12-05-13 07:17 PM
808 ... 2122232425 ...
tools
    It's dropping like a stone.

Draw a straight-line through the price so far today and it hits the $5-mark by end of today.

I guess all it takes is buyers to stop that $5-price becoming a reality... but who would catch that falling knife?
    06-29-12 10:32 AM
    I had 1100 shares at an $18 average. Just sold at $7.49. This thing is heading sub $5. An expensive lesson to avoid individual stocks and not allow personal opinion into investment strategy.
    This thread from its inception operated under the flawed premise that buying stock is a sign of support of the company. Buy products not stock. People buy stock to make money. Even if one was planning togo long they should have waited to get in at a latter point as the stock's downward trajectory hasn't ceased for about a year.

Invest with your heads not your hearts people.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-29-12 10:56 AM
    Where are the people that said a few months ago when RIMM stock was falling, "now is the best time to buy!"?
    06-29-12 11:03 AM
    I was interested at $10... if this hits $5 then I dont see a reason not to buy.
    I still think that the ship will be righted, and stock will go easily above $10 in the future.
    06-29-12 11:06 AM
    I still think that the ship will be righted, and stock will go easily above $10 in the future.
    are you serious? or being sarcastic?
    06-29-12 11:09 AM
    If the company turns things around there will be plenty of time later to get in on the rally next year. Why not put your money somewhere more sensible for now and then see what happens next year?
    06-29-12 11:13 AM
    LOL!

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you owned Nortel stock and rode it all the way down, huh?
    06-29-12 11:14 AM
    If the company turns things around there will be plenty of time later to get in on the rally next year. Why not put your money somewhere more sensible for now and then see what happens next year?
    You've basically summed up the fallacy in all the go-longers who try to rationalize investing in a sinking ship. Even assuming RIMM turns it around, that doesn't make up for all time that the stock was falling. The RIMM shareholder thus loses out on putting his/her money to work elsewhere or at least not losing as much value.
    Fuzzballz likes this.
    06-29-12 11:46 AM
    This thread from its inception operated under the flawed premise that buying stock is a sign of support of the company. Buy products not stock. People buy stock to make money. Even if one was planning togo long they should have waited to get in at a latter point as the stock's downward trajectory hasn't ceased for about a year.

Invest with your heads not your hearts people.
    There are seasoned investors that have lost on RIMM and it is easy to Monday quarterback this stuff.

I would argue RIM had a real shot at turning things around, but squandered it once again. It was ultimately the push of BB10 that sealed my decision to dump the stock.
    OniBerry likes this.
    06-29-12 01:20 PM
    Also, would shareholders have to sell to RIM at those prices? Couldn't they for example refuse to sell their shares because they're holding out for a big buyout?
    Yes, the current shareholders could just hold out for a higher price. But, current volume is around 50 million shares. But, let's say RIM bought all 50 million shares (about 1/8 of public shares) that people are currently getting rid of today at $8, that would cost them $400 million to do it right now. Since that is higher than the current market value, people would gladly sell at that price (apparently).

What would that do. Well, it could make the price drop further, because people see this as RIM blowing through their money (for the other guy, cash on hand is actual cash). Or, it would most logically, increase the price of the remaining shares in the public.

I'll also point out, that if they did buy back a large portion of the shares, then the loss/gain per share would obviously be reflected. Probably not a good idea to reduce the number of shares, thereby increasing your loss per share.
    Last edited by LoganSix; 06-29-12 at 01:40 PM.
    06-29-12 01:36 PM
    Yes, the current shareholders could just hold out for a higher price. But, current volume is around 50 million shares. But, let's say RIM bought all 50 million shares (about 1/8 of public shares) that people are currently getting rid of today at $8, that would cost them $400 million to do it right now. Since that is higher than the current market value, people would gladly sell at that price (apparently).

What would that do. Well, it could make the price drop further, because people see this as RIM blowing through their money (for the other guy, cash on hand is actual cash). Or, it would most logically, increase the price of the remaining shares in the public.
    Stock buybacks temporarily increase the price, but generally do nothing for the long term. RIM can only fix the stock price by increasing the value of the company. For example, they could ship BB10 and get people to buy the new devices. The problem isn't short term. The problem is they have no proven competitive strategy for next year and investors know this. The investors still in the stock are likely betting that RIM will be divided up and sold (it's trading near book value). I have yet to hear an investor say that they believe RIM will ship BB10 and be competitive.
    06-29-12 01:45 PM
    But wait, I thought the stock couldn't go any lower than $30. Then it couldn't go any lower than $20. Then for sure it would never go below $15. Last month it couldn't drop under $10. Now I'm SURE it can't go below $9. No way! Buy now!!
    It's not going to go below $7 people. Buy it RIGHT NOW!!!
    06-29-12 01:50 PM
    Didn't I hear that at $12?
    06-29-12 02:00 PM
    There are seasoned investors that have lost on RIMM and it is easy to Monday quarterback this stuff.

I would argue RIM had a real shot at turning things around, but squandered it once again. It was ultimately the push of BB10 that sealed my decision to dump the stock.
    No Monday quarterbacking is required. Even the most diehard RIMM supporter knew that even if BB10 lives up to the hype, any turnaround of the company is a ways off. There is a lot more time for things to get worse than get better and lots of other investing opportunities to pursue during the interim.
    06-29-12 02:12 PM
    Sorry, I meant this article. I posted the wrong article earlier.

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell...grade-rim-now/

"The upgrades – from Canadian brokerages GMP Securities and National Bank – were based solely on valuation. At its current price of about $7.50 per share, RIM RIMM trades below what many calculate as its book value, or the value of its tangible assets. Factset calculates the stock to be trading around 40% of the company’s book value, which theoretically leaves plenty of upside in the case of scenarios such as an acquisition or break-up of the company."
    Last edited by moretreelessbush; 06-29-12 at 04:37 PM.
    06-29-12 04:21 PM
    This article was dated May 30, 2012, 10:50 A.M. ET.

There were four downgrades today.

Here is the article from today: http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderd...s/?mod=BOLBlog
    06-29-12 04:23 PM
    Are RIM'S assets getting stale?

Is there a shelf life or "best by date"

Is BBM even saleable anymore?
    06-29-12 08:55 PM
    Are RIM'S assets getting stale?

Is there a shelf life or "best by date"

Answer: No

True BBM was once a premiere messaging platform when RIM was at the top of their game. Fast forward to today, with the drastic decline in Blackberry popularity, BBM has become irrelevant.
    06-29-12 09:03 PM
    Answer: No

True BBM was once a premiere messaging platform when RIM was at the top of their game. Fast forward to today, with the drastic decline in Blackberry popularity, BBM has become irrelevant.
    iMessage has a lot more users than BBM, probably more than twice as many.
    06-29-12 09:08 PM
    iMessage has a lot more users than BBM, probably more than twice as many.
    and who cares?

Tim
    06-29-12 09:51 PM
    It's not going to go below $7 people. Buy it RIGHT NOW!!!
    No thank you. Pass...

Tim
    06-29-12 09:52 PM
    I do remember seeing $7 as a target, but I thought that was assuming they used all the cash pursuing BB10. Hmmm...
    06-29-12 10:22 PM
    Probably close to $8 a share by the end of June.
    Cheers.....
    06-29-12 10:53 PM
    $7.54CDN right now, shorting anyone? it may go down to $3/share based on my fundamental and technical analysis YUMMMMMM...
    06-30-12 03:50 AM
    Yes. In countries where buying a computer and an internet connection are more expensive than a BB7 phone. In a lot of places, the phone is the only internet and communication to the outside world people have.
    06-30-12 04:37 AM
808 ... 2122232425 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD