08-21-14 12:01 PM
131 ... 23456
tools
    Anyone else feel that one of BlackBerry's biggest weaknesses is actually it's QA?

I've stated that on CB many times.
    02-26-14 11:30 AM
    They do though.. Unless im misunderstanding what your saying?

Wouldnt the '3' '4' '4s' '5' '5s' '5c' etc be model numbers?

EDIT: Looking back at the comment you replied to, I think you meant Apple doesnt put 'spec sheets' on their devices?

No. I'm referring to on the device itself.

Apple does not put "model numbers" on their devices.

It might say "iPhone", or it might say "iMac", or it might say "iPad" or "MacBook", but there is no "model number" in any easily-visible place. There is no "5s" visible anywhere on the outside of an iPhone 5s.

They will typically hide some cryptic product code someplace that is almost invisible. In the case of a Mac computer, you generally have to use a system info tool within the OS to see which exact model it is.

For iPads, they refuse to make any generational distinction, in fact I think they will berate a journalist if they publish an article that uses a term like "iPad 3" (a naming convention that people came up with on their own to make the generational distinction, because Apple steadfastly refuses to do this), telling them "Just say 'New iPad'", etc.

This is actually not that uncommon for Smartphones, but it's very uncommon for laptop and desktop computers.
    02-26-14 11:39 AM
    Don't forget the Corvair.

BBOS: Unsafe at Any Speed!!!
    02-26-14 11:41 AM
    Next we will be bringing-back DDT, the Dalkon Shield, Thalidomide for pregnant women, and the Ford Pinto.
    Yeah, I remember the same kind of responses about the trackpad before the belt made a comeback. I might just take a screenshot of your post to come back to it later.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    02-26-14 11:49 AM
    As has been pointed-out repeatedly and in detail before:

A) Your provider is over-charging you
    B) Outlook.com (ie Hotmail, etc) can be used with private domains now

Most people pay the same price you pay for email and get better functionality.
    I don't need EAS, the only reason I'd have to buy it is to replicate BIS push email. No thank you. Imap idle + BIS is more them I'll ever need.

02-26-14 11:57 AM
    Infamous yes, but also right, hence the move back to BBOS values. They've been trying to bring back BBOS features since the launch. Now they're bringing back the belt.

Thor gets no credit, he's the one who took the trackpad away and in an interview with CB he declared it never coming back.

They should've listened to me long time ago, I did tell them while I was a BB Elite. They had to waste a few billions before they did it.

Well your looking very proud of yourself. Does this mean that when the Q20 comes out you will buy it & stop using your iPhone? (which btw has even less BBOS features then BB10)

Personally I'm dreading seeing the Q20 belt, but am curious to see what it looks like & how it sells. I just hope that they will still release a Q30 in the summer without the "belt"...Though I'm not sure they will as that may be a bit redundant

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 12:53 PM
    Well your looking very proud of yourself. Does this mean that when the Q20 comes out you will buy it & stop using your iPhone? (which btw has even less BBOS features then BB10)

Personally I'm dreading seeing the Q20 belt, but am curious to see what it looks like & how it sells. I just hope that they will still release a Q30 in the summer without the "belt"...Though I'm not sure they will as that may be a bit redundant

Posted via CB10
    I actually use a Pearl 3G at the moment, the iphone is just an iPod touch.

02-26-14 12:56 PM
    It's Chen's way of bring BlackBerry back from the dead! And into the future!
    As if bringing back the belt is the same thing as bringing BlackBerry into the future.
    02-26-14 01:00 PM
    I actually use a Pearl 3G at the moment, the iphone is just an iPod touch.

Wait so your not even using a modern BBOS phone?

My mom use to own that phone years ago. It's 4 years old. Has BBOS 5 & doesn't have a QWERTY keyboard (has an alphanumeric keyboard that uses SureType)

PS: SureType is the best alphanumeric keyboard around; but it's no QWERTY

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 01:09 PM
    Think that BB10 will not run on the PlayBook as it has 1gb of ram. The z3 has 1,5 gb of ram so I guess that is the minimum to run bb10.

And when I check my current ram usage on my z10 it uses also 1,5gb.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 01:45 PM
    Infamous yes, but also right, hence the move back to BBOS values. They've been trying to bring back BBOS features since the launch. Now they're bringing back the belt.

Im not sure you have been proven right, yet. You said (in your infamous thread):

My prediction is this summer a new BBOS device will be launched, how good will it is debatable, I was very disappointed the last time with the 9720.

There has been no indication at all of any new BBOS devices being made/launched. A BB10 device with a trackpad is certainly not a new BBOS device..
    kbz1960, Omnitech and Vorkosigan like this.
    02-26-14 01:49 PM

My mom use to own that phone years ago. It's 4 years old. Has BBOS 5 & doesn't have a QWERTY keyboard (has an alphanumeric keyboard that uses SureType)

Posted via CB10
    My 9900 went to a good home when I upgraded to the Q10, I just use what was left in the house, I also have a 8320, 8310, 8800, 8707v, 8220 and a 7230

02-26-14 01:56 PM
    Im not sure you have been proven right, yet. You said (in your infamous thread):

My prediction is this summer a new BBOS device will be launched, how good will it is debatable, I was very disappointed the last time with the 9720.

