OK. Who really knows anything? Kevin?

I keep reading members all over the forum stating there will be no more touch screen only blackberry's per Chen. So like they are going back to pkb only with touch screen? After the Jakarta of course.

If this is false I wish someone would get the message sent out so we don't all have to constantly see people saying that.

So which is it?

Only pkb phones from now on? This year? This year and next?

Or only the Jakarta for the rest of this year and more to come next year? No more ever?
    antikorr, FrankIAm and eldricho like this.
    04-07-14 11:06 AM
    Highly unlikely. Worst case scenario is Foxconn handling touchscreens and BlackBerry handling qwerty.
    04-07-14 11:30 AM
    Let's hope they keep making full touch beasts. Otherwise would mean "well, we tried to fight, but we couldn't, so we're settling down with what we have".

BlackBerry 101 - Help Channel
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-07-14 11:34 AM
    Chen has only made 2 upcoming devices "official": the Z3 in May and the Q20 "Classic" in November. He's made references to later phones, but nothing concrete in either specs or release dates. For now, anyone who knows more than that is almost certainly under an NDA.
    04-07-14 12:39 PM
    I'm sure that they believe that the Z30 will fill the high-end until next fall with the Z10 and Z3 filling whatever portion of the market they can.

Most likely Chen is taking a wait and see attitude with hardware at this point. In five or six months the "plan" will have to be reevaluated - they can NOT continue to lose money on hardware.
    04-07-14 01:56 PM
    I'm sure that they believe that the Z30 will fill the high-end until next fall with the Z10 and Z3 filling whatever portion of the market they can.

Most likely Chen is taking a wait and see attitude with hardware at this point. In five or six months the "plan" will have to be reevaluated - they can NOT continue to lose money on hardware.
    True. As we know with BBRY no one knows what they are going to do.

It's just been sounding around here like they will only make pkb phones if any at all.

Not the end of the world.
    04-07-14 04:19 PM
    The Z30 has me excited about whatever full touch phones they could create. It's like tied with my Q10 as being my favorite BlackBerry of all time.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-07-14 05:50 PM
    Guess it is wait and see on all counts.
    04-08-14 08:07 AM
    The Z30 has me excited about whatever full touch phones they could create. It's like tied with my Q10 as being my favorite BlackBerry of all time.
    Whatever touchscreen device they bake in 2015, I'm buying.

All the Zs so far have shown that they can do qwerty-free quality devices.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 08:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    I know. The kb on this thing is better than when I had my tour. Sure it's glass but the thing just corrects 98% of my typos and predicts what I want to type at a high success rate.
    04-08-14 08:36 AM
    I don't see touchscreens going the way of the dinosaur with BlackBerry. The market is to huge for them to just drop them all together. I feel that they are smart Making a lower tier (Z3) touch to compete with the windows and androids out there. Then the current Z30 to compete with the other Android models on the market.

I love my Zed10 and I hope that they keep updating the OS so it can be a true contender against the iPhone which I feel that if has the ability to given some work.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-09-14 12:32 PM

I love my Zed10 and I hope that they keep updating the OS so it can be a true contender against the iPhone which I feel that if has the ability to given some work.

Posted via CB10
    OS or ecosystem?

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 12:48 PM
    OS or ecosystem?

Posted via CB10
    Ecosystem is there, just not as tightly integrated. We can buy all our media consumption needs from our devices, they just don't come from the same store. I prefer that, makes it easier to move data around. I can have an Apple table, Samsung TV, BlackBerry phone and still have all my stuff work on all devices.

@JAGWIRE, The Z10 already stands its own against other devices. If you load either Snap or Amazon AppStore, you pretty much solve the app issue, so that is out of the equation. Hardware will always fall behind with time so not much can be done there (i.e. Miracast/WiFi Direct). But if you ask me, the Z10 is already matching the rest of them.

Ij just never got as much marketing behind it as the competition does.
    04-09-14 01:28 PM
    Ecosystem is there, just not as tightly integrated. We can buy all our media consumption needs from our devices, they just don't come from the same store. I prefer that, makes it easier to move data around. I can have an Apple table, Samsung TV, BlackBerry phone and still have all my stuff work on all devices.

@JAGWIRE, The Z10 already stands its own against other devices. If you load either Snap or Amazon AppStore, you pretty much solve the app issue, so that is out of the equation. Hardware will always fall behind with time so not much can be done there (i.e. Miracast/WiFi Direct). But if you ask me, the Z10 is already matching the rest of them.

