So far I haven't seen any battery sizes mentioned for the new phones. My S1 is acceptable with it's 1380 mAh battery but looking at the specs & pics of these sleek new thinner phones I'm concerned about battery life. I doubt they're going to have bigger batteries - more likely they'll be smaller, but with the faster chips what's gonna happen to battery life? Is it possible to put in a smaller battery yet have equal or better battery life with improved power management? Any ideas? Any rumors?
    01-29-11 07:46 PM
    No rumors yet, but I suspect you'll see similar battery life to the device that is being replaced.

I can't see RIM completely throwing away battery life, the Torch is about as bad as I hope they go. if it gets much worse and extended batteries don't become available, I'll be looking for new phones.
    01-29-11 07:49 PM
    No rumors yet, but I suspect you'll see similar battery life to the device that is being replaced.

I can't see RIM completely throwing away battery life, the Torch is about as bad as I hope they go. if it gets much worse and extended batteries don't become available, I'll be looking for new phones.
    Huh? Unless somethings changed..the "Monaco" is rumoured to have a 1230 mAh..much too small imo. And this with the bigger processor and better resolution..

Exclusive: BlackBerry Storm 3 shows up, tells all | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    01-29-11 08:02 PM
    Huh? Unless somethings changed..the "Monaco" is rumoured to have a 1230 mAh..much too small imo. And this with the bigger processor and better resolution..

Exclusive: BlackBerry Storm 3 shows up, tells all | BGR | Boy Genius Report
    I missed that!
    that said, the processor COULD be more efficient, but I doubt it
    01-29-11 08:13 PM
    I missed that!
    that said, the processor COULD be more efficient, but I doubt it
    Agreed. RIM does coding very well..but I just don't think it's going to be possible to maintain decent battery life IF it is a 1230 mAh. But at this point it's all speculation anyways..
    01-29-11 08:16 PM
    Agreed. RIM does coding very well..but I just don't think it's going to be possible to maintain decent battery life IF it is a 1230 mAh. But at this point it's all speculation anyways..
    I expect I'll be routinely charging the phone at work and in the car from now on.
    01-29-11 08:23 PM
    RIM has three factors in their "paradox" of building phones and battery life is one of them. They will not sacrifice battery life.
    01-29-11 09:15 PM
    I also agree RIM will keep battery life as a priority. I have the Torch and find the battery very good.
    01-30-11 12:57 AM
    I also agree RIM will keep battery life as a priority. I have the Torch and find the battery very good.
    sometimes I don't recharge my Torch for 2 days, on day one, when I leave work it is usually around 80% , I am a moderate user, 30-40 emails, a little browsing on stocks, news etc, 20-30 minutes of calling and few times on BBM.
    01-30-11 01:30 AM
    sometimes I don't recharge my Torch for 2 days, on day one, when I leave work it is usually around 80% , I am a moderate user, 30-40 emails, a little browsing on stocks, news etc, 20-30 minutes of calling and few times on BBM.
    that is not even moderate use...
    01-30-11 04:49 AM
    Aftermarket extended batteries will be made weeks after the phone's release. ebay has them for current blackberries and other smart/phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-11 05:38 AM
    People are funny! No way you did all that and at 80% battery life...as that is not moderate...

I always tout the battery life of my 9700 and I am a heavy user, streaming music, constantly on web and BBMing, some phone calls and texts per day and I usually pull off charger at 7am and is blinking low battery at end of day at 11pm when I go to bed...and this is one of the better phones for battery life.

I call shenanigans!

All I know is if I can get through a work day with a full charge, I will be good to go. Don't want to have to carry chargers around with me and not in car much....or long when I am in it.

Battery life does look sad if that is the battery they are putting in the Storm...if so, looks like the Dakota is looking more appealing...but heard that won't be all that great on battery life either.

Really hoping they up the mah's on these or you can get an extender, but these are some slim phones coming out.

