I know that a lot of us that loved our Playbooks got the most out of it by using the browser (as flawed/awesome as it was) and the great media playback.
    Now this has me thinking about our phones.

Saw this article Can the mobile Web win back developers from iOS, Android? - CNET and it got me thinking. (by the way, use Evolution Browser or any browser with ad-block for that link. CNET has gotten aggressive with ads.)

We now have what is supposed to be a browser that complies with most standards and gets "good" scores on HTML5 tests. Although it's strange that the BB10 browser isn't Cascades. Feels weird to not have "swipe from the top" for settings like on most awesome native apps.

But now that we also have the ability to run Android apps on our phones, I wonder which side of the debate we fall into.

Would an awesome web-app be better for us than an awesome Android app that works on our BlackBerry phones? Which would be better for the BlackBerry OS and its users?

I remember we used to post up links to web pages that "played nice" with our Playbooks, so I know there's potential with web-apps, even though there are some disadvantages.

I log in to FaceBook maybe twice a week on my Q10 and it's using the website, I prefer it over the native app.
    I guess there are some types of apps that should be native, but others that would be fine as just web-apps once web developers get their game on point lol

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2558 CB10
    Last edited by jope28; 03-15-15 at 12:14 PM.
    03-15-15 11:01 AM
    Sorry.
    Double post
    03-15-15 11:02 AM
    I like when I can get what I need from a pinned Web link vs being bound by an app. Especially the way apps disappear from BBW. I like BlackBerry, our app selection isn't great, working around them comes natural.

But I'm in the minority. General public likes apps and prefers the simplicity and ease of an app.

Posted via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    03-15-15 11:08 AM
    I found that one app in particular is really only a repackaged mobile site. Why would I use up storage for an app when I can create a book mark on the home screen?

Posted via CB10
    jope28 and Bbnivende like this.
    03-15-15 01:20 PM
    Depending on the required functionality, web apps make the most sense.

- They run in what is effectively a cross platform runtime environment, a web browser. This insulates the web app from a whole raft of variables that limit traditional software.

- They are made using well documented, standards based programming languages, making them easier to create and maintain (and also easier to train people to program).

- The platform independence of the web browser means that both developers and users can get the most use out of the web app with the least amount of fuss. It should be as easy as visiting the site to enjoy latest version of the program. And old versions can still be maintained.

The big downside to web apps is that they often can't make use of the physical hardware they're running on, while still being platform independent. "Browser based" MMO games are good example, because they simply use the browser to launch a platform dependent program. They don't really run in the browser, in many cases (some do). This isn't an issue for stuff like tax software, but can be a big stumbling point (or money pit) for a CAD software company who wants to make their software into a web app. Not insurmountable issues, but definitely a work in progress by all browser and hardware makers.

Posted via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    03-15-15 01:46 PM
    HTML5 rocks. Much better than Android/iOS native apps. Design the App and it works with all platforms. Cost and time effective for DEV's.

Posted via CB10
    03-16-15 09:22 AM
    The basic rationale originally for the app explosion was for Apple to monetise the shortcomings of the iPhone. No Flash: here's how to build a package around a mobile website. Small screen size: here's how to optimise for our size display in HTML5 content.

Yes, there were apps previously all the way back to Nokia feature phones, but they added features not generally available as opposed to serving up media your device can't natively handle.

Overall, as HTML5 is becoming more prevalent on the web, mobile sites are beginning to have the same logic as their app counterparts. Even full sites like PayPal aren't that dissimilar from the logic of an app.

There are a few sites that I've pinned shortcuts to, and the list is growing since I'm not missing anything and often the performance is better from the mobile site.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 07:11 AM
    I've pinned quite a few sites too.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 05:08 PM
    Website of course. I am a strong believer that 90% of apps should just be websites.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 07:03 PM
    The problem is that browser apps don't provide any notifications, if they did I'd delete all the android apps off of my BlackBerry quickly.

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 07:09 PM
    The problem is that browser apps don't provide any notifications, if they did I'd delete all the android apps off of my BlackBerry quickly.

Posted via CB10
    I've always felt that a part of installing a Web app, or an html5 app would be the notifications module.

Alternatively, more websites could support things like ifttt and pushbullet, which would make it one push notifications platform, even for apps not installed on the device.

As well as app that would otherwise not support notifications.

Not to mention a standard platform for pushes would make it easier for amateur Web devlopers.

If for example, there was an open source push notitfication platform (like pushbullet) you'd really only need everyone to tap into it, rather than having separate push services for BB, iOS, Android, WP, etc,

Posted via CB10
    03-19-15 07:34 PM
    This battle has been fought and won already.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    03-20-15 04:15 PM
    Regarding push notifications. It should be possible if the html5 app is distributed as a Cordova(webworks in bb10?) app. We've done that for both Android and iOS.
    03-20-15 04:22 PM
    Web/HTML5 apps have already been championed numerous times, but always falls short in performance to native apps. Performance is sub-par, hardware fragmentation is exponentially worse, and all too often it's reliant upon an Internet connection. The majority of developers that attempt web/HTML5 apps run screaming back to native development.

Via Tapatalk
    anon1727506 and mikeo007 like this.
    03-20-15 04:24 PM
    Web/HTML5 apps have already been championed numerous times, but always falls short in performance to native apps. Performance is sub-par, hardware fragmentation is exponentially worse, and all too often it's reliant upon an Internet connection. The majority of developers that attempt web/HTML5 apps run screaming back to native development.
    Via Tapatalk
    Yes it will not feel as snappy as a native app. But there are ways to improve things like fastclick.js, SPA and more. If you are building a system for doing inventory, reporting anomalies and similar that doesn't need that super fast UI. HTML5 is the way to go. Especially if you don't have a bunch of native developers for all platforms (who has?). Most developer firms have a bunch of web developers. So I'd say HTML5 is good enough for most applications.

-- edit --
    Using Cordova/Webworks actually makes the app fully functional offline unless it needs services(but that also applies to native apps).
    Last edited by ZedMacahan; 03-20-15 at 05:08 PM.
    jope28 likes this.
    03-20-15 04:37 PM
    I will say this. We want web apps to become more popular because BB10 has very few apps. If BB had more native apps there would be no "web apps are the future and we should force app neutrality" thing. The cutting edge will always be native apps on each platform.
    03-21-15 07:11 AM
    I will say this. We want web apps to become more popular because BB10 has very few apps. If BB had more native apps there would be no "web apps are the future and we should force app neutrality" thing. The cutting edge will always be native apps on each platform.
    Well, Google doesn't have "very few apps" and they're getting creative with Web apps as well now. http://www.cnet.com/news/with-fizz-g...to-mobile-web/

Attachment 348439
    Attachment 348440

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2726 CB10
    04-20-15 11:52 AM
    Well, Google doesn't have "very few apps" and they're getting creative with Web apps as well now. With Fizz, Google hopes to bring new power to mobile Web - CNET

Attachment 348439
    Attachment 348440

[Hopefully NOT edited by admin to be fair lol. ] Frosty White Q10/10.3.1.2726 CB10
    Not bad, not bad at all. But from what the article mentions it will only be supported in Chrome for now, and in no way yet a w3c standard. I am not sure how this will help BB for now.
    04-20-15 01:50 PM
    Not bad, not bad at all. But from what the article mentions it will only be supported in Chrome for now, and in no way yet a w3c standard. I am not sure how this will help BB for now.
    From the article "...Komoroske is confident they'll all be hammered into standards and adopted more widely so people with other browsers besides Chrome can benefit, and ultimately so the Web itself can.."

The whole idea is that any browser will take advantage of it. That's the whole point of Web-apps. They even linked to the article in the OP in that new story. BlackBerry would update browser, just as everyone else, to optimize for this. Baby steps. It's a process. Won't be overnight to get any standards. Just look at HTML5 and how tough the road to standards there have been.
    BlackBerry is aware of their app situation, so it's prudent to think that they'll jump on this just as they did with HTML5 test scores from the onset.

04-21-15 11:08 AM
    For me it is easy, web apps if a web app can already do all of what I need. Yes, even on the Nexus 6 I am using now, I prefer web app to native app whenever possible. Web app only loads up in the browser and links can be opened in multiple tabs and loaded in parallel. Native app typically cannot do so unless specifically special coding is done. Plus, since they are just browser bookmarks they don't take up much storage space on the phone beyond some persistent cookies and browser cache stuffs. So it really depends on the nature of the application and the user's needs.
    04-21-15 11:33 AM
    I recently ditched the CBC news Android app when I discovered their mobile web app was actually much better.

Posted via CB10 with BB Passport
    04-21-15 11:46 AM
    I agree concerning cutting edge, I prefer native apps as they are closer to, or are using the same UI guidelines as the overall OS. And they are faster.

But as a developer I believe the HTML5 road is much more rational. If a customer came asking for a native BB10 app I would get really excited. Has not happened yet, go figure.. Mostly they want apps that works on as many platforms as possible, as cheap as possible.
    04-21-15 11:55 AM
    HTML5 rocks. Much better than Android/iOS native apps. Design the App and it works with all platforms. Cost and time effective for DEV's.
    When BlackBerry decided to bring BBM to the iOS and Android platforms, how come they didn't use HTML5? Instead they chose to develop native apps.
    Soulstream and mikeo007 like this.
    04-22-15 12:10 AM
    When BlackBerry decided to bring BBM to the iOS and Android platforms, how come they didn't use HTML5? Instead they chose to develop native apps.
    Is that a serious question at this point in Web standards (or lack there of)?

Many threads on these forums have talked about which types of apps would need certain api's and would best be native and which types would be great to have as web-apps.
    Both cases have pros and cons.

With BBM, take a wild guess which category that would fall under lol.

04-22-15 12:10 PM