12-05-13 08:17 PM
808 ... 678910 ...
tools
    Somebody is angling to make disgusting amounts of money.
    I very much agree!

if we see a sub $10 price after the next earnings call, I don't think we'll endure a follow up earnings call as they'll be taken private.
    Shlooky likes this.
    05-15-12 03:46 PM
    And after hours trading it's up. Trade volume is way high too. 19 million at the close. Craziness.
    05-15-12 04:26 PM
    And after hours trading it's up. Trade volume is way high too. 19 million at the close. Craziness.
    High Volume + negative change = bearish investors
    05-15-12 04:34 PM
    On Friday, Jan. 20th, RIMM closed at $17, since Jan.23rd announcement of Heins as new CEO, RIM is down 35%.

Lazaridis & Balsillie left him a spoon to paddle up sh$t creek, away from the water falls. BBOS 10 phone must be ready by end of June, if it's to launch on schedule.
    05-15-12 07:24 PM
    Anyone objectively looking at RIM as an investment sees a slow moving company with a history of questionable judgement in a fast paced industry where visionaries dominate. RIM has the stink of death on it, and the valuation is proof of that.
    05-15-12 08:34 PM
    Investing is not an emotional game. I know that it is a mistake to invest in a company that you have an emotional attachment to. I don't invest in Apple, and wouldn't if I could afford it. Investing is a game of numbers and stats and cold fundamentals. Anything you would feverishly argue for on a fan site makes for a dangerous investment. I get worried when I see people around here talk about investing in RIM. You should consult with an agent who uses an iPhone, but who loves money more than Apple. This may not be a likable person, but he/she will probably give you better investment advice.
    app_Developer and JBenn911 like this.
    05-15-12 08:55 PM
    The fact that people are shocked by the current price just shows how much emotion and patriotism have washed away objectivity.

RIM is going to have a really, really tough year. Many of us hope they will turn things around in calendar 2013, but that recovery is at least a year away still, if it comes at all. Meanwhile, there are probably better places to park your money for a year.
    WinningWithLogic and trsbbs like this.
    05-15-12 09:20 PM
    RIM's Freefall: Stock Drops to Eight-Year Low - John Paczkowski - News - AllThingsD

Interesting take. Short article from a reputable source. I don't know if the conclusions are correct, but it makes sense. RIM's stock was in free-fall until the buildup to BBWorld. After the hype was over, investors decided RIM would not be able to stand up against the expected announcements from the industry leaders.

Frankly, I don't know that investors are that savvy when it comes to the tech. I think they are given too much credit. Therefore, I don't necessarily agree with the conclusions in the article. Still a good read.

Personally, I think it all comes down to fundamentals. People around here seem to think that a couple billion in the bank means something in the mass-market, smartphone industry. MS p*ssed away half that just on marketing the Kin. Anyone remember the Kin? It will cost that much to launch a new platform from scratch. That's nothing.

Tone-deaf marketing, badly missed deadlines, clueless leadership, missing estimates every quarter, hardware write-downs on both major product lines, and an eight-year low, are not the stuff of solid fundamentals.
    05-15-12 10:05 PM
    People are acting like BB10 will be a miracle.

I think we had like 100 threads here with that same stink on it when the Playbook was launching. The jury is out, but I wouldn't touch that stock.
    05-16-12 12:46 PM
    05-16-12 01:08 PM
    Looks like another whale investor is jumping ship.

Greenlight's Einhorn Reconsiders Research In Motion Position - Seeking Alpha
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them come back in a year, which I still think is the rational thing to do if BB10 is successful in the market.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    05-16-12 02:43 PM
    While they did sell off half his shares over a quarter, this news is 45 days old (well the filing was 3/31). Time will tell if Einhorn keeps any shares or sells off the rest.
    05-16-12 02:49 PM
    While BBW 2012/JAM was good for Devs it was not good for RIM stock. They offered nothing. Just more of the same "it's coming" and a preview of BB10 that hurt them rather than help them. They had better Playbook sneak peaks in 2010 than they had for BB10.. It still "appeared" to be in the concept stage or rough Alpha.

You can only thump that drum so many times before you get thumped.

It was a long cold winter for RIM.

It's going to be an even longer "dry" hot summer for RIM. I hope they have the cash flow to make it a few more years because even if BB10 slams this fall there is going to be some VERY stiff competition from companies that have been delivering and not just promising.

I like RIM (I only love people and not electronics or companies) and make good use of their products, but the time was then and their last real good window in 2012 is now until mid-summer. They are going to get lost in the rush of new products 3rd and 4th quarter.

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 05-16-12 at 05:02 PM.
    05-16-12 04:58 PM
    Einhorn sold half his RIM but Jim Simons went the other way and bought five times what Einhorn sold.

"Jim Simons bought 463 new stocks for his firm Renaissance Technologies' portfolio, which contains 2,805 holdings. The top new buys are: Time Warner Inc. ( TWX ), Research In Motion ( RIMM )......Simons' second-largest new buy was Research In Motion ( RIMM ) . He bought 7,293,357 shares at an average price of $15."

Read more: Jim Simons Buys Time Warner, Research In Motion, JC Penney, CME and Schlumberger - NASDAQ.com
    05-16-12 05:15 PM
    The shorts are doing their best to drive RIMM to zero and they may succeed based on the current trajectory. Sad but true.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    05-16-12 05:48 PM
    Hopefully when we actually see the devices that will run BB10 things might start looking up. Right now, BUY BUY BUY!!!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk
    05-16-12 07:37 PM
    Hopefully when we actually see the devices that will run BB10 things might start looking up. Right now, BUY BUY BUY!!!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure seeing the devicing running BB10 will do anything for the stock. They demoed some pretty big features last week, and the stock went down.

RIM getting up on stage and doing the same old song and dance won't help investor confidence. They need to show that this is a changed company, and that the changes made in the last 6 months weren't just musical chairs.
    05-17-12 07:53 AM
    I'm not sure seeing the devicing running BB10 will do anything for the stock. They demoed some pretty big features last week, and the stock went down.

RIM getting up on stage and doing the same old song and dance won't help investor confidence. They need to show that this is a changed company, and that the changes made in the last 6 months weren't just musical chairs.
    Stock went down, because there was no device in hand

Stock will STAY down until RIM has a device to ship, or if by some amazing feat Mobile fusion adoption is CRAZY and RIM sees double digit growth in Service revenue, at the next earnings call

Any investor in RIM needs to think 6-9 months, if anyone is buying in now, they are holding on until the new year, since there is slim to no chance of seeing substantial growth from RIM(M) until there are clear earning growth,

Even with a flood of devices into New markets and increased volumes of OS6 and OS7 devices, the markets will not really change their outlook for RIM(M) until BB10 is released, because BB6/7 are the history and RIM's future earning potential for investors will be how BB10 and Mobile fusion do. high BB6/7 sales will just keep RIMs Books in the Black until BB10 launches
    app_Developer likes this.
    05-17-12 08:31 AM
    I wonder how many people here have ever programmed in assembly language...?
    05-17-12 08:39 AM
    How to resolve a contradiction.

All the negative news is being propagated by short sellers. They know they can easily shock investors who only understand the North American market into selling, making short sellers a quick, short-term profit.

The positive news is coming from investors able to see the RIM's global operations. Fundamentals analysis sees RIM as a good long-term value investment.
    morlock_man likes this.
    05-17-12 08:41 AM
    I wonder how many people here have ever programmed in assembly language...?
    eewwww!!

I am thankful that that was a very very very short part of my life, that felt very very long

and I hope that very very few people of the 3 million registered here have ever had to endure even 10 lines of x86 Assembly
    05-17-12 08:51 AM
    I have. Had to learn assembly. Fun stuff.

There's a lot that goes on in the background of an OS that people who just play Angry Birds have no clue about. When the stock dropped after the keynote, there were two kinds of impressions that came away from it.

One group, the group who mostly plays Angry Birds (including the people who write articles for Seeking Alpha, apparently) see the UI improvements and think "Wow... thats it?"

The other group, who know code and systems architecture and actually have an idea of how technology evolves over time, looked at that same keynote and were blown away by how far they've come in such a short period of time.

The stock dropping doesn't really say anything about the quality of the OS or their improvements to the UI. It say something about the level of intelligence and experience of your average investor.... and the fact that they're significantly outnumbering those with any actual knowledge of the reality of the situation.
    05-17-12 10:27 AM
    eewwww!!

I am thankful that that was a very very very short part of my life, that felt very very long

and I hope that very very few people of the 3 million registered here have ever had to endure even 10 lines of x86 Assembly
    I enjoyed programming in assembly language though I originally began programming in machine code first due to the lack of an assembler at the time for my Commodore VIC-20. I used to write on paper the code in assembly language complete with addresses and then hand translate the assembler mnemonics into machine code (0x00-0xFF). This led me many years later to develop a small operating system entirely in assembly language using MS/PC-DOS DEBUG. Admittedly, my very first programming language was Commodore PET BASIC.

deRusett, I used to hold you in such high esteem. Now you are lower than a mortal instead of a cloud-dwelling god.
    05-17-12 10:40 AM
    I have. Had to learn assembly. Fun stuff.

There's a lot that goes on in the background of an OS that people who just play Angry Birds have no clue about. When the stock dropped after the keynote, there were two kinds of impressions that came away from it.

One group, the group who mostly plays Angry Birds (including the people who write articles for Seeking Alpha, apparently) see the UI improvements and think "Wow... thats it?"

The other group, who know code and systems architecture and actually have an idea of how technology evolves over time, looked at that same keynote and were blown away by how far they've come in such a short period of time.

The stock dropping doesn't really say anything about the quality of the OS or their improvements to the UI. It say something about the level of intelligence and experience of your average investor.... and the fact that they're significantly outnumbering those with any actual knowledge of the reality of the situation.
    Or, the Angry Birds analysts saw a demo of unreleased software from a beleaguered company trying to regain their footing in a market with several strong competitors. BB10 looks nice, but I don't see anything particularly disruptive here.

The reality of the situation is that RIM and Microsoft will compete for 3rd place in 2013.
    05-17-12 10:40 AM
    Tech fans overestimate the important of the technical merits of a platform - really all of the platforms (once people leave out their own personal preferences) have their merits and failing, it's other factors such as marketing, carrier relationships, the ecosystem, price and the weird weird unpredictable nature of the public.

It's why WebOS fans got obsessed with things like "true multi-tasking", "it's got flash!", "it's got cards" and couldn't understand why it didn't drive the platform to success and why the vast majority of the buying public weren't interested.
    05-17-12 10:45 AM
808 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD