10-03-13 12:03 PM
197 ... 34567 ...
tools
    THAT IS THE WRITE DOWN ... they had the on the books already as shipped and presumed sold at full price. The write down is catching up to reality they are not $650 phones. If they priced correctly instead of assuming they have millions of captive sales things might have been different
    09-24-13 08:51 AM
    I think it's important to distinguish between business and emotion.

2. Mike L. coming back is a pure emotional move. Mike L. was the founding father of the technology. That doesn't mean he has a clue business wise. In fact. one could easily argue for the alternative. How many of you were happy when he left? What has changed?
    I was glad when Mike and Jim left, I'll admit it. Because his short-sightedness led to the company's downfall; buy I never questioned his commitment or his sincerity in wanting success for his company.

What has changed? He was replaced by a new CEO who I now firmly believe was put there for the sole purpose of selling the company. In retrospect, everything that has happened since that time has so perfectly led to this point that I have a very hard time believing it wasn't always the intended end game.

But I think bringing Mike back is more than just an emotional or symbolic move. I think it would clearly demonstrate that their intentions for going private are indeed to deliver what Watsa has stated, and not to strip the company down for parts. This is me being hopeful here; but the reality is, I think it's still 50-50 that it could go either way.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-24-13 09:01 AM
    I was glad when Mike and Jim left, I'll admit it. Because his short-sightedness led to the company's downfall; buy I never questioned his commitment or his sincerity in wanting success for his company.

What has changed? He was replaced by a new CEO who I now firmly believe was put there for the sole purpose of selling the company. In retrospect, everything that has happened since that time has so perfectly led to this point that I have a very hard time believing it wasn't always the intended end game.

But I think bringing Mike back is more than just an emotional or symbolic move. I think it would clearly demonstrate that their intentions for going private are indeed to deliver what Watsa has stated, and not to strip the company down for parts. This is me being hopeful here; but the reality is, I think it's still 50-50 that it could go either way.
    Sorry, but from my perspective, that's emotional. Mike L. is the tech guy. They need a business minded savior. And Prem Watsa is a money manager. So, who runs the company? Hopefully not TH!!
    09-24-13 09:06 AM
    Sorry, but from my perspective, that's emotional. Mike L. is the tech guy. They need a business minded savior. And Prem Watsa is a money manager. So, who runs the company? Hopefully not TH!!
    I think they still need the vision of 'the tech guy', which is why I think it's more than emotional, although emotion certainly does play into it as well. He isn't an id!ot; I'm sure he knows where he went wrong. And don't forget, BB did first get its claws on QNX under his watch. He made some mistakes, but that doesn't mean that everything he did was wrong. And I'm not suggesting bringing him back to steer the ship anyway -- only in an advisory kind of role.

Who runs the company? Hopefully Prem and whatever is left of the board will use their heads, tap into some industry expertise, and put somebody in there with a proven track record who knows what they are doing and isn't just a paper figurehead. And I completely agree, that person is not TH.
    09-24-13 09:17 AM
    09-24-13 09:44 AM
    And don't forget, BB did first get its claws on QNX under his watch. He made some mistakes, but that doesn't mean that everything he did was wrong.
    I agree that not everything he did was wrong, but it seems as though the QNX deal has been accepted as the right thing to do despite multiple contra-indications. At this point, none of the QNX-based products have been successful. In fact, the two QNX-based products on sale for the longest time have been responsible for all of the company's recent inventory struggles and write downs. So I have to ask. . .what good has QNX done for the company? Why is the QNX acquisition seen as a good idea, even as all of the products based on it (thus far) have failed to succeed?
    09-24-13 10:56 AM
    You cannot have an enterprise solution without an enterprise handset.
    Yes, but you can provide an enterprise solution without having to provide the handsets. You'll note that BES10 servers work with iPhones and Android-based devices. Being successful in MDM does not require making handsets. Does IBM or Good make handsets?
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-24-13 11:15 AM
    Yes, but you can provide an enterprise solution without having to provide the handsets. You'll note that BES10 servers work with iPhones and Android-based devices. Being successful in MDM does not require making handsets. Does IBM or Good make handsets?
    What BB10/BES 10 provides is not comparable to other MDM solutions. If you take BES10 devices out of of the mix, then you can only provide the exact same solutions as all the other MDM solutions as every MDM provider will have access to the exact same control APIs. So now you are competing with IBM and Good with no value added offering. That does not make business sense.

A secure MDM solution MUST have a phone that will wipe itself if lost/stolen and it MUST have the ability to provide the MDM without a client installed. In our evaluation of MDM solutions, without these two points, you only are fooling yourself that it can be secure.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    09-24-13 11:27 AM
    If you take BES10 devices out of of the mix, then you can only provide the exact same solutions as all the other MDM solutions as every MDM provider will have access to the exact same control APIs. So now you are competing with IBM and Good with no value added offering. That does not make business sense.
    Even if that were true -- that there is no differentiation between Good and IBM because they both provide the same stock MDM implementation, as interchangeable as ketchup, a ludicrous notion -- it's still a viable market for them and one in which they have an excellent reputation. The handset market? Not so much.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-24-13 11:36 AM
    The bottom line is PM is accountable to his Fairfax shareholders not BB's. He is making a business decision to make more money for Fairfax not BB. What ever sentimental value he has for BB means nothing if he can't turn the company round. At the end of the day he will break it apart and sell it to make some money if nothing pans out. It will be sooner rather than later.
    09-24-13 11:39 AM
    IMO. Seems a bit early to sing praises when we really don't know what's going to happen after the ink is dry. Cautiously hoping for the best. Mike has retired and moved on. Somehow, I could see him still having some input in an Advisory position.
    Last edited by Blacklatino; 09-24-13 at 02:54 PM.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    09-24-13 12:26 PM
    "delivering superior and secure enterprise solutions"

This tells me BB10 and consumers are gone.
    I might have missed it, but what does it mean for people who already have a BB10 handset? Will those handsets still be supported?
    09-24-13 12:36 PM
    Funny, the majority of the 700+ million iPhone users aren't struggling at all.
    thats because all those 700+ mill are sheep who also bought the 5 and 5 s and hey might even be convinced they want a pink iphone 5c aswell wheres the guy you replied to is not a sheep although iphones are not hard to use at all
    09-24-13 12:36 PM
    The bottom line is PM is accountable to his Fairfax shareholders not BB's. He is making a business decision to make more money for Fairfax not BB. What ever sentimental value he has for BB means nothing if he can't turn the company round. At the end of the day he will break it apart and sell it to make some money if nothing pans out. It will be sooner rather than later.
    Sounds like good business sense to me.
    09-24-13 12:37 PM
    Good thing that 95% of the people on CrackBerry have no interest in an 'enterprise handset', eh?

Retreat from the consumer space and there's no going back once app development dries up. Plus your big brand name loses value with consumers...
    And why do you think they have released BBM multi-platform ?
    This is the breadcrumb between the consumers and BlackBerry. And it's here to last. That's a very valuable brand recognition tool.
    09-24-13 12:42 PM
    Yes give one to Bieber

8330--8530--9670--palm pre--palm pixi--HTC evo shift--9850--9930--iphone 4--iphone 5--HTC One--Galaxy s3--Galaxy s4--Z10--Q10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-24-13 12:44 PM
    Sorry, but from my perspective, that's emotional. Mike L. is the tech guy. They need a business minded savior [...]
    As a CEO ... but as a CTO ? Mike back at the board as the CTO if far enough to sit Prem's intentions. IMHO
    09-24-13 12:48 PM
    thats because all those 700+ mill are sheep who also bought the 5 and 5 s and hey might even be convinced they want a pink iphone 5c aswell wheres the guy you replied to is not a sheep although iphones are not hard to use at all
    can't come up with anything original so used the typical sheep joke? u totally don't look like a follower
    09-24-13 12:53 PM
    I agree that not everything he did was wrong, but it seems as though the QNX deal has been accepted as the right thing to do despite multiple contra-indications. At this point, none of the QNX-based products have been successful. In fact, the two QNX-based products on sale for the longest time have been responsible for all of the company's recent inventory struggles and write downs. So I have to ask. . .what good has QNX done for the company? Why is the QNX acquisition seen as a good idea, even as all of the products based on it (thus far) have failed to succeed?
    I can only answer this with another question: what platform would have done better (and PLEASE do not suggest Android)??

QNX was not the point of failure here.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-24-13 01:41 PM
    IMO. Seems a bit early to sing praises when we really don't know what's going to happen after the ink is dry. Catiously hoping for the best. Mike has retired and moved on. Somehow, I could see him still having some input in an Advisory position.
    Yup. I don't see anyone suggesting Mike would come back to lead the company -- if he were to come back at all. But in a technical advisory type role, that would go a long way toward reassuring that Watsa is acting in good faith.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    09-24-13 01:47 PM
    BB can still have handsets made for them, they just have to outsource it versus manufacturing them themselves. They design the specs, have the handsets built and then put the BB10 on them. BB10 is the software, they just don't need to MAKE the hardware!! BB10 is what drives everything, allows security to perform and allows remote wipes. BB10 is the main asset. As one can see, hardware becomes commoditized very quickly. As much as the iPhone 5S looks like a successful launch, they launched in over 100 countries!! A logistical nightmare but Apple carried it off. Still, will there be the sell through on these units? Most people I know are happy with the phones they have and don't need to upgrade every couple of years. It is only if their carrier "contract" comes up will they look at upgrading. Even Apple's new OS is not something everyone will be able to upgrade to right away. There are millions of 8 gig iphones in the market that will barely store iOS 7 and still allow the owner to store a few apps and pics on it. They may upgrade to a new iphone when the contract comes up but, still in Canada, iphone 4S are for sale via the carriers!! That is two generations old tech!! I think it highlights the amount of inventory still in the system and how much more efficient the carriers have to be with their inventory. Where in the past they may have fought to get inventory from Apple, now they need to be very careful when taking on new inventory. Unless the new phones can capture the consumer imagination, it is likely the consumer will look and say iphone 4S runs iOS 7 and is enough for me! Sales of new models will not be as robust!! Great hype from Apple on lineups at the Apple stores, but that is old hat that the media keeps on buying into. Smart phone sales are pretty lacklustre at this point in most of the developed countries. So, BB can still be a niche player with secure handsets, made by others. The 4500 employee layoff is manufacturing personell and other employees, like overstaffed legacy OS areas that need to be downsized. Yes, BB can survive, it just won't be the growth model that public financial markets demand. It will be downsized and built up over time. The potential is there and maybe a more focused approach will benefit the company. What Fairfax really needs to do is announce who its partners are. The market is looking at this "takeover" as a cover to hold the stock price up otherwise it was in freefall. If Fairfax doesn't keep the market informed of how things are going with the takeover, the stock price will probably not buy into the takeover talk and ultimately the stock price will still be weak.
    09-24-13 02:12 PM
    As much as the iPhone 5S looks like a successful launch, they launched in over 100 countries!!
    While I'd love to tackle the rest of your rant, if the "facts" you purvey are anything like what I've quoted, I'd be wasting my time.

It was 11 countries, just for your records.
    09-24-13 02:17 PM
    I can only answer this with another question: what platform would have done better (and PLEASE do not suggest Android)??

QNX was not the point of failure here.
    No, QNX wasnt the point of failure. (But it hasn't been a pivot point or advantage either...)

No OS could have saved BBRY. The timing, Blackberry being too late, was the point of failure. Other platforms had gotten so good, and gotten such a headstart that no OS could have made the difference.

You know what could have saved Blackberry? Android. Developing QNX was a good move, but it took too long. If Blackberry had made a secure fork of Android back in 2010-2011 things might have looked very differently.
    09-24-13 02:19 PM
    iphone sucks,and me worried what if bb goes in the dark
    09-24-13 02:29 PM
    Ahhh! Good old Mike 007!! Wonder what Apple fans I would get to come out of the woodwork. Are you happy now with events at Blackberry? Happy that your bashing has helped hurt Blackberry (there is a good feed to your ego, letting you think you have had a hand in that!!) You are a psycho, one of many that seem to want to hang out and "protect" all things Apple on a Blackberry fan site!! You really need to take a look at yourself and get some help. Constant posts that are always negative towards Blackberry. You really need to go to a few of the Apple fan sites (whatever they are cause as a Blackberry fan and not really in anyway, an Apple fan as I have no need to troll their sites. I have no interest in visiting any of them). Hope you get some help for your sickness. What will you do if Crackberry goes down too? Guess there is always Android to go bash eh!! Try to have a happier life. Look to the light!! Look to the light!! And of course the obligatory internet LOL!
    09-24-13 02:43 PM
197 ... 34567 ...