09-27-13 07:23 AM
129 123 ...
tools
    I just read this article that talks about iPhone users protesting manufacturing plant conditions. On the one side I can see a tiny dent in iProducts if Apple ignores its user base. But at the same time, I wonder if BlackBerry manufacturing plants are any better. Does anyone have any insight to BB operations? http://m.nbcbayarea.com/nbcbayarea/p...tguid=nrqWKKlG

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    02-09-12 10:55 PM
    I just read this article that talks about iPhone users protesting manufacturing plant conditions. On the one side I can see a tiny dent in iProducts if Apple ignores its user base. But at the same time, I wonder if BlackBerry manufacturing plans are any better. Does anyone have any insight to BB operations? NBC Bay Area : 'Ethical iPhone' Protests at Apple Stores

RIMM doesn't have any plants in China.

BlackBerrys are made in:
    Canada - strong labour laws here
    Mexico - less laws, but more then China
    Taiwan - stronger labour laws then China
    Hungary - stronger labour laws then China
    Brazil - no clue, but assume better then China
    Malaysia - no clue, but assume better then China
    02-10-12 01:56 AM
    I pretty much think anywhere is better than china. I mean they have nets around the roof to prevent suicide. I strongly believe the u.s.a. should have standards for products manufactured outside the u.s.
    scott.slater and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    02-10-12 02:07 AM
    I strongly believe the u.s.a. should have standards for products manufactured outside the u.s.
    Me too...It would do wonders for the working conditions around the world, & also, maybe even keep more jobs in the US. I read that the banks are expecting 1 million forclosures in 2012...That's a LARGE number, that would be 1 house in 300 if every American owned a house, & as we know that they don't, that means its 1 in a way smaller number

BUT I don't expect that to ever happen. The people who own the Polititions are the same guys who are using companys like Foxconn.

The way things are in the US right now, I'm glad I live in Canada
    02-10-12 02:21 AM
    I just read this article that talks about iPhone users protesting manufacturing plant conditions. On the one side I can see a tiny dent in iProducts if Apple ignores its user base. But at the same time, I wonder if BlackBerry manufacturing plans are any better. Does anyone have any insight to BB operations? NBC Bay Area : 'Ethical iPhone' Protests at Apple Stores

In another thread, we determined that only the PARTS of blackberries are made in China. Probably not in Foxconn plants, there are tons of other plants more "under the radar".

Parts are snapped together in Mexico, thus the "made in mexico" label. All the innards say "made in china".

I'm going to tear down my old Blackberry later today and post photos.
    02-10-12 06:58 AM

A lot of RIM internals and accessories are made in china. By whom and where we don't know because RIM have no transparency. Actually, only China is referenced on the inside so perhaps everything is made there.

RIM should probably clarify that.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    02-10-12 07:58 AM
    difficult to get any moral high ground on this one...if these products were not produced in china we probably wouldnt be able to afford them. One could possibly assume that high spec products would by nessecity require better working conditions than say the textile industry. But you have to remember , the only reason electronic goods are affordable now is because of cheap labour.
    02-10-12 08:08 AM
    RIMM doesn't have any plants in China.

BlackBerrys are made in:
    Canada - strong labour laws here
    Mexico - less laws, but more then China
    Taiwan - stronger labour laws then China
    Hungary - stronger labour laws then China
    Brazil - no clue, but assume better then China
    Malaysia - no clue, but assume better then China
    Somehow "better labor laws than China" is not all that comforting; it's like saying you're the richest person in a homeless shelter.

Also, you left out Quanta Taiwan, which manufactures the PlayBook, at least when they're in production.
    mca312 and VanCity778 like this.
    02-10-12 08:10 AM
    Somehow "better labor laws than China" is not all that comforting; it's like saying you're the richest person in a homeless shelter.

Also, you left out Quanta Taiwan, which manufactures the PlayBook, at least when they're in production.
    Good point, you can argue there are better labour laws in europe than the US for example.
    02-10-12 08:13 AM
    RIM has some parts/components made in China. Everyone does....but

Apple has been using Foxconn for quite a while and "Analysts estimate that Apple will be roughly 40 percent of Foxconn’s revenue in 2012." (CNET)

Apple is a MAJOR Foxconn client. Foxconn is the largest private employer in Mainland China. Foxconn is based in Taiwan.

RIM doesn't have a lot going-on with Foxconn. If I'm getting the right internet info they have other suppliers like Elcoteq, Celestica, Flextronics...and I think RIM owns a factory in Malaysia

So yes...those iProducts are being made in questionable working conditions...

Ex. Foxconn is criticized for putting nets around factory dorms to 'catch people attempting suicide'
    02-10-12 08:23 AM
    Does anyone talking about this and on their high horse doing anything or just posting your opinion on forums?

If you are doing nothing then stop these threads.

Do you know of anything made that does not contain parts made in China?

Apple certainly isn't the only one but they are the most high profile one that makes profits up the rear. RIM certainly isn't the only one to use parts from China and labeled made elsewhere.