I wouldn't go that far. There are plenty of android apps that work, kind of work and don't work at all. One example is the xfinity app for Comcast. I can do everything but watch or download a movie. When I try it goes "poof" I'm gone.
    04-09-14 01:34 PM
    I think Chen is giving too much emphasis on the keyboard. I do know personally two 50 +/- law firms that started with BB, went to Android and now are switching to Iphones - all because the younger generation wants them. The keyboard work force is getting older and going away IMHO.

I would be interested to know what the age demographics are for keyboarders vs touch screen.

As a BB fan over the age of 60, I went through a Storm, Storm 2, then a Bold, while waiting for my Z10. I disliked the Bold more than the problematic Storms. My fingers were too big to be efficient.

I want a high spec, larger screen workhorse. I run my business out of my phone and tablet. I also want a Playbook 2 or at least Mirrorlink to work on my 7 - 8" tablet.
    FrankIAm likes this.
    04-09-14 01:42 PM

Posted via CB10
    Gotta agree with this!
    Bringing out the Z10 they got much of their userbase of pkb and onto vkb. You can't make them love touchscreen phones and then just go and make pkb and they'll just go back to them. If they can't get their next touchscreen out, these Z costumers will most likely go and search for their all-touch solution elsewhere, as they already got accustomed to it

I'm jumping on the first high end all-touch if I hear more about it before August, otherwise it'll be the Z30 for me

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and Azensun like this.
    04-09-14 02:10 PM
    True. As we know with BBRY no one knows what they are going to do.

It's just been sounding around here like they will only make pkb phones if any at all.

Not the end of the world.
    That's not gonna happen, Chen stated more KB phones (I think predominantly was his word), but not that all-touch is gonna go away...

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-09-14 04:53 PM
    Gotta agree with this!
    Bringing out the Z10 they got much of their userbase of pkb and onto vkb. You can't make them love touchscreen phones and then just go and make pkb and they'll just go back to them. If they can't get their next touchscreen out, these Z costumers will most likely go and search for their all-touch solution elsewhere, as they already got accustomed to it

I'm jumping on the first high end all-touch if I hear more about it before August, otherwise it'll be the Z30 for me

Posted via CB10
    Hope to snap one up @ a discount...

"No Q10?" -> "Buy from Chen... "
    eldricho likes this.
    04-09-14 04:54 PM
    I can honestly say that if BlackBerry goes with all physical keyboards, then I am leaving the platform altogether. I prefer all touch and I am sure there are others that agree. Furthermore, if BlackBerry exits the hardware business, I am also jumping ship because at that point, there is not much that "distinguishes" BlackBerry from the competition.

Posted via CB10
    FrankIAm likes this.
    04-09-14 11:55 PM
    I think that BlackBerry will have one more try with touch flagship, and it will be some 64bit beast in 2015. If they flump there, they will leave hardware business aka sell it.
    For me, i don't use kb phones , and would like to see more touch bb's

Posted via CB10
    04-10-14 02:42 AM
    I think Chen is giving too much emphasis on the keyboard. I do know personally two 50 +/- law firms that started with BB, went to Android and now are switching to Iphones - all because the younger generation wants them. The keyboard work force is getting older and going away IMHO.

I would be interested to know what the age demographics are for keyboarders vs touch screen.

As a BB fan over the age of 60, I went through a Storm, Storm 2, then a Bold, while waiting for my Z10. I disliked the Bold more than the problematic Storms. My fingers were too big to be efficient.

I want a high spec, larger screen workhorse. I run my business out of my phone and tablet. I also want a Playbook 2 or at least Mirrorlink to work on my 7 - 8" tablet.
    I agree and being 58 years old and wearing glasses, I cannot use a physical keyboard anymore because my fingers don't move as good as they used to. I prefer a touchscreen device and at my age, a 5" screen would be perfect for reading text and viewing my emails.

I know allot of folks who used to use the physical keyboards back then and now are on touchscreen devices and are not looking back.

Go into any store and see how many devices that have physical keyboards, the answer is none, Blackberry devices are used by a very small niche group and not enough to support long term sales, as least here in the USA where touchscreen devices are the norm, Just my two cents.

Sent using CB Forum App
    kbz1960 and FrankIAm like this.
    04-10-14 04:53 AM

I have Snap send I find it not as user friendly as BB WORLD. Also I found the same thing with the apps they are very much hit and miss. Also idk if it'd just me buy the icons don't match a lot of the time.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    04-10-14 08:00 AM
    Sounds like if they don't start making money off of phones they will quit making them.
    04-10-14 08:04 AM