07-23-13 03:21 PM
44 12
tools
    I love the size and style of the Z10, I hope they continue the series. I would upgrade mine...but not for another year or two.
    07-19-13 03:32 PM
    Blackberry has made it clear there will be 6 BB10 devices in 2013. With the Z10, Q10, Q5 and "A10" confirmed that leaves two.

Wouldn't it be reasonable that the Z10 successor will pop out this year? Keep in mind that the Z10 has the specs of the Galaxy S 3. With the new iphone imminent and the Galaxy S *4* approaching 6 months of age the Z10 is ridiculously outdated in terms of hardware relative to its price.

A "Z5" would also be complicated for Blackberry to release, because the earliest such a phone could come out would be end of the year considering the lack of leaks. So how could Blackberry release a phone at the end of 2013 that is supposed to be "low-end" when by that time the Z10 itself will be considered low-end...
    "VWhat are the odds of a Z10 successor this year?"

The more pertinent question:
    What are the odds of a Z10 savior this year?
    07-20-13 05:00 AM
    Z10 isn't selling. Q1 results showed that clearly.
    Q10 will sell better but is selling into the existing "I luvz my keyboard" crowd (count me in there).
    A10 - will see. Needs to truly differentiate itself from the Z10. I've seen the specs.

If the Z10 sales (even at a discounted price) still stink, there may not be the need for a successor.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-20-13 06:13 AM
    Z10 isn't selling. Q1 results showed that clearly.
    Q10 will sell better but is selling into the existing "I luvz my keyboard" crowd (count me in there).
    A10 - will see. Needs to truly differentiate itself from the Z10. I've seen the specs.

If the Z10 sales (even at a discounted price) still stink, there may not be the need for a successor.
    I not so sure that the Q10 will sell better than the Z10. Heins originally said BB10 touch would outsell BB10 keyboard by 3 to 1. While Heins badly misunderstood the market there, I think he is correct that Z would outsell Q but not by that huge margin.

A few reasons why I think this.

Shipments have been cut down to 1 million per month for *all* BB10 devices. The Z10 by itself sold almost 1 million per month.

Buzz. I also feel that the buzz for Q10 is a mere fraction of what it was for Z10. Q5 has been universally described, even by BB fans, as overpriced.

The Z10 also had the advantage of anticipation, media attention, the launch event, and high hopes. Q10 and Q5 would have to contend with the stigma of failure (just take a look at the post June 28 articles) as well as seeing the Z10 in the discount bin.
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-20-13 07:40 AM
    The only reason the Z10 had any buzz was it had first mover advantage. No need to have another (lack of) marketing discussion. The Q10 had no buzz. I am not sure that the Z10 sold 1mm a month, as BBRY chooses not to discusses shipments by model. I guess we will find out in 2+ months assuming they will give out any figures at all (I am sure cash on hand will be mentioned).

Q10 has the undeniable appeal of the keyboard. That's about it.

And with the Z10 in the discount bin, why would anyone buy a Z5 (mentioned in other threads).
    JeepBB likes this.
    07-20-13 08:44 AM
    Z10 is about as large of a phone as I want. Anything bigger would be much less easier for me to use with BB10.

Posted via CB10
    07-20-13 11:15 AM
    With Blackbery's current bb10 portfolio a failure, they better be ready for the coming bloodbath this Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    07-21-13 04:34 AM
    Z10 is about as large of a phone as I want. Anything bigger would be much less easier for me to use with BB10.
    Exactly why I want to upgrade to a Z10 (or, a Z10 v.2 if it's coming).

I'm getting a little scared for BB. I've always been a supporter and I am a stockholder. Post Z10 launch, things looked and sounded good with plenty of buzz. Now, post June 28, things are sounding a lot more negative. Where I'm scared is the Z10 really is a good entry into the all-touch market and BB10 is an innovative, new OS, and the market just doesn't seem to care. My worry is management ditches or plays down the all-touch form factor in favour of the keyboard, although the mass market prefers all touch. I'm not convinced the keyboard form factor has enough market share to keep BB in the game.

Might just upgrade to the Z10 instead of waiting, my 9810 is driving me nuts lately.
    07-21-13 08:13 AM
    Exactly why I want to upgrade to a Z10 (or, a Z10 v.2 if it's coming).

I'm getting a little scared for BB. I've always been a supporter and I am a stockholder. Post Z10 launch, things looked and sounded good with plenty of buzz. Now, post June 28, things are sounding a lot more negative. Where I'm scared is the Z10 really is a good entry into the all-touch market and BB10 is an innovative, new OS, and the market just doesn't seem to care. My worry is management ditches or plays down the all-touch form factor in favour of the keyboard, although the mass market prefers all touch. I'm not convinced the keyboard form factor has enough market share to keep BB in the game.

Might just upgrade to the Z10 instead of waiting, my 9810 is driving me nuts lately.
    I upgraded from a 9900 to a Z10 and love it. Virtual keyboard is phenomenal and the app capabilites and quality are so much better than BBOS. When some people I was drinking with the other night saw me unlocking the phone with the swipe they were asking me what kind of phone has that feature. My biggest concern was business travel overseas, but I'm on my first business trip in Germany with it now and all I had to do was get the phone unlocked before I left, popped in a prepaid SIM with unlimited data that I bought at airport, and I have my BBM and everything works (no BlackBerry specific SIM required).

I don't think BlackBerry will up the hardware in the next gen too much to not prematurely ROL the Z10, or at least I hope not, so I say stop waiting and jump in. After using BB10 on the Z10 I know that I would not be able to operate the gestures on an A10 easily.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 10:41 AM
    Z10 can be smaller if the bezels weren't so big and no they are not a necessity for gestures because it is software screen edge detection.
    07-21-13 11:25 AM
    There will be no Z10 successor this year. The A10 is not meant to be the Z10 successor.

More likely than not, we'll see a Z10 successor come around January.
    07-21-13 11:28 AM
    Z10 can be smaller if the bezels weren't so big and no they are not a necessity for gestures because it is software screen edge detection.
    You've clearly never tried using your Z10 with the OtterBox Defender. I literally have to bend the side of the case out of my way to access the side bezels for certain gestures (i.e. if you're viewing a message in the Hub and want to swipe out of the Hub without closing the message, you need that bezel). The case leaves some space for the bottom bezel, but even so you have to adjust the way you swipe up accordingly. It is absolutely not software screen edge detection, or else BlackBerry wouldn't bother wasting money on a touch-sensitive bezel. I do think that they could probably make the bottom and top bezels a little smaller, but the side bezels are already so small that a sizable case gets in the way of them.
    07-21-13 11:33 AM
    You've clearly never tried using your Z10 with the OtterBox Defender. I literally have to bend the side of the case out of my way to access the side bezels for certain gestures (i.e. if you're viewing a message in the Hub and want to swipe out of the Hub without closing the message, you need that bezel). The case leaves some space for the bottom bezel, but even so you have to adjust the way you swipe up accordingly. It is absolutely not software screen edge detection, or else BlackBerry wouldn't bother wasting money on a touch-sensitive bezel. I do think that they could probably make the bottom and top bezels a little smaller, but the side bezels are already so small that a sizable case gets in the way of them.
    I can swipe out from the hub just fine not starting from the bezel in landscape mode;. If you used android, there's many other apps that can use software based implement to achieve the same thing such as pie controls and quick controls in the default browser which use screen edge detection. The PlayBook has a touch sensitive bezel, not the z10. I can make a video to show this. I can access settings in an app from the top pull down gesture without starting from the bezel and only the edge of the screen. On the PlayBook it's not possible.
    07-21-13 12:24 PM
    I can swipe out from the hub just fine not starting from the bezel in landscape mode;. If you used android, there's many other apps that can use software based implement to achieve the same thing such as pie controls and quick controls in the default browser which use screen edge detection. The PlayBook has a touch sensitive bezel, not the z10. I can make a video to show this. I can access settings in an app from the top pull down gesture without starting from the bezel and only the edge of the screen. On the PlayBook it's not possible.
    If you're close to the edge of the screen, you could well be sending a signal to the bezel without realizing it. Having said that, there probably is some software detection involved, but there is definitely a touch-sensitive bezel at play here - any OtterBox owners can vouch for this, because blocking the bezels definitely requires you to adjust the way you use your device, and as I said it even blocks certain gestures altogether. I'm afraid you may not understand until you try the case for yourself.
    07-21-13 01:03 PM
    I probably won't ever because that is one bulky case. I have a Q10 as well, and clearly by using it it's too easy to swipe out? Why? Even when scrolling by doing the gesture from bottom up I can swipe out of the app without touching the bottom bezel. Another hint that it's not hardware implementation. If anything, the Q10 is proof that the Z10 could have had a thinner bottom bezel; the problem with the Q10 is that is screen is too small and it's too easy to trigger the home gesture by accident without touching the bezel. Try this yourself with the Z10, cover the bottom bezel with a cardboard or plastic thick enough, home gesture still works perfect.
    07-21-13 01:22 PM
    As far as successors go, as others have said already, it's too early this year for a direct Z10 successor, but we will see the A10 before long, and that phone my give us some clues about what the future of the Z10 holds. I'm very interested to see the advent of OS 10.2 and the new design features of the new phone. I'm still crossing my fingers that we'll see another tablet this year. I really want a tablet that can keep up with my phone!!!

Posted via CB10
    07-22-13 12:32 AM
    Blackberry has made it clear there will be 6 BB10 devices in 2013. With the Z10, Q10, Q5 and "A10" confirmed that leaves two.

Wouldn't it be reasonable that the Z10 successor will pop out this year? Keep in mind that the Z10 has the specs of the Galaxy S 3. With the new iphone imminent and the Galaxy S *4* approaching 6 months of age the Z10 is ridiculously outdated in terms of hardware relative to its price.

A "Z5" would also be complicated for Blackberry to release, because the earliest such a phone could come out would be end of the year considering the lack of leaks. So how could Blackberry release a phone at the end of 2013 that is supposed to be "low-end" when by that time the Z10 itself will be considered low-end...
    This thread is useless. Successor is A10. Close thread please.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by rajbir01; 07-23-13 at 12:41 PM.
    07-23-13 11:10 AM
    Because then the z11 which was just posted on the front page as the A10 will be released

My PlayBook? Very useful in the shower as a radio and notepad
    07-23-13 11:17 AM
    This thread is useless. Successor is A10. Close thread please.

Posted via CB10
    no its not
    07-23-13 03:21 PM
44 12