11-02-13 04:34 PM
35 12
tools
    I found the following article a good read. It's not about doom and gloom but more of transformation. And it's quite possible this is how it'll unfold and turn out. If you have some time, please take a read. I think it's one of a few analyses out there that's even-keeled and not subjective..

Chicago Grid | What BlackBerry needs to do to survive

Thank you.
    11-01-13 04:36 AM
    Thanks for the read. What BlackBerry needs to survive is apps.
    11-01-13 05:39 AM
    We're not getting apps. Its a catch 22. Developers want to see user base to make apps for BlackBerry but we can't get a large enough user base without having apps
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    11-01-13 05:44 AM
    Then BlackBerry better dip into its large reserve of cash to hire app developers to write the apps people want.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 05:49 AM
    I have always had the question in the back of my mind: if what's needed to save BB is apps, firstly do they (BB) realize that, and secondly, if they realize that, what are they going to do about it? If there is absolutely nothing they can do about the app situation, does that mean nobody and nothing can save them (BB)?
    11-01-13 06:03 AM
    There goes that apps story again. I still don't get why its such an issue. 3rd party apps are made by third parties and not BlackBerry. If 3rd party app developers don't what to make apps for BlackBerry, its not BB's fault rather the developers and us the users. If we want a specific app on our blackberries we should approach the developers and do some serious advocating to have the make them for our choice of os
    11-01-13 06:05 AM
    It's unbelievable, in comparison, Samsung galaxy note sold 1 million units in its first quarter and was considered a success, or iPhone which sold 300,000 its first quarter, 1.1 million in the second quarter, 2.3 in the third, 1.7 in the fourth, and only 700,00 a year and a quarter after its release. These numbers have been beaten by BB10 already and it is seen as a failure.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    11-01-13 06:27 AM
    I feel like much of the board is permanently 1 year to 2 years behind. 2 to 1.5 years is normal, then horrible events happen and the catastrophic cognitive dissonance causes you guys to update.....to just 1 year behind.

BB needed apps ONE YEAR AGO. It's WAY too late now. Of course, they won't get any apps at all now - no new development (so that also renders the point moot), BUT even in an imaginary world where all the major app developers decided to work on and release bb10 apps, it would still be completely futile now.

I am, in a way, glad you've caught up to what some of us were calling for a year or more ago, but it doesn't apply now. I haven't made any call for apps in a very long time - because it's pointless now. It's like yokels standing around a year after the war, saying: what we need er some guns!

Let's pretend all the apps jump on board now, you have completely rejected z10 and q10, underpowered z30, an OS that gained no traction, and a company on the brink of collapse/sale/breakup. Meanwhile the 5s, s4, note and nexus are out. ios 7 and new android are here. You think people are going to flock to the phone now....because it has apps that match iphone/android??? Why would anyone in their right mind do that??? they would not.

bb10 is absolutely dead. If they had the money, (they do not), BB's only chance would be......whew....go back, completely revamp for bb11...THIS time, they genuinely would need to leapfrog the competition, they would need to do that fast - catch up and leapfrog all while google/apple keep moving forward. They would then need to reconvince the carriers, developers and consumers that THIS time it will be different - probably impossible. They blew their chance....with BB10, carriers rallied behind it, threw tons of support at it. Even though extremists deny it the carriers did LOTS of marketing, gave it widespread coverage, and then....lost money - they aren't too impressed with BB behind closed doors I assure you....in that sense Thor and co. poisoned the well even if they had the money to go on - the same applies to developers.

They would need to do all those miracles, and then come up with competitive hardware and get it out the door on time. Will this happen? Of course not. It's....as likely as Crackberry Kevin and winning the next Olympic decathalon.
    11-01-13 06:28 AM
    From what I gathered from the article is that BB goes the way of IBM. That's what the writer of the article is alluding to. A decade ago, IBM saw the writing on the wall. Being an OEM for Windows was a "diminishing returns" affair. They got out of the PC business by selling that part to Lenovo and concentrated instead on services. They're doing quite well now.

With regards to BB, their hardware and especially the OS is miles ahead of of what it used to be. But the target has moved - big time. The Z30/Z10/Q10/Q5, for all intents and purposes, are just on par with the best on the market now. And the app ecosystem is not even close. The writer of this article is just stating that maybe Blackberry can bank on it's technology between the hardware; BBM and the Blackberry Enterprise Server and the baked in security that it is well known for.

Basically, this is what IBM did to transform itself to continue to be a viable and profitable corporation.
    JMDxRIM likes this.
    11-01-13 07:21 AM
    It's unbelievable, in comparison, Samsung galaxy note sold 1 million units in its first quarter and was considered a success, or iPhone which sold 300,000 its first quarter, 1.1 million in the second quarter, 2.3 in the third, 1.7 in the fourth, and only 700,00 a year and a quarter after its release. These numbers have been beaten by BB10 already and it is seen as a failure.

