12-05-13 07:17 PM
808 ... 2021222324 ...
tools
    What did the people gain who just ran the stock up? Why would they buy before suck an announcement? Either I'm stupid, or they are, or the world is.
    Most stock investors dont know what they are doing. 10% make a cr@pload of money off of the 90% who are clueless.

Those running the stock up were doing so on a flawed risky premise, just like those that ran facebook up briefly after the the ipo hit the market.
    06-28-12 03:56 PM
    I ask that the mods provide a bit of lee way with our ability to express ourselves freely under the circumstances. As someone who has been a heavy critic of RIM, I wanted to see the next iteration that I feel will never happen. This news just makes it more real. To more clearly express what I'm feeling, all I can say is, DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!

...AND FRACK!
    06-28-12 03:56 PM
    What did the people gain who just ran the stock up? Why would they buy before suck an announcement? Either I'm stupid, or they are, or the world is.
    They are stupid.
    06-28-12 04:14 PM
    Listening to the call, this is the absolute worst possible news. No way to sugar coat it. There is no hope folks.
    06-28-12 04:14 PM
    Listening to the call, this is the absolute worst possible news. No way to sugar coat it. There is no hope folks.
    Its the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine. Unfortunately I am officially done waiting for BB10 and will upgrading the 9650 and probably ditching a BB phone making my PB much less useful.
    06-28-12 05:07 PM
    But wait, I thought the stock couldn't go any lower than $30. Then it couldn't go any lower than $20. Then for sure it would never go below $15. Last month it couldn't drop under $10. Now I'm SURE it can't go below $9. No way! Buy now!!
    Shlooky, ADGrant, kennyliu and 3 others like this.
    06-28-12 09:54 PM
    It will level off at $3 to $4 by the end of the year. Probably less.
    06-28-12 09:56 PM
    Prem Watsa can't be happy.
    06-28-12 10:02 PM
    But wait, I thought the stock couldn't go any lower than $30. Then it couldn't go any lower than $20. Then for sure it would never go below $15. Last month it couldn't drop under $10. Now I'm SURE it can't go below $9. No way! Buy now!!
    lol, exactly...Smh @ all those that bought this stock for the past year...You know what they say about a fool and his money...
    06-28-12 10:02 PM
    lol, exactly...Smh @ all those that bought this stock for the past year...You know what they say about a fool and his money...
    True but those people were led to believe BB10 will be released this year. Then RIM dropped a bomb shell and the stock tanked yet again.

I guess they learnt a valuable lesson not to trust RIM with release dates even though actual dates were not provided, saying third quarter of 2012 was more than enough for them to buy stock.
    06-28-12 10:09 PM
    True but those people were led to believe BB10 will be released this year. Then RIM dropped a bomb shell and the stock tanked yet again.
    But then why were there so many people here, including myself, who didn't buy into all that? Are we smarter than those people? Or wiser? Or were we just lucky?

My prediction: There will never be a BB10 release. Anyone want to put money on that?
    kingest_kong likes this.
    06-28-12 10:14 PM
    (Hangs head in shame). I boarded the train at the $10 stop. Now, there's just no predicting the bottom.

My prediction: There will never be a BB10 release. Anyone want to put money on that?
    I'm the conductor of that particular train. I'm pretty sure I'm the first person in the world who predicted there would never be a BB10 phone. I got banned shortly after that. Not sure if there was a correlation.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-29-12 01:25 AM
    Imo at this stage, theres not much left to lose for investors. Maybe some of u will just salavge whatever you got left out of the stock, but for some, since we are already deep down in the wAter, might as well wait until it runs out of oxygen and floats again. Meaning, why sell, better wait for someone to bail the sorry RIM , u ll lose either way. Question is how to lose less.

To RIM, and his exces, u guys are full of cra p. Maybe after all RIM deserves this.
    Last edited by unlimited90; 06-29-12 at 03:27 AM.
    06-29-12 03:24 AM
    It will level off at $3 to $4 by the end of the year. Probably less.
    Good time to buy a few hundred shares then.

BTW, if it were to drop to that range, then RIM could take their $2.2 billion and go private.
    Last edited by LoganSix; 06-29-12 at 07:02 AM.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    06-29-12 06:18 AM

BTW, if it were to drop to that range, then RIM could take their $2.2 billion and go private.

They can't just take their cash to go private. That cash belongs to the shareholders.
    dtango likes this.
    06-29-12 07:36 AM
    They can't just take their cash to go private. That cash belongs to the shareholders.
    I think he means buy all outstanding stock...and go private, obviously they cant just *go* private.
    06-29-12 08:15 AM
    I think he means buy all outstanding stock...and go private, obviously they cant just *go* private.
    I didn't think I had to spell out the obvious. Thanks for helping out.

Current cost of all outstanding stock ($7.76) is $4 billion. If the price dropped in 1/2 to $3, then the cost of all outstanding stock would be about $2 billion, which is what RIM currently has on in cash.

Would I want them to go private at that price? No.
    Would it be a good way to shut up the analysts? Yes. And then they wouldn't have to report every 3 months where they are at and then they could focus on the customers and not the shareholders.

Disclosure
    I am a small shareholder and long on RIM.
    JBenn911 likes this.
    06-29-12 08:58 AM

Current cost of all outstanding stock ($7.76) is $4 billion. If the price dropped in 1/2 to $3, then the cost of all outstanding stock would be about $2 billion, which is what RIM currently has on in cash.

Would I want them to go private at that price? No.
    Would it be a good way to shut up the analysts? Yes. And then they wouldn't have to report every 3 months where they are at and then they could focus on the customers and not the shareholders.

Disclosure
    I am a small shareholder and long on RIM.
    RIM has not built out the BB 10 phones yet I don't believe (the have reduced their cap ex spending to increase cash reserves it appears). They certainly haven't marketed them. To use all their on hand cash to buy back the company and then borrow to build out and market the BB10 devices would be suicide IMHO
    06-29-12 09:11 AM
    RIM has not built out the BB 10 phones yet I don't believe (the have reduced their cap ex spending to increase cash reserves it appears). They certainly haven't marketed them. To use all their on hand cash to buy back the company and then borrow to build out and market the BB10 devices would be suicide IMHO

Agreed. Going private will not solve RIM's problems, they still have to execute bb10 and that'll be impossible with no cash.

Also, would shareholders have to sell to RIM at those prices? Couldn't they for example refuse to sell their shares because they're holding out for a big buyout?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    06-29-12 09:23 AM
    Agreed. Going private will not solve RIM's problems, they still have to execute bb10 and that'll be impossible with no cash.

Also, would shareholders have to sell to RIM at those prices? Couldn't they for example refuse to sell their shares because they're holding out for a big buyout?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    You are not selling to RIM. Any move to take the company would be done by a group or single investor that has pulled together a majority of voting shares and convinced the board. A shareholder vote would be called, the price per share would be proposed, motion voted on, it would pass due to majority, board would approve. Even if you want to refuse you can't because it passed legally. You will be forced to sell your shares to this group.

In a nutshell, that is generally how it works.
    06-29-12 09:49 AM
    I had 1100 shares at an $18 average. Just sold at $7.49. This thing is heading sub $5. An expensive lesson to avoid individual stocks and not allow personal opinion into investment strategy.
    06-29-12 10:07 AM
    At this rate, there is never a good time to buy RIMM.

I made the mistake and bought into Nortel a long time ago. I am seeing the same trends here and will never put my hard earned cash down on a losing stock.

Your comment about going private? that could also be problematic for RIM as it needs investment money to keep the "research in motion"
    06-29-12 10:09 AM
    From cnbc,
    "Heins had vowed to do everything he could to release BlackBerry 10 this year but he said Thursday that the timetable simply wasn't realistic. He said RIM's top priority remains a successful launch of the new BlackBerrys."

I could have told you that. They need to work out the bugs in 7.1 first!
    06-29-12 10:14 AM
    I feel sorry for the guys who got in at @ the $40 mark because they thought that blackberry music would cause the stock to skyrocket!

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    06-29-12 10:18 AM

RE: "would be about $2 billion, which is what RIM currently has on in cash."

Could you clarify what portion of cash-on-hand is actually currency vs inventory?
    The liquidity of carried inventory, especially aged parts, is not readily convertible for cash flow purposes...
    06-29-12 10:26 AM
808 ... 2021222324 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD