11-18-14 10:49 AM
    Sounds like a tough job to start with.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 10:57 AM
    Sounds like a tough job to start with.
    We'll know he's got it right when they start shipping products that have the expensive components separate from the device-specific "case" so that if you buy a Powermat device and charger, you can upgrade your device, pop out the "expensive" part, and put a new case on your new device and pop the expensive part back in. The way the Powermat devices were made before (or probably are currently) was that if you change devices, you have to basically give the powermat case away with the device at probably no cost (no one pays extra for it)... but if you could keep the core bit and just buy a new "shell" to fit your new phone and pop it in, it might be a device people are less reluctant to invest in.

But that would be bowing to consumer demand and that's not his "thing".
    11-18-14 11:05 AM
    He burned through that 12 million quick.

Posted via CB10
    11-18-14 03:50 PM
    Applause!
    11-19-14 04:36 AM
    Wow do they need someone to run the company into the ground so a for sale sign can be put up?

Posted via CB10
    11-19-14 06:53 AM
    I hope Powermat fails and looks like Thorsten will help with making it a failure, so I suppose they are getting the right guy.
    11-19-14 12:29 PM
    I hope Powermat fails and looks like Thorsten will help with making it a failure, so I suppose they are getting the right guy.
    What a silly and childish comment. Why would you hope a company fails?

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    11-19-14 01:20 PM
    BlackBerry should buy powermat

In Squircle I Trust
    HedoBum likes this.
    11-19-14 11:11 PM
    Good luck to him. BB 10 is a good OS. He did many things right. This forum is so bitter. Its unfortunate.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    11-19-14 11:21 PM
    Good luck to him. BB 10 is a good OS. He did many things right. This forum is so bitter. Its unfortunate.

+1.

Many people here are bitter. These are the same people that called him a savior right up to the point Chen took over. Now Chen is the savior unless somehow goes wrong and then of course they'll quickly forget and dump all over him too.

Posted using my Z10 via CB10
    TGR1, drbgd and m1a1mg like this.
    11-19-14 11:51 PM

+2

Even the cb main article had too much childish/ teenagers like comments. As if TH had personally wronged them or something.

CB10 @ Q5
    11-20-14 10:19 AM

+3

Agreed th did a lot to start the turn around after the co founders flopped around like a magickarp for the last 4 years.

If th hadn't stepped in we probably would have never seen bb10

In Squircle I Trust
    11-20-14 10:58 AM

+4

This! If not for him and his job cuts the company would probably have gone bankrupt even before they decided to bring in Chen. The fact that he brought BB10 and contributed to PP, people should be thankful.

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 11:27 AM
    He did his part for sure, he pushed his teams and delivered Bb10. He also had the clearest shot at succeeding, and that's where he failed. Carrier support was there, marketing budget was there, and the markets gave him the benefit of the doubt, for a successful product launch.

As an operations guy, he was right for the task, but as a CEO?, NO. Without knowing all the details, I'm guessing, but, he wasn't focused or experience enough to take on that role at that time.

There's a big difference between ," I think I can", and, "I know I can".

Posted via CB10
    11-20-14 11:59 AM
    We'll know he's got it right when they start shipping products that have the expensive components separate from the device-specific "case" so that if you buy a Powermat device and charger, you can upgrade your device, pop out the "expensive" part, and put a new case on your new device and pop the expensive part back in. The way the Powermat devices were made before (or probably are currently) was that if you change devices, you have to basically give the powermat case away with the device at probably no cost (no one pays extra for it)... but if you could keep the core bit and just buy a new "shell" to fit your new phone and pop it in, it might be a device people are less reluctant to invest in.

But that would be bowing to consumer demand and that's not his "thing".
    But why would you use a tech where you need a bulky case to have the ability to charge it without a wire when you can buy a battery case that is the same bulk on the device or carry the wire in your bag and have a less bulky device?

Powermat is great because it brings wireless charging to all devices that don't have it, but the way it does that doesn't make sense to me. You are trading bulk for bulk and you get less with it. If they could build in a nice sized battery with the case that would be something to look at, but im not going to add a case to my phone if I use its features once every two days (passport battery ftw).

The other thing is that the designs are limited. If I want a leather flip case I can't use Powermat at all. If they made different case designs that add to the feature list that would help them a lot

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 09:02 AM

Yes, I agree. Grow up folks, he was given an utter mess to clean up while Board of Directors groomed his successor in secret. I like Chen but he got someone else to do the dirty work.

Posted via CB10
    11-21-14 11:49 PM
    He is on the record basically denying BlackBerry's legacy as one would deny a criminal record, and making statements to the effect of 'despite customers asking for an updated BB10 Bold, we won't do that', and killing the PlayBook with extreme prejudice.

He deserves the criticism. especially when you contrast his decisions against Chen's, who's first move was to embrace BlackBerry's legacy and announced the Classic mere weeks after he started, and refocusing on enterprise customers, achieving improvements to the stock price and earning almost unanimous acclaim from competent industry analysts.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 11-23-14 at 05:38 PM.
    11-23-14 05:27 PM
    Thorsten fell into the Peter Principle with BlackBerry: he rose to a level beyond his competency. As an ops guy he was quite effective, as a strategic executive not so much. This happens in business all the time, especially to very smart people.

As for the Classic being part of Chen's BlackBerry, even if it was announced during his tenure the design, tooling, and component sourcing would have already been in the works. We really won't get a true indication of John Chen's BlackBerry from a hardware perspective until calendar year 2015.

Posted via CB10
    drbgd likes this.
    12-02-14 06:05 AM
    You clearly aren't the guy to make business with! Hope you stick to playing Candy Crash and watching soaps.
    rthonpm likes this.
    12-02-14 06:08 AM
    Why do you wish evil to happen to someone?
    If TH has wronged you in any way, why do you want a different entity (Powermat) to fail...?

(there is a difference between a silly joke that I might have pulled, and something close to a downright curse that you have pronounced...)

Would you appreciate if someone hoped for you to lose your job or for your company to go bankrupt? There are spiritual principles working in this world, believe it or not, we reap what we sow...

All the best to you... :-)

? ? ? Zzzzwipetyped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    12-04-14 03:50 PM
    Why do you wish evil to happen to someone?
    If TH has wronged you in any way, why do you want a different entity (Powermat) to fail...?

(there is a difference between a silly joke that I might have pulled, and something close to a downright curse that you have pronounced...)

Would you appreciate if someone hoped for you to lose your job or for your company to go bankrupt? There are spiritual principles working in this world, believe it or not, we reap what we sow...

All the best to you... :-)

? ? ? Zzzzwipetyped from The Maskport - Zzzzmoqin'.... ? ? ?
    Exactly right. It's pathetic to wish for someone else to fail.

Posted via CB10
    bidagreat1 likes this.
    12-05-14 08:01 PM
    +5

Wanted someone to fail because of a previous failure is beyond childish! Chen just happens to be the better man for the job....grow up people.

"Posted from the Beast PP"
    12-14-14 07:52 PM