12-05-13 08:17 PM
808 1234 ...
tools
    If this is a countdown to a 4G release, then its kind of weird it was a localized campaign...unless they chose Australian because they currently have no 4G tablets
    Why attack an market where the iPad is already dug in?

Go where they can't and go big.
    05-03-12 02:04 PM
    I have read this quite often in this thread about how we will have to wait till next week to see what they are going to do...or whats happening...but just want to throw this out there just in case you havent heard this yet...

"RIM 'fessed up to the stunt and issued a statement saying that on May 7th it will do something that will aim to provoke conversation on what being in business means to Australians.

This is what the countdown is counting down to...something about "being in business"...what do you guys think this means...could it mean the 4G PlayBook allowing Australians (And ultimately the world) to take business with them everywhere they go?

If this is a countdown to a 4G release, then its kind of weird it was a localized campaign...unless they chose Australian because they currently have no 4G tablets

I think they chose Australia because they're suing Apple there and Australians are Bold.

The target market for the 4G tablet is probably business.

I think the whole kerfuffle is cool
    05-03-12 02:04 PM
    Ya thats what I was thinking, because there is no 4G tablets there and BlackBerry can get their foot in the door first!

For something like a 4G Tablet, thats a pretty big deal, why keep the rest of the world in the dark about this...hopefully they create the buzz down under but then announce that the tablet will be released everywhere...

AND if this is a 4G Tablet announcement, they HAVE to be ready to release the Tablet immediately...not 3 months down the road, they need to be able to sell it by Friday...that way no other company will have time to negotiate any terms to release a 4G tablet!
    05-03-12 02:10 PM
    There already are 4g LTE tablets down there.

Telstra Launches Australia’s First 4G LTE Tablet, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 4G | Android Australia

RIM isnt beating anyone to the punch
    05-03-12 02:21 PM
    People want a smartphone that has somthing "WOW" in it. RIM for the last 2-3yrs have just sat back and did incremental upgrades every 6 months and finally have found out the hard way, "you snooze! you lose!" and NOW, when they need to leapfrog Apple and Samsung and HTC, they offer up nothing special, just the same elitest BS about "BlackBerry's are for successful people" well Steve Jobs was VERY successful, having been CEO of the wealthiest company on Earth, and I didnt see a BlackBerry Bold 9930 in his jeans. Bottom line, RIM had it's time in the Sun, and they f**ked it away.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    OMGitworks, Yaceka, buwee and 2 others like this.
    05-03-12 02:24 PM
    The Playbook doesn't contribute anything really positive to RIM's bottom line, and so I think most investors couldn't care less about the Playbook.

It's all about BB10 and/or some larger strategic option. Every time the stock has gone up in the past few months, it has been because of the rumor of some sale, partnership, or major strategic reorganization of the company. Every time, on the other hand, RIM reminds the world that they have bet their whole future on BB10, the stock goes down. They did the latter again very loudly this week in Orlando.

Why does the stock go down? Because it's a risky bet. It could pay off spectacularly for investors if BB10 is a success and sells with good margins. Or it could fail, either because they fail to make it complete and polished by Oct, or their customer base -- who are largely "bargain" shoppers at this point -- may not come out in droves to buy the new phones at $500 - $600 (minus subsidies).
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    05-03-12 02:27 PM
    BlackBerry PlayBook 4G LTE to have a 1.5Ghz dual-core processor, NFC | MobileSyrup.com

According to this news, PlayBook 4G is launching in latter part of 2012, are you sure it's not another product? Like the new Bold for business or Mobile Fusion?
    05-03-12 04:31 PM
    I think it's a simply the reality that while BBX is great, most people HERE look at it from the prism of coming from OS6/7 devices. It is a good OS, but it doesn't seem nearly as monumentally awesome when you compare it to ICS, iOS, and what people are expecting of WP "Apollo."

Maybe people on this site should stop trying to be stock brokers and stock market analysts, and worry about phones and the smartphone experience boost they're getting in the future.

Is this forbes.com or crackberry.com?

P.S. WTB Cheap Playbook (16GB) for dev purposes.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    05-03-12 04:33 PM
    They failed to announce anything concrete, no dates, no partnerships, no licensing agreements.
    05-03-12 06:37 PM
    People want a smartphone that has somthing "WOW" in it. RIM for the last 2-3yrs have just sat back and did incremental upgrades every 6 months and finally have found out the hard way, "you snooze! you lose!" and NOW, when they need to leapfrog Apple and Samsung and HTC, they offer up nothing special, just the same elitest BS about "BlackBerry's are for successful people" well Steve Jobs was VERY successful, having been CEO of the wealthiest company on Earth, and I didnt see a BlackBerry Bold 9930 in his jeans. Bottom line, RIM had it's time in the Sun, and they f**ked it away.
    This is pretty much accurate.

2 things that left investors unimpressed at Blackberry World was:

- nothing game-changing was shown, even after all these years of being stagnant
    - they didn't show much of BB10, which leads people to suspecting they are VERY far behind in it's development and that it with either a) not make their release date or b) be released on time unfinished and unpolished.

Still waiting for RIM to show something that will make people drop their iOS/Android devices (or their plans to move to them) for a BB10 device. I really doubt it will come and with that - it'll be game over.
    05-03-12 06:49 PM
    I think the stock price should matter to the average BB fan. The question is, how low can it go before it becomes a serious takeover target. My prediction some time ago was $10. We might see that tomorrow.

I definitely believe there is a point below which, if the stock falls, there will be no BB10 devices. It is a race to see which happens first. I am not convinced we will ever see a BB10 device on a carrier store display. The stock price matters.
    05-03-12 07:02 PM
    They failed to announce anything concrete, no dates, no partnerships, no licensing agreements.
    ...and that's probably the explanation in a nutshell. It doesn't help that RIM needs to discipline their messaging a little better. For instance, many critics were loudly vocal at the inference many writers drew that RIM was abandoning physical keyboards. I like Heins as a presenter but they need that CMO ASAFP, in part to help control overall corporate communication.

The truth is, there was next to nothing in this conference for either Blackberry enthusiasts or the financial community. The OS10 demos looked promising, but nobody outside the company has actually been able to try it (the Developer Alphas do not have the new UI).

The GOOD news here is that the one community that RIM absolutely hammered on here was developers. They got new tools and a much deeper look at how the new UI will work. The brightest spots in the keynote were from the developers committing support to the new platform.

I have faith. The company is worth considerably more than its current market cap, though it may well go lower; last quarter's loss was only on paper, but we may well see real ones soon. As a shareholder myself, though, I'm still in and prepared to buy more if it dips further.
    05-03-12 07:12 PM
    I think the stock price should matter to the average BB fan. The question is, how low can it go before it becomes a serious takeover target. My prediction some time ago was $10. We might see that tomorrow.

I definitely believe there is a point below which, if the stock falls, there will be no BB10 devices. It is a race to see which happens first. I am not convinced we will ever see a BB10 device on a carrier store display. The stock price matters.
    Nobody's going to swoop in and buy RIM out. The founders still hold a huge chunk of stock, and between them and a couple of other major shareholders, there's more than enough to win a proxy fight.

The current share price is not a reflection of what this company will be worth in a year if they continue to execute as consistently as they have with Heins as CEO.
    stevepar likes this.
    05-03-12 07:15 PM
    I thank its all the latest media buzz about RIM having considered going private several months ago. They abandoned the idea, but that doesnt stop the press from pushing the story and spooking investors.
    05-03-12 07:15 PM
    Get the sucker investors to sell their rim shares while they buy them up.that is what is going on.
    05-03-12 07:24 PM
    Get the sucker investors to sell their rim shares while they buy them up.that is what is going on.
    It's been going on for 18 months.
    OMGitworks likes this.
    05-03-12 07:34 PM
    i still keep hearing on the news and on the radio that Blackberry will not have physical keyboards. How can new sources report so much misinformation??
    stevepar likes this.
    05-03-12 07:47 PM
    $12.04? This is terrible? What a joke? What happened to the days when RIMM was trading at $25?
    05-03-12 08:02 PM
    And you really beleive that within 2 yrs RIM's stock will somehow amazingly go from $12.00 a share to somehow $30-50 ? Must be some high alchol content BlackBerry wine being drank in the dark alleys of these forums.

05-03-12 08:09 PM
    i still keep hearing on the news and on the radio that Blackberry will not have physical keyboards. How can new sources report so much misinformation??
    All Heins had to say was "With BB10, BlackBerry people will have a choice of the best physical keyboard on the market, which you would expect from BlackBerry, OR what we believe is the best virtual keyboard on the market. Let me show you how that works..."

And later..."so that's our new virtual keyboard. BlackBerry people will have the best physical keyboards and the best virtual keyboard to get things done"

Same issue happened on the investor call last quarter. RIM's writers are not being as clear as they need to be in big events like this.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 05-03-12 at 08:14 PM.
    05-03-12 08:10 PM
    I Know they have looked into it already... RIM should buy back and go private.... The company has enough preasure as it is to just survive... The markets do not care about innovation or vision unless they "think" they can make money from it.....

What you will see is even if RIM does have a success with BB10... it will be played down or outright dumped on..... Apples and Samsung sold this many smartphones.... look at RIM.... Too little too late....

If RIM does fold "too little... too late" will indeed be on their headstone.....
    05-03-12 08:16 PM
    I also think they should go private.
    05-03-12 08:24 PM
    i think people and investors are getting tired of hearing about how AWESOME BB10 will be and they want to actually see it in action, and if possible, released.

How long do you expect people to keep interest in a new BB OS after hearing about it for how many months now? With still no real demonstration of it?
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 05-03-12 at 08:32 PM.
    05-03-12 08:30 PM
    Unfortunately, RIM is a PR and marketing disaster.
    On the software & hardware side does the company truly have the talent in-house to get BB10 OS and phones done or have too many left a sinking ship?
    Shlooky likes this.
    05-03-12 08:53 PM
    i think people and investors are getting tired of hearing about how AWESOME BB10 will be and they want to actually see it in action, and if possible, released.

How long do you expect people to keep interest in a new BB OS after hearing about it for how many months now? With still no real demonstration of it?

Last year @ BBW we had the Bold 9900 on display and even if most people felt it was almost a year behind the then current devices at the time, we where kinda ok with it, because we knew what to expect. With the BB OS10 however, we get an alpha device, with no definate specs and no definate time of release. And people wonder why? RIM's stock is still stagnant.

05-03-12 09:00 PM
808 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD