10-03-13 11:03 AM
197 ... 678
tools
    I think you guys are giving up faith on bb10 too soon, it's great and ingenious, it would be a crime to give up on it.
    I could be wrong and I hope I'm not but I think it's going to grow,
    If it had be advertised like Samsung or apple get out there then it would have taken the world by the balls.
    Two things can happen. BlackBerry can be murdered or it can be pumped using good marketing...

Thanks superfly for the news
    BlackBerry committed suicide.... at this point no amount of resuscitation (or marketing) is going to bring them back.

Z10 is an OK pieces of hardware - SHOULD have been much better to launch the new platform and to justify the premium price. BB10 has some nice features, but does need more work to provide some additional features that are missing - the initial launch version was a battery draining, rebooting nightmare, and that was a mistake on BB part. It cost them a lot of carrier good will!

But ultimately BB10 is a ship in search of an ocean to sail in. Without Apps that people use every day, it is worthless (at least in my area)... BB10 isn't compatible with peoples lives... If they go to their Bank and BB10 isn't supported, if they go to their favorite department store and can't access a coupon because BB10 isn't supported, if the go to their favorite restaurant and can't get their reward points because BB10 isn't supported, if their friends are all playing some new social game but BB10 is supported...

Do you see why people may like the hardware, they may love the UI, but they still can't use these devices in their lives? (and no people aren't going to carry two devices when only one can do it all)

The only crime committed is the fact that BlackBerry allowed five years to go buy after the release of the iPhone before launching BB10. If BlackBerry was really so great and ingenious, they should have foreseen that BBOS was not a platform that could be built upon. That at some point a more computer like OS was going to be needed - development of that OS should have begun before Apple even release iOS on the world. And they should NEVER allowed their marketshare to be stolen from them without a fight!
    tstrike34 and richardat like this.
    09-25-13 08:17 AM
    You're engaging in some hair-splitting here. If I've overreached in some of my statements, it was in good faith, but the bottom line is that the reason the JB runtime is being implemented is to improve the performance and stability of Android ports, and there's some indication it was done at the insistence of major app publishers. You can quibble all you want about how effective you expect it to be ultimately, but it still stands to improve the situation overall.
    If you can't see the difference between "hoping" that your weak thesis is true and proclaiming your weak thesis is true, then there's no point in trying to explain it to you.

Common sense would dictate that there had to be a reason for them to implement the JB runtime.
    But the bottom line is you have no idea of the reason the JB runtime is being implemented.
    And you have no idea whether or not it will attract any additional developers.
    richardat likes this.
    09-25-13 08:22 AM
    What has his track record been with respect to other companies he has acquired? How many has he just chopped up and sold for parts?

What do people think Watsa is going to say right now? That he plans on chopping up BBRY like a stolen car??...LOL. Of course he says he plans on keeping long term, what potential buyer ever say they are going to break up company before it is actually theirs?? Come on people use a little common sense.
    09-25-13 09:09 AM
    I think you guys are giving up faith on bb10 too soon, it's great and ingenious, it would be a crime to give up on it.
    I could be wrong and I hope I'm not but I think it's going to grow,
    If it had be advertised like Samsung or apple get out there then it would have taken the world by the balls.
    Two things can happen. BlackBerry can be murdered or it can be pumped using good marketing...

Thanks superfly for the news
    You seriously suggesting they are gonna chuck millions into a marketing relaunch when is already bombed and the carriers and apps developers have walked away? You get one shot at these things, and sadly they blew it big time. Watsa isn't going to gamble with investor money, he's gonna asset strip and turn a profit.
    Etios and richardat like this.
    09-25-13 09:34 AM
    Actions speak louder than words. Effectively using Blackberry's cash to buy the company makes US leveraged buyout shysters look like angels. Fairfax stands to profit many billions of dollars by breaking the company up soon after he completes the buyout. The likelyhood of him keeping Blackberry together is between slim and none.
    Etios and tstrike34 like this.
    09-25-13 10:36 AM
    What keeps me puzzling is that TH said from day one that tough times would come for BlackBerry, that we won't see a profits for several quarters, even Prem Watsa said himself that it's a long term investment that will pay off in 4-5 years from now ... If this is not news and Prem went and bid on it, what I think is he's on to something, he knew what was in the pipeline and he wanted to make sure that he'd be having the necessary time to come to fruition and he had to take action. My gut feeling: Blackberry will be the enterprise front with BES and IT solutions for business and BBM will be the brand for the consumers, instead of blackberry smartphone we will see BBM smartphones, and BlackBerry should go back to what they did before with having 2 handsets max ( 2 querty high and low - 2 touch high and low) with a refresh of 1 year in between.
    georg22 likes this.
    09-25-13 02:50 PM
    Prem Watsa is either a genius or a fool. We will see which one that is if the deal goes through. I am holding my comments until this deal is truly in the books.
    09-25-13 02:55 PM
    What keeps me puzzling is that TH said from day one that tough times would come for BlackBerry, that we won't see a profits for several quarters, even Prem Watsa said himself that it's a long term investment that will pay off in 4-5 years from now ... If this is not news and Prem went and bid on it, what I think is he's on to something, he knew what was in the pipeline and he wanted to make sure that he'd be having the necessary time to come to fruition and he had to take action. My gut feeling: Blackberry will be the enterprise front with BES and IT solutions for business and BBM will be the brand for the consumers, instead of blackberry smartphone we will see BBM smartphones, and BlackBerry should go back to what they did before with having 2 handsets max ( 2 querty high and low - 2 touch high and low) with a refresh of 1 year in between.
    When Thor said that... he expect to sell a bunch of Z10's at launch, a bunch of Q10's at launch and the continue to sell more and more devices.

What they got was a bunch of dead stock that they aren't able to sell at the levels that they wanted too - or maybe at all... And it is apparent that no "new" device is going to change consumers minds.

I agree that they devices for two different markets - but both needed to be able to access the same ecosystem. At this point I'm sorry but they don't have the cash nor the time to try again. You can hope that Fairfax (or someone) buys BB and that they are willing to invest a LOT of money into re launching BB as either an enterprise only (doubt it would work) or as a consumer product (doubt it would work).

As for BBM.... I guess that has replaced the QNX rally cry.....
    09-25-13 03:05 PM
    Actions speak louder than words. Effectively using Blackberry's cash to buy the company makes US leveraged buyout shysters look like angels. Fairfax stands to profit many billions of dollars by breaking the company up soon after he completes the buyout. The likelyhood of him keeping Blackberry together is between slim and none.
    If you understood the Blackberry model, you would realize that breaking up the company is worthless as individual parts. MDM without NOC is worthless. BBM without NOC is worthless. NOC without BBM and/or MDM is worthless. MDM without a non-client MDM smartphone is worthless. All that is left is Cash and patents. Neither would be enough to make billions of dollars. The only way to make billions of dollars is to have something that is worth billions to someone who wants to buy it. The separate pieces are worthless individually.
    09-25-13 03:14 PM
    Only way BB can get back in the market is through there enterprise business. Old BBOS devices are still used by corporations (really doesnt matter how many for what I want to say) and the only way they can get the new devices seeded is to basically give them away to corporate customers with BES installs. They have to go back to where they started. Companies that believe BYOD is crap and they do exist.

TH was right, BB was and is taking it in the ear, head, chest and junk. They have to give away as much as is needed to prove BB10 is a platform worth using. Even if that means writing custom apps for enterprise clients.
    09-25-13 03:16 PM
    Is it really what he wanted ? I mean for someone looking to sell a bunch what has he done really to improve the sales ? The marketing has been zero, when the executives went around different stations to promote lackberry what happenned, a spike in the stocks but after that we haven't heard a peepl from them, and seriously the marketing effort has been ridiculous ... IMO, it was all staged, they wanted to end up like that, if it was different they would've never came with the z30 and put the bbm cross-platform and TH would've never gave himself a deadline of november to come to a resolution.
    09-25-13 03:30 PM
    i don't believe it. Blackberry cannot make money to pay off Fairfax's debt to but it out. So it has no choice but to break it down and sell it in chunks.
    Teachers Pension already expressed interest in some of BB.
    09-25-13 03:31 PM
    i don't believe it. Blackberry cannot make money to pay off Fairfax's debt to but it out. So it has no choice but to break it down and sell it in chunks.
    Teachers Pension already expressed interest in some of BB.
    Please tell us how you would break it down into chunks? What would the value be of each chunk?
    09-25-13 03:49 PM
    LOL, call it a prediction
    Here what could happen...

