12-05-13 08:17 PM
808 ... 2627282930 ...
tools
    I'm going to say $7+ on Aug 1. Takeover rumors have to start swirling again at this price.
    07-17-12 12:29 PM
    I'm going to say $7+ on Aug 1. Takeover rumors have to start swirling again at this price.
    Again, this is impossible.

The current limit on foreign investments by the Canada Investments Act is $330 million dollars. Thats not nearly enough for controlling interest in the company.

For a foreign takeover to be possible (51% controlling interest), the stock would have to drop to about 18% of its current value, or around $1.25.

Do you think thats even realistic by any stretch of the imagination?
    07-17-12 12:36 PM

The current limit on foreign investments by the Canada Investments Act is $330 million dollars.
    Sorry, but I believe you over-interpret the act :
    The Act empowers the government to forbid foreign investments of "significant" size if they do not present a "net benefit to Canada".
    But Canadian govt stated weeks ago they won't interfere in such a situation ... and I don't read it as a strict limitation, but as an amount over witch govt has the right to interfere.
    07-17-12 12:49 PM

The current limit on foreign investments by the Canada Investments Act is $330 million dollars. Thats not nearly enough for controlling interest in the company.
    That's not quite the full story. The investment act enables -- NOT REQUIRES -- the gov't to block the investment if it's not in Canada's best interest. However foreign ownership may very well be in the best interest if the alternative is RIM going straight out of business

For a foreign takeover to be possible (51% controlling interest), the stock would have to drop to about 18% of its current value, or around $1.25.

Considering the historical implosion journey RIM is engaged in, imagination need not be stretched very far for this to be possible. Strange times...

-CFOT
    07-17-12 12:51 PM

As others have said, I don't believe the government is foolish enough to let the shareholders lose even more money for the sake of preventing foreign ownership.

Talk about a chilling effect on investors thinking about investing in other Canadian companies.
    07-17-12 12:54 PM

• Canadian gov blocks a takeover or buyout.
    • BB10 devices are a flop - and sales of both BB7 and BB10 devices continue to fall.
    • RIM sells patents to company XYZ, as an effort to raise cash.
    • RIM sells QNX division to XYZ car manufacture to raise cash.
    • RIMM falls to below $1.00

I find it much harder to imagine RIMM being over $100 a share...
    07-17-12 01:06 PM
    • Canadian gov blocks a takeover or buyout.
    • BB10 devices are a flop - and sales of both BB7 and BB10 devices continue to fall.
    • RIM sells patents to company XYZ, as an effort to raise cash.
    • RIM sells QNX division to XYZ car manufacture to raise cash.
    • RIMM falls to below $1.00

I find it much harder to imagine RIMM being over $100 a share...
    not better ... both are -actually- out of proportion/reason/sense (tick your choice)
    07-17-12 01:09 PM
    Only a flop or delay of BB10 would produce such as result in my opinion. (Opinion, not fact.)

At that time, I'd welcome a foreign investment to see the technology brought to market.

As much as I'm proud that RIM and QNX are Canadian companies, I'm much more interested in just seeing the technology and its impact on industry and the global marketplace.
    07-17-12 01:14 PM
    Rim has $4-5 per share in cash alone ($2.2) billion . That should give you an understanding just how undervalued and cheap RIM is and IMO manipulated down with the over 80 MILLION shares short. The insiders hold well over 60% of outstanding shares so no one can take over RIM unless RIM desides to sell. If you believe in the power of BB10 and want take advantage of the maniipulated SP then buy a couple of thousand shares. As I see it the downside is already priced in. Then again who knows but at this point the risk/reward looks better then good. I am hoping the SP can drop a little more over the next few days as I try to free up cash. I remember when apple was $7 and just about bankrupt and needed a loan from microsoft. RIM is no where near bankrupt.
    07-17-12 04:01 PM
    Let's not forget RIM makes money and has zero debts. All this under $5 are trolls or clueless.
    07-17-12 04:03 PM
    First - RIM no longer has $2.2B. Best estimates are between 1B and 1.5B. They are cutting costs and selling assets but not a a pace that is slowing down net losses. But that's not the danger. They can easily go 2-3 years like this.
    Second - Insiders own a majortity. This is very true. Its the minority interests that are a concern. If an investor makes a significant play, even pushing for a proxy fight and the insiders vote as a block, to push it aside...?...well, I think their might be a mass exodus from the stock. And further I think many of the large holders know this. They would be against a rock and a hard place if the SP fell to $5 and someone came in offering $10.
    07-17-12 04:10 PM
    Let's not forget RIM makes money and has zero debts. All this under $5 are trolls or clueless.
    Weren't people saying that at $10?
    Shlooky and Fuzzballz like this.
    07-17-12 05:13 PM
    Actually they were saying that at $30.

2/2011 - RIMM = $70.
    7/2011 - RIMM = $26-$27
    1/2012 - RIMM = $12-$15
    7/2012 - RIMM< $7.00

Back in 2010 the rumors started coming out. Insiders complaining about the inability for working groups to corraborate. Failures of leadership from middle management on up. Meriticracy in reverse. We saw it in the routine habit of RIM sending badly bugged OSes out the doors to carriers, fixing one bug and breaking something new. And for each single report that leaked out - tens of thousands of fanboys and girls shouted them down. Now the new CEO admits that these were problems and continue to be issues that delayed BB10. So in addittion to all the tech bloggers and insiders who warned RIM repeatedly to start producing better hardware and shift away from JAVA programming, we now all know that RIM knew too that they had internal working issues - as well as the need to put QNX to wqork on a handheld. And as these pieces get put together in the minds of institutional investors who do not live in a vacuum, but who actually use BBs and I will fully speculate, carry a secondary device, they are making informed, well thought out, rational decisions. BB10 is due in January. BB10 has been 2X delayed and is a year overdue. BB7 TS is not out yet. BB7 devices were delayed and after less than a full quarter were EOLed on many NA carriers. BB65.5 devices were killed early in their production runs. BB6 phones were delayed and had a terrible time with carriers. The company has performed terribly for 8+ quarters. Failing to meet timetables or expectations.

The stock is where it is suppossed to be. There may be a path back to $70.00. But it is much easier to fall down then to get up.
    07-17-12 05:32 PM
    Actually they were saying that at $30.

2/2011 - RIMM = $70.
    7/2011 - RIMM = $26-$27
    1/2012 - RIMM = $12-$15
    7/2012 - RIMM< $7.00

Back in 2010 the rumors started coming out. Insiders complaining about the inability for working groups to corraborate. Failures of leadership from middle management on up. Meriticracy in reverse. We saw it in the routine habit of RIM sending badly bugged OSes out the doors to carriers, fixing one bug and breaking something new. And for each single report that leaked out - tens of thousands of fanboys and girls shouted them down. Now the new CEO admits that these were problems and continue to be issues that delayed BB10. So in addittion to all the tech bloggers and insiders who warned RIM repeatedly to start producing better hardware and shift away from JAVA programming, we now all know that RIM knew too that they had internal working issues - as well as the need to put QNX to wqork on a handheld. And as these pieces get put together in the minds of institutional investors who do not live in a vacuum, but who actually use BBs and I will fully speculate, carry a secondary device, they are making informed, well thought out, rational decisions. BB10 is due in January. BB10 has been 2X delayed and is a year overdue. BB7 TS is not out yet. BB7 devices were delayed and after less than a full quarter were EOLed on many NA carriers. BB65.5 devices were killed early in their production runs. BB6 phones were delayed and had a terrible time with carriers. The company has performed terribly for 8+ quarters. Failing to meet timetables or expectations.

The stock is where it is suppossed to be. There may be a path back to $70.00. But it is much easier to fall down then to get up.
    RIM Unveils BlackBerry BBX - Combines the Best of BlackBerry and QNX to Provide a Next Generation Platform for BlackBerry Smartphones and Tablets

BBX was only formally announced in October with no formal date set for the launch so it hasn't even been a year. There's only been one delay for BB10 announced in May.

The other delay you're thinking about is the public launch of OS 2.0, not BB10.
    07-17-12 05:59 PM
    Weren't people saying that at $10?
    And yet RIM still makes money and has zero debt.
    07-17-12 06:02 PM
    And yet the stock price has fallen like a rock. Remember that companies also have liabilities, of which debt is a part.
    07-17-12 06:11 PM
    No. Second delay. BlackBerry delay darkens RIM's future
    QNX is on playbooks. Should have listened to advicee and abandoned the tablet market and gotten qnx on a phone last year.
    07-17-12 06:18 PM
    And yet RIM still makes money and has zero debt.
    RIM has net operating losses. Not net profit.
    07-17-12 06:21 PM
    Gee whiz fellas, you're entitled to your own opinions, but not facts. RIM acquired Qnx in April 2010 because as the CEOS later said was the need to replace the aging Java based OS. That's 27 months. That's 6 quarterly earnings reports. That's a playbook and 2 generations of java based handsets later. BB10 AT BEST will arrive to market 33 months after the acquisition.
    07-17-12 06:28 PM
    Let's back off each other a bit. General discussion positive or negative news/debates. But leave the personal comments at the door.
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-17-12 06:52 PM
    First - RIM no longer has $2.2B. Best estimates are between 1B and 1.5B. They are cutting costs and selling assets but not a a pace that is slowing down net losses. But that's not the danger. They can easily go 2-3 years like this.
    Second - Insiders own a majortity. This is very true. Its the minority interests that are a concern. If an investor makes a significant play, even pushing for a proxy fight and the insiders vote as a block, to push it aside...?...well, I think their might be a mass exodus from the stock. And further I think many of the large holders know this. They would be against a rock and a hard place if the SP fell to $5 and someone came in offering $10.
    How are you getting your cash estimate? Although they probably won't be making money from selling devices, service revenue would normally give them a positive cash flow. However, their restructuring charge is around $350 million (assuming that is for severance), so in the worse case I would expect cash to drop to $1.85 billion. As for the lawsuit, which will likely be appealed, and will likely delay payment of the amount awarded. If you want to assume that it does get paid, cash drops $1.7 billion. Nowhere near your $1 to $1.5 billion.
    07-17-12 08:09 PM
    Ok, let's make it clear : please read the fiscal Q1 2013 balance sheet and the press release; I attached it for your convenience. And ... modify your statement accordingly ?
    Cash, cash equivalents, short-term and long-term investments increased to $2.2 billion at the end of the first quarter
    Cash flow from operations was approximately $710 million in the first quarter
    Thank you.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 07-18-12 at 05:00 AM.
    07-18-12 04:56 AM
    Let's the facts talk by themselves: Shares price will be in the best case @ $5.75 on August 01 2012

07-18-12 08:23 AM
    Let's the facts talk by themselves: Shares price will be in the best case @ $5.75 on August 01 2012
    Based on an approximative straight trend line . There's no "science" here; it's maths.
    Sorry
    07-18-12 08:46 AM
    Gee whiz fellas, you're entitled to your own opinions, but not facts. RIM acquired Qnx in April 2010 because as the CEOS later said was the need to replace the aging Java based OS. That's 27 months. That's 6 quarterly earnings reports. That's a playbook and 2 generations of java based handsets later. BB10 AT BEST will arrive to market 33 months after the acquisition.
    And OSX arrived about 60 months after NextStep was acquired by Apple.

Whats your point?

You think someone just flips a switch and the whole platform codes itself?
    07-18-12 08:53 AM
808 ... 2627282930 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD