With all the unsupported rumors floating around about Blackberry going Google I'd like to give my two cents worth of what I think is a couple of possibilities that may or could be happening.

1. Google ever vigilant to protect its lock on the Android app ecosystem, sees and fears the potential future threat that MS and Cyanogen could pose with their strategic partnership to develop a viable alternative Android App ecosystem that could entice OEM's to abandon the OHA. To counter this Google has allowed Samsung and Blackberry through their own strategic partnership to develop a device (Slider) running both OS's using QNX's Hypervisor software.

2. Blackberry has cut a deal with Cyanogen and MS to use the new Cyanogen forked Android.

Microsoft will bundle its apps on Cyanogen?s Android OS | The Verge

QNX Hypervisor
    06-13-15 08:29 AM
    With all the unsupported rumors floating around about Blackberry going Google I'd like to give my two cents worth of what I think is a couple of possibilities that may or could be happening.

1. Google ever vigilant to protect its lock on the Android app ecosystem, sees and fears the potential future threat that MS and Cyanogen could pose with their strategic partnership to develop a viable alternative Android App ecosystem that could entice OEM's to abandon the OHA. To counter this Google has allowed Samsung and Blackberry through their own strategic partnership to develop a device (Slider) running both OS's using QNX's Hypervisor software.

2. Blackberry has cut a deal with Cyanogen and MS to use the new Cyanogen forked Android.

Microsoft will bundle its apps on Cyanogen?s Android OS | The Verge

QNX Hypervisor
    And how would option 1 benefit google in any way? Cause I can see it as a bad thing allowing Microsoft to come in and "pressure" OEMs for dual boot Android/WP as well.

The main advantage of switching to Android is gaining the app store. Doing any kind android device without Google play store hasn't been successful at all in the western world. So anything android that is not google android will fail.
    06-13-15 12:52 PM
    And how would option 1 benefit google in any way? Cause I can see it as a bad thing allowing Microsoft to come in and "pressure" OEMs for dual boot Android/WP as well.

The main advantage of switching to Android is gaining the app store. Doing any kind android device without Google play store hasn't been successful at all in the western world. So anything android that is not google android will fail.

No one up until this point has had any real alternatives to Google's essential apps such as search and mapping etc. MS has bing and mapping + all of their office and messaging apps already established and in place not to mention MS has the money and resources to entice a lot of devs to release their apps for the new MS Cyanogen fork. They also have developed a compiler to easily allow devs to compile their android apps to win10 what's to say they can't release a tool for devs to easily port over their apps to Cyanogen? If anyone has a chance to crack Google's dominance and create a viable alternative it's MS.

http://m.androidcentral.com/microsof...led-windows-10

Loving my Passport!
    06-13-15 06:50 PM
    Hypervisor is not a dual boot system it can run multiple OSes at the same time so technically if BlackBerry were to release a Google Play store compatible device they wouldn't be in violation of the OHA of course they would still need to cut a deal with Google because as we know Google's interpretation of the terms of the OHA are fluid and ever changing for their own benefit. Google and Samsung would benefit from this because it could be the solution that could harden and secure Android for enterprise and government use. Again these are just what if scenarios lol

Loving my Passport!
    06-13-15 06:59 PM
    I don't get how people entertain this idea that a Multiple OS on one device idea is a good solution. It is a horrible idea! The worst.

If will confuse end users endlessly. BlackBerry has put a lot of effort into making Android on BB10 as seamless as possible and it still needs work.

Posted via CB10
    early2bed likes this.
    06-15-15 08:32 AM
    Hypervisor is not a dual boot system it can run multiple OSes at the same time so technically if BlackBerry were to release a Google Play store compatible device they wouldn't be in violation of the OHA of course they would still need to cut a deal with Google because as we know Google's interpretation of the terms of the OHA are fluid and ever changing for their own benefit. Google and Samsung would benefit from this because it could be the solution that could harden and secure Android for enterprise and government use. Again these are just what if scenarios lol

Loving my Passport!
    Yeah - all you really need to know is google would just say "no".
    06-15-15 08:36 AM

Loving my Passport!
    1) OHA requires Android to Boot the device... so no running it on top of some other OS like Hypervisor.

2) Microsoft's solution is still a long shot - requires developer support, and that has been the problem all along.

Personally I see one or two proof of concept device released by BlackBerry running Android with their BlackBerry Experience software - late this year or first of next year (if they can get it finished in time). Then from that point on there would be no need for BlackBerry to bother with hardware. Just license the keyboard to one Android OEM and let them built one or two "niche" keyboard devices.

In other words this is a transition phase to ease BlackBerry out of the hardware business.... but that's just my view on what could be going on.
    06-15-15 03:13 PM
    What if...

BlackBerry makes the Hypervisor phone... and then you just download a (custom) ROM of your choice? If they could make it compatible with Nexus ROMs, the problem would be solved...

(pre-boot driver injection?) :-D

Whatever problem it was in the first place. I'm fine with BB10!

  Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!  
    06-15-15 04:49 PM
    No carrier would support or sell such a device

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk
    06-16-15 07:27 AM
    What if...

BlackBerry makes the Hypervisor phone... and then you just download a (custom) ROM of your choice? If they could make it compatible with Nexus ROMs, the problem would be solved...
    The whole point of a BB Android phone is to offer a device that can, right out-of-the-box, install any app a consumer desired with the press of a button. If hacks and work-arounds were a solution, BB would be selling a lot more BB10 phones already, but clearly it isn't. It was the same with Android - though you could root and modify early Android phones to add features or options, and many users did, the vast majority (aka "normal consumers") had no interest in doing so. This forced Google and the OEMs to improve their builds of Android and add requested features, so that normal consumers could do what they wanted with the phone right out of the box - and that's when Android sales exploded.

By now, everyone here at CB should realize that if BB is going to make a major change like this, the goal has to be to sell a ton more phones, which also means being a lot more attractive to carriers and enterprise too, and that means making a phone that the mass market can use. BB doesn't have the money, the time, or the resources to bother with "kit phones" that end-users have to finish themselves - that's BB10 already, and BB10 is killing them.
    06-17-15 09:31 AM
    The whole point of a BB Android phone is to offer a device that can, right out-of-the-box, install any app a consumer desired with the press of a button. If hacks and work-arounds were a solution, BB would be selling a lot more BB10 phones already, but clearly it isn't. It was the same with Android - though you could root and modify early Android phones to add features or options, and many users did, the vast majority (aka "normal consumers") had no interest in doing so. This forced Google and the OEMs to improve their builds of Android and add requested features, so that normal consumers could do what they wanted with the phone right out of the box - and that's when Android sales exploded.

By now, everyone here at CB should realize that if BB is going to make a major change like this, the goal has to be to sell a ton more phones, which also means being a lot more attractive to carriers and enterprise too, and that means making a phone that the mass market can use. BB doesn't have the money, the time, or the resources to bother with "kit phones" that end-users have to finish themselves - that's BB10 already, and BB10 is killing them.
    I've been reading CB for years and I have to say that you my friend are in the few of people here that always make the most educated post of all (and I'm not being sarcastic).

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    06-18-15 12:07 AM
    It amazes me how much people are up in arms about the rumored move to Android. As it stands right now what percentage of apps left in BlackBerry World are currently native and not Android ports? As far as I'm concerned BlackBerry made the move to Android the second 10.2.1 was released.

If BlackBerry were to fully switch over to Android either by creating a launcher/skin or using Hypervisor and an Android OS + BB10 runtime, who cares as long as whatever they do the BB10 UI stays intact.

Loving my Passport!
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-18-15 08:40 PM
    1) OHA requires Android to Boot the device... so no running it on top of some other OS like Hypervisor.

2) Microsoft's solution is still a long shot - requires developer support, and that has been the problem all along.

Personally I see one or two proof of concept device released by BlackBerry running Android with their BlackBerry Experience software - late this year or first of next year (if they can get it finished in time). Then from that point on there would be no need for BlackBerry to bother with hardware. Just license the keyboard to one Android OEM and let them built one or two "niche" keyboard devices.

In other words this is a transition phase to ease BlackBerry out of the hardware business.... but that's just my view on what could be going on.
    Blackberry could use a hosted hypervisor.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hyperviseur.png
    06-19-15 10:03 AM
    Blackberry could use a hosted hypervisor.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hyperviseur.png
    Sorry but no, and no.

Figure one breaks the OHA by allowing another OS to boot the device.
    Figure two breaks the OHA by allowing another OS to operate on the phone - especially if it were BB10 that has a forked version of Android.

Note there are a few manufactures in China that are doing some dual booting Android Phones. But as far as I know, none of them are OHA compliant - so they have to use 3rd Party Stores... fine for China, not so much for the Western World or Enterprise.

Hyperviserur sounds like a great solution... unless you are a OS manufacture trying to dominate the market.
    06-19-15 10:32 AM
    Sorry but no, and no.

Figure one breaks the OHA by allowing another OS to boot the device.
    Figure two breaks the OHA by allowing another OS to operate on the phone - especially if it were BB10 that has a forked version of Android.

Note there are a few manufactures in China that are doing some dual booting Android Phones. But as far as I know, none of them are OHA compliant - so they have to use 3rd Party Stores... fine for China, not so much for the Western World or Enterprise.

Hyperviserur sounds like a great solution... unless you are a OS manufacture trying to dominate the market.
    Theoretically speaking if BB10 was run in a virtual runtime to handle the security and UI how would it be a violation of the OHA?
    06-19-15 12:06 PM
    Theoretically speaking if BB10 was run in a virtual runtime to handle the security and UI how would it be a violation of the OHA?
    How would it not?

Android has to be the ONLY OS on the device to gain approval.
    The company that is selling the device and that signs the OHA agreement can not also market an OS using a Forked version of Android.

BlackBerry very well might us hypervisor to run both Android and BB10 on one device. But that Android installation would not be OHA certified and would not have access to the world of Google.... which in western markets is a must. But then in developing markets with a low end device like the rumored Prague... might not be an issue. Other than hardware requirements for a virtual machine and two OS might not be meet by a low end device.
    06-19-15 01:09 PM
    BB10 is already has already the highest minimum requirements for any OS (the minimum RAM on which BB10 ran was 1.5GB). Running it alongside another OS, you would need 3GB of RAM at a minimum.
    06-19-15 01:12 PM
    BB10 is already has already the highest minimum requirements for any OS (the minimum RAM on which BB10 ran was 1.5GB). Running it alongside another OS, you would need 3GB of RAM at a minimum.
    Rumor has it the new slider will have 3gigs of ram lol

Loving my Passport!
    06-19-15 02:56 PM

A simple download link would suffice, I guess. But that poses some questions of legality again... :-)

(I totally get your point, still, the challenge and question how it could be done without breaking any law, TOS or agreement is still there and wants to be solved... )

  Pastaporto aglio e olio... Mmmhhh!  
    06-25-15 05:36 PM