I'm sure most people on here voted for the petition but in case you hadn't the White House has issued a response and to summarize they agree with the public opinion and feel that consumers should be allowed to unlock devices they rightfully own and are not currently under a contract.

The White House agrees with the 114,000+ of you who believe that consumers should be able to unlock their cell phones without risking criminal or other penalties. In fact, we believe the same principle should also apply to tablets, which are increasingly similar to smart phones. And if you have paid for your mobile device, and aren't bound by a service agreement or other obligation, you should be able to use it on another network. It's common sense, crucial for protecting consumer choice, and important for ensuring we continue to have the vibrant, competitive wireless market that delivers innovative products and solid service to meet consumers' needs.
    Full Text here

And here is an article from the Android Central side of Mobile Nations...
    Last edited by nick.clute; 03-04-13 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Added AC link
    SlcCorrado and grover5 like this.
    03-04-13 05:01 PM
    This part from the response was interesting:

neither criminal law nor technological locks should prevent consumers from switching carriers when they are no longer bound by a service agreement or other obligation.
    Sooo what if I want to unlock my iPhone for (temporary) international usage two months into my contract? Will AT&T willingly unlock it?
    Majestic Lion likes this.
    03-04-13 05:53 PM
    Nope. Has to be out of contract. Unless you are with the military and can prove you are being deployed. Sucks to be you.
    03-04-13 05:57 PM
    Nope. Has to be out of contract. Unless you are with the military and can prove you are being deployed. Sucks to be you.
    ?? Not true Ok, according to their website, that's their standard for unlocking in contract.

General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking iPhone
    AT&T will unlock an iPhone under the following circumstances:
    The person requesting the unlock is:
    a current AT&T customer or a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the accountThe iPhone was designed for use on AT&T's network;All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied; and The iPhone has not been reported lost or stolen.
    Additional Information about iPhone Unlocks
    Current customers will be allowed five (5) unlocks per account, per year, so long as their account is in good standing with no past-due amount or unpaid balance and has been active for at least sixty (60) days.
    Former customers will be allowed five (5) unlocks per former account so long as they owe AT&T no Early Termination Fee or other unpaid balance.
    In addition, AT&T will unlock an iPhone for: (i) an active and deployed member of the military who is a current AT&T customer in good standing and is able to provide AT&T with deployment verification; and (ii) a person who purchased the iPhone from an authorized location at the "no commitment" price and can provide proof of purchase.

This part from the response was interesting:

Sooo what if I want to unlock my iPhone for (temporary) international usage two months into my contract? Will AT&T willingly unlock it?
    Sounds like no.. But depending on where you go you shouldn't need to. Just need an international data plan
    Last edited by SlcCorrado; 03-04-13 at 06:23 PM.
    03-04-13 06:12 PM
    They will give you a temporary unlock code... that will expire..... haven't tried with a US company but i know foreign companies have as i work with people who come from over seas
    03-04-13 06:29 PM
    Not only that, but if you're a regular traveller will your carrier stick you with a fee for "temporarily" unlocking it every time?
    03-04-13 06:45 PM
    I am very encouraged by the positive tone from the White House on this very important issue for all cell phone users who wish to have this flexibility. I would however like to see a resolution to this petition request in the form of quick action to lift the cell phone lock statement. Since this issue is fresh in the minds of all who are involved the threat of criminal action and penalty to users should be addressed by the carriers post haste.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    03-04-13 06:52 PM
    I am very encouraged by the positive tone from the White House on this very important issue for all cell phone users who wish to have this flexibility. I would however like to see a resolution to this petition request in the form of quick action to lift the cell phone lock statement. Since this issue is fresh in the minds of all who are involved the threat of criminal action and penalty to users should be addressed by the carriers post haste.
    In the response they basically say if congress sends them something realistic they will go with it
    03-04-13 06:57 PM
    Doesn't really matter for me I guess cuz I'm on vzw. I guess an international sim would be an issue tho. Hmmmmm interesting.
    03-04-13 07:04 PM
    In the response they basically say if congress sends them something realistic they will go with it
    As indicated by SicCorrado, I'm not so sure that the US government can make ANYTHING happen post haste!

