12-05-13 08:17 PM
808 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    do you guys think it will go much lower, or has it kinda reached it's min, and will oscillate around there till bb10 gets out (hopefully goes up then)
    05-29-12 10:38 PM
    do you guys think it will go much lower, or has it kinda reached it's min, and will oscillate around there till bb10 gets out (hopefully goes up then)
    People thought its "min" was $50, then $35, then $20, now $10.
    05-29-12 10:39 PM
    With asset and goodwill writedowns, RIMM's book value will shrink. Prior to current writedowns, RIM's tangible book value was $18.50. Even a $1 Billion write down would bring tangible book value to $17.50.

The company is worth at least $9+ Billion. The market is pricing the smartphone business at zero.
    Because they can't sell them for a profit and keep pouring cash into the effort. This is the kind of thing investors are wary of.
    05-29-12 10:49 PM
    Short summary of an article I read today. (yeah when you get as old as me you won't remember either! )

The gist is that the market is about saturated with 'smart' phones and there is little to differentiate one slab from another. This was more towards the hem-roid market.

With that said, the BB market has been very slow i innovations and the brazilion models is one of the worst marketing plans evah..... give it a rest RIMM and just focus on a few models for the different segment and let the other phones die graceful death.

The market is supporting the present valuation at this level and the invisible hand of economics is saying they have little faith that RIMM can get its act together.

So the CEO and the management team have their work cut out. Not an envious position to be in. As much as we want them to succeed, they will also have to rework their marketing plan with the carriers.

The fact that I cannot tether my PB with my 9800 Torch is very frustrating. WHAT I NEED ANOTHER $50 PLAN!! go on and phaq yo sef ATT..oh wait just bought shares they are booming....and dividends are killer...sigh....
    05-29-12 11:05 PM
    With asset and goodwill writedowns, RIMM's book value will shrink. Prior to current writedowns, RIM's tangible book value was $18.50. Even a $1 Billion write down would bring tangible book value to $17.50.

The company is worth at least $9+ Billion. The market is pricing the smartphone business at zero.
    The book value is meaningless. RIM won't actually be able to dispose off their assets at the price they have been estimated and the disposal will imply costs in itself. If RIM stops making money, they will not just shut shop immediately. They will continue operating at a loss for a short while further eating into cash reserves.

What I do think is undervalued, however, is the strength of their patent portfolio. But I am unwilling to put any money on that bet.
    05-30-12 02:39 AM
    This is ridiculous, BlackBerry smartphone business is worth something, not sure how much but higher than zero. NOC, patents, and QNX are also worth a few billion.

By hiring JP Morgan, RIM has put up the for sale sign. JP Morgan expertise is not technology strategies but finding a strategic investment partner or outright sale.

My worry, BBOS 10 might not see the light of day if the investment bankers convince RIM to sell itself outright. Microsoft has $50 billion in cash and it wants to own the enterprise market.
    Last edited by the_sleuth; 05-30-12 at 08:32 AM.
    05-30-12 07:25 AM
    Time to take the company private.
    05-30-12 09:30 AM
    Time to take the company private.
    Is that even possible?
    05-30-12 09:35 AM
    Stock just dropped a dollar.
    05-30-12 09:55 AM
    Stock just dropped a dollar.
    And Market Cap is about to drop below 5 billions.
    05-30-12 09:57 AM
    If stock price is negative, high volume and the market cap increases, what does that mean?
    05-30-12 10:19 AM
    The stock price is already low, don't worry over a half dollar here or there. The big risk in the future is that BB will rush to market before the product is ready.
    As with the Playbook the company should have learned that the biggest downside is crap product. The market will always wail with impatience. Ignore them. Putting out a polished product will make everything right. It'll fix the stock price, it'll boost the flagging rep of the company and bring back users. I hope BB has learned from the premature Playbook launch.
    My advice to the company is to finish the product rather than rush to market, look after your own long term interest rather than pandering to the quick turnaround junkies of the market.
    05-30-12 10:32 AM
    Is that even possible?
    A company cannot take itself private. A group of investors that wants to do this has to control the majority of voting shares and then can force this through by vote and require all other shareholders to sell their shares to them at the set price.
    05-30-12 10:42 AM
    A company cannot take itself private. A group of investors that wants to do this has to control the majority of voting shares and then can force this through by vote and require all other shareholders to sell their shares to them at the set price.
    Yes and that is technically possible.
    05-30-12 11:29 AM
    Private or public, RIM has the same problems. Despite the fact that they are apparently selling boatloads of devices in Nigeria and Burma, inventory increases, sales decrease, and they announced an operating loss for the next quarter. This is Palm all over again. There's a very real chance that by the time BB10 is released, RIM will be in bad enough shape that it won't help. They'll be too weak to be competitive in the market, even if their technology is competitive.

The stock price isn't anything to be worried about, but the fact that the CEO announced hiring bankers to help should concern people who want to use future BlackBerry devices. RIM is for sale and the buyer may not be interested in fighting for third place.
    05-30-12 11:41 AM
    Man this looks very very similar to Palm and their WebOS disaster. Someone will buy bb, or at least invest heavily in them...hopefully they won't trash bb10.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    05-30-12 12:04 PM
    RIM will be the next Palm.
    05-30-12 12:53 PM
    RIM will be the next Palm.
    Well I hope not, but so far RIM seems to be following Palm's trend, especially in regard to the Osborne Effect.

Palm did that with the introduction of the upcoming and magnificant Web OS, which helped scalp the sales of traditional Palm OS phones (though they didn't announce their new OS nearly in as advance as Blackberry has), and it appears we're seeing the same thing with BB10.

I for one am holding off buying another BB until a BB10 device is introduced (with a physical keyboard), and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone.
    05-30-12 01:29 PM
    "Private or public, RIM has the same problems."

Yes and No. If private, they don't have to respond to daily gyrations and the associated negative press, which impacts buying decisions...
    05-30-12 02:12 PM
    "Private or public, RIM has the same problems."

Yes and No. If private, they don't have to respond to daily gyrations and the associated negative press, which impacts buying decisions...
    Consumers aren't scared away from BlackBerry devices by negative press (though it doesn't help). RIM does not have a device that is competitive on the market right now. Even BlackBerry enthusiasts are scared away because they don't want to buy into the last days of a dying platform (BB7 and the Osbourne effect). So that leaves Canada and emerging markets, which hasn't been enough.

With 2.1 billion in cash, how long can RIM hold out? Not that long if Heinz has announced that they are engaged with banks to discuss options.
    05-30-12 02:37 PM
    Consumers aren't scared away from BlackBerry devices by negative press (though it doesn't help). RIM does not have a device that is competitive on the market right now. Even BlackBerry enthusiasts are scared away because they don't want to buy into the last days of a dying platform (BB7 and the Osbourne effect). So that leaves Canada and emerging markets, which hasn't been enough.

With 2.1 billion in cash, how long can RIM hold out? Not that long if Heinz has announced that they are engaged with banks to discuss options.
    Yeah... folks are not reviewing stock performance while waiting in line to purchase cell phones.

You either make a device that is compelling or you don't.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    1magine likes this.
    05-30-12 02:45 PM
    Yeah... folks are not reviewing stock performance while waiting in line to purchase cell phones.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    True that for consumers. As for the enterprise space. I can not imagine that there are any IT managers who are not preparing contingency plans at this time. There are two earnings calls and 5-6 months before release of BB10. There are legitimate concerns about the long term feasability of the NOC. That is going to very negatively effect the bottom line over the next few months. It make become an unstoppable self fuffilling prophesy. One hopes not. But the concern and the risks are real.
    05-30-12 03:00 PM
    True that for consumers. As for the enterprise space. I can not imagine that there are any IT managers who are not preparing contingency plans at this time. There are two earnings calls and 5-6 months before release of BB10. There are legitimate concerns about the long term feasability of the NOC. That is going to very negatively effect the bottom line over the next few months. It make become an unstoppable self fuffilling prophesy. One hopes not. But the concern and the risks are real.

We have two govt clients who have BB purchases on hold because of concerns about who might end up owning the NOC if RIM is sold or split up.
    05-30-12 03:18 PM

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    What's disturbing to me is the increased amount of ribbing I've been getting over the past few months for using a BB. No one wants to be laughed at for the cell phone they carry. That's a very bad sign, and one that no new device, no matter how compelling, can overcome.
    05-30-12 03:33 PM
    What's disturbing to me is the increased amount of ribbing I've been getting over the past few months for using a BB. No one wants to be laughed at for the cell phone they carry. That's a very bad sign, and one that no new device, no matter how compelling, can overcome.
    How about getting laughed at over developing for the PB? I have been getting that lately.
    05-30-12 03:39 PM
808 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD