Apple is differentiating itself in hardware. This is very risky for Blackberry, as a software patch can't fix this. Apple will have :

• sapphire screens
    • force touch
    • it already has a fingerprint scanner as well as focus pixels.

Blackberry has done a decent job differentiating itself at a hardware level, with the Passport keypad, and keyboard and toolbelt, etc. But it has to catch and innovate. I realize the screen is taken care of by Corning, but Blackberry will need a response to force touch. As well, why doesn't Blackberry have a cloud option for Blackberry users? Apple has iCloud, Microsoft OneDrive, etc. Blackberry is known for security, in light of the iCloud hacks, why isn't Blackberry monetizing on this? As well, Chen wants to increase in software and services, this is a great way of doing this. It could provide a stable monthly income for Blackberry, assuming users are charged per month. But aside from monetizing, it intices users to move to the BB10 platform since you get access to more than just the phone, but services that come along with it. The BB cloud could also be potentially available for other platforms as well. What do you think?
    04-07-15 10:09 PM
    I just want BlackBerry Protect to have all the features it used to have but apparently that's asking too much.

Hopefully the slider will pack more of the innovations you seek. Should be a nice device

Posted via CB10
    04-08-15 03:11 AM
    From what I read, only the iPhones's camera lenses are made of sapphire glass. Not the front screen.

Suffer Now & Live The Rest Of Your Life As A Champion
    04-08-15 03:16 AM
    What is Dropbox or Box if not a cloud service? I use them, albeit for personal use, but still use them. Quite like the ease of use, and the fact I can sync them to the phone and don't have to think about syncing as it's automatically done once you set it up.

Posted via my White Passport!
    04-08-15 03:26 AM
    From what I read, only the iPhones's camera lenses are made of sapphire glass. Not the front screen.

Yep, they had a little tussle with their supplier, and they didn't deliver in time for iP6... :-|

  Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....  
    04-08-15 11:58 PM
    For BlackBerry to establish a native cloud service would take a tremendous amount of investment. Maybe they'll buy a smaller player in the future.
    southlander likes this.
    04-09-15 01:10 AM
    BlackBerry doesn't "need" a response to Force Touch. Does BlackBerry "need" a finger print scanner? A face detection system? A heart rate monitor? These are all features that people have said BlackBerry "needs" too, but BlackBerry obviously doesn't feel that these features are enough to warrant investment ($$$) in.

Force Touch on an iPhone might work because of the fact that an iPhone is all touch and doesn't have any buttons, but who knows if that experience would be equally as positive on a full qwerty device.

I'm not saying that BlackBerry shouldn't innovate. I'm just saying that this game of catch up that people think BlackBerry needs to be playing has already been played. BlackBerry played catch up for years, when they had a lot more money to be throwing around. Now? I don't think it's a good idea to try and chase Android and Apple, but instead continue to build on what BlackBerry is good at, like the keyboard. How great is the Passport's keyboard? BlackBerry is innovating, it's just not in the same direction as Apple.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 03:27 AM
  8. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BlackBerry doesn't "need" a response to Force Touch. Does BlackBerry "need" a finger print scanner? A face detection system? A heart rate monitor? These are all features that people have said BlackBerry "needs" too, but BlackBerry obviously doesn't feel that these features are enough to warrant investment ($$$) in.

Force Touch on an iPhone might work because of the fact that an iPhone is all touch and doesn't have any buttons, but who knows if that experience would be equally as positive on a full qwerty device.

I'm not saying that BlackBerry shouldn't innovate. I'm just saying that this game of catch up that people think BlackBerry needs to be playing has already been played. BlackBerry played catch up for years, when they had a lot more money to be throwing around. Now? I don't think it's a good idea to try and chase Android and Apple, but instead continue to build on what BlackBerry is good at, like the keyboard. How great is the Passport's keyboard? BlackBerry is innovating, it's just not in the same direction as Apple.

Posted via CB10
    +1 well said... innovation comes in different forms... no need to copy a competitor.... when you can be original...
    Passport is very innovative... sounds like the Blackberry Slider will be too!... more to come.....

Posted via CB10
    04-09-15 03:35 AM

Sapphire is also on the stainless steel version of the Apple Watch.
    04-09-15 03:11 PM
    These investments in innovation sounds like mostly fixed costs. That means Apple spreads these costs over 75 million iPhones plus whatever other hardware (iPads, notebooks, watches, etc.) they sell each quarter. A lot of these innovations actually come from acquisitions of other companies - for example Touch ID came from AuthenTec.

You're saying that Blackberry needs to make the same kind of investments and spread them over fewer than 2 million marginally profitable smartphones and no other hardware? How's that going to work financially?
    Last edited by early2bed; 04-09-15 at 03:32 PM.
    04-09-15 03:15 PM
    So when BlackBerry had "force touch" on the BlackBerry Storm, launched in 2008, the technology was laughed at for being antiquated, etc. Yet, when Apple uses it 7 years later, the technology is somehow now magical and wonderful?

So much of this bull**** these days...
    04-09-15 03:59 PM
    Apple is differentiating itself in hardware. This is very risky for Blackberry, as a software patch can't fix this. Apple will have :

• sapphire screens
    • force touch

Blackberry has done a decent job differentiating itself at a hardware level, with the Passport keypad, and keyboard and toolbelt, etc. But it has to catch and innovate. I realize the screen is taken care of by Corning, but Blackberry will need a response to force touch. As well, why doesn't Blackberry have a cloud option for Blackberry users? Apple has iCloud, Microsoft OneDrive, etc. Blackberry is known for security, in light of the iCloud hacks, why isn't Blackberry monetizing on this? As well, Chen wants to increase in software and services, this is a great way of doing this. It could provide a stable monthly income for Blackberry, assuming users are charged per month. But aside from monetizing, it intices users to move to the BB10 platform since you get access to more than just the phone, but services that come along with it. The BB cloud could also be potentially available for other platforms as well. What do you think?
    Because cloud services are highly competitive and companies are getting squeezed out.

I've got over 230 GB from one drive for 2 years without paying a cent.

Nowadays, it seems you need to give 15gb free just to attract users.

So if they offered a cloud service, theyd have the complexity and security to look after, aid NSA in backdooring the cloud, etc, and not really get additional revenue unless it brought new users to the table.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal likes this.
    04-09-15 04:33 PM
    Yes, I agree with what you are saying, I wasn't looking at it at that point of view initially.
    04-10-15 12:35 AM
    Well, no, I just believe for the average person, when they see the eventual sapphire screen, force touch and already touch ID, when they look at the Blackberry, they will ask themselves, "Does the Blackberry have that". Because Apple has the most amount of cash, and the most amount of marketing, they are the standard that is often being compared to, at least, for the average costumer.
    04-10-15 12:37 AM
    True, it was more or less just an observation that Blackberry didn't have a cloud service to offer when compared to competitors. But then again, competitors are much larger in terms of work force and the products they offer.
    04-10-15 12:38 AM
    I am talking about a future iPhone.
    04-10-15 12:39 AM
    I am talking about a future iPhone.
    Dude, use the "Quote" button so people know who you are replying to. Otherwise, your replies don't have context.
    04-10-15 01:10 AM
    Well, no, I just believe for the average person, when they see the eventual sapphire screen, force touch and already touch ID, when they look at the Blackberry, they will ask themselves, "Does the Blackberry have that". Because Apple has the most amount of cash, and the most amount of marketing, they are the standard that is often being compared to, at least, for the average costumer.
    I don't know about any of that. I'd like to consider myself more than the average person, and I don't really know what any of those things are and I don't really care to have them or not. OK, I know what touch ID is. But it isn't any faster or more secure than any other form of password (in fact, it could be arguably less secure if someone were to take your finger.
    The average person does care about marketing, sure. But features like the type of glass or touch screen?? I don't think so. I'll go educate myself on what this 'force touch' is but I really don't think that there is much more improvement to the touch screen technology that already exists that the 'average' consumer will get too excited about.

Posted via my BlackBerry Passport
    04-10-15 01:16 AM

• sapphire screens
    • force touch

All good points, but go into any cell phone store here in the USA and see how many keyboard devices you see?

The market now is for touch screen devices, period and Blackberry should be focusing on bringing one to market!

I am only basing this on what I have seen in my travels. I haven't seen anyone using a Blackberry and/or keyboard device anymore.

All I see stuck to folks ears here are iPhones, Galaxies and other Android touch screen devices. I think Blackberry should look at what the majority of consumer and business folks are using these days because it's not keyboard based devices based on my observations!!!
    Bbnivende likes this.
    04-10-15 05:00 AM
    All I see stuck to folks ears here are iPhones, Galaxies and other Android touch screen devices. I think Blackberry should look at what the majority of consumer and business folks are using these days because it's not keyboard based devices based on my observations!
    But the question is, should they release a full touch with the latest specs for $300 on a 2 year contract (around $900 outright)? Because that's approximately how much it would retail for.

BlackBerry doesn't command the brand power nor does BB10 have the market share to do so.
    04-10-15 10:03 AM
    Dude, use the "Quote" button so people know who you are replying to. Otherwise, your replies don't have context.
    Yup, realized that after I had posted all of my replies. Sorry about that.
    04-10-15 03:33 PM