12-05-13 07:17 PM
808 ... 1415161718 ...
tools
    It can always go lower.
    Look look! It's up 3 cents already!

(Obviously kidding)
    06-04-12 01:51 PM
    Not buying to hold. Day traders looking for a little bounce. Game players not investors.
    I think it is people who are betting on a sale. A call option sounds like a pretty good bet there, without investing too much money, in case it doesnt really happen.
    06-04-12 02:32 PM
    Well good luck Only time will tell if we were wise or not. Right now everyone's laughing, but my prospects are looking pretty good if I can get even "book value" for my shares
    Which Book Value??

The Book Value from a year ago, of six months ago, of today? Or the Book Value for six months from now? As the Company's prospects have fallen, so has it's Book Value. There are some real properties that will have value, but most everyone looks to RIM's patents as being it true value. Just how much those are worth and if they can be translated into Stock Value are different things.
    06-04-12 03:30 PM
    Ugggghhhhhhhh...closed at 9.66.
    06-04-12 03:32 PM
    Hello gentelmen, I have been following RIM news closely for the last year and think just about now would be a prime time to invest in Reaserch in Motion. As I have not handled investment accounts previously, I have a few questions I hope you guys could give me some direction with.

How are RIM;TSX and RIMM;NAS: DAQ share prices related?

Would any of you suggest investing now at this all time low, or waiting until later in the month to see how the market reacts to the June 28th earnings call? (Don't forget to explain why)

Thanks for your help guys. I'm looking forward to joining you in owning part of a great Canadian company!
    Last edited by PlayBookUserMT; 06-04-12 at 04:40 PM.
    06-04-12 04:11 PM
    Well first of all - if you are investing - why do you think this is the low?
    06-04-12 04:13 PM
    Just a guess... there's not a whole lot farther down it can go to make any real impact on a decision to buy. How far below book value do you really need to go?
    06-04-12 04:31 PM
    Which Book Value??

The Book Value from a year ago, of six months ago, of today? Or the Book Value for six months from now? As the Company's prospects have fallen, so has it's Book Value. There are some real properties that will have value, but most everyone looks to RIM's patents as being it true value. Just how much those are worth and if they can be translated into Stock Value are different things.
    Absolutely, I agree with that. That's why this is a gut play. I'm no professional investor, but my grandmother, who did very well investing, told me to invest in things I know about, am interested in, and can follow closely. That is RIM to the T, for me So I invest. I'm not claiming some super investing prowess, I'm just very intrigued by RIM and appreciate their ideas and direction. "Get $#!& done!" What an appropriate slogan! I'm a reasonably smart individual () and when I overwhelmingly prefer one handheld device to the other big players, I think to myself, "jeez, there has got to be more people out there that don't want to settle for less!" (And I know many think that the idea of Apple and Android being less is a ridiculous notion. But to that I say, been there, done that, why am I still using Berrys???)
    06-04-12 04:34 PM
    Between the 2 billion in cash, the amount invested in raw materials, patents, its infrastructure, and properties, I don't believe it will fall much further, if at all. If the earning call is truly disturbing I guess it could fall a bit further, but we've been warned to expect a poor Q1 already so I'm not sure if it'll drop more or start to rebound as we approach BB10.
    06-04-12 04:38 PM
    Absolutely, I agree with that. That's why this is a gut play. I'm no professional investor, but my grandmother, who did very well investing, told me to invest in things I know about, am interested in, and can follow closely. That is RIM to the T, for me So I invest.
    Your grandmother's advice is sound for the most part. However if you have an emotional attachment, all that goes by the wayside. Always question your judgment if you are emotionally invested. Be cautious and factor into your decision that you are not completely rational about this.
    06-04-12 04:51 PM
    Your grandmother's advice is sound for the most part. However if you have an emotional attachment, all that goes by the wayside. Always question your judgment if you are emotionally invested. Be cautious and factor into your decision that you are not completely rational about this.
    You are perfectly right and I won't write a word against that.
    But you know what ...
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSWf_yIV-d4[/YT]

P.S: just some fun in this dramatic atmosphere.
    06-04-12 05:09 PM
    Sure, but it's more about cashing in on success, than being emotional People need alternatives, so bring on BB10!
    06-04-12 05:40 PM
    does Chris U visit the forums ? I have some questions. anyone else please feel free to answer:

1 - rim's stock is playing limbo, but im wondering how low can it go...

2 - what happens when it gets to that low ? Is a hostile takeover on the horizon ?

3 - at this rate, the stock will get to 0 before bb10 launches. is there some magic number where rim will stop trading perhaps ?
    06-04-12 06:01 PM
    RIM needs to lay out its roadmap.

The problem with BB10 is that there's no real marketing vision. The average consumer looks at the platform and thinks 'so what?' because they don't understand the potential.

Why? Because no one at RIM has really demonstrated any of it yet.

If there are 6000 layoffs coming for RIM, they better be keeping their best and brightest hardware engineers as well as their top notch OS devs. Everyone else, all those MBAs who think they know how to run a tech company? Get rid of every single one. They're poison because they don't understand what they're selling, they're just selling.

And without a real idea of what they're selling, how can they market anything?

Trim the fat. Become the lean and mean machine that will own the platform of the future. Stop being afraid of your own success and run with this like you stole it.

Now all those hardware engineers can't simply be left idle until the software engineers are done, they better be busy right now. Not just with phones and tablets either. Smart peripherals. You need to add new hardware to your weapons of war. You know BB10 isn't just about phones and tablets, you need to let the public see that.

The current stock of Playbooks and OS6 and 7 phones, move as bundles. Introduce people to QNX. The problem with the comparison between the OS7 phones and the PB OS is that the UI comes across as too similar and thats all people see when first exposed to it. They need to use the system for a while to have the full RTOS experience and the discounted bundles will help that. Get these things into the hands of as many consumers as possible.

The next gen Playbook you've been holding back on? You have show that it can serve as a complete and secure mobile office solution thats expanded on by the BB10 platform and accompanying phones. If this one gets sold as part of a bundle, it should include the option for a later upgrade to a BB10 phone as well.

The platform, you have to explain how to it evolves beyond phone, tablets and cars. The product placement you had on the TV show 'Community', with the Playbook being used to remotely monitor security cameras? Jump on that. Demonstrate how easily it can be deployed in industry. Take a look at every industrial application that QNX and Windows CE ever competed over and aim to own that marketspace.

RIM is not AVRO.
    SlcCorrado likes this.
    06-04-12 06:13 PM
    does Chris U visit the forums ? I have some questions. anyone else please feel free to answer:

1 - rim's stock is playing limbo, but im wondering how low can it go...

2 - what happens when it gets to that low ? Is a hostile takeover on the horizon ?

3 - at this rate, the stock will get to 0 before bb10 launches. is there some magic number where rim will stop trading perhaps ?
    The rules are here:

https://listingcenter.nasdaqomx.com/...inuedguide.pdf

Yes, there are combinations of standards RIM must achieve to stay listed. De-listing isn't likely but a precipitous drop in market capitalization would probably be the cause.

De-listing is another thing RIM doesn't need, but I just don't see that as a short-term risk... (not that they don't have plenty of those)

-CFOT
    06-04-12 06:19 PM
    unless rimm drops below $1 for awhile it likely wont be delisted afaik. it could happen but extremely unlikely since they could possibly do a reverse stock split.
    06-04-12 06:35 PM
    06-05-12 09:14 AM
    Trim the fat. Become the lean and mean machine that will own the platform of the future. Stop being afraid of your own success and run with this like you stole it.
    I like it
    06-05-12 09:57 AM
    Just read that. $10 strike? Its up %5, trading around $10.09 at the moment
    06-05-12 10:03 AM
    As long as RIM doesn't need money, the stock isn't that important. It's just speculation from the markets
    06-05-12 10:08 AM
    yo-yo game, as of time/date stock is back over $10.
    Well, I'll keep my extra $500 for my holidays, unless it goes back 1 digit.
    Will we hit the $10.26 (yesterday opening) ? More ?
    06-05-12 10:11 AM
    yo-yo game, as of time/date stock is back over $10.
    Well, I'll keep my extra $500 for my holidays, unless it goes back 1 digit.
    Will we hit the $10.26 (yesterday opening) ? More ?
    Who knows. Probably settles at $9-10 by friday. Still, I snagged a few shares yesterday for $9.65
    06-05-12 10:28 AM
    As long as RIM doesn't need money, the stock isn't that important. It's just speculation from the markets
    For sure. But some of us are trying to make $$$
    06-05-12 10:28 AM
    Does anyone more informed than me know what the following line means?

Put buying and call selling in the weekly options suggests there is further pain ahead for RIMM shareholders.
    I understand what puts and calls are, but I don't understand why this line suggests further pain. People are buying (and selling...you need a seller for a buy) calls, and they are buying (and selling) puts.

Which just seems to imply to me that there are people who believe RIMM will go up, and there are people who believe it will go down. Just like any other stock. What am I missing?
    06-05-12 11:29 AM
    9.98 @ closing. Let's monitor this tomorrow ... after hours ...
    06-05-12 03:15 PM
808 ... 1415161718 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD