06-12-15 05:00 PM
54 123
tools
    I've been making my own smart watches lately. Pebble is a choice, but remember, BlackBerry doesn't want the smartwatch wearing person to but their phones. They want old business people that can't do anything more than open emails with their phones. Somehow they decided that will be their silver bullet.

Seriously though if you want a smartwatch that does more, do what I do, build one and code an app for it. It isn't too challenging - took me a few weeks. Thank

Posted to CB via my Passport | FileArchiveHaven
    Sounds interesting, got any pics?

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 10:45 AM
    Couldn't disagree more, love my pebble watch. Gives great notifications. The screen is always on, no blank screens here. Has some apps if you must play and play with it. Amazing. But, I'm not the type of person who would talk into their watch, ever. Nor would I use it as a camera or any other crap like that. I like watches, have quite a few and while the original pebble isn't a thing of beauty, with custom watch faces and what not it isn't bad at all. It has amazing battery life, count days not hours, and that alone makes it a proper watch much more than the others. I couldn't handle a watch that couldn't get through a days use, thats just never going to happen. If one looks into it as well, we have a few developers that are kicking *** and taking names with support for the pebble.

Used they are like 50 bucks, totally worth a try. Light, comfortable, very waterproof, a great product.
    05-26-15 12:34 PM
    I've been making my own smart watches lately. Pebble is a choice, but remember, BlackBerry doesn't want the smartwatch wearing person to but their phones. They want old business people that can't do anything more than open emails with their phones. Somehow they decided that will be their silver bullet.

Seriously though if you want a smartwatch that does more, do what I do, build one and code an app for it. It isn't too challenging - took me a few weeks. Thank

Sounds interesting, got any pics?

Posted via CB10

Yeah, got any pics?
    05-26-15 12:48 PM
    Pebble Time Steel

Attachment 354575

My thoughts exactly when I saw that lol

Apple Watch

Attachment 354577

Posted via CB10
    05-26-15 12:48 PM
    Pebble Time Steel

Attachment 354575

Apple Watch

Attachment 354577

Posted via CB10
    That watch isnt even out yet, correct??
    05-26-15 01:11 PM
    That watch isnt even out yet, correct??
    True. Pebble Time shipments start this week, Steel in July.
    05-26-15 01:29 PM
    True. Pebble Time shipments start this week, Steel in July.
    Then how are people saying its so good, when they havent even tried it yet?? Only time will tell...heck, they might not even work with BB!
    05-26-15 01:35 PM
    I use a Mio Fuse activity bracelet, that's as much tech that I want on my wrist.

Posted from my Kick@ss AT&T Passport.
    05-26-15 01:51 PM
    I feel that it is stupid to have to charge something so frequently and still be a fitness tracker. As Android Wear and Apple Watch users would attest, when it comes to battery life, Pebble eats those devices for breakfast.
    ExplicitPromo likes this.
    05-26-15 10:07 PM
    Hey guys, my Timex takes a licking, and keeps on ticking!!

05-26-15 10:10 PM
    I feel that it is stupid to have to charge something so frequently and still be a fitness tracker. As Android Wear and Apple Watch users would attest, when it comes to battery life, Pebble eats those devices for breakfast.
    I charge my Mio Fuse once per week, typically every Sunday night.

Powdah likes this.
    05-26-15 10:12 PM
    U know what I meant, I can't figure out how to edit the title!

Posted on my New BlackBerry Classic

I changed the title in to a question to try to make it more useful, and less (how shall I put this) inflammatory!
    05-27-15 08:58 AM
    I wonder if the pebble time will work with talk2watch app??

Posted via CB10
    05-27-15 09:05 AM
    Play Nice, Be Helpful, and have Respect!
    This means keep the language clean, keep your posts polite, and don’t get into arguments over dumb things. If somebody responds to a thread you posted in poor fashion, ignore it, and the moderation team will quickly clean it up (you can always message or email a moderator at any time if you observe anything that is in poor taste/against the rules). Think back to what your parentals and teachers used to lecture - if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.
    Always remember that we are all unique and at different levels here - some of us are experienced BlackBerry users and forum junkies, while others are just starting out. If you’re on the experienced side, have patience for those just joining in on the fun and be helpful. With a little patience and a little help they won’t be newbies for long. Also remember that it is our differences that keeps this place interesting. If everyone was from the same place and at the same experience level it would be boring. This is a worldwide community united by a common interest - our love, or addiction as some would call it, for the BlackBerry!
    05-27-15 09:07 AM

Start selling them to us lol

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.2.798 CB10
    06-09-15 08:49 AM

So give us some screen shots of what you built and what it can do.....
    06-09-15 10:00 AM
    Being that it is a prototype, hopefully you won't get too angry if it doesn't look as fancy as the Pebble or the iWatch.

Also, there are other watches available, check out the forums on Connectedly. http://forums.connectedly.com/smartwatches-f147/
    06-09-15 03:20 PM
    Not many watches have APIs.
    If money was no object, then my preferred smartwatch would be a Kairos.

When will BB give us an alternative to ugly Pebble Watches?-chrome_spec.png

Not only do you have the option of a smartwatch, they also have smartbands.
    Personally, I think BlackBerry should buy them.

Attached Thumbnails When will BB give us an alternative to ugly Pebble Watches?-ssw_design_large.png  
    06-09-15 04:03 PM
    Oh, as Dean said, it's ugly as sin . In the photo, I put my pebble for comparison and an tinyduino gamepad to compare.

Top right is the Mark I, it's much wider based on digispark (Arduino micro). Works off of BT and WiFi.

To the left is the Mark II based on TinyDuino. It only goes off of BT but has a better size to it. Closer to the pebble but a bit thicker.

Currently working on Mark III, which isn't shown - its in pieces on a breadboard atm.

I was kind of kidding about the DIY aspect. I've been to busy lately to finish the Mark III and the II is a bit too tall, so I've reverted to my pebble lately.

As for what they can do, I didn't put much into them. Some custom games and some BT notification handling. Anything you can do as an app developer. I suppose I'll probably add better media controls to it soon.

When will BB give us an alternative to ugly Pebble Watches?-img_20150609_141612.jpg

clickitykeys likes this.
    06-09-15 04:22 PM
    Not many watches have APIs.
    If money was no object, then my preferred smartwatch would be a Kairos.

Not only do you have the option of a smartwatch, they also have smartbands.
    Personally, I think BlackBerry should buy them.
    Those look bad-@$$

Last edited by KermEd; 06-09-15 at 04:50 PM.
    06-09-15 04:26 PM
    Assuming those users even know what the Pebble is, which is far from certain.
    06-09-15 11:54 PM
    I cannot get my Z10 to pair. Did you have any issues? What app are you using to sync with.

thks

I use a Mio Fuse activity bracelet, that's as much tech that I want on my wrist.

06-10-15 02:43 PM
    Of course they suck you're just realising this now?

I'm kidding but I agree they suck inmho

Posted by BlackBerry accept no compromise!
    OT:
    Fully agree with your signature, just some punctuation missing!

  Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!  
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    06-11-15 02:40 AM
    Here is you alternative http://blogs.blackberry.com/2015/03/...inkId=14835622

Posted via Z30
    06-11-15 08:44 AM
    I am looking forward to the Time Steel. To me a smartwatch should just do tasks where taking my phone out takes too long (like preview incoming messages and control music) and the Pebbles do seem to be able to do that. Since I will be sticking with my Z30 for the indefinite future (aside from the lack of a replacement this phone is effectively perfect) I can save up for a Time Steel (every other model is ugly)
    06-11-15 09:52 AM
54 123