01-30-11 06:51 AM
    My Storm 1 is my main "device" which does everything. It's a phone - a messenger - a video player - MP3 player - PDA - etc etc. It's allowed me to remain "iFree" and I use the crap out of it. I've got an audio book playing whenever I'm driving or doing some mindless chore, a video running when I'm standing in line, eating, or otherwise bored, and of course the radio is always in communication, so I'm obviously a "Heavy" battery user, especially since most of the above activity requires the stereo bluetooth to be connected as well. I have a charger at work, in the car, at home, and 2 spare batteries. That being said I am impressed with the battery life. My experience is way better than anyone I've seen with the Fruit or Robot based PDAs.
    I am obviously concerned about battery life and it's in my top 3 of things to consider when choosing my next phone.
    I guess it's not fair for me to expect RIM to come up with magic - after all - what started out as a wonderful cell-phone/messaging/PDA is now expected to do everything - faster - brighter - and get smaller at the same time!
    Are we asking too much??
    01-30-11 11:14 AM
    My Storm 1 is my main "device" which does everything. It's a phone - a messenger - a video player - MP3 player - PDA - etc etc. It's allowed me to remain "iFree" and I use the crap out of it. I've got an audio book playing whenever I'm driving or doing some mindless chore, a video running when I'm standing in line, eating, or otherwise bored, and of course the radio is always in communication, so I'm obviously a "Heavy" battery user, especially since most of the above activity requires the stereo bluetooth to be connected as well. I have a charger at work, in the car, at home, and 2 spare batteries. That being said I am impressed with the battery life. My experience is way better than anyone I've seen with the Fruit or Robot based PDAs.
    I am obviously concerned about battery life and it's in my top 3 of things to consider when choosing my next phone.
    I guess it's not fair for me to expect RIM to come up with magic - after all - what started out as a wonderful cell-phone/messaging/PDA is now expected to do everything - faster - brighter - and get smaller at the same time!
    Are we asking too much??
    Yes. We lose track of how much these devices are doing as it stands and always want more without any interruption. It's the nature of mankind.
    01-30-11 11:22 AM
    People are funny! No way you did all that and at 80% battery life...as that is not moderate...

I always tout the battery life of my 9700 and I am a heavy user, streaming music, constantly on web and BBMing, some phone calls and texts per day and I usually pull off charger at 7am and is blinking low battery at end of day at 11pm when I go to bed...and this is one of the better phones for battery life.

I call shenanigans!

All I know is if I can get through a work day with a full charge, I will be good to go. Don't want to have to carry chargers around with me and not in car much....or long when I am in it.

Battery life does look sad if that is the battery they are putting in the Storm...if so, looks like the Dakota is looking more appealing...but heard that won't be all that great on battery life either.

Really hoping they up the mah's on these or you can get an extender, but these are some slim phones coming out.

I treat heavy usage as listening to music, streaming video, playing games and browsing a lot etc. by 30-40 emails I meant viewing and replying to some and about 15-30 minutes talktime/perday is a moderate usage to me. Firstly, I take some precautions to preserve the battery life, I don't install battery sucking apps for example vlingo used to squeeze the battery on my Torch, second I keep the screen brightness around 70% and third I close the apps that are not required and rather than keeping them in the background. I think you should replace the battery on your 9700 as at sometimes I used to stretch out 3 days without recharging it when I had a 9700. Although I had observed the battery on my Torch from 80% level drops very quickly (may be from there it goes another 16-18 hours before hitting a red waring and 0%). I don't know if wifi boosts the battery or not but most of the times I am on wifi i.e at work and at home. May be I should have said that it as two workdays (morning 9AM to 6PM the next day) than complete 48 hours.
    Last edited by sf49ers; 01-30-11 at 12:03 PM.
    01-30-11 11:51 AM
    With the same small batteries and 4G on the horizon, there's no doubt that battery life will decrease. The more you require out of your device, the more juice it requires to run, especially when on 3/4G.
    01-30-11 06:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD