05-05-12 03:13 AM
31 12
tools
    Like all of you who watched the keynote today, I am happy with BBOS 10, new UI, integrated mailbox, camera features, and so forth.

Afterwards, I had this feeling, Something is amiss here. What disappointed me, no demonstration of new BBM for the new platform.

RIM has promoted BBM connected apps as a great feature for over a year now to developers. How are developers supposed to design BBM connected apps for BBOS 10?

For RIM to release BBOS 10 phone by October/November time frame, the finished product (hardware and software) has to be in Carriers hands by end of June for battery of network tests. So where is the new BBM?
    05-01-12 07:32 PM
    It will be included wait for it.
    05-01-12 07:39 PM
    It's possible that BBM is still very unfinished. RIM has before said that they are having difficulties integrating QNX with BES/BIS. That's why they came out with Mobile Fusion.
    05-01-12 07:55 PM
    the whole purpose of the developer unit is to develop apps on it. It has very limited programs preloaded on it.
    05-01-12 08:02 PM
    When they showed the side bar or whatever it's called where the new msg indicators were it showed bbm messages and he made mention of them. They probably just didn't want to revel it ui just yetm today seemed like it was just a teaser to get us talking and excited.
    mnhockeycoach99 likes this.
    05-01-12 08:04 PM
    there's a session tomorrow at jam that's called how we made bbm with cascades...notice how its "made" and not "we're making." i suspect we will see bbm make a brief appearance tomorrow
    05-01-12 08:10 PM
    i think RIM is just trying to play up the hype by not showing us a lot of things. Honestly, they showed very little features today. They still need time for carrier testings and all that, so if BB10 were to make its debut this oct, it would means that they are pretty close to the final software. Thor did say that they are playing this pretty close to the heart. Also that BB10 will definitely be on time. I remember hearing him they really want to get BB10 right and delivered on time and they are close.

If you look at the posts by Bla1ze at BB10 jam, there seem to be a lot more showing off of BB10 and cascades than at the keynote. Sadly no videos allowed there, which just further shows how they really want to play this close to their heart. not revealing anything to their rivals, and giving the consumers a good surprise. or at least that's how i like to think it. When watching the keynote, you can feel that Thor is truly excited about BB10.

also as mentioned by erodenero, there is a session on how they built BBM with cascades. The keyword, is of course "built". I wouldn't be too worried if i were you. RIM wouldn't be near crazy enough to put out a phone without BBM running silky smooth and with awesome cascades framework.
    05-01-12 08:24 PM
    It wasn't the finished device today
    05-01-12 08:28 PM
    alex_hong are there really no cameras allowed at jam? theres a couple of vids of madden, wikitude and a weather app on youtube, guess this guy was hidin it well! hopefully someone will sneak one into the bbm session lol
    05-01-12 08:31 PM
    They mentioned the physical keyboard but never said if the new devices would have them. I hope they don't make all touch screen devices.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-01-12 08:45 PM
    i think if they scrapped the physical keyboard a lot of their current userbase wouldn't want to upgrade. i personally would miss it, but its not a dealbreaker if the softkeyboard is decent enough.
    The one thing that struck me the wrong way is that they have these stupid commercials where the girl is like "try typing a 1000 emails on a touchscreen" so they effectively bad mouthed any future or current touchscreen blackberry devices. i think that was a bad move seeing how their new os is heavily dependent on touch.
    05-01-12 08:50 PM
    The Alpha technically doesn't run BB10. I do that RIM continues. To update this device as time goes on, primarily so developers have an accurate working enviroment and because this would make a great limited-edition collector's item.
    05-01-12 08:52 PM
    The Alpha technically doesn't run BB10. I do that RIM continues. To update this device as time goes on, primarily so developers have an accurate working enviroment and because this would make a great limited-edition collector's item.
    i would buy it in a second, that being said if anyone wants to sell one.....u know who to contact. i wonder if these will be given out at all the jam sessions on the tour or just at the fl one. If they're coming to toronto i'll be there for sure.
    05-01-12 09:00 PM
    The one thing that struck me the wrong way is that they have these stupid commercials where the girl is like "try typing a 1000 emails on a touchscreen" so they effectively bad mouthed any future or current touchscreen blackberry devices. i think that was a bad move seeing how their new os is heavily dependent on touch.
    The thing about that commercial is, while I agree with it, the market didn't and won't. Its smart they're moving on. They need to make something everyone will buy first and they can make something with buttons for people like me later..
    05-01-12 09:52 PM
    i would buy it in a second, that being said if anyone wants to sell one.....u know who to contact. i wonder if these will be given out at all the jam sessions on the tour or just at the fl one. If they're coming to toronto i'll be there for sure.
    I'd recommend getting an agreement with a developer that you buy him a BB10 device when it comes out. As I think all developers will currently hold onto the Alpha so they can actually develop on it.

I do hope it gets BB10 though, otherwise it would be not a super great phone.
    05-01-12 10:21 PM
    What is a BBM connected app? I have at least one now. Navita. Never having used BBM the significance is lost on me. Sounds like a way to annoy people with vapid drivel, kinda like facebook and twitter.
    05-01-12 10:33 PM
    It why it is call and "aplha Device" ....
    05-01-12 10:40 PM
    I think the wikitude app demo at the Jam session was BBM connected on BB10...it's probably there but definitely not finished.
    05-01-12 11:04 PM
    They showed BBM in the BBWorld keynote. You could see that they had notifications for BBMs in the Universal Inbox. Whether it was simply a mock-up or not is beyond me, but they'll definitely have it by release.
    05-02-12 12:44 AM
    alex_hong are there really no cameras allowed at jam? theres a couple of vids of madden, wikitude and a weather app on youtube, guess this guy was hidin it well! hopefully someone will sneak one into the bbm session lol
    Yeah, according to Bla1ze, taking of video is not allowed. If not we would have seen a lot of videos about it. There was tweets about Accuweather on BB10 that was built with cascades, with amazing transitions. and a lot of other apps as well. I didn't know there were videos, haha. cool, i shall go and see it.
    05-02-12 02:41 AM
    People seem to forget there's today and tomorrow left to announce and show off anything. Like the other post said "How me made BBM using Cascades", not 'how we are making BBM using Cascades'
    05-02-12 05:53 AM
    I'd recommend getting an agreement with a developer that you buy him a BB10 device when it comes out. As I think all developers will currently hold onto the Alpha so they can actually develop on it.

I do hope it gets BB10 though, otherwise it would be not a super great phone.
    They've confirmed the alpha device will not get bb10 upon release, instead devs will be eligible for a trade up with a limited edition bb10 device.
    05-02-12 10:32 AM
    They've confirmed the alpha device will not get bb10 upon release, instead devs will be eligible for a trade up with a limited edition bb10 device.
    ...Ok, that may just be a little more awesome, and with future support!
    05-02-12 05:27 PM
    The RIM internal BB10 devices (demo'ed at the keynote and some of the other sessions) probably has BBM on it in some form. The dev alpha's handed to developers just have a modified PlayBook OS, and so there won't be BBM on there. Hopefully we'll get some more information from those who attended the Jam sessions talking about use of Cascades to make BBM...
    05-02-12 05:30 PM
    It would be great if a video leaked from Jam Session showing BBM cascades UI. I am not sure why RIM keeping it such a secret??
    05-02-12 06:03 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD