12-05-13 07:17 PM
808 ... 1112131415 ...
tools
    Thats why I figure they'll quietly launch it at the online enterprise demo. No point in upselling it to consumers yet, but it represents another testing bed for the last pieces of the BB10 tech: tunable LTE radios. They need to do this to make BB10 perfect. Paratek's stuff needs to be field tested with QNX.

If they market them as smart terminals for citrix-based deployment you can fill an office with dock stations and gain access to your own desktop anywhere you go, even at home, completely secure. It's creates a new flexible work environment, providing access to all the needed apps. Odds are they'll also be rolling out BBM with the LTE models, as the dedicated cellular connection should bypass their previous problem with BBM on the Playbook.

RIM's biggest backlash has come from announcing dates and deadlines. It killed a lot of the faith that investors had in the companies ability to turn itself around. By commiting the BB10 in October, they've given themselves a lot of breathing space to make things perfect. If they add the next-gen playbook to their product line at the same time they're rolling out 2.1 beta they're going to be quietly dropping and demonstrating quality. If they target the enterprise market with a significantly more affordable, portable, secure and maintainable platform than the traditional desktop model they'll clean up.

If I had the money to spare I'd double up on my current ownership. Since Heins first 3 months are over he'll probably look to end June on a high note.
    05-25-12 08:52 PM
    RIM's biggest backlash has come from announcing dates and deadlines. It killed a lot of the faith that investors had in the companies ability to turn itself around. By commiting the BB10 in October, they've given themselves a lot of breathing space to make things perfect.
    Their backlash has come from announcing dates and deadlines, or failing to meet them?

While October is a reasonable expectation if it is to be 2012, has there been any official statements other then later this year?
    05-25-12 09:37 PM
    Their backlash has come from announcing dates and deadlines, or failing to meet them?
    Failing to meet them. Last year's RIM.

They hit the 2.0 deadline. Now they've got a less than a week to roll out the dev beta of 2.1 or they're missing the end of May and they've dropped the ball again on another deadline.

Would not be a good sign.
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-25-12 11:06 PM
    If they target the enterprise market with a significantly more affordable, portable, secure and maintainable platform than the traditional desktop model they'll clean up.

If I had the money to spare I'd double up on my current ownership. Since Heins first 3 months are over he'll probably look to end June on a high note.
    These guys felt the same way:

Cisco sounds death knell for Cius tablet, blames BYOD movement
    05-26-12 07:44 AM
    I think Palm's diehard stockholders had the same discussion.

BTW - the Cius was a complete joke.
    05-26-12 07:56 AM
    I think the stock moved up on Friday because of the rumours of the layoffs, not because of anything to do with this enterprise conference.
    05-26-12 10:57 AM
    It's funny that people compare RIM to HP/Palm in every other post. It demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the complexity of the situation.

For one, they had to know they had nothing in the way of LTE cellular patents. Palm was never a leading phone company and HP is a 3rd rate PC manufacturer. Their later handsets were garbage.

They cancelled their WebOS line a month after they announced their 3.5G tablets. If they'd stayed in the game, they would have been sued by everyone else or lost a significant portion of their profits in licensing when they made the transition newer cellular techologies. Their roadmap had a dead end they never anticipated.

RIM has a patent warchest thats strong in LTE technologies. They've got no worries on that front.
    Last edited by morlock_man; 05-27-12 at 11:10 AM.
    05-27-12 10:52 AM
    It's funny that people compare RIM to HP/Palm in every other post. It demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of the complexity of the situation.

For one, they had to know they had nothing in the way of LTE cellular patents. Palm was never a leading phone company and HP is a 3rd rate PC manufacturer. Their later handsets were garbage.

They cancelled their WebOS line a month after they announced their 3.5G tablets. If they'd stayed in the game, they would have been sued by everyone else or lost a significant portion of their profits in licensing when they made the transition newer cellular techologies. Their roadmap had a dead end they never anticipated.

RIM has a patent warchest thats strong in LTE technologies. They've got no worries on that front.
    Weird. I seem to remember every other post on Precentral being about Palm's untouchable, patent portfolio, having practically invented the smartphone.
    05-27-12 03:02 PM
    Weird. I seem to remember every other post on Precentral being about Palm's untouchable, patent portfolio, having practically invented the smartphone.
    Do they have any LTE patents at all?

It was when HP looked into releasing a 4G Touchpad that they scrapped the whole WebOS product line a month later.
    05-27-12 06:06 PM
    Google has Motorola, Apple has agreements with Nokia.

Who owns 4G mobile technology? • The Register

The register shows RIM holding patents as of last year, but I can't find a recent analysis that lists them. I know they've purchased a bunch when they got Paratek, and their tunable LTE radio ICs are probably going to be a pretty essential technology.

Apple and Android manufacturers will likely be licensing that tech for their own phones if they want to stay competitive. Otherwise they'll have to have multiple production lines to produce region specific phones.
    05-27-12 06:17 PM
    So, what do you think will happen to the stock after they publish the Q1 results(28 June if I'm not mistaking)? Will it go up or down?

Or, in other words, should I buy now at 10$-11$ or wait until then and get it at something lower(5$-8$)?
    05-29-12 02:20 PM
    So, what do you think will happen to the stock after they publish the Q1 results(28 June if I'm not mistaking)? Will it go up or down?

Or, in other words, should I buy now at 10$-11$ or wait until then and get it at something lower(5$-8$)?
    Unless something unforeseen happens, Q1 = $8. I think at that point, it is takeover territory. There is no BB10. Disclaimer... I don't know jack.
    05-29-12 02:24 PM
    Stock down to $10.04 after the press announcement.
    05-29-12 04:15 PM
    Stock down to $10.04 after the press announcement.
    I'm seeing 10:32 after hours.
    05-29-12 04:26 PM

I dont see anything positive happening to the stock until at least the release of BB10. I don't see any reason to get in now.
    bbmme likes this.
    05-29-12 04:35 PM
    See ... this is what I don't get about the Stock Market. The TSE has RIMM at 11.48 ... in other words, up. The Nasdaq is trading down. So ... what's the stock price?
    05-29-12 04:36 PM
    Because they halted trading when it was $11.48 wait until tomorrow and see what happens.
    hpjrt likes this.
    05-29-12 04:38 PM
    11.48 is what price it closed at, the Nasdaq figure is afterhours trading.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    hpjrt likes this.
    05-29-12 04:39 PM
    You don't have to wait until tomorrow, RIM's stock is plunging in after-hours trading. All this after Thorstein Heins announced an expected operating loss for Q1
    05-29-12 04:43 PM
    RIMM dipped as low as $9.50 in after hours on NASDAQ, now settling around $10.30

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    hpjrt likes this.
    05-29-12 05:28 PM
    Damn... Under 10? How do I get etrade to let me do after hours trading? hahaha
    05-29-12 06:59 PM
    WHAT THE HECK is happening to the Stock?! :O
    That's called "tanking."

I laugh every time the stock drops and fanboys make buys, thinking "it can only go up!"

Euro2Low thought it would only go up. Read my sig.

A fanboy and his money are soon parted.
    05-29-12 08:50 PM
    That's called "tanking."

I laugh every time the stock drops and fanboys make buys, thinking "it can only go up!"

Euro2Low thought it would only go up. Read my sig.

A fanboy and his money are soon parted.
    It is a shame how badly some got burned. But we know the company is worth at least 9 bucks a share so I feel fairly comfortable trading at this level
    05-29-12 09:02 PM
    With asset and goodwill writedowns, RIMM's book value will shrink. Prior to current writedowns, RIM's tangible book value was $18.50. Even a $1 Billion write down would bring tangible book value to $17.50.

The company is worth at least $9+ Billion. The market is pricing the smartphone business at zero.
    05-29-12 09:17 PM
    $17.50? Haha, I'd take that
    05-29-12 09:31 PM
808 ... 1112131415 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD