This is kinda a joke, but it crossed my mind.

I don't know the background to Snap and I apologise to the developers hard work. But what crossed my mind was:

What if BlackBerry developed Snap?
    - They created an APK installer that could install Android apps directly on the phone. But without access to PlayStore a lot of apps are unaccesssable...
    - By unofficially "creating" access to PlayStore through BB10 they have now opened users to a wide array of apps without the legal blah blah blah...
    - They don't allow the app to be downloaded via BlackBerry World therefore showing they had no part in it

I am not a conspiracy theory kind of guy but it has crossed my mind and wanted to think what others thought.

Bla1ze please send a tinfoil hat my way, lol

Brian
    giorgoskyropoulos and ATMJOE like this.
    02-02-14 11:12 PM
    If BlackBerry had done it, someone would have figured it out and Google would probably have sued then for accessing the proprietary Play Store servers without permission.
    rnhld, Troy Tiscareno and eldricho like this.
    02-02-14 11:50 PM
    nooo... because James Paul Muir created it as it was annoying for him to manually download apks.
    Mecca EL, jakie55 and brian4591 like this.
    02-03-14 12:04 AM
    Would the app ever be accepted by BlackBerry World?

Posted via my Z30.
    02-03-14 12:17 AM
    Nope, it breaks the Google PlayStore Terms Of Agreement as far as I know.

That's why if BlackBerry did make it they would cover their tracks or pay a developer to do it for them.

Again, put the tin foil hats on for this one

Posted via CB10
    balexus and giorgoskyropoulos like this.
    02-03-14 12:23 AM
    Strange that we went from BlackBerry starting to lock the Android Runtime on may of those early leaked builds of 10.1. The need to install a Key and the use that key to convert APK to BAR and then Sideload the BAR file.... and then renew the key ever 30 days would have killed BB10 for many people. To a fully unlocked runtime that can install APK Apps directly.... seems there was a major shift.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 05:50 AM
    We would have heard about it along time before it was released and we'd still be waiting for it.
    propeller10 and merli001 like this.
    02-03-14 05:59 AM
    We would have heard about it along time before it was released and we'd still be waiting for it.
    HAR HAR HAR, you're so funny. You must be an a jerry seinfeld prodigy.
    02-03-14 09:07 PM
    This is kinda a joke, but it crossed my mind.

I don't know the background to Snap and I apologise to the developers hard work. But what crossed my mind was:

What if BlackBerry developed Snap?
    - They created an APK installer that could install Android apps directly on the phone. But without access to PlayStore a lot of apps are unaccesssable...
    - By unofficially "creating" access to PlayStore through BB10 they have now opened users to a wide array of apps without the legal blah blah blah...
    - They don't allow the app to be downloaded via BlackBerry World therefore showing they had no part in it

I am not a conspiracy theory kind of guy but it has crossed my mind and wanted to think what others thought.

Bla1ze please send a tinfoil hat my way, lol

Brian
    I'm definitely not employed or contracted in any way by BlackBerry, just an indie developer with a day job of my own.

I do like the conspiracy theory though
    02-05-14 09:57 PM
    I'm definitely not employed or contracted in any way by BlackBerry, just an indie developer with a day job of my own.

I must say you are good. Thanks for the app.
    02-05-14 10:07 PM

Well then, Thank You good sir!

Now Kevin can you tell your good friend Mr. Chen to slip a couple $1000 bills in the mailbox to this fine gentleman. If he can, make them $1000 US bills.... Canadian ones aren't doing so good.....
    jamespaulmuir likes this.
    02-05-14 11:30 PM
    Lemme find my tin foil hat. Lol

Sent from the best touch keyboard, the Z.
    02-06-14 08:31 AM
    Snap is so good! I bought a game on google.play online and then downloaded it on snap2chat. Worked perfectly. The developers of snap2chat need to figure out a way of allowing payments to be made directly in snap..

Posted via CB10
    02-06-14 10:02 AM
    This is one of the better conspiracy theories I've seen on crackberry. Most conspiracies people post here are terrible.
    brian4591 likes this.
    02-06-14 10:10 AM

He's right,hes not working for BlackBerry.
    He work for government on behalf of nsa!
    /s

Better android than android. The future is black....
    02-06-14 03:52 PM
    Snap is so good! I bought a game on google.play online and then downloaded it on snap2chat. Worked perfectly. The developers of snap2chat need to figure out a way of allowing payments to be made directly in snap..

Posted via CB10
    That's cool

Posted via CB10 on my ?Zed10
    02-06-14 10:55 PM
    All Blackberry did was build the support. they knew that someone or another would build a Play port, or at the bare minimum third-party stores would work.
    02-06-14 11:28 PM
    OP is really George Noory

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    02-07-14 11:49 PM
    OP is really George Noory

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    I had to look up who George Noory is, lol. I am far from anything like him.

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 12:25 AM
    Strange that we went from BlackBerry starting to lock the Android Runtime on may of those early leaked builds of 10.1. The need to install a Key and the use that key to convert APK to BAR and then Sideload the BAR file.... and then renew the key ever 30 days would have killed BB10 for many people. To a fully unlocked runtime that can install APK Apps directly.... seems there was a major shift.

Posted via CB10
    Not really, it was all laid out in the various roadmaps of support. The only thing really 'dramatic' there was the direct APK installation and even that isn't as dramatic as some believe. The capability was always there... just blocked. If BlackBerry 10 had of been rooted or someone otherwise had access to change the permissions it would have been possible from the get-go. It is after all a direct function of Android.
    02-08-14 01:35 AM
    All Blackberry did was build allow the support. they knew that someone or another would build a Play port, or at the bare minimum third-party stores would work.
    Fixed that for you.
    02-08-14 01:40 AM
    Fixed that for you.
    I'm referring to the port of Dalvik and the APi reverse-engineering
    02-08-14 03:10 AM
    For a indie developer, it's a hot app for BB10 period. Surprised no one else attempted it whose name was known in big name apps. Perhaps it's not THAT difficult to code after all?

In anycase, thanks for SNAP dev!
    02-09-14 04:45 PM