10-03-13 12:03 PM
197 12345 ...
tools
    He didn't say they required it.

Posted via CB10
    He claimed they wouldn't want to support older Android apps, when in fact there would be no need to support anything older than their current apps.

Don't you have some "negative nancys" to go complain about?
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-23-13 09:30 PM
    Granted, but there's no slot on the balance sheet for people that are "impressed' but don't actually buy.
    Actually there is. It would be the cash balance not spent on marketing to make the EV more tempting for a potential buyer, and someone also impressed enough to make the leap like Watsa claims.

Truly, only time will tell as I believe the situation as it stands right now is fluid. Of course we all like simplistic, concrete answers for everything.
    pcguy514 likes this.
    09-23-13 09:33 PM
    He claimed they wouldn't want to support older Android apps, when in fact there would be no need to support anything older than their current apps.

Don't you have some "negative nancys" to go complain about?
    I already did. Like I said, he didn't say they required it.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 09:34 PM
    I already did. Like I said, he didn't say they required it.

Posted via CB10
    He also didn't say pigs can fly. Do you have a point? There's more "negative" threads that need you to save them super fan, away!
    09-23-13 09:37 PM
    It's sad that the Windows phone will survive as the 3rd player. To be perfectly honest i have never actually seen anyone using a windows phone?
    See a lot of blackberries tho. I guess it all comes down to how Big your pocket books are and how much cash you can keep throwing on the fire until something sticks.

I really did think there was a market for a QWERTY phone. Boy was i wrong.
    09-23-13 09:39 PM
    He also didn't say pigs can fly. Do you have a point? There's more "negative" threads that need you to save them super fan, away!
    So much anger. My point is that you claimed he said they required it and he didn't. Don't you have a puppy to go kick?

Posted via CB10
    LuvULongTime, badiyee and pcguy514 like this.
    09-23-13 09:41 PM
    It's sad that the Windows phone will survive as the 3rd player. To be perfectly honest i have never actually seen anyone using a windows phone?
    See a lot of blackberries tho. I guess it all comes down to how Big your pocket books are and how much cash you can keep throwing on the fire until something sticks.

I really did think there was a market for a QWERTY phone. Boy was i wrong.
    I never see people with windows phones either but I also never see people with BlackBerry 10 devices.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-23-13 09:44 PM
    Actually there is. It would be the cash balance not spent on marketing to make the EV more tempting for a potential buyer, and someone also impressed enough to make the leap like Watsa claims.
    Creative, but buying a company with $2.6 billion in cash for $4.7 billion doesn't suggest a lot of faith in the company's current state. Also, the Watsa/Fairfax comments today certainly suggest that the focus will be on the enterprise, which doesn't bode well for BB10.

Truly, only time will tell as I believe the situation as it stands right now is fluid. Of course we all like simplistic, concrete answers for everything.
    When business is good, as BBRY's once was (and the company value was in excess of $80 billion), the answers were simple and concrete. They only become complex and "fluid" when the company's performance slipped.
    CrackedBarry likes this.
    09-23-13 09:46 PM
    Hey guys, I heard that Watsa said his first priority will be bringing BB10 to Playbook!! Hot ziggity zang!
    CrackedBarry and richardat like this.
    09-23-13 09:47 PM
    So much anger. My point is that you claimed he said they required it and he didn't. Don't you have a puppy to go kick?

Posted via CB10
    No anger here, just getting a chuckle out of the forum superheroes. There's only very few of you who still stand by the mantra that anyone who doesn't share your "Blackberry coloured glasses" POV must be a troll/hater/negative/shill.

I stand by my claim, it's exactly what he was implying, and has implied in his previous posts touting the new Android runtime as being some sort of app magnet. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a cat to pet. It'll be more intellectually stimulating than this "discussion" with current company.
    richardat and JeepBB like this.
    09-23-13 09:50 PM
    BlackBerry's biggest asset is already going to go - all of its cash. Why? Because Fairfax doesn't have the financing yet. It needs the $2.6B of Blackberry's cash just to buy up the $9 shares:

That last part may prove tough. Fairfax owns 10% of BlackBerry shares, valued at about $470 million. If all $2.6 billion of BlackBerry's cash was used to buy out other equity holders and Fairfax rolled over its own stake, it would still have to find roughly $1.6 billion to complete the deal.
    HEARD ON THE STREET: BlackBerry Isn't Ripe for the Picking - WSJ.com

Watsa definitely isn't going to keep Blackberry's cash in the company.
    09-23-13 09:52 PM
    No anger here, just getting a chuckle out of the forum superheroes. There's only very few of you who still stand by the mantra that anyone who doesn't share your "Blackberry coloured glasses" POV must be a troll/hater/negative/shill.

I stand by my claim, it's exactly what he was implying, and has implied in his previous posts touting the new Android runtime as being some sort of app magnet. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a cat to pet. It'll be more intellectually stimulating than this "discussion" with current company.
    If you aren't calling the strangers you debate with stupid it must mean they saw things the exact way you did. Certainly an interesting outlook you have. Enjoy your time with your cat. I know I enjoy my time with ours.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 09:57 PM
    There is no enterprise business. That's part of the reason they got in the mess they are in now. Back when only the top executives had smart phones, enterprises were willing to pay a premium for them to have the devices. They won't pay that premium any longer now that the rank and file employees all have them as well.

The consumer market drove the enterprise market. Long term the only hope they have is to go after kids...
    The problem is that those CEOs themselves are using iphones, why would they ask their IT folks to support bb platform instead?
    09-23-13 10:22 PM
    We will see I have high hopes but don't forget he was on the board while the whole thing collapsed.

Posted via CB10
    09-23-13 11:59 PM
    We will see I have high hopes but don't forget he was on the board while the whole thing collapsed.

Posted via CB10
    One vote though.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 12:12 AM
    As a developer, you are absolutely 100% mistaken if you think the Jelly Bean news will make any difference. All the announcements to date from BB are a clear and direct signal they have no interest in participating in the consumer market and this is an immediate "drop tools - cease work" for that small handful of developers that were even interested in BB10 in the first place.
    How do you explain Flipboard?
    SK122387 likes this.
    09-24-13 01:01 AM
    As a developer, you are absolutely 100% mistaken if you think the Jelly Bean news will make any difference. All the announcements to date from BB are a clear and direct signal they have no interest in participating in the consumer market and this is an immediate "drop tools - cease work" for that small handful of developers that were even interested in BB10 in the first place.
    I'm sorry.. my post mentioned not a word about Jelly Bean. Congrats on being a developer though.................
    09-24-13 01:15 AM
    New handset development, or OS or software development or grand marketing schemes are not on the drawing board. There isn't enough money to pay for those and there's $5 billion dollars to pay back to hungry banks.

The layoffs will start again and the company starts getting broken up into marketable segments and put on the market.

Within 18 months what you all think of as Blackberry will no longer exist. Period.

It's a simple formula that gets repeated 100's of time a year and the final outcome is usually pretty much predictable from the outset.

And no, this isn't the best outcome for BB.
    That is how these deals usually work.

And the thing that really makes me pessimistic about Watsas intentions is the price.
    After the three billion dollar cash that BBRY has is counted, they paid less than two billion dollars for it all. 1.5-1.7 billion dollars for all of their patents, QNX, BBM, MDM software, buildings, etc. etc. isn't a lot.

It would be easy for them to turn a tidy profit on breaking up BBRY.

At least if they had spent 5 billion dollars (after their cash holdings are counted) they would have some incentive to make BBRY work in the long haul to make their money back.

But at this price, its just too easy and tempting to just take the money and run.
    09-24-13 01:19 AM
    Didn't all the experts here recently value Blackberry's patent portfolio at about $4 to $5bn? And is BBM included in the deal, considering it was carved off into a separate entity?
    09-24-13 01:21 AM
    I'm sorry.. my post mentioned not a word about Jelly Bean. Congrats on being a developer though.................
    Obviously it was intended as a reply to Thunderbuck!
    09-24-13 01:24 AM
    How do you explain Flipboard?
    A company that has already sunk time and effort in to BB10 before BB declared themselves out of the consumer market figuring that they may as well release what they have.

New development on BB10 though even via Android? Absolutely forget it.
    richardat and mikeo007 like this.
    09-24-13 01:26 AM
    Here's my opinion :since watsa was on the board of blackberry and was privy to the state that the company was in,he shouldn't be allowed to take the company private.
    09-24-13 01:26 AM
    Didn't all the experts here recently value Blackberry's patent portfolio at about $4 to $5bn? And is BBM included in the deal, considering it was carved off into a separate entity?
    The bbm question is a very good one, maybe it isn't officially separate yet... wouldn't it have its own stock then? I'm not sure exactly how that works. As for the patents... i read 2-5 billion on various sources. which is why I said I was thinking under 5b for all is way too low... some people were saying bbm alone was $5 a share.

But, if bbm is separate and that goes for a couple bucks then that would brink the total to $11 per share which was one of the more talked about numbers (by speculators)

I'm pretty sure bbm is part of the deal though because I think BlackBerry only started the process

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 01:38 AM
    The bbm question is a very good one, maybe it isn't officially separate yet... wouldn't it have its own stock then? I'm not sure exactly how that works. As for the patents... i read 2-5 billion on various sources. which is why I said I was thinking under 5b for all is way too low... some people were saying bbm alone was $5 a share.

But, if bbm is separate and that goes for a couple bucks then that would brink the total to $11 per share which was one of the more talked about numbers (by speculators)

I'm pretty sure bbm is part of the deal though because I think BlackBerry only started the process

Posted via CB10
    The only way BBM would be a company with a trading stock is if you had seen an Offering Memorandum for a stock issue.

No one has seen that. Which means that in typical BB fashion it got talked about and nothing happened or they created a privately held company with 100% of the shares owned by BB, in which case it is included in the purchase offer.
    09-24-13 01:44 AM
    I totally agree with you, my personal thought is that Fairfax, and the people behind see value of the company as a whole and not to sell in pieces.
    I don't know how many different ways this can be said, but once again, Prem Watsa has no interest in the cell phone business or any other business in which BBRY might be involved by virtue of their intellectual property. Watsa is a money manager and is underwater on his BBRY position. He sees acquiring the whole company as the best way to try to limit his losses.

Watsa has carrying costs associated with the loans he takes to buy BBRY, and on the day he signs, he has to start writing cheques for all the cash the company is bleeding. He wants this over as soon as possible.

The only good news here for shareholders is that it's quite conceivable that another entity might step in and make a better offer.

It's all just a matter of time.
    kevinnugent and TGR1 like this.
    09-24-13 03:12 AM
197 12345 ...