BBM will be a separate entity
    Hardware division will be sold to Lenovo or equivalent
    Security and enterprise software solutions will remain as BB
    QNX will likely be sold
    09-25-13 03:59 PM
    LOL, call it a prediction
    Here what could happen...

BBM will be a separate entity
    Hardware division will be sold to Lenovo or equivalent
    Security and enterprise software solutions will remain as BB
    QNX will likely be sold
    BBM doesn't work without the NOC.
    MDM solution doesn't work without the NOC and isn't as secure without a non-client hardware phone.
    QNX is worth about 100-200 million tops.
    Hardware by all the naysayers is worthless.

SO where are all the BILLIONS that Fairfax is going to make???
    09-25-13 04:09 PM
    Mate, I agree to a point BUT there were so many things around it that were sub par. The ecosystem, the quirks of the software, the tarnished brand, the carriers non committal marketing, Blackberry's atrocious marketing, the inability to get big name app developers, the legacy features that were missing, the lies to Playbook owners, the delayed execution of delivery, the inability to launch effectively in the US. Shall I go on? They had all the money and manpower in the world to do all that and more and yet still managed to screw the pooch.

Honestly, I think this has been a For Sale exercise for many months and I think shareholders are going to get royally screwed.
    Saiga you have no idea what your talking about, first your saying bb10 /qnx was a bad idea and they should have went with Android but now your agreeing with the issues listed here (which of course are true) as the blame. Android would have been a huge mistake so get over it.
    09-25-13 05:55 PM
    Saiga you have no idea what your talking about, first your saying bb10 /qnx was a bad idea and they should have went with Android but now your agreeing with the issues listed here (which of course are true) as the blame. Android would have been a huge mistake so get over it.
    You do realize that you didn't quote me correct? I'm pretty sure your error here would imply that you literally do not know what you're talking about. Or at least not whom you're talking about.

Thanks for the laugh though.
    mikeo007 and richardat like this.
    09-25-13 06:49 PM
    So, after all the strange news today about the cancelation of the conference call, I have a question: If the stock tanks further, can Fairfax reduce the price to something below the preset $9/share?

Thanks to anyone who can provide insight into this.

BBQ10
    09-25-13 06:56 PM
    So, after all the strange news today about the cancelation of the conference call, I have a question: If the stock tanks further, can Fairfax reduce the price to something below the preset $9/share?

Thanks to anyone who can provide insight into this.

BBQ10
    They have until Nov 4 for due diligence. They can wrap up the deal earlier if they want. During due diligence they have the option to lower their offer if they "discover something material that they didn't know about when the offer was made." These are my words. Obviously, this is a double edged sword, because PW was a BoD member up until a month ago, he SHOULD know all about the skeletons in the closet. If he wants to lower the offer, he will. Personally, I think he's stealing the silverware.
    clickitykeys likes this.
    09-25-13 10:12 PM
    They have until Nov 4 for due diligence. They can wrap up the deal earlier if they want. During due diligence they have the option to lower their offer if they "discover something material that they didn't know about when the offer was made." These are my words. Obviously, this is a double edged sword, because PW was a BoD member up until a month ago, he SHOULD know all about the skeletons in the closet. If he wants to lower the offer, he will. Personally, I think he's stealing the silverware.
    The silverware ended up being plated and neglected.

It is HARD to imagine that the once mighty BlackBerry is only worth $7 or $8 Billion dollars... but it is becoming more and more likely that is the case. I don't think Fairfax's offering $4 - $5 Billion is too far out of line. Now if you were in the group that believed the $15 - $20 B Valuation, I can see how $5 B is a hard number to accept. And maybe the majority of stockholders need to see one more ER before the approve an offer that low... The future does look bleak, but we really have had very many quarters where revenues didn't beat expenditures.
    09-26-13 07:27 AM
    You do realize that you didn't quote me correct? I'm pretty sure your error here would imply that you literally do not know what you're talking about. Or at least not whom you're talking about.

Thanks for the laugh though.
    The old model centurians were none too swift. That's why they needed the twinkly conehead models to direct them....
    (if you get this, you're an old nerd like me)
    10-03-13 12:21 AM
    I don't know how or who it will take to make BlackBerry successful again, but my gut tells me they will find a way. When this happens, it will be a great day because all the naysayers will have to find someone else to beat up on. Long live the most innovative smartphone company ever.

Posted via CB10
    10-03-13 11:03 AM
197 ... 678