The White House floats the balloon, congress then goes into huddle mode while the party whips negotiate for votes by offering trade-offs for other unrelated pieces of legislation that congessmen want that will benefit their constituency. After a couple of years something comes out all right, but whether it will resemble the original petition or not is another thing.

You have to remember too that the US is all paranoid about terrorists now. How much effect that had on the decision to not support the exemption that allowed unlocking is anybody's guess, but I'm assuming it did.
    03-04-13 07:23 PM
    Not only that, but if you're a regular traveller will your carrier stick you with a fee for "temporarily" unlocking it every time?
    I'll raise you one. The LoC ruling doesn't mandate carriers to cough up the code for free. They'll most likely give it to you free after the contract ends to buttress their position (that it isn't all that bad,) but they're certainly not obligated to do that.
    Majestic Lion likes this.
    03-04-13 08:46 PM
    Doesn't really matter for me I guess cuz I'm on vzw. I guess an international sim would be an issue tho. Hmmmmm interesting.
    Verizon has unlocked every one of my phones about two months after I purchase them on contract. I just call them up and tell them I'm traveling out of the country and have pre paid simple cards to use and they hook it up. No questions asked. I think they just require you to have the phone for two months before unlocking. I've been with them for 12 years so I'm sure they would do it sooner but all of my out of country trips always seem to happen about 2 months that after I get a new phone. Now that I think it about it...when the Z10 releases this month, I'll be traveling to Mexico in May.
    03-05-13 08:51 AM
    Verizon has unlocked every one of my phones about two months after I purchase them on contract. I just call them up and tell them I'm traveling out of the country and have pre paid sim cards to use and they hook it up. No questions asked. I think they just require you to have the phone for two months before unlocking. I've been with them for 12 years so I'm sure they would do it sooner but all of my out of country trips always seem to happen about 2 months that after I get a new phone. Now that I think it about it...when the Z10 releases this month, I'll be traveling to Mexico in May.
    03-05-13 08:54 AM
    Tmobile gives you an unlock code if you request it and it does not expire. I've gotten it several times in the past when i had to travel internationally.

They will give you a temporary unlock code... that will expire..... haven't tried with a US company but i know foreign companies have as i work with people who come from over seas
    03-05-13 11:42 PM
    I'm ignorant of the US rules about phones but can't you just buy a phone from abroad and then choose your best data and minutes package like we can in the UK?

My Z10 originated in the Caribbean I think!

Most of my family are on data an minutes only contracts. We then buy the phones.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 10:01 AM
    Unlocking has become legal now the ban is lifted.
    The ban on third party unlocking, especially without carrier permission is still in place. A White House staffer agreeing with the petitioners doesn't do squat, and the recent agreement didn't address it.

[P]ublic interest groups would still like a permanent change to the copyright law and more flexibility for consumers to unlock their phones before their contracts end - possibly without having to ask the carriers' permission first.
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/4441924/

I'm ignorant of the US rules about phones but can't you just buy a phone from abroad and then choose your best data and minutes package like we can in the UK?
    Yes, you can. You can also buy factory unlocked phones. What you can't do is get a phone from a carrier and unlock it without said carrier's permission. They've agreed to be more reasonable about it, and I totally believe that
    01-11-14 11:13 AM
    The carrier owns that phone until your contract is up if you do not buy it out right. You pay portions of the phone every month on you bill

www.mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735 Posted on my Z30
    01-11-14 06:23 PM
    The carrier owns that phone until your contract is up if you do not buy it out right.
    Actually prior to the recent agreement with the FCC, the carriers weren't really 'under the gun' to unlock outright purchased phones either. I could be wrong, but they still may not be under any compulsion. They just have to respond to your unlock request within two days and unlock it for you if your account is in "good standing."
    01-11-14 08:06 PM
    Actually prior to the recent agreement with the FCC, the carriers weren't really 'under the gun' to unlock outright purchased phones either. I could be wrong, but they still may not be under any compulsion. They just have to respond to your unlock request within two days and unlock it for you if your account is in "good standing."
    In Canada the only way to do it is to go to shops that deal in mobile phones that repair phones and done sell phones. Basically they can't be affiliated with one of the carriers.

www.mikescraftbeer.com - C00012735 Posted on my Z30
    01-11-14 09:12 PM