06-11-14 03:21 PM
63 123
tools
    It's just his gut feelings. He has been in similar situation before, so I am sure he wasn't just pulling straws from a hat. We all shall soon find out.
    ^this.

And I simply took it to mean that when he first came in he had to take in everything at a very high overview. Now he's had time to drill down,find out where the strengths are and refocus the company.

He has experience in this type of turn around - and so he's expressing his confidence now with what he has to work with.

Posted via CB10
    MobileZen and AthenaSmith like this.
    06-01-14 10:22 PM
    Well, he's the CEO of BlackBerry. Which means he has access to all the data in the company.

The quarter just ended, so by the results he's seen, reasonable for him to declare that statement.

From my viewpoint, since his 50-50 statement was taken way out of context, it's great to use that to his advantage and up the odds.

Posted via CB10
    AthenaSmith likes this.
    06-01-14 10:47 PM
    Well, he's the CEO of BlackBerry. Which means he has access to all the data in the company.

The quarter just ended, so by the results he's seen, reasonable for him to declare that statement.

From my viewpoint, since his 50-50 statement was taken way out of context, it's great to use that to his advantage and up the odds.

Posted via CB10
    Sure that makes sense but if the metrics were bad would he ever say they're bad? As CEO, it would not be good if he were to paint a negative picture of the company at any time, so he's almost obligated to say something neutral (meaning bad) or slightly positive (meaning neutral).
    06-02-14 12:23 AM
    Many factors that we don't know about until (maybe) the earning call where they could be released to us.
    One example, that we do know of is the 1M EZ Pass BES 10 licenses. That's pretty big.
    Nee!...

Posted via CB10
    r0v3rT3N likes this.
    06-02-14 04:02 AM
    Chen seems to be a "shoot from the hip" comments type guy. He'll say anything that people want to hear at the moment.
    JeepBB, chalx and techvisor like this.
    06-02-14 04:31 AM
    Where did the number come from? Pissed off shareholders that knew the 50/50 comment hurt them.
    06-02-14 05:58 AM
    Chen allready mention before when he start the JOB the company was in a bad shape but it was worser than he thought.
    So when he was aked a few months ago " how the company was in shape and will it survive"" he said that it was 50/50.

Now a few months later he see that the company will survice but has some doubt about the hardware. Will blackberry survice "he said that it will also survive without hardware but with lesser profit" So mention 80/20 is normal because saying 100% will mean that they hit him hard when they decided to stop with the hardware in the future. So better to say 80/20
    06-02-14 06:07 AM
    I also want to know how 98% of android apps number has come from. I downloaded line today.. Video calling does not work. Couple of apps that close on splash screen... That may be the 2 %.. But still there is no proof 98% work... I don't see these numbers being real I'm afraid
    As maker of a youtube movie how android will crash you choose apps that will crash not the one that are working. I have 8 apps like netflix, bank , wheather and calling wifi with my dsl and all working. SO no complain yet.
    06-02-14 06:12 AM
    If he pulled the 80/20 number for the same source as the 98% number..... BlackBerry is in trouble.
    techvisor, mornhavon and JeepBB like this.
    06-02-14 08:40 AM
    As maker of a youtube movie how android will crash you choose apps that will crash not the one that are working. I have 8 apps like netflix, bank , wheather and calling wifi with my dsl and all working. SO no complain yet.
    lol n hold on there... i knew id get one of these ridiculoous replies/ to say some of the biggest name apps work so no complaining is exactly what is wrong with crackberry community. ur big name apps are big name to you and many others im sure... but if an app doesnt work for me, that does not make in unimportant. please get real. apps that dont work ARE an issue and it needs to be resolved. all is not well with the app situation ifnetflix works....
    06-02-14 09:11 AM
    lol n hold on there... i knew id get one of these ridiculoous replies/ to say some of the biggest name apps work so no complaining is exactly what is wrong with crackberry community. ur big name apps are big name to you and many others im sure... but if an app doesnt work for me, that does not make in unimportant. please get real. apps that dont work ARE an issue and it needs to be resolved. all is not well with the app situation ifnetflix works....

its not an issue with the community. unfortunately its your issue. Chen says Blackberry will not be a consumer focused company, there's just no way they can compete as one at this point. so they contract out consumer devices to Foxconn and let a small faction in the company work on an emulator that runs android apps. The fact that the ones you want don't work, blackberry could not care less. your voice is too small and as a company that needs money not consumer market share you just don't matter enough. So as you said get real as long as they can hold onto the enterprise market the consumer market will get some love but that's about it

as for the 80/20 number Chen has in site that we don't, he has turned a company around before and probably see's his plans coming together more clearly now
    06-02-14 01:07 PM
    its not an issue with the community. unfortunately its your issue. Chen says Blackberry will not be a consumer focused company, there's just no way they can compete as one at this point. so they contract out consumer devices to Foxconn and let a small faction in the company work on an emulator that runs android apps. The fact that the ones you want don't work, blackberry could not care less. your voice is too small and as a company that needs money not consumer market share you just don't matter enough. So as you said get real as long as they can hold onto the enterprise market the consumer market will get some love but that's about it

as for the 80/20 number Chen has in site that we don't, he has turned a company around before and probably see's his plans coming together more clearly now
    Right.. Everything u said is fine.. But then Chen should not be boasting that 98% of android apps work on blackberry. In fact.. It's actually unlikely that Chen has evidence to back this claim. If you offer a service.. And then boast about it....The customer has the right to complain when they don't get that service. A marketing campaign stating blackberries are android ready is consumer driven. That's how it would come across to me at least.

Anyway... I'm simply arguing against this claim that 98 percent of apps work... It's not that my voice is small.. I agree with u. But people who tell me not to complain cos Netflix works for them is ridiculous... And it was to that I complained about the crackberry community.. Cos u hear this cr*p in every single thread u go to... Denial and satisfaction at mediocrity
    06-02-14 01:29 PM
    Right.. Everything u said is fine.. But then Chen should not be boasting that 98% of android apps work on blackberry. In fact.. It's actually unlikely that Chen has evidence to back this claim. If you offer a service.. And then boast about it....The customer has the right to complain when they don't get that service. A marketing campaign stating blackberries are android ready is consumer driven. That's how it would come across to me at least.

Anyway... I'm simply arguing against this claim that 98 percent of apps work... It's not that my voice is small.. I agree with u. But people who tell me not to complain cos Netflix works for them is ridiculous... And it was to that I complained about the crackberry community.. Cos u hear this cr*p in every single thread u go to... Denial and satisfaction at mediocrity

ever look at google play? i would say maybe a bout 5-10% of those apps are actually good and get use the rest are launchers or fart apps or other crap so when Chen 98% work i really wouldn't doubt it. if he said 98% of apps the general public would actually use id call shenanigans. It is all spin. nothing that come out in the media is the stone cold truth just some version of it.
    06-02-14 01:40 PM
    ever look at google play? i would say maybe a bout 5-10% of those apps are actually good and get use the rest are launchers or fart apps or other crap so when Chen 98% work i really wouldn't doubt it. if he said 98% of apps the general public would actually use id call shenanigans. It is all spin. nothing that come out in the media is the stone cold truth just some version of it.
    Yes, I have an ipad.. And wouldn't download most the apps on this apart from office etc... But the point is, they work. It's not one might, and the other might not. And to hell with the person who uses it... And then.. you see? We told you we'd get Netflix working for u to the other customer. And btw, technically an android app that functions to some extent but doesn't offer integration like recognising the camera for video calls ( line) or no notifications for many other android apps would be classed as a working app.... But this is bogus and should not be boasted about. It's bad marketing, and may just lead to customers rjecting blackberry once more ( those that subscribe to persuasion that blackberry is android ready) . Blackberry need to tread carefuly... And like a previous poster mentioned.. Let's wait for 10.3 and an updated runtime.. Hopefully things will improve. Anyway I think I have gone of topic of the thread itself.. For that I apologise... Although the thread is called where is Chen getting these numbers from... I would like some evidence of the 98 percent of android apps working.m
    06-02-14 01:52 PM
    Honestly, he's just making it up to go along with the narrative that things are improving. I'm not saying they aren't improving (in terms of Business health, not BB10 sales), but the "probability" is not something he ever actually calculated before or at this point.

It should just be interpreted as, so far we have adjusted things and some of them seem to be responding favorably... therefore we have a slightly higher probability of success than before those adjustments were made. (Based on his judgment that the adjustments are positive ones... which could be wrong).

Posted via CB10
    While he probably IS "making it up as he goes along", he can't just make a statement like that with nothing to back it up; not if he's hoping for anymore than a few weeks' worth of goodwill, since we're going to have the earnings call before the end of the month. Chen's credibility is still pretty solid, and I'm sure he knows how valuable that is.

If his view of BlackBerry's prospects really has improved, he needs to discuss his reasons for feeling that way during the earnings call.
    06-02-14 06:22 PM
    Chen seems to be a "shoot from the hip" comments type guy. He'll say anything that people want to hear at the moment.
    I dispute that. Saying he felt the odds were 50/50 was hardly reassuring at the time. Personally, I appreciated his honesty.
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    06-02-14 06:25 PM
    You fool me I can't get fooled again.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using CB Forums mobile app
    06-02-14 10:46 PM
    Is Chen becoming another Thor? Numbers get pulled out of thin air (or orifices) to justify just about anything.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-02-14 10:49 PM
    You fool me I can't get fooled again.
    Or in the words of George W Bush:
    "fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me...you can't get fooled again."
    VR6 and JeepBB like this.
    06-03-14 09:15 AM
    You are probably right but I wouldnt go so far.

There may be no contradictions here. Chen might just merely be looking at the bottom line here and not the actual product portfolio, and the bottom line says they not benefiting as much from consumer focused devices even though they remain firmly part of their product range.

The Z3 is the Curve of BB10 era and is probably worth much less to BBRY considering 1) it lacks BIS 2) part of the cream is shared with Foxconn 3) It is firmly aimed at Indonesia/Asia (thus far at least).

Perhaps the Z3 is aimed at other things namely 1) garnering a bit of mind-share 2) Developing a relationship with Foxconn 3) Testing a new strategy.
    So indeed, Chen might just be looking at the pure figures and accepting their survival for now lies away from consumer products.
    06-03-14 09:16 AM
    I think 98% of android apps is completely plausable.

Play store has over 1.2 million apps so 2 % is 24,000 apps and a good number of this apps are the better more sophisticated apps which may not work.

A vast majority of the working 900k apps are the simpler/fart apps so obviously BlackBerry 10's android runtime can handle those.

I dont think there's any problems with the numbers itself rather its the ratio between popular apps being in the 98% or 2% are not proportionate as there many popular apps in that 2%.

Signature - Google wants your info. What are you gonna do about it?

EDIT: 24k apps not 240k
    Last edited by Q10Nutter; 06-03-14 at 02:47 PM.
    06-03-14 10:51 AM

Play store has over 1.2 million apps so 2 % is 240,000 apps and a good number of this apps are the better more sophisticated apps which may not work.

A vast majority of the working 900k apps are the simpler/fart apps so obviously BlackBerry 10's android runtime can handle those.

I dont think there's any problems with the numbers itself rather its the ratio between popular apps being in the 98% or 2% are not proportionate as there many popular apps in that 2%.

I'm inclined to agree. In fact, I'm pretty sure that since this was a specific, verifiable number that he likely had some kind of internal source for that 98% figure.

Posted from CB10 running on my awesome Z30 2B6927F7
    06-03-14 12:56 PM
    While he probably IS "making it up as he goes along", he can't just make a statement like that with nothing to back it up; not if he's hoping for anymore than a few weeks' worth of goodwill, since we're going to have the earnings call before the end of the month. Chen's credibility is still pretty solid, and I'm sure he knows how valuable that is.

If his view of BlackBerry's prospects really has improved, he needs to discuss his reasons for feeling that way during the earnings call.
    Sure he can make statements without anything to back it up. It is in the BlackBerry CEO handbook. He is going to do and say whatever to implement whatever goals Prem and the board have set for him.

Posted with a BlackBerry Z10
    06-03-14 01:22 PM

Play store has over 1.2 million apps so 2 % is 240,000 apps and a good number of this apps are the better more sophisticated apps which may not work.

I agree that the 2% sure seems to be some of the more important Apps. So while his numbers might be correct, anyone buying a BB10 device on his "word" and finding that they can't install three or four apps out of the ten they try. Will only mean another device returned to a carrier.... and another vote for removing BlackBerry from the shelf.

I still don't buy the Instagram or Netflix won't build and support an app, for no amount of money. There is a price, I would rather BlackBerry invested in paying that price for the top 50 apps than continue to "develop" the Android compatibility of BB10. I will say that at this point the price has gone up from what it would have been 24 or 18 months ago. I don't think any one expected BB10 to do as badly as it has so far. I'm sure Instagram can look at the the data collected by their app, they now know exactly how many BB10 users are on Instagram.
    mornhavon and JeepBB like this.
    06-03-14 02:23 PM
    Or in the words of George W Bush:
    "fool me once, shame on...shame on you. Fool me...you can't get fooled again."
    The first man in history to be confused between the Spinners and the Who.
    06-03-14 02:33 PM
63 123