Where do iproducts say they are made? Do you see made in China on them?
    i7guy likes this.
    02-10-12 08:26 AM
    Again, I am SO THANKFUL the internet did not exist hundreds of years ago.

Reactionary Europeans would have boycotted the horrible conditions in New England factories, we'd have never industrialized, and we'd still be walking behind a mule.

I am sure the Foxconn employees would literally weep if they knew that we are lobbying to increase the price of production in China, which would mean that fewer of them can pull themselves out of the agrarian subsistence economy by industrializing.

It is as if we are using our position on the ladder merely to stomp on the fingers of those attempting to climb up.
    GreenCopperz likes this.
    02-10-12 08:29 AM
    Well the city of Manchester did boycot american cotton during the civil war, for which we recieved a statue of Lincoln in gratitude. It still stands today.
    02-10-12 08:39 AM
    Again, I am SO THANKFUL the internet did not exist hundreds of years ago.

Reactionary Europeans would have boycotted the horrible conditions in New England factories, we'd have never industrialized, and we'd still be walking behind a mule.

I am sure the Foxconn employees would literally weep if they knew that we are lobbying to increase the price of production in China, which would mean that fewer of them can pull themselves out of the agrarian subsistence economy by industrializing.

It is as if we are using our position on the ladder merely to stomp on the fingers of those attempting to climb up.
    So child labor is acceptable in factories as long as you come out ahead in the end? Thank God no protest against that!

Damn Internet
    02-10-12 08:44 AM
    I do wonder how terrible of a condition the person who made my iPhone 4 was working under. I do feel very sorry for those people.

But again, it's not just Apple, as was said in the post above. If you explored just about every tech company, in some step of the manufacturing process China is involved. If it wasn't, you'd see a HUGE difference in price.
    02-10-12 08:48 AM
    So child labor is acceptable in factories as long as you come out ahead in the end? Thank God no protest against that!

Damn Internet
    What child labor? Source?

02-10-12 08:49 AM
    I do wonder how terrible of a condition the person who made my iPhone 4 was working under. I do feel very sorry for those people.

But again, it's not just Apple, as was said in the post above. If you explored just about every tech company, in some step of the manufacturing process China is involved. If it wasn't, you'd see a HUGE difference in price.
    Heck, check the clothes your wearing there are far worst conditions employed than who made your phone.
    02-10-12 08:50 AM
    What child labor? Source?

Palmless made the ridiculous statement of thank god no internet during the American industrial revolution so no mass protest could stop it.

Child labor was employed at that time. An actual practice in my hometown of Pittsburgh
    02-10-12 08:53 AM
    Palmless made the ridiculous statement of thank god no internet during the American industrial revolution so no mass protest could stop it.

Child labor was employed at that time. An actual practice in my hometown of Pittsburgh
    Ahh. I was child labor. My father required that I worked summers for his company when I was back in school. Started at 12 years old. I respect him greatly for doing so. I made less than the Chinese tho so maybe I should be pissed! Course, I was 12 and gradually made more so I was probably in the 1%er range of kids.

Last edited by xandermac; 02-10-12 at 09:00 AM.
    02-10-12 08:57 AM
    Ahh. I was child labor. My father required that I worked summers for his company when I was back in school. Started at 12 years old. I respect him greatly for doing so. I made less than the Chinese tho so maybe I should be pissed!

Glad you find the practice acceptable. Glad to see you didn't lose any limbs in the process

And come on you don't find his defense of poor working conditions extremely ridiculous.
    02-10-12 09:00 AM
    Glad you find the practice acceptable. Glad to see you didn't lose any limbs in the process
    As am I!!!! I learned a lot, gained valuable experience and responsibility. It sure beat pissing my summers away.

As a side note, when I was 15 in my last year of high school (in England) I was required to participate in the "work experience" program (government mandated at the time). I had to use my "spring break" to go to work for a company (the Jacksons GE plant in chipping sodbury in my case) for two weeks unpaid. In the design department. I loved it. I designed a new rocker switch and a washing machine drum. Nothing spectacular but it was quite an accomplishment for me at the time.

Last edited by xandermac; 02-10-12 at 09:08 AM.
    02-10-12 09:01 AM
    As am I!!!! I learned a lot, gained valuable experience and responsibility. It sure beat pissing my summers away.

As a side note, when I was 15 in my last year of high school (in England) I was required to participate in the "work experience" program (government mandated at the time). I had to use my "spring break" to go to work for a company (the Jacksons GE plant in chipping sodbury in my case) for two weeks unpaid. In the design department. I loved it.

Xander working at his dad company.

Attachment 102445
    02-10-12 09:08 AM
    Xander working at his dad company.

Attachment 102445
    I love it!!!!!

02-10-12 09:11 AM
    I love it!!!!!

Nothing like working in that coal mine at 12 years old. Those damn kids had free ride for 11 years, right.
    02-10-12 09:12 AM
    Heck, check the clothes your wearing there are far worst conditions employed than who made your phone.
    Very true. I guess it's the cost of cheap prices.
    02-10-12 09:12 AM
129 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD