OK I didn't know where to put this, so I'll leave this here. Discuss.

Canadian police 'obtained' BlackBerry master encryption key | ZDNet

Posted via CB10 with my  Classic. #WeAreBlackBerry.
    04-14-16 10:31 AM
    04-14-16 10:42 AM
    Plus, this is an old story. I don't know if it's relevant as we speak.

04-14-16 10:46 AM
    OK I didn't know where to put this, so I'll leave this here. Discuss.

Canadian police 'obtained' BlackBerry master encryption key | ZDNet

BBM does have a "master" key, most here I think have come to understand that only BES really make a BlackBerry secure. But most BlackBerry users in general don't really understand that.... thus the criminals that are being caught using regular BBM.

No an encrypted device with a really good complex password that's based on nothing personal and your are using BES along with BBM Protected. As long as you keep your communications "in house" you are VERY secure. That and all the other secured communications means that are poping up, are why authorities are looking to legislate backdoors being required.
    bakron1 likes this.
    04-14-16 10:53 AM
    BBM (a nice front end to PIN to PIN messaging) has never been truly secure, as messages are scrambled, rather than truly encrypted end-to-end. Most of BlackBerry community know this and the official documentation from BlackBerry mentions this too, it's just that very few bothered to read. BES is still as secure as it is because BlackBerry does not store the decryption key.

However, in the eyes of public, this revelation simply paints BlackBerry in even worse light.
    04-14-16 10:56 AM
    Thought this was pretty well known, well I guess the police having the master key is interesting, didn't expect that. But Chen has been clear that Blackberry cooperates and gives police requested information.

But articles like this won't help Blackberry.
    04-14-16 11:01 AM
    Chen has been clear that Blackberry cooperates and gives police requested information.
    Cooperation regarding certain persons considered criminals or enabling mass surveillance (are there still enough BB users to call them a "mass"? ) are two different things imho. Whatsapps step to include end-to-end-encryption is really what BB should have done years ago.
    04-14-16 11:04 AM
    Exactly.

04-14-16 11:04 AM
    Cooperation regarding certain persons considered criminals or enabling mass surveillance (are there still enough BB users to call them a "mass"? ) are two different things imho. Whatsapps step to include end-to-end-encryption is really what BB should have done years ago.
    Except that RIM/BBRY couldn't incorporate end to end encryption, because completely snoop proof communication is/was not the goal of BBM. BBM was created for Enterprise use, to give companies the ability to securely communicate within their infrastructure, with the added ability to monitor what information was being sent via BBM. End to end encryption would remove the ability to monitor employee communications. Consumers adopting BBM as a preferred method of communication doesn't nullify the point that BBM, at it's heart and soul, is a service designed for Enterprise use.
    04-14-16 11:15 AM
    I guess it's a good thing no one is buying Blackberry devices anymore.
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    04-14-16 11:17 AM
    @DenverRalphy Your points are nonsense as BB
    a) already offers snoop proof communication via BBM - called BBM Protected, designed for enterprise users. You just have to pay for it.
    b) could easily add a second non-secured communication channel that could be forced by BES admins.
    04-14-16 12:08 PM
    The only BBM messages that the RCMP can read are BBM messages sent from one legacy BB device to another via the cellular network. All other BBM messages are secured via TLS and not only by the global encryption code. That means that BBM communication that includes devices other than a BB legacy devices is not accessible by the RCMP. According to me that is what the following link tells me I'm not sure take a look: https://help.blackberry.com/en/bbm-s...560098144.html The PIN to PIN vulnerability has been known and warned for for years: Canadian Government Pans BlackBerry PIN-to-PIN Security | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    PantherBlitz and Jahcure like this.
    04-14-16 12:23 PM
    So much for blackberry security.
    Maxxxpower likes this.
    04-14-16 07:11 PM
    @ Cheeky Fox: as BB controls the keys, the additional TLS layer adds zero security. There is simply no excuse not to give users e2e encryption. Luckily, other companys care about their users and are not as strongly tied with governments who love mass surveillance and we can use competing products (that are not obsolete like BBM).
    04-15-16 05:29 AM
    @ Cheeky Fox: as BB controls the keys, the additional TLS layer adds zero security. There is simply no excuse not to give users e2e encryption. Luckily, other companys care about their users and are not as strongly tied with governments who love mass surveillance and we can use competing products (that are not obsolete like BBM).
    When there is TLS security the police can only read the messages when they have access to the BlackBerry servers, right? I would assume the police would need a good reason for that. Furthermore this all is not really news: it has been it has been in the terms of service of BBM for years that BB can provide information when this is required by authorities. But I completely agree that they should provide us with e2e encryption just like other messaging clients.
    04-15-16 12:19 PM
    04-15-16 05:36 PM