There has been no indication at all of any new BBOS devices being made/launched. A BB10 device with a trackpad is certainly not a new BBOS device..
    And again, this has nothing to do with that thread, there was another thread a couple of months ago about trackpad. It's closed now.

02-26-14 01:58 PM

Here we go, my prediction, the proof:

Well, BlackBerry is fixing (almost) everything!-imageuploadedbycb-forums1393445179.325643.jpg

I actually said it in a few threads, check the date.

02-26-14 02:06 PM
    Here we go, my prediction, the proof:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByCB Forums1393445179.325643.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	310.8 KB 
ID:	251122

I actually said it in a few threads, check the date.

Fair enough, you were right about the trackpad coming back... I'm glad you were right too.

I thought you were claiming to be correct about BBOS making a comeback. Are you still thinking they might make a new BBOS phone? Seems to me they're just going to try bringing the valued features from BBOS into BB10, but no plans to make a new phone running on OS7...
    02-26-14 02:23 PM
    Fair enough, you were right about the trackpad coming back... I'm glad you were right too.

I thought you were claiming to be correct about BBOS making a comeback. Are you still thinking they might make a new BBOS phone? Seems to me they're just going to try bringing the valued features from BBOS into BB10, but no plans to make a new phone running on OS7...
    As far as I know that's still on too. If they make it it will probably be the last, especially with this new focus in getting the classic blackberry functions back into BB10.

02-26-14 02:31 PM
    Yeah, I remember the same kind of responses about the trackpad before the belt made a comeback. I might just take a screenshot of your post to come back to it later.

Feel free.

I have stated on many occasions that I would like to see the call/end buttons return, and either a virtual or physical trackpad, because text editing on BB10 is too fiddly for me. (Which I think could be largely fixed, they just need better UI engineers.)

Whereas I see little point in the "back" and "menu" buttons on BB10.
    02-26-14 03:27 PM
    ...especially with this new focus in getting the classic blackberry functions back into BB10.

Which I actually view, mostly, as evidence the company has no new ideas.

We already know Chen is ignorant about the phone market in general. He had to hire another executive who knows about phones.

Probably customers like DoD and other large regulated institutions were the ones he was listening to wrt to the old style buttons and so on.

But they are working to appease a small group of people who unfortunately have an exaggerated degree of importance when their sales are at such low levels.

Samsung sells more smartphones in a month than BlackBerry does in probably 2 years, at this point.
    02-26-14 03:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    To be fair, the Pearl 3G can run OS 6. And it does on pretty much every carrier everywhere except on AT&T where they are stuck on OS 5 officially.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 04:40 PM
    My predictions: Aside from the Z3 and Q20 coming out this year I think we will see a Q30 (50?) and a Z50 be released to consumer markets [this will be interesting to see, especially at T-Mobile. Sprint better f'n carry this ] The Q30/50 being a souped up, larger, and beastly Q10-type device and the Z50 being the octa-core flagship we saw in the benchmarks. That would be the followup to the Z30. I'm not sure we'll see a successor to the Z10.
    02-26-14 04:54 PM

I'm ok with them bringing the valued BBOS features to BB10. I want that too, I'm just not sure how the belt will work with this OS. WHY would we need a menu button? & for which menu? The one on the Left? The one on the Right? Or the settings on Top? It just doesn't work.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 05:58 PM
    PlayBook is dead. Give it up.

Posted via CB10
    Pilchard likes this.
    02-26-14 06:15 PM
    PlayBook is dead. Give it up.

You know the funny thing: RIM/BlackBerry already supported that device with OS updates longer than most other (non-Apple) tablets I've seen.

My Android tablet came out 5 months after the Playbook (2011-08 vs 2011-04) and the last SW update for it was ICS in 2012-06.

Whereas the Playbook OS had an update released as recently as 2013-09.

That's over twice as long supporting the OS with updates.
    Karan Mohal and Vorkosigan like this.
    02-26-14 06:47 PM
    I'm just not sure how the belt will work with this OS. WHY would we need a menu button? & for which menu? The one on the Left? The one on the Right? Or the settings on Top? It just doesn't work.

Yep. I've said repeatedly that I like the idea of dedicated buttons for call/end (which could also be used for other things, on legacy the end button was also the power/sleep button), and the trackpad. (Because BB10s text-editing/cursor control is not great)

But the menu and back buttons seem sort of pointless. (Well with one exception: back button would be handy for some Android apps. )
    02-26-14 06:53 PM
    Menu button = overflow menu when in-app, or = hub when on home screen?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 08:16 PM
131 ... 23456