08-21-14 01:01 PM
131 ... 3456
tools
    Menu button = overflow menu when in-app, or = hub when on home screen?

The hub idea sounds interesting.
    02-26-14 09:46 PM
    I wish Sprint would make the Z30 I have the Q but the keyboard takes WAY too much Real Estate...I wish we could trade lol
    02-26-14 10:04 PM
    You know the funny thing: RIM/BlackBerry already supported that device with OS updates longer than most other (non-Apple) tablets I've seen.

My Android tablet came out 5 months after the Playbook (2011-08 vs 2011-04) and the last SW update for it was ICS in 2012-06.

Whereas the Playbook OS had an update released as recently as 2013-09.

That's over twice as long supporting the OS with updates.
    Good point. Though I think a lot of us who have or have had PlayBooks would have loved to have seen many BlackBerry 10 elements on it. Just having cascades apps alone instead of sluggish AIR apps and a newer browser probably would have prompted me not to give mine to my step-dad. I'm liking my Kindle Fire HDX, but finding myself missing a lot of things I liked about the PlayBook.
    02-26-14 10:07 PM
    (Because BB10s text-editing/cursor control is not great)
    Compared to BBOS devices it is, but if you compare it to Android or iOS devices it's way better. (not counting SPen ect.)

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 11:11 PM
    WHY would we need a menu button? & for which menu? The one on the Left? The one on the Right? Or the settings on Top?
    I think the main reason for the four buttons is that they want to make the device look familiar, even if it operates differently than BBOS.

Also, a heavy trackpad user will want to use the menu button to operate on whatever they have selected. For instance, if they have selected some text, they might want to copy or cut it. If they have selected some messages, they may want to delete them, or mark them as read.

For this reason I suspect that the menu key will activate the right side menu, and that the most common menu item will be highlighted to begin with.
    02-27-14 02:10 AM
    Also, maybe you can navigate to the other menus from the right side menu. For instance, you select some text and press menu. The right menu pops up, with the "Copy" item selected. You use the trackpad to scroll up through the menu. When you get to the top and keep going up, the top menu activates, and you can move left and right through the menus there.

I think this could actually work pretty well!
    02-27-14 02:14 AM
    Compared to BBOS devices it is, but if you compare it to Android or iOS devices it's way better. (not counting SPen ect.)

I disagree. I find the cursor movement/positioning mechanism on BB10 to be horrible compared to Android as well as the copy/paste functionality.

The 10.2 popup copy/paste helps, but it is extremely difficult to highlight the text I want to highlight especially when it traverses multiple lines. I also have troubles getting the edit circle or copy dialogue to popup when I want them (and not when I do NOT want them), and oftentimes cannot paste where I want either. (Try pasting text into the BBM edit window when there is already text in it. Next to impossible in my experience.)
    anand_ma likes this.
    02-27-14 03:14 AM
    I think the main reason for the four buttons is that they want to make the device look familiar, even if it operates differently than BBOS.

What a dumb reason.

Also, a heavy trackpad user will want to use the menu button to operate on whatever they have selected. For instance, if they have selected some text, they might want to copy or cut it. If they have selected some messages, they may want to delete them, or mark them as read.

This functionality does not exist in the BB10 OS at present, so it would require a major re-work of the UI for such devices to make this function. I'm not sure I'm particularly confident they will do a good job at this. As it is, the UI on a square-screened device is horrible, the UI buttons, widgets and chrome dominate the screen and don't leave enough space for actual content. They really really need to fix that.

Also, maybe you can navigate to the other menus from the right side menu. For instance, you select some text and press menu. The right menu pops up, with the "Copy" item selected. You use the trackpad to scroll up through the menu.

I really miss that on the legacy devices, I was an absolute speed demon getting things done using the 3rd-party Quicklaunch utility. Spacebar to popup menu (also wakes up device), scroll to item, press, DONE.

On BB10 I have to press a button or swipe up to wake up the device, root around for the icon I want which might entail minimizing current app to background, a bunch of left or right swipes and going into subfolders, and if I'm lucky click it at that point. If I'm not lucky, a bunch more UI moves before I can do what I want.
    02-27-14 03:20 AM
    The Foxconn deal has resulted in a much shorter time to market, 4 months for the latest Z3. Hopefully Foxconn's QA will be better than Blackberry's (someone posted about poor quality assurance by Blackberry above.)

So if Blackberry can bring devices to market quicker, and at more current specs (Crackberry Kevin said the Blackberry exec had a glint in his eye when he raised this with him) then we should all be very happy.
    02-27-14 06:00 AM
    Hopefully Foxconn's QA will be better than Blackberry's (someone posted about poor quality assurance by Blackberry above.)

Actually my experience with Blackberry hardware has been excellent, perhaps even outstanding.

The QA issues I was referring to in response to the "QA" comment pertains to the OS and software on the device.
    02-27-14 06:28 AM
    The Foxconn deal has resulted in a much shorter time to market, 4 months for the latest Z3. Hopefully Foxconn's QA will be better than Blackberry's (someone posted about poor quality assurance by Blackberry above.)
    Actually, I've had tons of BlackBerrys over the years and never had an issue with any of them from a hardware perspective, except maybe one gummed trackball on the 8900. A lot of them have suffered falls and drops that have been pretty impressive.

Was speaking more about the software side of the fence. All OS software out there has "defects", but I'm still finding there are more than there should be with BlackBerrys, even with BlackBerry 10. It shouldn't be random rebooting for me still, but it does from time to time.
    02-27-14 09:19 AM
    Actually, I've had tons of BlackBerrys over the years and never had an issue with any of them from a hardware perspective, except maybe one gummed trackball on the 8900. A lot of them have suffered falls and drops that have been pretty impressive.

Was speaking more about the software side of the fence. All OS software out there has "defects", but I'm still finding there are more than there should be with BlackBerrys, even with BlackBerry 10. It shouldn't be random rebooting for me still, but it does from time to time.
    They all do it lol, this iphone does it at least once or twice a week. It reboots fast though. Plus apps crash like there's no tomorrow, even native apps like Podcasts.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    02-27-14 09:24 AM
    This functionality does not exist in the BB10 OS at present, so it would require a major re-work of the UI for such devices to make this function. I'm not sure I'm particularly confident they will do a good job at this.
    Yeah, I'm not sure they can pull it off either. It means that all their widgets and menus need to be "focusable".

I'm worried that they'll just end up making the trackpad into a mouse, which won't be very useful.

And I'm also worried that they'll give us the three-row qwerty keyboard without shift or alt.

But if they don't manage to screw it up, it will be pretty cool!

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 11:17 AM
    Yeah, I'm not sure they can pull it off either. It means that all their widgets and menus need to be "focusable".

I'm worried that they'll just end up making the trackpad into a mouse, which won't be very useful.

And I'm also worried that they'll give us the three-row qwerty keyboard without shift or alt.

But if they don't manage to screw it up, it will be pretty cool!
    One good thing (& the only thing I'm kinda looking forward to with the "belt" is maybe the smilie-face keyboard will return

I like my Q10 keyboard, but I do miss the smile.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 01:58 PM
    Sure wish they would allow blacklists to block phone calls.

Can someone familiar with tech tell me why you can use parental controls to not allow anyone who isn't on a contact list to call but a blacklist can't be made? What the hell is an API and why is it such a huge deal?

Come on. Please do something.

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 03:36 PM
    They all do it lol, this iphone does it at least once or twice a week. It reboots fast though. Plus apps crash like there's no tomorrow, even native apps like Podcasts.

So you DO have an iPhone. You claimed it was an iPod when I asked you about it lol

Posted via CB10
    02-27-14 04:14 PM
    So you DO have an iPhone. You claimed it was an iPod when I asked you about it lol

Posted via CB10
    No no, it's used as an iPod touch.

02-27-14 04:21 PM
    I'm ok with them bringing the valued BBOS features to BB10. I want that too, I'm just not sure how the belt will work with this OS. WHY would we need a menu button? & for which menu? The one on the Left? The one on the Right? Or the settings on Top? It just doesn't work.

Posted via CB10

Maybe it could work like a right click on windows desktops (or long press on bb10)

so you highlight a chunk of text (using the trackpad- woo!) and rather than long pressing your selection in order to invoke the cut/paste/share/etc menu, u can hit the menu button...
    02-27-14 04:49 PM
    Sure wish they would allow blacklists to block phone calls.

Can someone familiar with tech tell me why you can use parental controls to not allow anyone who isn't on a contact list to call but a blacklist can't be made? What the hell is an API and why is it such a huge deal?

API is an acronym for "Application Programming Interface".

In a nutshell, it refers to the "hooks" that an OS provides for 3rd-party software vendors to access various forms of data or controls to/from the operating system.

In the case of call blocking, if the native OS does not provide this feature, then you cannot install a 3rd-party app to accomplish call blocking by number.

With the old BBOS, there was an API that provided realtime data, if desired, to 3rd-party apps, about the presence and details (ie, the number of the caller, if available) that a 3rd-party app could use to determine whether or not to block a phone call based on the number of the caller, and then block it or prevent it from ringing.

That API function does not exist in BB10. Until that changes, or until BlackBerry decides to add a call-blocking feature in the native OS itself, you cannot have that capability.

This is an example of how the company "re-invented the wheel" on the OS by turning over development to people who, by-and-large, had little experience with the older OS and little interaction with the staff that developed it.

And in addition to that, the management probably just thought it was an "unimportant feature".

(One counterpoint: this could also be abused by a malicious app to facilitate, for example, a "chargeback" scheme where a malicious app requests some sort of secret callback that bills the user for the call, but hides that call from the user. This may have been a factor in not re-implementing such a feature, though it could still be offered if, for example, the vetting process for malicious apps was thorough enough to ensure that they are not exploiting this.)
    Doggerz likes this.
    02-27-14 08:40 PM
    With today's announcements BlackBerry is swinging for the fences!
    1. Cheap full touch Z3
    2. Bring back the belt Q20
    3. BES to support legacy BlackBerry devices BES12
    4. secure BBM eBBM
    5. What's next?
    5a PlayBook upgrade to BB10
    5b Android apps officially supported and built in BlackBerry World.

I mean really they have hit most of the current pain point, just fix #5 and all will be good!

Posted via CB10
    Agree with all above.

I would like to add the option of opting for BIS on blackberry 10 devices.
    That would really bring back grin to many faces I am sure.
    02-28-14 11:22 AM
    Agree with all above.

I would like to add the option of opting for BIS on blackberry 10 devices.
    That would really bring back grin to many faces I am sure.
    Probably on CrackBerry. Doubt in public most people know what a "BIS" is or what benefits it brings.
    03-01-14 01:05 PM
    Doubt in public most people know what a "BIS" is or what benefits it brings.

Don't forget all the detriments. And there are plenty.
    03-01-14 06:08 PM
    Codenamed Ontario... Octa-core 64bit phone. This year..fingers crossed.

Z10... next Ontario!
    03-01-14 06:47 PM
    Would like to see bb10 tablet from blackberry

Posted via CB10
    03-01-14 07:04 PM
    I read this today and found it very interesting, I think we'll see BIS or some sort if BIS make a comeback. Chen is fixing all Thor's mistakes.

" When it comes to more specific criticisms, Chen slammed Heins decision to cave in on carriers demands to slash service-access fees without having a credible plan to replace the revenue they generated. The result of this decision was that BlackBerrys carrier revenue streams completely cratered at the same time its smartphone sales were falling apart at the seams, a massive double whammy that left the company with earnings that failed to meet already-low consensus estimates."

03-02-14 02:01 PM
131 ... 3456