12-05-13 07:17 PM
808 ... 2728293031 ...
tools
    Back on to the price of the stock. The stock isn't going to make a jump up until BB 10 products are formally announced. Not rumors and road shows. It has a better chance IMHO of drifting a bit lower as the value of BB 10 is not apparent to investors. The second quarter will not be as bad as the first, unless more inventory write offs are necessary. At this point RIM has to deliver. It will be interesting to see what the big institutional investors did with their positions over the last three months. If they sold they are getting a haircut. If they bought they are averaging down. Either way, the last year has been ugly.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    07-18-12 07:58 AM
    Back on to the price of the stock. The stock isn't going to make a jump up until BB 10 products are formally announced. Not rumors and road shows. It has a better chance IMHO of drifting a bit lower as the value of BB 10 is not apparent to investors. The second quarter will not be as bad as the first, unless more inventory write offs are necessary. At this point RIM has to deliver. It will be interesting to see what the big institutional investors did with their positions over the last three months. If they sold they are getting a haircut. If they bought they are averaging down. Either way, the last year has been ugly.
    Only due to the level of attention thats been brought to it.

When Apple transitioned, there were no armies of tech bloggers to b!tch about the 5 years it took to complete.
    07-18-12 08:09 AM
    Only due to the level of attention thats been brought to it.

When Apple transitioned, there were no armies of tech bloggers to b!tch about the 5 years it took to complete.
    Apple wasn't a dominant player. RIM was. The level of attention is 100% justified.

-CFOT
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-18-12 08:48 AM
    Apple wasn't a dominant player. RIM was. The level of attention is 100% justified.

-CFOT
    Apple also had their bankroll bumped up by Microsoft to keep a competitor in the marketplace. It helped to color their antitrust suit by making it look like they didn't have a monopoly on the consumer PC market.
    07-18-12 09:08 AM
    Apple also had their bankroll bumped up by Microsoft to keep a competitor in the marketplace. It helped to color their antitrust suit by making it look like they didn't have a monopoly on the consumer PC market.
    (Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia *)

That doesn't address the assertion that the attention on RIM is unjustified...

-CFOT

* and, stupidly, I'll bite anyway: investing in a competitor doesn't change the conditions for a monopoly/antitrust designation
    07-18-12 09:18 AM

You think? I think it's going to balance out in that inventory write-offs will not be needed but the sales of BB7 devices were decrease at an accelerating rate and I think overall it will be a worse quarter.
    07-18-12 09:25 AM
    (Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia *)

That doesn't address the assertion that the attention on RIM is unjustified...

-CFOT

* and, stupidly, I'll bite anyway: investing in a competitor doesn't change the conditions for a monopoly/antitrust designation
    If Apple had folded, MS would have had an apparent monopoly on the consumer OS market. It's not rocket science. They were doing anything they could to keep the company from being split up.

As for the straw man reference, its just as easy to use the vast amount of attention RIM is getting from the media to take the spotlight away from the other economic problems that currently exist.

If RIM wasn't there, who would they be wasting all their time talking about right now?
    07-18-12 09:26 AM
    You think? I think it's going to balance out in that inventory write-offs will not be needed but the sales of BB7 devices were decrease at an accelerating rate and I think overall it will be a worse quarter.
    I also believe it won't be better than Q1 ... unfortunately.
    07-18-12 09:59 AM
    I also believe it won't be better than Q1 ... unfortunately.
    Looks like i should have put my buy back order in for $5.50, or $6.00.
    07-18-12 10:03 AM
    Looks like i should have put my buy back order in for $5.50, or $6.00.
    It has been announced by Thorsten Heins, so that if its follows this "somehow" guidance (meaning no extreme deterioration) it shouldn't affect stock much ... but depending mostly of how the general and financial press covers it.
    07-18-12 10:05 AM
    It has been announced by Thorsten Heins, so that if its follows this "somehow" guidance (meaning no extreme deterioration) it shouldn't affect stock much ... but depending mostly of how the general and financial press covers it.
    What? Please explain what Heins meant by that statement. Sounds like the old "side step" the issue, to me.
    07-18-12 10:09 AM
    What? Please explain what Heins meant by that statement. Sounds like the old "side step" the issue, to me.
    Basically "things won't go much better until BB10 comes".
    Much to do with implied and mandatory costs before it turns in the right direction.
    morales0416 likes this.
    07-18-12 12:45 PM
    If Apple had folded, MS would have had an apparent monopoly on the consumer OS market. It's not rocket science. They were doing anything they could to keep the company from being split up.

As for the straw man reference, its just as easy to use the vast amount of attention RIM is getting from the media to take the spotlight away from the other economic problems that currently exist.

If RIM wasn't there, who would they be wasting all their time talking about right now?
    I doubt the average person has seen much about RIM, other than right after their quarterly report. If you come to Crackberry, or search for news on RIM or RIMM you will find articles that most people will never see.

But if you just look at the top 10 tech stories (or economic) each day... RIM isn't making the news.
    07-18-12 01:11 PM
    I doubt the average person has seen much about RIM, other than right after their quarterly report. If you come to Crackberry, or search for news on RIM or RIMM you will find articles that most people will never see.

But if you just look at the top 10 tech stories (or economic) each day... RIM isn't making the news.
    Except all the constant bashing that goes on in tech blogs and the constant premature obituaries showing up everytime they get another patent suit thrown at them or announce their earnings and strategic delays.
    07-18-12 03:15 PM
    Except all the constant bashing that goes on in tech blogs and the constant premature obituaries showing up everytime they get another patent suit thrown at them or announce their earnings and strategic delays.

Bashing - everyone does it, especially when it is warranted. RIM has been very shortsighted in the past, and many of the complaints and bashing were avoidable.

Obituaries - Look at even Kevin's post.
    RIM isn't dead and it does have a chance to turn things around, but it is becoming a much smaller chance every day. (Back OT - But looking at RIMM over the last year.... DYING is a pretty good word for what the stock is doing.)

Patent Suit - again most every big hardware and software mobile device maker is facing multiple patent suits. It makes headlines if it is RIM being sued or if it is anyone else.

Earnings - That was bad news no matter how you report it.

Strategic Delays - LOL
    07-18-12 04:39 PM
    Sooooo

CFOT - Apple wasn't a dominant player. RIM was. The level of attention is 100% justified.

Scalemaster - But if you just look at the top 10 tech stories (or economic) each day... RIM isn't making the news

RIM can't win can they? So CFOT believes the high level of negative news in the media is justified, yet scalemaster says they aren't even in the news. Amazing.

I honestly its pointless arguing with the Anti-RIM people here. Theres an excuse for everything and they use circular reasoning and argue from different points from different angles and somehow its the RIM supporters who get banned.

To me in the end it doesn't matter. There is only one reason you are here. RIM has positioned itself to be the most competitive tech company in the market it. Why else would you be here? Do you just really hate RIM that much? Isn't there something you could be doing that is actually constructive? Whats the point in trying to tell be how bad RIM is? Or is that the whole ponit? Maybe you are a part of the effort that has been taken against RIM, in the only way the other tech companies are able to compete. Perception.

Or, if RIM does really suck that bad, why not move on?
    lynxs_claw likes this.
    07-18-12 11:43 PM
    Bashing - everyone does it, especially when it is warranted. RIM has been very shortsighted in the past, and many of the complaints and bashing were avoidable.

Obituaries - Look at even Kevin's post.
    RIM isn't dead and it does have a chance to turn things around, but it is becoming a much smaller chance every day. (Back OT - But looking at RIMM over the last year.... DYING is a pretty good word for what the stock is doing.)

Patent Suit - again most every big hardware and software mobile device maker is facing multiple patent suits. It makes headlines if it is RIM being sued or if it is anyone else.

Earnings - That was bad news no matter how you report it.

Strategic Delays - LOL

Wow.

There seems to be a pretty big talking point. "RIM exactly where they are because themselves".

When people read that it sounds bad to them. But RIM is in far better position than any other company for the long term.
    07-18-12 11:50 PM
    Long term? They need to produce a phone first. Then worry about the rest.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    07-19-12 05:26 AM
    Long term? They need to produce a phone first. Then worry about the rest.
    They are producing phones - only they are 24 months old/older.

New/er Iphone in 3 months.

BB10 6 Months ??

What happens till then is anyone's guess/
    07-19-12 09:07 AM
    Or, if RIM does really suck that bad, why not move on?
    Wow. You want to just give them a free pass to run themselves into the ground?

You go ahead and do that and contribute to a self-fulfilling prophecy.

The folks like me -- who want to see RIM succeed and stop screwing up -- will continue to call them out on the mistakes until they hopefully fix stop the self-inflicted damage...

-CFOT
    anon1727506 likes this.
    07-19-12 10:13 AM
    Wow.

There seems to be a pretty big talking point. "RIM exactly where they are because themselves".

When people read that it sounds bad to them. But RIM is in far better position than any other company for the long term.
    RIM is in a very weakened position TODAY. I would say its 50/50 that RIM as we know it is here a year from now. I would say there long-term position is tenuous, at best.

To say RIM is in a "far better position than any other company" long-term, short-term, or otherwise, is, respectfully, absurd.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    07-19-12 10:16 AM
    But RIM is in far better position than any other company for the long term.
    RIM is a dying company. BB10 may breathe new life into RIM or it may be, like WebOS, the last gasp.
    07-19-12 10:29 AM
    Cfot. You must be one of those delusional people who scream at the television and expect it to change the outcome of the game. No company cares what you post on random blog sites. Move on.

OMG and Ozarka. What sites do you post on for webos, htc, nokia, etc. How are those companies doing? Id like to see more of your insights and maybe even a comparison. You dont just bash RIM do you? That would be absurd.
    07-19-12 01:58 PM
    No, OMG and Ozarka are right. To say that RIM is in a better position long term is delusional.
    07-19-12 02:33 PM
    Cfot. You must be one of those delusional people who scream at the television and expect it to change the outcome of the game. No company cares what you post on random blog sites. Move on.

OMG and Ozarka. What sites do you post on for webos, htc, nokia, etc. How are those companies doing? Id like to see more of your insights and maybe even a comparison. You dont just bash RIM do you? That would be absurd.
    Nokia is almost as bad, but even their future is slightly brighter. Listen, I hope RIM succeeds. I like my 9650 and PB and don't own a single iProduct. But to think RIM is in a strong position or that RIM's long term future is secure or that they are in a strong position is just not realistic. I post because I want RIM to succeed. Hopefully someone in Waterloo (other than Mr. Saunders who seems to get it) will hit the panic button and actually do something. Time is not on RIM's side and they need to realize that yet they act with absolutely no urgency. Their sales figures and stock price reflect that, yet they still lumber along like they have all year.
    anon1727506 likes this.
    07-19-12 02:43 PM
808 ... 2728293031 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD