by people who rarely actually use it.
    05-28-14 02:16 PM
    Bbm is a great app just needs to be marketed
    05-28-14 04:18 PM
    Bbm is a great app just needs to be marketed
    It's about users too. I was just on a course with a colleague, who is an iPhone user. She had BBM installed and loved it, but ended up deleting it because she didn't know anyone else with it, so she had nobody to communicate with.

I continue to think that in terms of functionality BBM is king for me.

05-29-14 10:23 AM