Posted via CB10
    Listen buddy, Samsung does much more then sell damn phones. They build everything from ships to refrigerators. The same with Apple (to a lesser extent), when the original iPhone was released they were peddling other successful hardware lines.

BlackBerry 's entire business is based on mobile phones. When a company does not have other divisions to prop up its emerging plays it has limited survival when adoption is moving at such a slow pace.
    11-01-13 07:42 AM
    Writers, much like this guy, forget that BlackBerry is not alone in the MDM market. That market is quite full and competition is fierce. Yes, BB is the known commodity, but the bottom dollar rules.
    11-01-13 07:57 AM
    Listen buddy, Samsung does much more then sell damn phones. They build everything from ships to refrigerators. The same with Apple (to a lesser extent), when the original iPhone was released they were peddling other successful hardware lines.

BlackBerry 's entire business is based on mobile phones. When a company does not have other divisions to prop up its emerging plays it has limited survival when adoption is moving at such a slow pace.
    First off, I'm not your buddy, got it?
    The fact that other new phones I mentioned were deemed successful was my point, knowone said it was profitable.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 08:00 AM
    Then BlackBerry better dip into its large reserve of cash to hire app developers to write the apps people want.

Posted via CB10
    The apps that people complain about the most, can't be written by anyone who isn't the company itself. I am sure that Blackberry has offered them money, but there is industry politics involved.
    11-01-13 08:04 AM
    Customers. What gets customers?
    11-01-13 08:06 AM
    First off, I'm not your buddy, got it?
    The fact that other new phones I mentioned were deemed successful was my point, knowone said it was profitable.

Posted via CB10
    Listen buddy, you need to learn how to read.

And nobody deemed the Note or iPhone successful until the second generation models were released and people began to take notice.

Both the original iPhone and Note were heavily criticized as being 'controversial' products people wouldn't want.

You have ZERO idea what you're talking about.
    11-01-13 08:13 AM
    Even with positive examples of successful transformations, negativity reigns. Oh woe is me. Well, I guess we die and flip each other the proverbial bird.
    11-01-13 08:19 AM
    Even with a lot of apps in bb world sales wouldn't be that great. The brand is weak, the OS needs to be more consumer friendly, they need more compatible products (tablet, pc, tv, wearable), they need AI tech, and they have to optimize the OS for low end hardware.
    11-01-13 08:29 AM
    Listen buddy, you need to learn how to read.

And nobody deemed the Note or iPhone successful until the second generation models were released and people began to take notice.

Both the original iPhone and Note were heavily criticized as being 'controversial' products people wouldn't want.

You have ZERO idea what you're talking about.
    Now run along little boy

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 08:32 AM
    Now run along little boy

Posted via CB10
    No answer to being corrected I guess hahaha. You must be embarrassed.

Who's next?
    11-01-13 08:54 AM
    No answer to being corrected I guess hahaha. You must be embarrassed.

Who's next?
    I know you have some serious issues.

Posted via CB10
    11-01-13 08:59 AM
    I know you have some serious issues.

Posted via CB10

So why do you keep quoting then?

Either stay on the thread topic and discussion or move along.

Save the insults for your husband.
    11-01-13 09:12 AM
    BB needs to innovate in a big way.

Yes, BB needs apps, but I don't think that alone is enough. The BB ecosystem pales in comparison to iOS or Android, even if BB paid the development costs and received all the major apps they'd still only be just as good as the rest. Why would someone swap platforms for the same features? The reason Apple, Google, and Samsung are profitable is they are pushing innovation forward. You can argue who's winning the battle but at the end of the day each company is constantly bringing new features to the table that peak the public's interest.

What has BB recently brought to the table that nobody else has? Please don't say BBM, in 2013 (almost 2014) an IM client is not new, exciting, or worth swapping platforms for.
    11-01-13 09:40 AM
    The apps alone won't change people perception that the company is out of touch and that their products are obsolete.
    jaydee5799 likes this.
    11-01-13 10:00 AM
    Interesting read. What I took out of it is BlackBerry will exit the hardware business.
    11-01-13 10:54 AM
    More Money
    More Time
    New CEO
    New management
    New software engineers ( a lot of them )
    New PR Team
    New Marketing Team
    More Money
    More Time
    New hardware engineers that can design a device and get into production before it is obsolete.
    New quality control department
    New security department
    New developer relations department that has a budget that allow for "what ever it takes"
    More Money
    More Time
    A reason for consumers to care
    11-01-13 11:21 AM
35 12