I think I remember last year maybe around the holidays or valentine's day Telus had a bunch of the brand new smartphones for $0 on 3 year contract, does anyone know if they will have it again soon? Don't want to sound like a cheap *** but I want to get the Z30 when it's discounted as I need a phone with a battery that lasts the whole day. I still have a $389 balance on my Z10 plus $130+tax is gonna be really expensive for me to upgrade since I'm just a high school graduate.

What do you guys think? Should we expect any price drop on the brand new smartphones towards the holiday season?

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 01:24 AM
    There usually is a price drop but a free Z30 on contract might be a bit soon.
    10-31-13 01:41 AM
    Won't be any more 3 year terms and hardly doubt the latest smartphones will be zero, usually the phones are older models but brand new devices

Q10 running10.2.1.641 leak and loving it!
    10-31-13 01:43 AM
    Won't be any more 3 year terms and hardly doubt the latest smartphones will be zero, usually the phones are older models but brand new devices

Q10 running10.2.1.641 leak and loving it!
    That's why I'm saying if anyone remember last year's promotions the latest smartphones were zero dollars for like a day or two

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 08:26 AM
    That's why I'm saying if anyone remember last year's promotions the latest smartphones were zero dollars for like a day or two

Posted via CB10
    Contracts were three years then though. On two year contracts, they have to get more profit out of the phone sale, as opposed to getting to amortize it over three years.
    10-31-13 08:58 AM
    I guess a day or two of having them for $0 isn't really gonna hurt, if anything I heard carriers make more money on locking people Down on contracts.

Posted via CB10
    10-31-13 09:27 AM
    I never really understood why it was force upon the Canadian carriers to get rid of 3 year contracts. Now there seem to be less choice for the consumer. Maybe people were thinking that they will be able to get a phone on a 2 year plan at the same price as a 3 year plan phone.
    10-31-13 11:58 AM
    I never really understood why it was force upon the Canadian carriers to get rid of 3 year contracts. Now there seem to be less choice for the consumer. Maybe people were thinking that they will be able to get a phone on a 2 year plan at the same price as a 3 year plan phone.
    It's so that people aren't stuck for the third year with no options for an upgrade. Now it will cost maybe an extra $50 up front but that is far better than the cancelation fees they had before to upgrade before your 3 years was up.
    10-31-13 03:50 PM
    It's so that people aren't stuck for the third year with no options for an upgrade. Now it will cost maybe an extra $50 up front but that is far better than the cancelation fees they had before to upgrade before your 3 years was up.
    But they had 2 year plans before. You just pay more for the phone. So what's changed?
    10-31-13 06:43 PM
    But they had 2 year plans before. You just pay more for the phone. So what's changed?
    You now pay significantly less for the phone on a 2 year term now than you did before. That's the main thing that changed. For example, before it used to be that buying a phone like the Z10 would have cost only $100 less than its month to month term price ($650 down to $550) when buying on a 2 hear contract, while a price of $50 on a 3 year term was easier on the average person's wallet. Now, a price of $50 or even free on a 2 year term is achievable. The down side is the price each month on your plan does increase.

OP, while I don't know exactly when anything would go on sale, especially a $0 Z30 just yet, in would say near any major holidays, keep your eyes on pricing of the device of your choice. That is when sales tend to happen, but it may be a while before we see the Z30 hit $0.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10

Edit: all the stuff for the OP is strictly personal thought, I have no insight whatsoever unfortunately.
    10-31-13 07:54 PM