08-21-14 12:01 PM
131 12345 ...
tools
    The referenced user is infamous around here for constantly claiming the old OS and devices were superior to the newer OS and devices.
    Infamous yes, but also right, hence the move back to BBOS values. They've been trying to bring back BBOS features since the launch. Now they're bringing back the belt.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-26-14 04:15 AM
    I'm with you Belfast. Bringing back all the BBOS shortcuts and ease of use, combined with the superior OS of BB10, should be a real winner! If indeed the Q20 has all of this and more, I might - jut might - give up my 9700, which I'm happy to say is still going strong!
    02-26-14 06:31 AM
    I'm with you Belfast. Bringing back all the BBOS shortcuts and ease of use, combined with the superior OS of BB10, should be a real winner! If indeed the Q20 has all of this and more, I might - jut might - give up my 9700, which I'm happy to say is still going strong!
    I see thus as the very first and a very big step in the direction of what BlackBerry users want in a blackberry device (not what most of the market wants from a smartphone)

Next in the pipeline I hope it's the BIS email, after all, BBM is powered by te NOCs and BIS plans are no longer needed, so why wouldn't BIS email work as well?

02-26-14 06:40 AM
    5a will not happen
    02-26-14 06:43 AM
    I look at the Q20 and think, BlackBerry did some market research and belfastdispatcher is the only one who replied.
    probably slept soundly as well, upon hearing this news
    02-26-14 07:43 AM
    Go for the Z30. I switched from a Bold and I have no regrets. The touchscreen keyboard is awesome!

Posted via CB10
    YES! I couldn't agree more!

Under my old Torch 9800/10, I "really" wanted this 'best-of-both-worlds combo' OR 'nothing.' One thing I knew, though, was the screen size was a bigger factor for me than the real keyboard, so when I needed to upgrade, there was ONLY ONE choice for me: Z30.

I was apprehensive about the all-touch keyboard, but decided to try ... and "now" I am a LOT less hardline - and hard up - for the real keyboard. I found I can type MUCH faster on the touch and the auto-suggest is kicker to boot. Not that I wouldn't consider a Z30-slider ... THAT would really rock! Either way, the Z30 will be with me a gooood loooooong time to come; though I LOVE that the tool belt is coming back on (some or all?) new future devices.

So, the saying "don't knock it til you've tried it" REALLY DOES apply here.

Why not give the Z30 a fair shake ... that means more than 15 minutes in the store or at a friend's house.

Just sayin' ...
    02-26-14 08:30 AM
    I see thus as the very first and a very big step in the direction of what BlackBerry users want in a blackberry device (not what most of the market wants from a smartphone)

Next in the pipeline I hope it's the BIS email, after all, BBM is powered by te NOCs and BIS plans are no longer needed, so why wouldn't BIS email work as well?

So if you get what you want, then would there be any difference between BB10 and BBOS?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 08:36 AM
    So if you get what you want, then would there be any difference between BB10 and BBOS?

Posted via CB10
    If I get what I want there will be no need for BBOS anymore as the best parts of BBOS will be part of BB10.

02-26-14 08:39 AM
    If I get what I want there will be no need for BBOS anymore as the best parts of BBOS will be part of BB10.

Anything besides BIS and the track pad?

Although push email does have the instantaneous-ness of BIS.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 08:44 AM
    Anything besides BIS and the track pad?

Although push email does have the instantaneous-ness of BIS.

Posted via CB10
    Auto on/off would be next big thing on my list and from my own experience with imap idle email accounts, BB10 push email is nowhere near as fast or reliable as BIS push email.

bpmg4u and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    02-26-14 08:52 AM
    I guess you are not hearing what Chen is saying. He is saying that BlackBerry is out of the consumer high end tech spec market. High end is for enterprise not the mass consumer market. The company is in a fight for its very existence and taking on high end consumer focused competitors will spell the end of the company. So you can forget about a huge investment in high end specs for consumers, at least for the time being. I guess that might change if the company turns around, which is far from certain.

For the time being, I'm looking at the software improvements that can be made to make my Z10 better. And I hope that in a year from now BlackBerry will be out to win over more of the high end device crowd. Listening to Chen, I am not holding my breath.
    So CEO's aren't also consumers? They don't like high end phones? I guess that's why most carry their old bb and an iPhone? So the corporate end phone will be high end but not as high end as a consumer model?
    02-26-14 08:55 AM
    Auto on/off would be next big thing on my list and from my own experience with imap idle email accounts, BB10 push email is nowhere near as fast or reliable as BIS push email.

All of my accounts with push are EAS, anyway. Email comes, phone blinks, Outlook (if installed) pops something up at the same time.

I would like one thing from BBOS email, alias support. Most of the rest is too dependent on infrastructure that will be phased out.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 08:55 AM
    All of my accounts with push are EAS, anyway. Email comes, phone blinks, Outlook (if installed) pops something up at the same time.

I would like one thing from BBOS email, alias support. Most of the rest is too dependent on infrastructure that will be phased out.

Posted via CB10
    Who said the infrastructure will be fazed out? What do you think powers BBM and BES? It's still the NOCs, they aren't going anywhere.

As for emails you're lucky you have EAS, I don't, it would cost me at least extra 20 a month to enable EAS on my main email accounts.

02-26-14 08:59 AM
    Who said the infrastructure will be fazed out? What do you think powers BBM and BES? It's still the NOCs, they aren't going anywhere.

As for emails you're lucky you have EAS, I don't, it would cost me at least extra 20 a month to enable EAS on my main email accounts.

I didn't know Hotmail was that expensive.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 09:02 AM
    I didn't know Hotmail was that expensive.

Posted via CB10
    Hotmail? I use @mybusiness.com not hotmail.

02-26-14 09:04 AM
    Thor gets no credit, he's the one who took the trackpad away and in an interview with CB he declared it never coming back.

YES!, not only that, but TH came across as the only authority on what BB's users really wanted. Despite what the user community was saying.
    Changes were made solely to distance a struggling (new) BlackBerry from its RIM origins and image, NOT to deliver a "better, improved or easier" ... anything.
    To be fair, it WAS an upside-down time in Waterloo, and quick & easy (speak: "rash") decisions needed to be made. And, to be fair again, with THAT much touch-screen capacity, the tool-bar just didn't SEEM necessary: ALL its functions were still there in swipe-gestures and other places.

Still, the fact is TH said many things that were either counterproductive or even downright ill-conceived, and his stand on the tool-bar is one great example (prematurely promising a BB10 Playbook upgrade was another). Far as I saw or heard, no-one EVER made a hard link between BBRY's ruined image/brand and the tool-bar. Yet because of RIM's & TH's new "ditch everything old" and touch-screen only religion, and likely also to save costs, the highly visible iconic marker had to go.
    So, the users who LOVED its functionality stayed away. In droves.

With a "classic" BB coming back, I would hope many former users might do the same, and current legacy-device users will finally upgrade. Because the rest of the device platform is downright kick-a$$ rocking it out of the park.

Where TH DOES deserve plenty of credit is in daring break new ground for BBRY with sleek new-device-styling, insisting that the platform be rock-solid AND reliable (though the early days WERE still shaky), and taking a high-profile position in the media as a Steve-Jobs-esque pitchman. I can't pass judgement on how good or effective he was, but he presented himself as MUCH more articulated, visible AND charismatic than both his predecessors combined ever were. Most importantly, he wasn't either of them: the face of the new direction and era.
    02-26-14 09:07 AM
    If you read Kevin's latest blurb on "There where be many BlackBerry "Classic" models like the Q20" I think he hints that High-end isn't forgotten:
    "On the subject of high-en phones. I (Kevin) voiced my gripe that in the past it has often felt like BlackBerry's high-end phones always feel a little "too late" compared to some other flagship devices hitting the market from other manufacturers on the hardware and specs front. Francois (Francois Mahieu VP of Global Product Management) seemed pretty confident that we will be pleased with what we see as BlackBerry continues to forge ahead and that new high-end devices will be competitive."
    02-26-14 09:13 AM
    He'd get the benefits that BlackBerry 10 brings to the table as well ... a touchscreen designed UI, ability to install massive apps without rebooting, a browser that's actually quick, a (in my experience) more stable platform etc.
    02-26-14 09:15 AM
    prematurely promising a BB10 Playbook upgrade was another
    I have no idea if Sebastien's leaving was voluntary or not, but I saw him and Dan Dodge as the one who really needed a thwacking over this. Thorsten was the public face of the company and took the egg (as he should), but all accounts I've heard were that he was actually a straight shooter. He went on information he was given and Sebastien and Dan would be the ones who "forgot" to make sure the BlackBerry 10 OS ran on the two QNX devices already in field ... PlayBook and PlayBook LTE. The whole thing smacks of "yeah - we'll think about it later" and then discovering, "Oh my - this is going to be hard". Some checks needed to be in place from an architecture and engineering perspective. The head of development and CTO own that responsibility.

insisting that the platform be rock-solid AND reliable (though the early days WERE still shaky)
    Anyone else feel that one of BlackBerry's biggest weaknesses is actually it's QA? Playing with my new Kindle Fire has reminded me of how eloquent they can make the user experience when they want. There's a lot of cool features I like. And I thought the Z10 was a much more complete product than the PlayBook and a much more robust product than the Storm.

But they still have too many "oops" moments out of the gate. I still have occasional random reboots, I still have messed up contacts, I still have Link failing to do almost everything and I still have Protect able to locate my device but often failing to send the alarm on the first try.

At this point, I don't have tons of features missing in BlackBerry 10 that I want, but I do wish there was a further push for quality control.

but he presented himself as MUCH more articulated, visible AND charismatic than both his predecessors combined ever were.
    Yeah - Jim was horrendous at public speaking and Mike was a nerd. They both seemed better at things like general meetings (Jim) or developer conferences (Mike) than in something public facing. Didn't think Thorsten was super at it either (nor Chen, to be honest). Honestly, the one I've liked the best in this department is Alec Saunders.

Mike and Jim of course deserve the credit for building a 20 billion dollar monolith and no one can take that little line on their resumes away from them. We never really got to see what BlackBerry 11 would look like with Thorsten because he didn't last and BlackBerry 10 really was Mike's baby that he happened to bring to market.
    Last edited by RubberChicken76; 02-26-14 at 09:36 AM.
    Pete The Penguin and Omnitech like this.
    02-26-14 09:25 AM
    i use blackberry 8900 .my pin 2629376F i need activation password. plz send my mail. morshedali53@yahoo.com
    02-26-14 09:39 AM
    How about a phone that can block calls? Is that asking you much? Or do I have to get an iPhone like everybody else for one basic feature?

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 09:50 AM
    5b Android apps officially supported and built in BlackBerry World.
    When?

Android Viber and Facebook app are so laggy for now.
    02-26-14 11:02 AM
    Next in the pipeline I hope it's the BIS email..

Next we will be bringing-back DDT, the Dalkon Shield, Thalidomide for pregnant women, and the Ford Pinto.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-26-14 11:22 AM
    Did it ever occur to you why Apple never puts model numbers on their devices?
    They do though.. Unless im misunderstanding what your saying?

Wouldnt the '3' '4' '4s' '5' '5s' '5c' etc be model numbers?

EDIT: Looking back at the comment you replied to, I think you meant Apple doesnt put 'spec sheets' on their devices?
    02-26-14 11:23 AM

Hotmail? I use @mybusiness.com not hotmail.

As has been pointed-out repeatedly and in detail before:

A) Your provider is over-charging you
    B) Outlook.com (ie Hotmail, etc) can be used with private domains now

Most people pay the same price you pay for email and get better functionality.
    02-26-14 11:26 AM
131 12345 ...